Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?

Before you all start killing me, please read the whole post.

Obviously, Theo Epstein and the Red Sox had a huge offseason. However, I still wonder if Theo made the right moves.
     I will not criticize Theo for his bullpen moves, as the bullpen is unpredictable. However, I will criticize him on the four main moves he made. He:

1: Let Victor Martinez go,
                   2: Let Adrian Beltre go,
                   3: Signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year, 142 million dollar deal to snag him from LAA, and
                   4: Traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez.

I will decide whether the move was good or not based only on before this season, so I don't have an advantage over Theo. Also, if the move was not good, I will decide what he should have done instead, again, not based on hindsight.

1: Theo let Victor Martinez sign with the Detroit Tigers for 4 years and 50 million dollars.
     Theo's first move of the offseason was also his worst. If Theo had signed Martinez to a 4 year deal, he would have had him at ages 32, 33, 34, and 35. Those seasons are the start of most players' decline, but hitters as good as Martinez would still be productive at age 35. As for Martinez not being a good defender, if Posada can catch at age 38, why can't Martinez catch at age 35? Also, even with the season Papi is having, it is unlikely that Boston signs him to a 3 year deal at seasons' end, so at some point, Boston could just convert Martinez into the DH. Yes, you lose the 19th overall draft pick by keeping Martinez, but another move I would change makes up for it. Also, Martinez kills lefties.
     Did Theo make the right choice? No.
    What should he have done? Sign V-Mart to a 4 year, 60 million deal.

2: Theo traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez, and signed him to a 7 year, 154 million deal after the season started to lock him up through 2018, his age 36 season.
     They say "First is the worst, second is the best, and third is the one with the treasure chest!" So far for Theo, first is the worst and second is the best, as getting AGon was the best move of the offseason for Boston. It was a no-brainer, because anyone would take a 29 year old slugging 1st baseman who has a great glove over a 32 year old 3rd baseman who bats .270 with 25 home runs and 80 RBI with a great glove. His career year so far makes it sweeter, but it was a great move anyways.
     Did Theo make the right choice? Yes.
                  3: Theo signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year deal for 142 million, snagging him from LAA and making him the highest paid outfielder ever in the process.
     This was simply a bad move. Many people were hoping that the Red Sox would sign Jason Werth, but he quickly signed with Washington for 10 times his werth (pun intended). This set the market for Crawford, so signing him was a bad idea. Once Werth signed, the Red Sox should have gone the route of trade. Also, they would get their draft pick back from Tampa Bay, so the Red Sox would be able to re-sign V-Mart wiwthout any huge consecuences compared to the draft we just had.
     Did Theo make the right choice? No way, Jose.
    What should he have done? This is a little complicated.

He should have traded for Justin Upton. Still only 23, Upton has all the tools his brother has without the Manny-esque ego. He can hit for average, hit for power, run, has a cannon for an arm, and isn't quite as erratic as his brother in the field. If they did get Upton, he would convert to left field, as Drew has mastered Dewey's corner. They would trade Josh Reddick, (Kalish can take over RF when Drew leaves) Yamicco Navarro (Iggy can take over short when Scutaro leaves) Salty (V-Mart would occupy catcher for a few years) Larvenway (Ditto with Salty) and maybe throw in a player to be named later. All of the guys I named have potential, so the trade isn't unrealistic, especially with the way Towers was marketing him. Upton becomes a superstar, and a of the players I name become very good players. Not a bad trade for Arizona, but a great one for Boston.
                 4: Theo let Adrian Beltre sign with Texas for 6 years and 96 million dollars.
     This was a no brainer. The Red Sox had just acquired a star first baseman, and moved their former first baseman to third. They already have a good DH. They get 2 draft picks. Who doesn't let Beltre go?
     Did Theo make the right choice? Of course!

Theo's overall grade

2 right
    2 wrong
    50%

The numbers say Theo failed, but he didn't. I don't have a view of all the things Theo uses to build a roster, as I can only see the numbers. However, from a fan's point of view, he could have done a much better job. Despite this, our team is great.
                                                 I took over a hour to write this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?

I complete disagree with you. Victor was never the answer behind the plate, his defensive skills are poor, and will only decline with age. In 56 games played with Detriot (primarily as a DH), Victor has hit 6 home runs, and is batting .325, he has 39 RBIs and an OPS of .880. Not bad, but not so far above Salty's .744 OPS  and 5 homers to give the guy a 4 year deal for much much more money. The money not spent on Victor made Crawford and Gonzo options for us. By the end of that deal, Martinez would be a strict DH for the team, and not worth the payroll he'd be recieving as 4 years from now, I still might want Big Papi in my DH over him. And for 15 million dollars a year (your proposed deal) I would most certainly be able to sign David Ortiz.

Also this Justin Upton trade was hyperbole started by ESPN. He's only 23, he's got great tools. Look at the trade offer you put together, that would be a HORRIBLE trade for Arizona. You want Upton from Arizona this offseason? You give them Casey Kelly, Rizzo, AND THEN SOME. Arizona will have control over Justin Upton for years, perhaps if Upton was 28 and going into free agency soon they would even begin to look at that offer. Carl Crawford is a great player, probably will end up slightly overpaid because of the market that was formed around him (blame the Nationals), but anyone who says Carl Crawford wasn't a good player for the Sox to get, will look foolish by the end of his 7 year deal. You will be able to argue whether or not he was overpaid, but not whether or not he performed well for us.

If you think that Epstein made a mistake this winter by not getting Justin Upton, then you need a serious re-evalution of reality. We never had a chance of getting that kid. Never.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YOUR GOSH DARN RIGHT HE DID !!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

1: Let Victor Martinez go  (wrong decision)

2: Let Adrian Beltre go (correct decision)

3: Signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year, 142 million dollar deal to snag him from LAA, and (Completely Insane value deicsion)

4: Traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez. (Obvous and correct decision)

Because Beltre and AGon are mutually dependent, InEpstein got 2 wrong and 1 right. That's pretty good for the man given an A-Bomb to kill an ant hill.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?:
    [QUOTE] Before you all start killing me, please read the whole post.    Obviously, Theo Epstein and the Red Sox had a huge offseason. However, I still wonder if Theo made the right moves.  I will not criticize Theo for his bullpen moves, as the bullpen is unpredictable. However, I will criticize him on the four main moves he made. He:                1: Let Victor Martinez go,                2: Let Adrian Beltre go,                3: Signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year, 142 million dollar deal to snag him from LAA, and                4: Traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez.  I will decide whether the move was good or not based only on before this season, so I don't have an advantage over Theo. Also, if the move was not good, I will decide what he should have done instead, again, not based on hindsight.                1: Theo let Victor Martinez sign with the Detroit Tigers for 4 years and 50 million dollars.  Theo's first move of the offseason was also his worst. If Theo had signed Martinez to a 4 year deal, he would have had him at ages 32, 33, 34, and 35. Those seasons are the start of most players' decline, but hitters as good as Martinez would still be productive at age 35. As for Martinez not being a good defender, if Posada can catch at age 38, why can't Martinez catch at age 35? Also, even with the season Papi is having, it is unlikely that Boston signs him to a 3 year deal at seasons' end, so at some point, Boston could just convert Martinez into the DH. Yes, you lose the 19th overall draft pick by keeping Martinez, but another move I would change makes up for it. Also, Martinez kills lefties.  Did Theo make the right choice? No. What should he have done? Sign V-Mart to a 4 year, 60 million deal.               2: Theo traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez, and signed him to a 7 year, 154 million deal after the season started to lock him up through 2018, his age 36 season.  They say "First is the worst, second is the best, and third is the one with the treasure chest!" So far for Theo, first is the worst and second is the best, as getting AGon was the best move of the offseason for Boston. It was a no-brainer, because anyone would take a 29 year old slugging 1st baseman who has a great glove over a 32 year old 3rd baseman who bats .270 with 25 home runs and 80 RBI with a great glove. His career year so far makes it sweeter, but it was a great move anyways.  Did Theo make the right choice? Yes.               3: Theo signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year deal for 142 million, snagging him from LAA and making him the highest paid outfielder ever in the process.  This was simply a bad move. Many people were hoping that the Red Sox would sign Jason Werth, but he quickly signed with Washington for 10 times his werth (pun intended). This set the market for Crawford, so signing him was a bad idea. Once Werth signed, the Red Sox should have gone the route of trade. Also, they would get their draft pick back from Tampa Bay, so the Red Sox would be able to re-sign V-Mart wiwthout any huge consecuences compared to the draft we just had.  Did Theo make the right choice? No way, Jose. What should he have done? This is a little complicated.    He should have traded for Justin Upton. Still only 23, Upton has all the tools his brother has without the Manny-esque ego. He can hit for average, hit for power, run, has a cannon for an arm, and isn't quite as erratic as his brother in the field. If they did get Upton, he would convert to left field, as Drew has mastered Dewey's corner. They would trade Josh Reddick, (Kalish can take over RF when Drew leaves) Yamicco Navarro (Iggy can take over short when Scutaro leaves) Salty (V-Mart would occupy catcher for a few years) Larvenway (Ditto with Salty) and maybe throw in a player to be named later. All of the guys I named have potential, so the trade isn't unrealistic, especially with the way Towers was marketing him. Upton becomes a superstar, and a of the players I name become very good players. Not a bad trade for Arizona, but a great one for Boston.              4: Theo let Adrian Beltre sign with Texas for 6 years and 96 million dollars.  This was a no brainer. The Red Sox had just acquired a star first baseman, and moved their former first baseman to third. They already have a good DH. They get 2 draft picks. Who doesn't let Beltre go?  Did Theo make the right choice? Of course!                                                Theo's overall grade 2 right 2 wrong 50%  The numbers say Theo failed, but he didn't. I don't have a view of all the things Theo uses to build a roster, as I can only see the numbers. However, from a fan's point of view, he could have done a much better job. Despite this, our team is great.                                              I took over a hour to write this.    
    Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]

The Adrian deal was probably Theo's best deal ever along with Schilling.  The jury is still out on Crawford, especially against lefties where is nothing short of  poor.  Wheeler and Jenks don't appear to be working very well at the moment and I think this continues to be our biggest weakness.  The Yankees continue to find relievers that do well I'm not sure why we can't.

As far as Victor goes, he's a solid hitter but we had to let him go along with Beltre to get younger in the starting lineup.  Salty, I'm not sold on yet as our long term starter but Theo sees similarities between him and a young Jason so there you are for now.  Jason wasn't a great defender early on either but learned to call a good game and defend well.  They are both SWH's that should probably stick to one side of the plate but thats easier said by a fan than communicated to a player.  It's also very difficult to find a strong all round catcher these days so hopefully everything works out for the best.

Aceves was a good move as I hope Miller will be and all in all our team is having a lot of success so even though there are still changes to be made with the elders we can't complain too much. 

Still early!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

In Response to Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?:
    [QUOTE] Before you all start killing me, please read the whole post.    Obviously, Theo Epstein and the Red Sox had a huge offseason. However, I still wonder if Theo made the right moves.  I will not criticize Theo for his bullpen moves, as the bullpen is unpredictable. However, I will criticize him on the four main moves he made. He:                1: Let Victor Martinez go,                2: Let Adrian Beltre go,                3: Signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year, 142 million dollar deal to snag him from LAA, and                4: Traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez.  I will decide whether the move was good or not based only on before this season, so I don't have an advantage over Theo. Also, if the move was not good, I will decide what he should have done instead, again, not based on hindsight.                1: Theo let Victor Martinez sign with the Detroit Tigers for 4 years and 50 million dollars.  Theo's first move of the offseason was also his worst. If Theo had signed Martinez to a 4 year deal, he would have had him at ages 32, 33, 34, and 35. Those seasons are the start of most players' decline, but hitters as good as Martinez would still be productive at age 35. As for Martinez not being a good defender, if Posada can catch at age 38, why can't Martinez catch at age 35? Also, even with the season Papi is having, it is unlikely that Boston signs him to a 3 year deal at seasons' end, so at some point, Boston could just convert Martinez into the DH. Yes, you lose the 19th overall draft pick by keeping Martinez, but another move I would change makes up for it. Also, Martinez kills lefties.  Did Theo make the right choice? No. What should he have done? Sign V-Mart to a 4 year, 60 million deal.               2: Theo traded Eric Patterson, Reymond Fuentes, Anthony Rizzo, and Casey Kelly to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez, and signed him to a 7 year, 154 million deal after the season started to lock him up through 2018, his age 36 season.  They say "First is the worst, second is the best, and third is the one with the treasure chest!" So far for Theo, first is the worst and second is the best, as getting AGon was the best move of the offseason for Boston. It was a no-brainer, because anyone would take a 29 year old slugging 1st baseman who has a great glove over a 32 year old 3rd baseman who bats .270 with 25 home runs and 80 RBI with a great glove. His career year so far makes it sweeter, but it was a great move anyways.  Did Theo make the right choice? Yes.               3: Theo signed speedster Carl Crawford to a 7 year deal for 142 million, snagging him from LAA and making him the highest paid outfielder ever in the process.  This was simply a bad move. Many people were hoping that the Red Sox would sign Jason Werth, but he quickly signed with Washington for 10 times his werth (pun intended). This set the market for Crawford, so signing him was a bad idea. Once Werth signed, the Red Sox should have gone the route of trade. Also, they would get their draft pick back from Tampa Bay, so the Red Sox would be able to re-sign V-Mart wiwthout any huge consecuences compared to the draft we just had.  Did Theo make the right choice? No way, Jose. What should he have done? This is a little complicated.    He should have traded for Justin Upton. Still only 23, Upton has all the tools his brother has without the Manny-esque ego. He can hit for average, hit for power, run, has a cannon for an arm, and isn't quite as erratic as his brother in the field. If they did get Upton, he would convert to left field, as Drew has mastered Dewey's corner. They would trade Josh Reddick, (Kalish can take over RF when Drew leaves) Yamicco Navarro (Iggy can take over short when Scutaro leaves) Salty (V-Mart would occupy catcher for a few years) Larvenway (Ditto with Salty) and maybe throw in a player to be named later. All of the guys I named have potential, so the trade isn't unrealistic, especially with the way Towers was marketing him. Upton becomes a superstar, and a of the players I name become very good players. Not a bad trade for Arizona, but a great one for Boston.              4: Theo let Adrian Beltre sign with Texas for 6 years and 96 million dollars.  This was a no brainer. The Red Sox had just acquired a star first baseman, and moved their former first baseman to third. They already have a good DH. They get 2 draft picks. Who doesn't let Beltre go?  Did Theo make the right choice? Of course!                                                Theo's overall grade 2 right 2 wrong 50%  The numbers say Theo failed, but he didn't. I don't have a view of all the things Theo uses to build a roster, as I can only see the numbers. However, from a fan's point of view, he could have done a much better job. Despite this, our team is great.                                              I took over a hour to write this.    

All I have to say is that package for Justin Upton would have been rejected and never ever even considered. Like someone else already said it would take Gonzalez like deal prospects and than some in order to land Justin Upton. The Package would have to of had been centered around Iggy, Kalish, and Navarro and than some.  A 23 year old with a lot of potiential and really good tools to work with, that reminds a lot of people of a young Ken Griffey JR, doesn't come cheap whether we wish it did or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I was completely on board with trading for Upton, but let's not pretend the decision to do so was 100% Epstein's.  Also, trading for Upton likely precluded dealing for Gonzalez.

My choice for off-season free agent (Adam Dunn) has turned into less of an offensive force than Crawford.  And I'm talking about Joan Crawford here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not much to discuss here.  We'll never be privvy to whatever prospects were discussed for Upton, so it is a non-starter.  VMart was signed to be a DH.  It's pure speculation to assess how a DH would do as a catcher 2.56 months into a 4-year contract.  I was deadset against a Salty/Tek combo, but in all honesty, it looks like a far better move than signing VMart would've been.  Gonzo a definitely yes, and CC I never quite understood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My choice for off-season free agent (Adam Dunn) has turned into less of an offensive force than Crawford.  And I'm talking about Joan Crawford here.

Well, Dunn was signed for much less and still has over 50 points on CC's OBP this year.

I liked Dunn over CC as well.

They both stink right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Did Theo make the right moves in the off-season?:
    [QUOTE]Not much to discuss here.  We'll never be privvy to whatever prospects were discussed for Upton, so it is a non-starter.  VMart was signed to be a DH.  It's pure speculation to assess how a DH would do as a catcher 2.56 months into a 4-year contract.  I was deadset against a Salty/Tek combo, but in all honesty, it looks like a far better move than signing VMart would've been.  Gonzo a definitely yes, and CC I never quite understood.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything in your post, JB, and felt the same way about the Salty/Tek combo.  I didn't necessarily want VMart, but I was hoping they'd sign a more established catcher in the interim like John Buck or Russell Martin.  It looks like I could be proven wrong on this one.  The Crawford contract in terms of money and years seems a bit absurd, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong here too, or I at least hope Crawford measures up to be at least 75% of the player he is paid like.

In addition to the big moves, not to be overlooked is all of the surplus pitching he acquired.  These are the acquisitions that the short-sighted squawkers start premature bashing threads about in the offseason.  Some don't work out like Dennys Reyes, and others like Wheeler and Jenks are off to bad starts.  Rich Hill looked good for a few games before he went down.  On the other side of the ledger, Aceves has played a critical role and may continue to do so into the postseason, and Albers seems to have stepped into Wheeler's role nicely.  They've also been able to cash in on the Wakefield insurance policy and maybe Miller will turn into a swan. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stockpiling pitchers at the back end of the staff is a good strategy that has come into play this season.

We have used 20 pitchers so far with Andrew Miller waiting in the wings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

This post is inane.  V-Mart went to Detroit for top-notch catcher money, and already has proven Theo and team right by playing DH much of the time.

Beltre was not an issue because he needed to go to free up room for A-Gon.

I really honestly see Crawford as being a Henderson (little Henderson 0.o;;; ), Julio Franco mix, in that he can keep going and going as long as he maintains his fitness.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Boy Sherrif your really ignorant, and slimy. I like words like this... thanks for teaching them to me... 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I don't have a response to your post other than to save your words so you can't change or delete them later. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

theo did make a couple of good moves (agonz and letting vmart go) and made a terrible one(crawford). But keep in mind what really killed us was not signing matt holliday when we had the chance. He signed for less than crawford and would have been a much better fit. Crawford never made sense from the get-go. His skillset was not needed and is pretty much identical to ellsburys. IF we did not have pedroia then crawford would have been a fit. He is best suited for the #2 spot in the line up. Holliday on the other hand was a perfect fit for us. He is right handed, hits for a high average, and has 30-35 homer/ 105-110 rbi ability. I have no idea why theo passed on him and signed lackey instead. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I was thrilled with the acquisition of Adrian and Carl.  The $142 million was a shock to almost everyone, but Werner and Lucchino were gonna make sure Carl came here and NOT strengthen the Angels, whom we have to play almost annually in the playoffs, or the Yanquis.  The assertion that they weren't really interested in him I find laughable.  Why?  They weren't interested in Damon.  But even MORE TO THE point, they showed no interest in Mark Teixera at all UNTIL the last second when they swooped in and popped a bigger deal just prior to Tex getting serious with Boston.  Nope, they weren't interested.  Already had CC and Burnett, so they were cool. NOT!!!

Jenks was interesting but I thought he was past his prime.

Soriano and Jenks have balanced each other out though....

Wheeler, I was happy about ... then injuries.

I think Detroit tampered with V-Mart.  It might have come through Cabrerra and his other Venezuelan team-mates, but that angle worked for V-Mart's heart strings.  He IS playing DH a lot ... I think we have that spot covered fairly well.

Adrian B. was going ... no matter what.  His agent made sure of that.  It was a deal that worked for Beltre and Boston.  Adrian C. was still on Theo's short list, so Adrian B. was not gonna get money from Boston. 

I enjoyed both Victor and Adrian B. in their short Sox stints, but no one got a bad deal out of their time here.  The only short coming is Justin Masterson.  But you have to break eggs to make a frittata

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

[QUOTE]theo did make a couple of good moves (agonz and letting vmart go) and made a terrible one(crawford). But keep in mind what really killed us was not signing matt holliday when we had the chance. He signed for less than crawford and would have been a much better fit. Crawford never made sense from the get-go. His skillset was not needed and is pretty much identical to ellsburys. IF we did not have pedroia then crawford would have been a fit. He is best suited for the #2 spot in the line up. Holliday on the other hand was a perfect fit for us. He is right handed, hits for a high average, and has 30-35 homer/ 105-110 rbi ability. I have no idea why theo passed on him and signed lackey instead. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

[QUOTE]theo did make a couple of good moves (agonz and letting vmart go) and made a terrible one(crawford). But keep in mind what really killed us was not signing matt holliday when we had the chance. He signed for less than crawford and would have been a much better fit. Crawford never made sense from the get-go. His skillset was not needed and is pretty much identical to ellsburys. IF we did not have pedroia then crawford would have been a fit. He is best suited for the #2 spot in the line up. Holliday on the other hand was a perfect fit for us. He is right handed, hits for a high average, and has 30-35 homer/ 105-110 rbi ability. I have no idea why theo passed on him and signed lackey instead. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]Bingo - Crawford won't be hitting in at the top of the order with Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzo, Youk and Ortiz around. He is not worth 142 million and is already showing signs of breaking down - he is now on the disabled list and has only stolen 67 percent of his steal attempts. When you consider that the money that could have been spent on Holliday went instead to Lackey and Cameron, this was a big mistake. Crawford has never hit well in Fenway, can only play left due to his poor arm, and his defense hasn't been that great (he pulled up on the bloop double to left Friday night).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To do a proper evaluation you have to consider not just the 4 'big moves' but as others have said, all the pitching acquisitions and going with Salty as the #1 catcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Halifax,  Salty!  I forgot...thanks.

Salty has been a pleasant surprise.

What amazes me is that some of the same folks that are so involved in following up on our minor league prospects and THEIR YEARS OF DEVEyLOPMENT are among the impatient folks that would hardly give Salty the slimmest opportunity to develope or improve behind or beside the dish. 

While they would not admit it, they would probably not be happy with anything less than a fully developed Fisk.  I know some say they'd have been happy with Victor, but I'm not so sure.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

This is nuts.  Victor has caught 18 games in Detroit but given catcher money.  Tek has caught 33 games.  So to simply say that Victor should be here as the catcher ignores reality.  Theo knew he was going to go hard after Gonzalez.  That moves Youk to 3B and means Beltre is the odd man out.  Theo also got picks from letting players go and we all know the Sox have had good success with supplemental picks.  You can argue about Carl Crawford all you want.  In year 5 you might be proven right.  In year 1, he was in a slump, nothing more.  He is a dynamic talent and the Sox like what he brings to the table.  Having the diversity of Ellbury, Crawford, Pedey, etc being able to run is a huge asset.  The Angels won a championship being able to go first to third and the Sox now don't have to always be station to station.  These decisions are a whole lot more complicated than the OP acknowledges.  The bottom line is the Sox are positioned for 2011 to be one of the best teams in baseball.  The early season slump kept them from getting out of the gate like the 1984 Tigers.  But the Sox are hitting their stride now.  They are also set up for the future with draft picks to replace some of the talent lost in the Gonzalez deal.  You see, running an organization is much more than just grading one move as a success or failure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

All right. My Upton idea was insane, and getting Crawford wasn't the worst idea, but I still think that an ideal situation would have been getting someone besides Crawford. Maybe they could bring Damon back?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Also, for once Softlaw makes sense. If only he could when we are debating who is the best leadoff man in the league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE] All right. My Upton idea was insane, and getting Crawford wasn't the worst idea, but I still think that an ideal situation would have been getting someone besides Crawford. Maybe they could bring Damon back?

I don't undertand how getting a non-prime Johnny Damon is a more ideal situation than getting a prime Carl Crawford in regards to both immediate and future success.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]This is nuts.  Victor has caught 18 games in Detroit but given catcher money.  Tek has caught 33 games.  So to simply say that Victor should be here as the catcher ignores reality.  Theo knew he was going to go hard after Gonzalez.  That moves Youk to 3B and means Beltre is the odd man out.  Theo also got picks from letting players go and we all know the Sox have had good success with supplemental picks.  You can argue about Carl Crawford all you want.  In year 5 you might be proven right.  In year 1, he was in a slump, nothing more.  He is a dynamic talent and the Sox like what he brings to the table.  Having the diversity of Ellbury, Crawford, Pedey, etc being able to run is a huge asset.  The Angels won a championship being able to go first to third and the Sox now don't have to always be station to station.  These decisions are a whole lot more complicated than the OP acknowledges.  The bottom line is the Sox are positioned for 2011 to be one of the best teams in baseball.  The early season slump kept them from getting out of the gate like the 1984 Tigers.  But the Sox are hitting their stride now.  They are also set up for the future with draft picks to replace some of the talent lost in the Gonzalez deal.  You see, running an organization is much more than just grading one move as a success or failure.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Great post, Jim -- on the money.

And to add, too many thing that every move a GM makes should work out. The only way not to make any bad moves is to make no moves. The more moves a GM makes, which means the more he tries to improve his team, the more bad moves are going to pop up.

Sections
Shortcuts