Did the Red Sox pack on the pounds? You be the judge!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Re: Did the Red Sox pack on the pounds? You be the judge!

yup, like mister 38%, the old C #8, but he packed it on with cake and ice cream, not wade boog style fried chicken wings and coors lite

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

For the Boston fat man chicken eatin rotation, I'm going to play this song by the Indigo girls during every red sox ball game in 2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ioD8Gf8as

• You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Everybody looks visibly heavier except Buchholz.  It's a little unclear on Buch

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's that puffy-faced beer bloat that shows up then transfers to the gut.     In the case of Wakefield, he gets the booze sweats in the 1st inning after a few pitches.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'm not sure any of them are heavier. The pictures on the right are closer-up than the ones on the left, and taken at an angle. It's an unfair comparison.

Going off my recollection, John Lackey showed up to spring training in excellent shape, having visibly shed quite a few poounds. By the end of the year, he looked bigger than he was in 2010. He definitely added weight.

Josh Beckett looked fat in some of his spring training pictures. I'm not convinced there was much difference between the Beckett of March and the Beckett of September.

Jon Lester has always looked the same to me. Ditto Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek.

Clay Buchholz is skinny.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

lester was noticeably heavier. becket was fat last year, better this eyar but nowhere near where he was when he was really good.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

These guys make a combined close to 200 million and their go to meal is fast food fried chicken?  Guess it is true what they say, you can't buy good taste. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Red Sox pack on the pounds? You be the judge!:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure any of them are heavier. The pictures on the right are closer-up than the ones on the left, and taken at an angle. It's an unfair comparison. Going off my recollection, John Lackey showed up to spring training in excellent shape, having visibly shed quite a few poounds. By the end of the year, he looked bigger than he was in 2010. He definitely added weight. Josh Beckett looked fat in some of his spring training pictures. I'm not convinced there was much difference between the Beckett of March and the Beckett of September. Jon Lester has always looked the same to me. Ditto Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek. Clay Buchholz is skinny.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

dont ever pick people out of a lineup - you are blind

all the pitchers gained serious weight during the year - including clay who probably gained the most weight proportionally

the only one im not sure of is Tek - he was a meathead before - he is a meathead now...he looks about the same short squat catcher that he has always been...maybe a few pounds bigger but not beer/fried chicken bigger...like our entire rotation

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

too bad lackey corrupted the pitching staff. Great move on Theos part bringing in the hack.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]too bad lackey corrupted the pitching staff. Great move on Theos part bringing in the hack.
    Posted by rpn123321[/QUOTE]

Gee, this is the first negative comment concerning Lackey that I've heard on this forum. This is a very enlightening post. Thank you.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Nice to see these FA old faces soon to be gone for good.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Nice to see these FA old faces soon to be gone for good.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Who's next? "Jimmy less Rodgers"?

Anyone predict that Luchino and Henry would refuse Epstein's request for an extension? I didn't think so.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I am not sure about packing on the pounds but I do know their combined production sure suked in September.  Hard to believe this is the same staff that this board swore was as good as the Phillie's staff this spring.   I honestly believe that the Sox priority should be to replace the training and medical staff before next year.  Two years in a row is not a coincidence...it is a red flag.

Players who have the right team focus do not need babysitters. Rid the country club problem players and a more compelling team will emerge. A great start to 2012, refusing to extend Epstein's contract which forced him to seek employement elsewhere.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Looks to me like they gained weight.  Can't tell with Tek and Buccholz though.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Everybody looks visibly heavier except Buchholz.  It's a little unclear on Buch
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

Not really sure that is fair to even mention Buchholz in the conversation.  He wouldn't have been able to contribute anything for the Red Sox in the final month of September since he was just returning from being injured. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

More before-and-after photo comparisons:

http://deadspin.com/5849607/did-these-boston-people-and-inanimate-objects-pack-on-the-pounds-too-judge-for-yourself/gallery/1?tag=Boston-Red-Sox-collapse

• Sections
    Shortcuts