Did Saltalamacchia just....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Did Saltalamacchia just....

In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just....:
    [QUOTE]You guys are borderline imbecilic. Yes, Shoppach was horrible and also gave up SBs. But I'm talking about the 8th inning when /Salty was catching. Go look at the box score you all should have looked at. Then read Peter Abraham's write-up, 8th inning, where he tells what happened. And, yes, it was spring training, but even in spring training real professionals should show at least minimal focus. Lavarnway has less experience, but much more seriousness of purpose and, dare I say it, smarts than Salty. And Lavarnway can hit, which Shoppach can't do. I think Bobby needs to dump one of the veteran catchers.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with admitting when I'm wrong, and I am wrong in this case.  I didn't think it would be possible for both of our catchers to make such monumental mistakes in the same game, so I stopped reading the write up at Shoppach's blunder.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Did Saltalamacchia just.... : No, Salty didn't allow that to happen, but Shoppach did.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Salty went into the game in the eighth. He allowed three steals in one inning to the same baserunner. Incredible!

I know. I was at Jet Blue today and watched it happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : Lavarnway may never be half the catcher Salty is. Lavarnway would DH when him and Federowiz were on the same roster. Lavarnway right now does not look like a career catcher.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

So you're basing this off of something that happened 3 years ago?  When Lava had all of what, 1 season of catching experience?  It's Sox policy to not do catching drills and catch in the game on the same day, which is why Lava has seen so much time at DH in the minors.  He's been working on defensive drills practically every other day.  You only need to watch him behind the plate to see that he's serviceable, certainly no worse than Salty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : Wrong. Salty went into the game in the eighth. He allowed three steals in one inning to the same baserunner. Incredible! I know. I was at Jet Blue today and watched it happen.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I'd be impressed if you were the first to point this out.  At least he didn't let one sail to the OF again, although that may have been preferable to not paying attention to the baserunner on 3rd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : I'm fine with admitting when I'm wrong, and I am wrong in this case.  I didn't think it would be possible for both of our catchers to make such monumental mistakes in the same game, so I stopped reading the write up at Shoppach's blunder.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Your post beat my last one by three minutes. Still, it was something to see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : Sorry. Your post beat my last one by three minutes. Still, it was something to see.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it was.  I'm sure you can understand how I read your post though, following mine.

Sounds like a crazy game, for all the wrong reasons.  Some day I'll have time to go to spring training.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : I'm sure it was.  I'm sure you can understand how I read your post though, following mine. Sounds like a crazy game, for all the wrong reasons.  Some day I'll have time to go to spring training.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Crazy game, but lots of fun. I live about 20 miles from Fenway South and was given tickets. I had to make time to go and I'm glad I did. Had a great day!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Did Saltalamacchia just....": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : So you're basing this off of something that happened 3 years ago?  When Lava had all of what, 1 season of catching experience?  It's Sox policy to not do catching drills and catch in the game on the same day, which is why Lava has seen so much time at DH in the minors.  He's been working on defensive drills practically every other day.  You only need to watch him behind the plate to see that he's serviceable, certainly no worse than Salty. Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE] He was DHing last year. He is ahead offensively but that is fine. He is not better than Salty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway isnt the answer at all...he's terrible behind the dish. 
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

Nope.  Saw him catch two games last weekend.  Looked good.  Excellent throws.  Good mechanics.  Caught a great start from Doubront (for what CERA is worth).  Tremendous athlete who has clearly worked hard to learn the position.  He ain't no Fisk, but I am sure he would hold his own if he gets the call.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Did Saltalamacchia just....": He was DHing last year. He is ahead offensively but that is fine. He is not better than Salty.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

Read my post that you quoted.  Catching drills prevent a catching prospect from playing the position in a game the same day.  What him behind the dish and then watch Salty.  Both can continue to improve, but Salty has already been at the position far longer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Several years ago there were people on this forum that wanted to trade Saltamachia for Clay Bucholtz. Thank God we did not do that. He is an overrated catcher with a hole in his swing that the Atlanta Braves sold high on. that is all he is ever going to be. n response to "Re: Did Saltalamacchia just....": [QUOTE]Salty is a butcher behind the plate with a weak bat. He needs to be optioned to AAA. Lavarnway has much better and solid CS%, but also provides a much needed high potential RH slugging bat. Lavarnway is also mentally sharp. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did Saltalamacchia just.... : Nope.  Saw him catch two games last weekend.  Looked good.  Excellent throws.  Good mechanics.  Caught a great start from Doubront (for what CERA is worth).  Tremendous athlete who has clearly worked hard to learn the position.  He ain't no Fisk, but I am sure he would hold his own if he gets the call.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

No doubt spaceman, Lav can hold his own just fine.  A better arm, bat and the intelligence to become even better.  Put him in there, let the kid make a few mistakes and I would make a nice wager he would still have a better year than we have seen in the past few years from our catchers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Salty had a 31% CS percentage last year.  Maybe that's a better indication of how he controls the running game than a single inning in March against a minor-leaguer with nothing to lose.

Sections
Shortcuts