Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre?

Yes

No
    Too close to call

www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/June11sports/608pedroiatag.jpg">608pedroiatag.jpg

The Red Sox caught White Sox outfielder Juan Pierre in a rundown in the fifth inning of today's game, and Globe photographer Barry Chin caught the play with his camera.
    Umpire Marty Foster ruled Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia missed the tag and Pierre was safe at second, which prompted protests from Pedroia and Red Sox manager Terry Francona. One of four frames Chin shot appears in full above, and we've made a three-frame sequence out of the play below. Video replays were difficult to interpret because none had a decisive angle on the play.

What do you think? The play was certainly meaningful because Pierre would have been the second out. Instead, the White Sox went on to score two runs.

www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/June11sports/608pedroiasequence.jpg">608pedroiasequence.jpg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre?

i watched it live, then watched several replays. it was close, but he got him. you could tell by the direction of the jersey when the glove hit it, but the umpire couldn't

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I MISSED THE GAME BUT IT LOOKS LIKE HE DID IN THAT SECOND PIC....joe c thought so too on the radio

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I said this on the game thread..... It was a poorly executed run down.  Based on the pictures it looks like he got him and the Ump gets paid to make the right calls BUT the Red Sox put themselves in a position to get hosed on that call by executing a little league caliber pickle. 

Definitely a turning point.  That whole inning with Pedroia really.  First couldn't come up with the tough play in right, then couldn't turn the DP, then the rundown..... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

MLB doesn't even seem to care if calls that can easily be fixed are being made incorrectly and its fustrating to me. For all the money that MLB makes they can't afford a fifth ump to be located somewhere watching a video feed of the game? It shouldn't take any longer for him to mic down the correct call than a team screaming at an umpire for getting it wrong.

I'm not placing the blame on the shoulders of the umps, they're only human, MLB needs to start caring about getting the calls right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I don't think video would overturn that call, at least by NFL standards,  because the "video evidence was inconclusive".  Those stills make it look pretty clear, but even slowed down it was not clear, both Remy and Orsillo said they didn't think any of the angles were definitive. 

After that strange inning it was still a 3-3 game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think video would overturn that call, at least by NFL standards,  because the "video evidence was inconclusive".  Those stills make it look pretty clear, but even slowed down it was not clear, both Remy and Orsillo said they didn't think any of the angles were definitive.  After that strange inning it was still a 3-3 game.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    That picture was done simply by zooming in. Which is something any number of computer savvy college freshman can do. I don't understand why these huge multi-billion dollar organizations cannot find people to help make calls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I stand corrected, that picture was taken by a photographer, still I feel like it could've been conclusive by the video shown by NESN.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I can honestly say that after watching the NESN replays I thought Pedrioa missed him.  Those pictures make it pretty clear he got him.    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

From the Boston Herald:
    Pedroia:"Go Ask The Umpire"
    A frustrated Dustin Pedroia maintained after Wednesday's 7-4 loss to the White Sox that he did indeed tag Juan Pierre on the back in a controversial fifth-inning rundown that opened the door for the visitors to tie the game. 

Trailing 3-1, and with runners at first and third and one out, Pierre took off for second. Pierre got hung up between first and second and Pedroia appeared to tag Pierre's back, with TV replays showing his jersey rippling. But second base umpire Marty Foster ruled Pierre avoided the tag on a steal of second base. Instead of two outs, Alexei Ramirez drove home one run with a ground out and Carlos Quentin doubled to tie the game, 3-3. 

"Go ask the umpire, man," Pedroia said. "I'm not going to talk for him. Those guys have got to be held responsible for that because I tagged Juan right in the back. So, if he doesn't want to ask for help, that's unfortunate because they got two runs out of it and it was a big part of the game." 

Pedroia said he and manager Terry Francona asked Foster to ask first base umpire Mike Estabrook for help but Foster declined. 

"I asked him to ask everybody," Pedroia said. "He said, 'That's enough or I'm going to throw you out of the game.' And I said, 'OK.' And then Tito talked to him. I don't know, man."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

another example of it being more about the umpires than the game.....or the outcome. and it wasn't even joe west

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It sure looks like he did, but the Little League defense put them in this position. Pedroia couldn't make any plays that inning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Instead of all the b__t___g and moaning, lets figure out
    what Youk, Crawford, Ellsbury, and the rest of the stiffs
    were doing for the game. There's too much dependence
    on A Gon and Papi. Youk is doing very little except begging
    for walks, and Ellsbury gotta get on base more in these
    tough series against the better teams. You can't steal
    second if you can't get to first. Are you listening Crawford ??
    Guys and gals....don't expect Lowrie, Drew, Sutton, Reddick,
    Cameron or Salty to win it for us.. That's not in the cards.
    This team has some serious balance issues and too many
    stiffs on the roster. See above and add Scutaro and Darnell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

I umpired for twenty years.  You (the umpire), especially when screened by a player as with the runner here, ask your fellow umps if they saw something different.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

They missed the call. But when you are going good you play through it and it isnt even a question. When your not playing good it becomes the issue when the reality is you weren't playing good.

I live amongst of Raider fans and they still whine about the tuck rule. I just chirp back that the Raiders still had ample opprotuinities to keep Brady out of field goal range and couldn't twice in order to lose the game.

Officals will make mistakes and if you can't play through them you can't win the game.

Just my take

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fivekatz nails it again.  Bad call, so what?  Papelbon still had a 2-run dinger in him. 

I'll tell you what torques me even though I think I'm wrong.  My strong impression is that home plate umps are squeezing our pitchers more than the other teams'. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]I stand corrected, that picture was taken by a photographer, still I feel like it could've been conclusive by the video shown by NESN.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

you can do the same with video..At least I know you can on Adobe Premiere or Final Cut(Mac)..Just freeze and zoom..Just like a photo..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Any bad call in a high profile play like that is detrimental to any team.   I don't care if PD did a cartwheel first and then mooned the crowd, he tagged him, period.  And if it was so close, why would the ump let the runner, who by the way got caught off base like a moron, get the benefit of the doubt?   Because the jerk had an agenda.  By not even asking for help he proved that.  

It happens, the Sox will move on.  But it SHOULDN'T happen. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Pedroia tagged him and the Ump missed it.Those things happen in baseball,sometimes they go for the Sox and other times against.The umpires aren't perfect.
      The part that bugs me,is that the Umpire refused to ask his fellow Umps for their call on it.That's just being arrogant.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

maxbialystock  '' My strong impression is that home plate umps are squeezing our pitchers more than the other teams'. ''

soxmeister  '' Because the jerk had an agenda  ''

so what's the motive fellows

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]They missed the call. But when you are going good you play through it and it isnt even a question. When your not playing good it becomes the issue when the reality is you weren't playing good. I live amongst of Raider fans and they still whine about the tuck rule. I just chirp back that the Raiders still had ample opprotuinities to keep Brady out of field goal range and couldn't twice in order to lose the game. Officals will make mistakes and if you can't play through them you can't win the game. Just my take
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

In the cosmic scheme of things, the tuck rule call was just a delayed 25 year makeup call for the roughing the passer call on Stabler.

The victory came 25 years after another official's call went against the Patriots in a playoff game at Oakland.

The Raiders won that one 24-21 on Dec. 18, 1976, after referee Ben Dreith called a roughing-the-passer penalty against Pats nose tackle Ray Hamilton as Ken Stabler's pass on third-and-18 fell incomplete. The Patriots argued the call, but five plays later Stabler ran 1 yard for the winning touchdown on the final drive.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

http://youtu.be/2OvOEFFLpYU

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]maxbialystock   '' My strong impression is that home plate umps are squeezing our pitchers more than the other teams'. '' soxmeister   '' Because the jerk had an agenda  '' so what's the motive fellows                                   
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

pinstripezac is a Yankee homer...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre? : In the cosmic scheme of things, the tuck rule call was just a delayed 25 year makeup call for the roughing the passer call on Stabler. The victory came 25 years after another official's call went against the Patriots in a playoff game at Oakland. The Raiders won that one 24-21 on Dec. 18, 1976, after referee Ben Dreith called a roughing-the-passer penalty against Pats nose tackle Ray Hamilton as Ken Stabler's pass on third-and-18 fell incomplete. The Patriots argued the call, but five plays later Stabler ran 1 yard for the winning touchdown on the final drive. Pepperidge Farm remembers. http://youtu.be/2OvOEFFLpYU
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]
    THAT WAS ALWAYS MY FIRST THOUGHT.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Not Sure, But I loved what Hawk Harrelson said on Comcast as Korneko's Ball left the Yard against Papelbon, "Thats how you get to build a 16,000 Square foot house in Scotsdale Arizona".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Dustin Pedroia tag out Juan Pierre? : pinstripezac is a Yankee homer...
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

even if it was true

what does that have to  do with my question

will you be starting any new threads today

do the yankees seem any younger to you this week