Did you see Ted Williams Play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Did you see Ted Williams Play?

I know that there is another thread on Ted Williams but the thread title was "Is Ted Williams the greatest hitter that ever played?" With a thread title like that it immediately evolved into a pizzing contest between supporters of Babe Ruth and those of Ted. I am sure that wasn't the intention of Edith Bunker.

What I am asking for on this thread is for fans of the Red Sox to provide us with their long ago memories of seeing Ted in person at Fenway or other major league ballparks, watching him on early TV, or listening to games on their radios. Do you recall specific games that Ted starred in including All Star games. What did your fathers or grandfathers think about seeing Ted play? Has anyone here ever seen the red seat in the bleachers that was 502 ft. away that Ted hit on a gigantic home run? I know that many who respond will be in their 60s or older but if you have read about him and admire his unique skills then please respond.

If the thread gets polluted with those who wish to hijack it, you can always put such types on a temporary ignore. We could have more threads like this where the thread title is structured so that it is an invitation for Red Sox fans to reminesce about years gone by without getting into a debate with fans from other teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Re: Did you see Ted Williams Play?

In Response to Did you see Ted Williams Play?:
    [QUOTE]I know that there is another thread on Ted Williams but the thread title was "Is Ted Williams the greatest hitter that ever played?" With a thread title like that it immediately evolved into a pizzing contest between supporters of Babe Ruth and those of Ted. I am sure that wasn't the intention of Edith Bunker. What I am asking for on this thread is for fans of the Red Sox to provide us with their long ago memories of seeing Ted in person at Fenway or other major league ballparks, watching him on early TV, or listening to games on their radios. Do you recall specific games that Ted starred in including All Star games. What did your fathers or grandfathers think about seeing Ted play? Has anyone here ever seen the red seat in the bleachers that was 502 ft. away that Ted hit on a gigantic home run? I know that many who respond will be in their 60s or older but if you have read about him and admire his unique skills then please respond. If the thread gets polluted with those who wish to hijack it, you can always put such types on a temporary ignore. We could have more threads like this where the thread title is structured so that it is an invitation for Red Sox fans to reminesce about years gone by without getting into a debate with fans from other teams.
    Posted by losmediasloco[/QUOTE]

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I was at a game as a kid when Williams hit 2 home runs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I was at a double-header against the Chicago White Sox in the very late fifties or maybe in 1960 when Ted hit three doubles in the first game and only pinch hit in game two. Two of his three doubles went to left/left-center and I remember my dad telling me at the time that it might be the only time in his career he ever went to left twice in one game. Game two of the DH had the immortal Gary Gieger and Marty Keough starting in place of Ted and Jackie Jensen, a little disappointing to say the least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I saw him in a double header that our little league attended in 1954? He hit 2 homers that day. I think they were hit in the first game, but I'm not sure.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Yes I did and he was awesome.He had the sweetest swing and they called him the Thumper,Splendid Splinter,and Teddy ball game.He was,is and always will be the greatest hitter that ever lived. If he had not lost years of playing time due to being injured for a full season and serving two tours in the marine aviation corps he would be on top of every baseball catogory stats in all of baseball.He hit an unprecident.406 in 1941,which will never be surpassed.He hit a home run off Rip Sewill's BLOOPER ball in All Star game that was more difficult to hit than a knuckle ball. Not many players could say that. He hit a home run in his last career at bat. He is the reason I have followed the Red Sox since I followed Ted Williams in his illustrous career.HE WAS AND STLL IS MY HERO! ! ! !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

A Tribute to Ted Williams Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l57LiRBB7JE

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

In old Griffin Stadium in DC one night in 48 or 49 I saw Ted hit a towering ball to right that the RFer came in for and the 2nd baseman went out for. Both of them and everyone in the stands waited for it and then it did come down beyond the right field wall--the lights were not the best in that place!! But the very next day Ted tried to go from FIRST to second on a long fly to center by (I think it was Verne Stephens) but Mickey Vernon threw him out at second. He was my hero and -for what its worth-  the best hitter of all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scylla. Show scylla's posts

asolutely . for the first time in 1958 . there hasn't been anyone close to him as a hitter since he retired . hank aaron , willie mays etc . , all looked like wild hackers when compared to williams . he will always be my greatest hero both for what he did on the field and for the sacrifices he performed for his country as a marine corps fighter pilot . he was the real-life john wayne .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

you'd be lucky if anyone saw Yaz play...watched him a bunch and it's hard to remember...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

i was at the game(behind home plate i think in 62) when williams was called out on strikes and threw  his bat into the crowd.
    report was the bat struck tom yawkees housekeeper.
    this perhaps a low point in his career.

the only other players i can remember were clint courtney, a catcher for the washington senators and an up and coming star for senators playing 3rd base named harmon killebrew.