Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeanmean. Show jeanmean's posts

Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game?

Were they too afraid a being swept by the Rays. Did they want to take a break and try to shift the momentum of the team. In any case, this early cancellation showed the organization is hobbling with their tail between their legs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

Re: Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game?

I honestly think they believe that at this moment, especially behind Lackey, they were not going to come close to winning tonight.

Smarter move is to push this game out, and maybe its played when a few players have started to hit, and a few more pitchers are up to speed.

Who knows, maybe when this game is made up Dice-K will be on another team somewhere. I am sure he won't mind so long as he gets cart blanche for the WBC because that seems to matter to him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Go away troll.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game?:
    Were they too afraid a being swept by the Rays. Did they want to take a break and try to shift the momentum of the team. In any case, this early cancellation showed the organization is hobbling with their tail between their legs.
    Posted by jeanmean

nah jeanie, they just pulled the Crash Davis on em.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mos_cutter. Show Mos_cutter's posts

I agree. They chickened out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Just checked the radar..... I expected it to look a lot worse.  Not very Red Sox like to call off a game this early, it'd better pour in Boston tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game?:
    In Response to Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game? : I'm going out on a limb here, but they called the game due to rain because it's raining???
    Posted by J-BAY

It isn't raining that bad though, and the radar looks decent (scattered showers).  They certainly could have held off until closer to game time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

JB I'm in CT. its raining steadily and is not expected to let up until after midnight. secondly, the conditions of the field may have played into the decision. do you want to chance the pitcher or an outfielder to injury this early on due to weather??? thirdly how many times have you heard fans complain they could have or should have called the game earlier before they got to the stadium and think they dont because they want to sell concessions? cant win
    lastly i dont think its how hard it's raining its if it will rain continually throughout the game. they usually never start a game if its expected to rain throughout

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Yes,the Red Sox chickened out of this game,just like the Yankees chickened out of last night's game with the Orioles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

JB I'm in CT. its raining steadily and is not expected to let up until after midnight. secondly, the conditions of the field may have played into the decision. do you want to chance the pitcher or an outfielder to injury this early on due to weather??? thirdly how many times have you heard fans complain they could have or should have called the game earlier before they got to the stadium and think they dont because they want to sell concessions? cant win lastly i dont think its how hard it's raining its if it will rain continually throughout the game. they usually never start a game if its expected to rain throughout
    Posted by J-BAY

I'm in CT too and yes it's raining here, but looking at the radar Boston shouldn't be any worse than the past couple of games when it rained later in the game.  I agree that the field conditions played a large part in the decision being made, but then why did they spend all that money on field drainage a couple years ago?

As for your point about fans always complaining about how late the Sox wait to call of games, I think that speaks to my point of how this is unusual for the Sox to call of a game so early.  Or perhaps I missed your point with that statement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

my understanding has always been, if the rain is suppose to continue throughout, with no window, they dont start. if it's not raining at the start of the game but its expected, if they feel they can get in the 5 innings to call it an official game, they start. it's the umpires call at game time.  both teams are consulted if a rain delay or rain out is more than probable, to make an early decision. being the rubber game, tampa may have been in favor of it which may account for why it was called earlier than later. i could be wrong but i beleive MLB has to approve it also, i dont think the organization can just call it. it has not let up here all day which leads me to believe thats why they called it. could they play in it? probably but this early on and having 16 more games between them, why not play it at another time under better conditions? yankees and the mets called their games last night and the conditions werent any worse

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll bet Jason Varitek, Clay Buchholz and a couple of teammates broke into the stadium overnight and turned the sprinklers on.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's Fenway Paaaaahk, doofus.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

doesnt major league baseball cancel the games, not the redsox...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I think there is some merit to what the OP said

and I think it was a good idea by / for the sox

take 2 days off and get back at it

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Freckleburger?" Don't know what it means, but it's original.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

doesnt major league baseball cancel the games, not the redsox...
    Posted by RSF4Life234

only when it's the last trip into town for the visiting team

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer5.8. Show fireballer5.8's posts

Questions like this attract me to this forum. Well-thought out thread. Do you really think they want to jeopardize the welfare of their players?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

my understanding has always been, if the rain is suppose to continue throughout, with no window, they dont start. if it's not raining at the start of the game but its expected, if they feel they can get in the 5 innings to call it an official game, they start. it's the umpires call at game time.  both teams are consulted if a rain delay or rain out is more than probable, to make an early decision. being the rubber game, tampa may have been in favor of it which may account for why it was called earlier than later. i could be wrong but i beleive MLB has to approve it also, i dont think the organization can just call it. it has not let up here all day which leads me to believe thats why they called it. could they play in it? probably but this early on and having 16 more games between them, why not play it at another time under better conditions? yankees and the mets called their games last night and the conditions werent any worse
    Posted by J-BAY

That all makes sense, but 1 question for you.  Are you in Northern CT or southern CT?  I'm in Fairfield county and while it looked uninviting out, the showers were really scattered today with it being dry most of the day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Fenway Parrrrrk is too old to drain the rain from the field and Lackey wasn't feeling lucky.
    Posted by greatestNYY

Except that the field drainage was updated just a couple years ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

The only good post was " Go away troll". Why do you people bother with such nonsense?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

The only good post was " Go away troll". Why do you people bother with such nonsense?
    Posted by sunslav

WEEI:

Hall of Fame baseball reporter and MLB Network analyst Peter Gammons made his weekly appearance on the Mut & Merloni show Wednesday to talk about the Red Sox' struggles.

Gammons speculated that the Red Sox will attempt to call off Wednesday's game early due to both the rain and the team's need for a break. "A couple of days of breathers wouldn't be a bad thing at this point," he said

does that make gammons a troll too

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Did Sox management chicken out of tonight's game? : That all makes sense, but 1 question for you.  Are you in Northern CT or southern CT?  I'm in Fairfield county and while it looked uninviting out, the showers were really scattered today with it being dry most of the day.
    Posted by JB-3

JB in live in new haven county but work in middlesex county. it rained all day and when i left work at 830, it was still raining, albeit lightly. now watching the boston news, still raining in boston got 1.5 inches. after what happened to josh hamilton yesterday, i'm glad it was. even with the 2-8 start, the team is healthy. the last thing they need is an injury. Lackey will be moved to pitch tuesday. lester will pitch sunday in place of dice k

Sections
Shortcuts