Did Sox just find a number 5 guy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Did Sox just find a number 5 guy?

Aceves?

Sorry Big John.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Did Sox just find a number 5 guy?

Aceves?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wastefield is our #4 guy. When Slackey returns, Aceves will need to return to the pen so Wastefield can keep working his magic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

as long as SLACKEY is still in the rotation, ACEVES will be #4.
    there's only room for one #5 on a baseball team and that belongs to SLACKEY.
    WAKE would be #5.5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wastefield is one of the best starters in the majors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

come on be easy on Wake and Lack...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Aceves is #4 and Wake is #5.  When Lackey returns, Wake becomes the 6th starter.  Wake can indeed be magical, but not over prolonged periods. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He may be benefitting from the hitters being unfamiliar with him.  But he is at least a #5 or this team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Did Sox just find a number 5 guy?:
    Aceves is #4 and Wake is #5.  When Lackey returns, Wake becomes the 6th starter.  Wake can indeed be magical, but not over prolonged periods. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

+1 too this.  Boy genius strikes gold w/ Aceves?  I'd like to see a couple more starts before I get too excited, but the fact that he was capable of a start like this is enough for me to know this was a smart move. 

Oh, and keeping Wake on the roster was also pretty smart too ... old man is putting up another 4.5 ERA year.  Not lighting it on fire but a good man to have in case of emergency.  Now if Doubront and/or Miller are looking good in AAA at the end of the year, I think Wake may be retiring, but for this year and at his $$$, I give it a thumbs up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wake can indeed be magical, but not over prolonged periods

Wild pitches and a + 5 ERA since the last half of 2009 is not "magical" over any length of time.

Aceves would have helped the Red Sox win more games earlier in the year, when Wakefield was roster squating. Would have like to have seen Aceves earlier in the year and farm guys for a few spot starts, over Wakefield.

I will celebrate if Wakefield retires at year end, or goes and pitches in Florida as he said he would consider if the Red Sox don't change his role.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

So far so good.. Let's see if he can reach the 7th next game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Aceves' value is as a long reliever but he's done a great job filling in.......I believe he'll get one more spot start and then back to the pen.......Wakefield can't pitch in relief so he stays in the rotation.....And it's wait and see w/ Lackey............and Dice K.....and Doubrant.......I still think they are going to need another arm........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I think you have to treat these Wake/Aceves starts as a sort of try-out until Lackey comes back.  So far Aceves is 2-2, lets see what Wake does tomorrow.  With Dice being out a while, if not indefinitely, have both Aceves and Wake will prove extremely valuable. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wakefield has had 2 starts close together. One was against the weakest offense in the AL, and the next one was a blowout classic Wakefield meltdown. He had about two weeks off before his last appearance in the last start. I say give him the ball every 5 days and watch him break down and get hammered. I truly wish Wakefield wasn't what he has been since the second half of 2009, a terrible 5 plus ERA, but he's old, fat and needs weeks of rest between starts. Hard to justify keeping that kind of profile on the active roster. In fact, in can't be justified.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

I do not understand the hate for Wake what the heck did he do to you? Prove you wrong? Maybe?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

No, Wakefield hasn't been used enough to "prove me wrong". That, per se, has proven me right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Don't worry Softy, 'ol Snake Eyes Daisuke will be back from his Japan sojourn any day now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What number is Dice now?
    Lackey is supposed to be number...
    No, wait, now Aceves is number...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiAZGlImMs&feature=related

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

and yeah what a nifty find Aceves has been :-)

Go Sox!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Wakefield has had 2 starts close together. One was against the weakest offense in the AL, and the next one was a blowout classic Wakefield meltdown. He had about two weeks off before his last appearance in the last start. I say give him the ball every 5 days and watch him break down and get hammered. I truly wish Wakefield wasn't what he has been since the second half of 2009, a terrible 5 plus ERA, but he's old, fat and needs weeks of rest between starts. Hard to justify keeping that kind of profile on the active roster. In fact, in can't be justified.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

If Aceves is demoted in favor of Wastefield, the U.S. Justice Department should call out the federal tolerance police. Aceves may not be a good ole boy, but he's 28 years old and has earned a rotation spot until such time as he becomes ineffective. Very sad to read the comments about Aceves being "a strange guy" and "a head case". These are ethnic slurs with no factual basis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Posted by SoxSoldRed

First, to call Wakefield fat, tells me you need a new television. Bartolo Colon is fat. So is C.C. Sabathia.  That being said, Wake is not that different from any other 5th starter. When his knukleball is working, he's difficult to hit, when it's flat, he's going to get roughed up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If Aceves is demoted in favor of Wastefield, the U.S. Justice Department should call out the federal tolerance police. Aceves may not be a good ole boy, but he's 28 years old and has earned a rotation spot until such time as he becomes ineffective. Very sad to read the comments about Aceves being "a strange guy" and "a head case". These are ethnic slurs with no factual basis.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

You are a head case. This is factual.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

View Image

Head and belly case, supra

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Geez. I thought that was you getting ready for a good golf match!

Sections
Shortcuts