Did Mariano get the save last night?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Did Mariano get the save last night?

Really...did he? I looked in the box score this morning and it wasn't there. Really, did he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Did Mariano get the save last night?

In Response to Did Mariano get the save last night?:
    Really...did he? I looked in the box score this morning and it wasn't there. Really, did he?
    Posted by georom4

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! thanks geo I needed a good laugh!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

LOL

I think Justin Chamberlain got it!!!!!!!

Wait is he a starter now?

Maybe it was Hughes.  Is he a reliever?  Yet again?  I lost track. 

Or was it Ian Kennedey? 

I still chuckle when this moron at work told me in 2008 that, and I quote "Joba Chamberlain is 10X the pitcher that Jon Lester is".......pretty much epitomizes how yankee fans over rate their farm system.

Let's see - Lester, Buck and Bard vs Phil and Justin while Ian, the best of the 3, was chased out of town.......I bet yankee fans would STILL chose Phil and Justin.........fine by me!

Own the yankee's best starter and best reliever and well, you're agonna own the entire organization.  I wish we could face CC and Mo every game!!!!!!!!!

I wonder who the all time leader is for the Sox to hand blown saves to?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

look, i love to kick the nemesis when they are down, but Rivera has been pretty terrific his entire career. For the few times the Sox have burned him on the grand stage (Mueller's single, and last night for instance), there have been unfortunately about 100 other times where I've seen the guy shaking hands at Fenway or Yankee Stadium after a Sox loss. And if the Sox face him again when it counts, last series at NY during the divisional race, or the playoffs, I will not be surprised if he is again shaking hands after a Sox game, and that's not good. I used to hate him, now I just respect him. I can't believe he's still effective after all of these years. Hell, Bernie Williams broke down years before Mariano did, and so did Posada. Jeter's skill have diminished too. Mariano? Geez, he still gets his 30 to 40 saves in his sleep. I don't rip this guy anymore. If the Sox get to him, be glad. Doesn't happen often.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Did Mariano get the save last night?:
    look, i love to kick the nemesis when they are down, but Rivera has been pretty terrific his entire career. For the few times the Sox have burned him on the grand stage (Mueller's single, and last night for instance), there have been unfortunately about 100 other times where I've seen the guy shaking hands at Fenway or Yankee Stadium after a Sox loss. And if the Sox face him again when it counts, last series at NY during the divisional race, or the playoffs, I will not be surprised if he is again shaking hands after a Sox game, and that's not good. I used to hate him, now I just respect him. I can't believe he's still effective after all of these years. Hell, Bernie Williams broke down years before Mariano did, and so did Posada. Jeter's skill have diminished too. Mariano? Geez, he still gets his 30 to 40 saves in his sleep. I don't rip this guy anymore. If the Sox get to him, be glad. Doesn't happen often.
    Posted by dannycater

Great post.  Rivera is definitely one of the best ever at his position and has always been one of my favorite MLB players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The imbecile above is asking for bad karma.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great thing about last night, other than the win, was beating the best closer ever.  The guy is amazing.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Posted by nhsteven
    Steven, it's a direct result of LoveSox's bait tactics...but i'm with ya on the karma thing...but until then, gotta take the hit, Mo didn't get it done..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

And a class act, too.  On Jacoby's sac bunt, Rivera later told reporters that it was his fault, not the rookie third baseman's, that they couldn't get Scutaro at third. 

One of the all-time greats.  But to be fair, this thread was a response to a troll who posts the same thread when the Sox lose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Posted by nhsteven

It's just a message board, Gandhi.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Did Mariano get the save last night? : Steven, it's a direct result of LoveSox's bait tactics...but i'm with ya on the karma thing...but until then, gotta take the hit, Mo didn't get it done..
    Posted by jete02fan

Agreed; they should have banned him by now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think one should look at Rollie Fingers, Dennis Eckersley, and Dan Quisenbury - guys who played when you needed 2 innings to earn the save, before annointing Rivera the King; albeit he is the King of the "Silver Platter" Save, I'll give him that........either way, Rivera and the entire "Empire" know he is far from automatic when he goes up against the Sox. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Posted by dannycater

Matt Pepin - Globe

The truth? Since Rivera became the Yankees closer in 1997, he is now 58 of 74 in all regular- and postseason save opportunities against the Red Sox, a save percentage of just .784. Against everyone else, the number is .904. The Red Sox have beaten Rivera 10 times in Boston and six times in New York, though, based on save percentage, Rivera's frustrations against them have been quite consistent: .778 at Fenway, .793 in the Bronx, .750 in the playoffs and .788 in the regular season.

From Bill Mueller (1.227 career OPS against Rivera) to Marco Scutaro (.896), they've had his number for a good chunk of the last eight years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Eck actually was the first guy to be the 1-inning save guy. Larussa started that ritual. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Did Mariano get the save last night? : Matt Pepin - Globe The truth? Since Rivera became the Yankees closer in 1997, he is now 58 of 74 in all regular- and postseason save opportunities against the Red Sox, a save percentage of just .784. Against everyone else, the number is .904. The Red Sox have beaten Rivera 10 times in Boston and six times in New York, though, based on save percentage, Rivera's frustrations against them have been quite consistent: .778 at Fenway, .793 in the Bronx, .750 in the playoffs and .788 in the regular season. From Bill Mueller (1.227 career OPS against Rivera) to Marco Scutaro (.896), they've had his number for a good chunk of the last eight years.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

Wow, he has 58 saves v. the Sox in his career. It sure as hell seemed like a lot more. He must be a terrible closer. Gee, Pawsox Phil, you called me out on my 100 number (I did so much research to come up with that number). How many times did Rivera throw effectively in a tie or no save situation v. the Sox?? I will try to look it up, but I bet it's a lot. Often he would throw 2 great innings to shut the Sox down long enough for the Yanks to beat the Sox in extra innings, but that doesn't count in Pepin's statistic because he is clearly showing saves and save opportunities. This is what is so great about statistics because no one takes into account the times a reliever gets no credit for 2 shutout innings here or there in a tie game. Rivera is probably the best closer I've ever seen in a tie game btw. Far better than our guy--Josh--in a tie game. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's not all about saves for a closer but we are trained to see it that way. I remember a stretch for Papelbon where he had maybe 1 or 2 saves over a month period. The reason? The Sox were killing teams so by the time the 9th rolled around, there was no more save opp. When Gagne and FROD had all those saves those seasons, the teams they were playing for just happened to be in a plethora of close games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe+:). Show The-Babe+:)'s posts

LOL I think Justin Chamberlain got it!!!!!!! Wait is he a starter now? Maybe it was Hughes.  Is he a reliever?  Yet again?  I lost track.  Or was it Ian Kennedey?  I still chuckle when this moron at work told me in 2008 that, and I quote "Joba Chamberlain is 10X the pitcher that Jon Lester is".......pretty much epitomizes how yankee fans over rate their farm system. Let's see - Lester, Buck and Bard vs Phil and Justin while Ian, the best of the 3, was chased out of town.......I bet yankee fans would STILL chose Phil and Justin.........fine by me! Own the yankee's best starter and best reliever and well, you're agonna own the entire organization.  I wish we could face CC and Mo every game!!!!!!!!! I wonder who the all time leader is for the Sox to hand blown saves to?

Posted by andrewmitch

I wonder who has handed papelblown more blown saves than any other team.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Did Mariano get the save last night? : I wonder who has handed papelblown more blown saves than any other team.....
    Posted by The-Babe+:)

It's a refreshing change of pace to see you're using different characters on the keyboard now. I was getting tired of the dots. Kudos to your imagination taking flight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Eck actually was the first guy to be the 1-inning save guy. Larussa started that ritual. 
    Posted by dannycater

Good Point in that regards.  But Eck was still better. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

It's always rewarding to beat the best.  Mariano is a great pitcher, and boy does it feel great to beat him! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

andrew, I must agree with you, because I brazenly put him No. 5 on my All-Time Greatest Pitchers List...Eckersley

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No doubt, Eck is the closer on my all time team and I have "The Quiz" setting him up........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Did Mariano get the save last night? : Good Point in that regards.  But Eck was still better. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Except Eck doesn't agree with you; how typical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In Response to Did Mariano get the save last night?:
    Posted by georom4

Where is Lovesox? The homer never seems to come around when the Sox win or the Yanks lose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rivera has more wins v. the Sox than any other team (12). He has a career 2.90 ERA, 1.20 whip v. Sox, higher than his career averages, but if he threw 105 regular season appearances v. Sox and 64 resulted in either a Rivera save/win, and then the countless other appearances in which he didn't get credit for a save or kept the game tied, I'd say he does a pretty damn good job overall v. Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts