Did the Rays "Fade Away"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Did the Rays

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Rays and InDian's are both hot, Sox are not.  

I strenuously disagree with moonslav that Maddon start anyone on short rest early on.  It's still a 5 games series.  The Rays are 4-3 vs the Sox since the all star break.  So they will be a tough out, regardless of who starts game 1 or 2.  Our first two starters will likely be Lester and lackey. Home field advantage will help us, no question.

I did not say I thought Maddon would start Price on short rest, in fact, I said I thought we'd see Price once and Moore twice- both on normal rest.

I just pointed out that there is a way we might see  Price twice and Moore twice, if the Rays went with Price on short rest after possibly only going a few innings in the WC game (assuming the Rays are winning big and they can pull Price early).

Again, I pick the Sox to beat the Rays, but think they are our toughest team to face based largely on the 2 tough lefties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If your patient with Moore, he can just as easily be out by the 5th inning. Price is tough, but between the Rays and Tigers, its a toss up for me. Any one of those four mentioned can have "Ace" stuff any given night. We can go 0-2 just as easily with Detroit if they are on their game. I never choose who Id want to face. Every team to make it to the PO will be tough, and every team has solid pitching.

As far as the rays fading. They lucked out. They are lucky that the O's and NYY crumbled as well, which preserved their slight lead in the WC race. I predicted they would crash on their late Aug/early Sept. WC trip. That was the time for other teams to take advantage. Only the Sox did. The Rays have done better as of late and will be tough, but they certainly faded allowing us to get an 8 game lead after they were in 1st place themselves by % points.

Throw all the stat books out come playoff time. Teams will start stepping up, or stepping out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Rays have to throw Price in a one game playoff home or away. Maddon would be second guessed all Winter if he goes with Moore or Cobb taking for granted they are going to win regardless of who pitches.

Moore is very good and so is Cobb. Moore has been playing with fire lately--if you watched any of the Mon or Tues. Yankee game that he pitched.

Also take a look at that Yankees lineup now. Its the most pathetic thing Ive ever seen.

[/QUOTE]

I guess Buckner's error, Boone's homer off Wakefield and the Sept collapse of 2011 or even Bobby Valentine were not as pathetic.   Well, to each his own.   Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If your patient with Moore, he can just as easily be out by the 5th inning. Price is tough, but between the Rays and Tigers, its a toss up for me. Any one of those four mentioned can have "Ace" stuff any given night. We can go 0-2 just as easily with Detroit if they are on their game. I never choose who Id want to face. Every team to make it to the PO will be tough, and every team has solid pitching.

As far as the rays fading. They lucked out. They are lucky that the O's and NYY crumbled as well, which preserved their slight lead in the WC race. I predicted they would crash on their late Aug/early Sept. WC trip. That was the time for other teams to take advantage. Only the Sox did. The Rays have done better as of late and will be tough, but they certainly faded allowing us to get an 8 game lead after they were in 1st place themselves by % points.

Throw all the stat books out come playoff time. Teams will start stepping up, or stepping out.

The Rangers also hit the skids, allowing the Rays to stay in the WC pack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to soups' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I told you guys they had another run in them.

I still fear their two lefties in a series against us.

They've won 6 in a row and have more wins than Texas, Cleveland, and the Nats.

They are just 1-2 wins away from the Dodgers, Pirates, and Reds.

They lose Shields and Davis and don't miss a beat.

A month ago (less) they were leading this division by a half game in the loss column. 

But they didn't fade? The issue was putting space between the Sox and the Rays.  That happened and ended their shot at winning the division.

I get your point, but the Rays faded. 

[/QUOTE]

...but no fade away.

Many here felt they wouldn't even make the playoffs after that tough stretch.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  I didn't see them making the WC.  No doubt they've been impressive, esp their pitching. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

The Yankees continue their choking against the Rays, as they did 2 years ago keeping us out of the playoffs.  Of course, our failure to win one vs the Orioles was the major factor.

We still need beat out Oakland for HFA so next 3 games are important. Orioles always play us tough at Fenway or Camden & delighted in knocking us out 2 years ago, it was their World Series, and I'm sure they'd like to disrupt our goals this weekend too. Fortunately, Buehrle pitched last night as he is almost as tough on us as Price & Moore of Tampa.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Almost all teams go through tough times.

The Rays did NOT "luck out". They played one of the toughest schedules in MLB- tougher than the Rangers, Indians, A's, and the NL teams, and yet despite this fact, they have won 90 games with 3 more to play.

They have more wins than the Rangers and Indians, and they are tied or 1 win behind the Dodgers, Pirates and Reds. I am 100% sure that if they played their schedules, they'd be 5 up on all these guys.

The Rays also have just 3 less wins than the Tigers, 4 less than the A's, Braves, and Cards. It wouldn't surprise me, if they had more wins than any of those teams either, had they played their schedule and those teams played the Rays' schedule.

It's also not luck that they have 4 starters, yes 4 starters with an ERA under 3.40 and 22 or more starts. With Price at age 27 and the 3 man tandem of starters behind him all at ages 24-25 (Moore, Cobb and Archer), this team is no fluke.

Who would have thought they might win 93 games this year with Hellickson having a 5.16 ERA and Zobrist with a sub .750 OPS?

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

The Rangers also hit the skids, allowing the Rays to stay in the WC pack.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the way it seemed with everyone except the Sox when they really seperated from the crowd. Tampa and Cleveland are hot right now though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Rays did NOT "luck out". They played one of the toughest schedules in MLB- tougher than the Rangers, Indians, A's, and the NL teams, and yet despite this fact, they have won 90 games with 3 more to play.

They have more wins than the Rangers and Indians, and they are tied or 1 win behind the Dodgers, Pirates and Reds. I am 100% sure that if they played their schedules, they'd be 5 up on all these guys.

The Rays also have just 3 less wins than the Tigers, 4 less than the A's, Braves, and Cards. It wouldn't surprise me, if they had more wins than any of those teams either, had they played their schedule and those teams played the Rays' schedule.

It's also not luck that they have 4 starters, yes 4 starters with an ERA under 3.40 and 22 or more starts. With Price at age 27 and the 3 man tandem of starters behind him all at ages 24-25 (Moore, Cobb and Archer), this team is no fluke.

Who would have thought they might win 93 games this year with Hellickson having a 5.16 ERA and Zobrist with a sub .750 OPS?

Sox4ever

Ok, so replaced lucked out with helped out. its not to take anything away from them. Im not as afraid of them as you are though. Our Pitching can match up with theirs and our offense is better. Every series is going to be tough regardless of who it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Since All-Star break, they are 25th in MLB in hitting, but 4th with 2 outs and RISP. Not how many, but when you hit is so big.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Ok, so replaced lucked out with helped out. its not to take anything away from them. Im not as afraid of them as you are though. Our Pitching can match up with theirs and our offense is better. Every series is going to be tough regardless of who it is.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Every playoff team presents challenges.

I don't see any reason to worry about Tampa, any more than Detroit, or the A's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yup.

Every playoff team presents challenges.

I don't see any reason to worry about Tampa, any more than Detroit, or the A's

I agree that nobody will be easy, but Dteroit and Oakland do not have 2 lefty aces. IMO, that is what makes TB a bit more problematic.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav, you are right about the lefties, but in fact the Rays have four good starters any way you look at it.  I think one of the two lefties, probably Price, will start the wild card game on Wednesday, which means the Sox won't see him until Monday, game 3.  I completely disagree with the notion Maddon will start the two lefties in four of the five games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Sox4ever

The greatest irony in all of these hypothetical schedule scenarios is that the Rays would likely have a few more wins if they didn't have to play the Red Sox so often.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

moonslav, you are right about the lefties, but in fact the Rays have four good starters any way you look at it.  I think one of the two lefties, probably Price, will start the wild card game on Wednesday, which means the Sox won't see him until Monday, game 3.  I completely disagree with the notion Maddon will start the two lefties in four of the five games. 

OK, I'm only going to say it one more time: my position is that we will see Moore 2 times and Price once. I said the chances were small that Maddon would pitch Price on short rest in order to pitch him twice vs the Sox. I don't see what you are "disagreeing" on, if we have the same position. I did mention that if Price was able to only pitch 3-5 innings in the wild card game due to a blow out or something, then there was a chance we might see lefties in 4 games. That's all I said, and I've had to repeat my position too many times.

Yes, the Rays have 4 good starters, but to me what makes them more challenging than the Tigers or A's are the two lefties: Moore and Price. No series rates to be easy. I'm slightly more concerned about the Rays' pitching rotation due to the tough lefties. I still think we can and will beat the Rays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Rays losing early, Indians winning early.  Will the scores hold up?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The greatest irony in all of these hypothetical schedule scenarios is that the Rays would likely have a few more wins if they didn't have to play the Red Sox so often.  

Yes, we basically had the same schedule as the Rays, except they had to face the better team: us, while we got to face them. There were a couple other differences, but the Rays had one of the toughest schedules in MLB. 

Other than the Sox, here are what the other teams that will end up with about the same or better record than the Rays got to face instead of Boston (.604), Baltimore (.522), NYY (.516) and TOR (.453) - keep in mind that the other AL East team records might have been much better had they not had to play each other so many times.

All AL East teams had a .500 or better record vs the 5 AL Central, and all but the Yanks had winning records vs the AL West (the Yanks were 14-16). All AL East teams had a winning record vs the NL, except NYY (9-11).

I'm not going to give a complete breakdown of the schedules, but here are a few insights:

The A's were 15-4 vs the Astros and every AL West team had a worse record than the same place team in the AL East.

The Tigers played 18 games vs MN and 19 vs CWS (the 2nd and 3rd worse records in the AL)

The Dodgers got to play the 4 teams in their own division 43 times so far this year. The best record of the 4? 80-79 AZ.

The Braves have 3 teams in their division under a .460 win%.

Only the Sox and Cards have 4 or more wins than the Rays and a comparable schedule. I'm not saying the Rays are the 2nd or 3rd best team in MLB, but if you factored in strength of schedule, I could see a computer placing them no lower than 3rd.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Rays down to the Jays 6 to 2 in the 8th.  Cleveland up 7 to 1 over the Twins.  Rangers leading the Angels 3 to 1 in the 4th.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

RAYS LOSE!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

97-63  Sox  (6-4 last 10)

95-65  A's   (7-3)

93-67  Tigers  (6-4)

90-70  Rays  (8-2)       -

90-70  Indians  (9-1)   -____

89-71  Rangers  (7-3)  1 GB

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

97-63  Sox  (6-4 last 10)

95-65  A's   (7-3)

93-67  Tigers  (6-4)

90-70  Rays  (8-2)       -

90-70  Indians  (9-1)   -____

89-71  Rangers  (7-3)  1 GB

Sox4ever

Today's games will be huge for all three of the wildcard entries....the Sox simply have to win one more game or the a's lose one for the best record...

Interesting note I heard on MLB last night that if the Rays and Indians tie the rays get home field due to having won the season series...however if it's a three team tie then the Rays go to Cleveland and the loser of that game then plays the rangers. With the winner of that game then playing winner of the Rays v Cleveland in the wildcard game...thus there's a strong probability that all three would have to play two games...So today I'm rooting hard for the Rangers, Blue jays & Twins...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Choke Rays Choke!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its 7-1 Jays in the bottom of the 7th. The Rays are going DOWN. I hope the Indians also lose so that all three teams will be tied going into the last day of the season, and hopefully they all lose tomorrow too. That will place a very large onus on their pitching staffs, weakening them before one of them plays us.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Choke Rays Choke!

It's "chock" around these parts, Halifax. Speak bdcinglish and spell it right!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

RAYS LOSE!

Again! getting interesting....rangers win, Rays lose, Cleveland leading, Oakland behind 2 to no thing...

Sections
Shortcuts