Disrespect: where to draw the line here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

Disrespect: where to draw the line here

Good afternoon fellow posters,

I need your advice. Not just from those who have expressed your opinion on the mod thread, but from also from those of you from whom I have not heard as yet. The posting policy states that posters are to be "respectful" and "courteous" to other posters. What that means is different to different people. It ranges from "anything goes" to the other end of the spectrum. I would like to know how posters would like this thread moderated, and I will do my best to follow those instructions.

Lets rank the needle on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being anything goes and 10 being much more strict about blocking posts and banning posters. Additional comment besides a number are welcome too. For example, is inserting political comments into baseball posts considered disrespectful? Remember: the same rules will be applied no matter whose post it is, regardless of their political beliefs.

I do not want to turn this thread into an afternoon soap. Just some constructive direction is being requested. Have at it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re: Disrespect: where to draw the line here

How about a 2.  There is already way too much political correctness and everyone taking offense at the slightest little insult or hint of impropriety.  I can take criticism as I am guessing most on here can.  I would hate to be banned for talking about the Washington Redskins. This Dago (that's an Italian for those of you in the race industry) can take a joke and loves clever sarcasm.  The only thing I would limit is obscenities.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

It doesn't really matter what we say.

Bottom line it falls on you and MOD1, you both have to put your bias aside. If you make a rule, it has to apply to all. I tested you earlier and noticed that four posts are still remaining that would be construed as "impolite." However, since they weren't posted by the usual suspects they still stand.

Just keep it even steven if you're going to remove or suspend folks.

Ultimately I think we should be able to police our selves, and use the ignore button or simply avoid confrontation unless we choose otherwise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

First of all, I think everyone should bare in mind, the mods were asked, agreed, and are doing this on a voluntary basis. They have put a lot of time and effort, in an attempt to make the forum better, which I think they have.

I think the warning before banning, is a good policy. Maybe doing it by a personal message, other than on the forum, may be best, if possible. I don't know if the mods can leave a pm if the profile is not set to public. It's very difficult to draw a line in the sand, where the banning should begin and end. What bothers one, may not bother another. I think if the forum is better as a whole, that's the most we can ask for. Why there can't be civil discussions, is something I've never understood. Are the insults, attacks and snarkiness really necessary? Why should "anything go"? Is that what it's come to? No common courtesy or mutual respect for an opposing opinion, or poster. Ask yourselves this before you hit add your post. Would you want someone you know, to read your posts? Is it something you would say, if that person was standing in front of you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about a 2.  There is already way too much political correctness and everyone taking offense at the slightest little insult or hint of impropriety.  I can take criticism as I am guessing most on here can.  I would hate to be banned for talking about the Washington Redskins. This Dago (that's an Italian for those of you in the race industry) can take a joke and loves clever sarcasm.  The only thing I would limit is obscenities.  

[/QUOTE]

What he said.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I actually wish there was less censorship here.  I'd rather have people swearing and throwing insults but staying on topic rather than going on a tirade about why Buchholz should be DFA'd because he kicked your dog.  (over dramatization) 

I also think if more comments were erased that had very little to do with the topic it would make for better conversation.  That would also probably eliminate some of the posters on here as well, or force them to have a conversation, that would do more to get rid of the problem that censorship.  If someone is really bothering someone they can just be put on ignore, and if they are obviously going overboard, then that is what the report button is for.  

Perhaps we should have a "showdown" thread were there are less rules for people to go at it???  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

To me, the arguing and crap throwing is a big part of the fun of this forum. Someone can call me an idiot, and I may fire back, and that doesn't bother me at all as long as it's sports related. Some of the arguments between Rusty and Pats66 were some of the funniest things I've ever read. What I hate are political arguments, or arguments about religion. I'm very conservative and I believe firmly in God, but I don't make snide remarks about other peoples beliefs, and rarely bring it up unless someone wants to make an issue of it. We have our set of self described "atheists" on is forum, and if they want to believe that way, that's their business. But I don't think they need to go out of their way to make an issue of it if someone happened to mention God in a post. Second, I don't insult players for their off field beliefs, though I may insult them with all vitriol for their on field performance. I've criticized Adrain Gonzalez for his on field inconsistency, but I'm annoyed by posters who bring up his religious beliefs in their remarks, and it's the same with Tim Tebow on the Pats forum. So to me, the arguing and insult throwing are part of the forum game, and I don't mind it a bit as long as it's on topic with disagreements about sports issues. When I get steamed and think people need to be banned is when they bring in insults about someone's beliefs, family, race, politics, or any other "serious life issue" not related to sports. There was a poster on the pats forum called "Ricky" that would intentionally start socially, politically, and racially incendiary threads and posts just to cause trouble. He was the absolute WORST poster of all time on this forum, and I hope he was/is banned permanently. He's the only poster on my entire time here that I have ever put on ignore. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesn't really matter what we say.

Bottom line it falls on you and MOD1, you both have to put your bias aside. If you make a rule, it has to apply to all. I tested you earlier and noticed that four posts are still remaining that would be construed as "impolite." However, since they weren't posted by the usual suspects they still stand.

Just keep it even steven if you're going to remove or suspend folks.

Ultimately I think we should be able to police our selves, and use the ignore button or simply avoid confrontation unless we choose otherwise.

[/QUOTE]Agree.....  Mod 2, I think that you are working too hard trying to make this sports forum  sooooo  P C that you may be taking the energy right out of the PAAK...... As an IE:  YESTERDAY, when I let "Joe Biden" out of the bag and mixed him with "TRADER FRANK LANE" (actually, there is an "air" of comparison) I sort of knew that there would be 3 POSTERS on this board who would "CRY, ALL THE WAY HOME" !!   Sure enough, I could see them sitting at "their COMPUTER" drooling with the chance to "TELL THE TEACHERS" that BILL-806 had run a muck again !! At the end of the day as stated above and has been stated many times the "IGNORE BUTTON" IS THE PERFECT TOOL.  So, my vote would be for much less GOVERNMENT here and let the boys & girls play the game as we all used to do in our back yards, if things get too hot to handle, then we can pick up the "BAT & BALL & GO HOME" !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all, I think everyone should bare in mind, the mods were asked, agreed, and are doing this on a voluntary basis. They have put a lot of time and effort, in an attempt to make the forum better, which I think they have.

I think the warning before banning, is a good policy. Maybe doing it by a personal message, other than on the forum, may be best, if possible. I don't know if the mods can leave a pm if the profile is not set to public. It's very difficult to draw a line in the sand, where the banning should begin and end. What bothers one, may not bother another. I think if the forum is better as a whole, that's the most we can ask for. Why there can't be civil discussions, is something I've never understood. Are the insults, attacks and snarkiness really necessary? Why should "anything go"? Is that what it's come to? No common courtesy or mutual respect for an opposing opinion, or poster. Ask yourselves this before you hit add your post. Would you want someone you know, to read your posts? Is it something you would say, if that person was standing in front of you?

[/QUOTE]

And when you call Miscricket "Missy", you want us to believe that you aren't being snarky?  Or when you refer to me as Jackbu, you aren't trying to stir the pot?  Then there is a poster who wants to bring up something she thinks happened 5 years ago on another site which has been shut down for 4 years. When she doesn't get her apology she tells me I should have manned up.

First thing first and the insults to Bill should be deleted and those posters making the insults should be banned. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, if you banned everyone who has insulted Bill, this board would be a pretty empty place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Passed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

MOD 2,  The above post that you just removed, while directed at me , I did not see anything out of line with it (Boagie) was just stating a fact as he saw/sees it..... Actually I would have given him a few points for HUMOR !!!   Again, a full time POLICEMAN here takes away from the "GIVE & TAKES" of being a RED SOX wan-a-bee GENERAL MANAGER !!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[/QUOTE]

I never mentioned your name, guilty conscious? I don't know you outside this forum, but you seem to know my twitter and yelp account well....

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Do I know you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

1st off thanks 4 asking mod 2

2ndly other than deleting my silly pics I think U R doing a fine job

I figure this censoring  rudeness is a slippery slope no matter how much U try 2 B fair

as long as  others have a '' ignore button '' I vote (1)

heck I would rather U ban  those 2 rude & lazy 2 trim the white space on their posts

maybe even disable the edit button till fixed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never mentioned your name, guilty conscious? I don't know you outside this forum, but you seem to know my twitter and yelp account well....

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, Do I know you?

[/QUOTE]

keep it that way, please and the forum will be a better place. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And when you call Miscricket "Missy", you want us to believe that you aren't being snarky?  Or when you refer to me as Jackbu, you aren't trying to stir the pot?  Then there is a poster who wants to bring up something she thinks happened 5 years ago on another site which has been shut down for 4 years. When she doesn't get her apology she tells me I should have manned up.

First thing first and the insults to Bill should be deleted and those posters making the insults should be banned. 

[/QUOTE]

Leave me out of this please. If you want to bring up the past, I'll happily travel down that road again. Wait, but you don't know me. LOL

Let's test the MOD again

[/QUOTE]

This is not a thread for a test. I am simply asking for the direction the majority of the posters here want to go in. I am just going to read the comments unless one is directed at me that seems to require a response, as yours does. Once a consensus is reached, hopefully within a few days,  I will try to summarize my understanding of what that consensus seems to be and do my best to abide by it going forward. I am not going backwards to alter all the posts that were blocked that should not have been blocked or block posts that should be blocked as that would be an impossible task. But you have my word that I will do my best to abide by what you all decide.

And Bill: I did not block Bogey's post. As I mentioned earlier, there is something wrong in the software whereby random posts are getting blocked. I unblocked it; lets see if its sticks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

steven, for some reason you seem to have an issue with me. why, because I referred to you at times, by your previous screen name? Is it suppose to be a secret? You've made it clear, you're one in the same. I assumed you were unable to log in and had to create another, as others have.  I've addressed you as both, for no particular reason. Miscricket hasn't taken issue with it, but you have? That was not my intention, at all. I address many that way. It was just a take on the first part of her screen name. If I called her cricket would that also be misinterpreted? Why dont you put me on ignore or just skip over my posts, since they seem to bother you so much. The mods asked for suggestions on their moderating, and you came in here, and took aim at mine. You've done that numerous times, in other threads.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[/QUOTE]

I never mentioned your name, guilty conscious? I don't know you outside this forum, but you seem to know my twitter and yelp account well....which is another way to stir the pot, when you talk about my tweets on this forum.  Not only is it disrespectful but it is also scary.

[/QUOTE]

You opened the can of worms this time. Not me.

Tell me something, you claimed you had me blocked on twitter. How do you block someone you don't know?

If you don't know me outside of this forum, how come you referred to me on your twitter by my first name?

Why do you claim not to be jackbu when everyone here knows you are, what are you hiding.

If you don't know me outside of this forum, how do you know about a site from 5 years ago that shut down 4 years ago. Apparently you did know me there.

Someone who lies as much as you do is creepy.

YOU BROUGHT IT UP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Mod2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Leave me out of this please. If you want to bring up the past, I'll happily travel down that road again. Wait, but you don't know me. LOL

Let's test the MOD again

[/QUOTE]

This is not a thread for a test. I am simply asking for the direction the majority of the posters here want to go in. I am just going to read the comments unless one is directed at me that seems to require a response, as yours does. Once a consensus is reached, hopefully within a few days,  I will try to summarize my understanding of what that consensus seems to be and do my best to abide by it going forward. I am not going backwards to alter all the posts that were blocked that should not have been blocked or block posts that should be blocked as that would be an impossible task. But you have my word that I will do my best to abide by what you all decide.

And Bill: I did not block Bogey's post. As I mentioned earlier, there is something wrong in the software whereby random posts are getting blocked. I unblocked it; lets see if its sticks.

[/QUOTE]OK, THANKS !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

steven, for some reason you seem to have an issue with me. why, because I referred to you at times, by your previous screen name? Is it suppose to be a secret? You've made it clear, you're one in the same. I assumed you were unable to log in and had to create another, as others have.  I've addressed you as both, for no particular reason. Miscricket hasn't taken issue with it, but you have? That was not my intention, at all. I address many that way. It was just a take on the first part of her screen name. If I called her cricket would that also be misinterpreted? Why dont you put me on ignore or just skip over my posts, since they seem to bother you so much. The mods asked for suggestions on their moderating, and you came in here, and took aim at mine. You've done that numerous times, in other threads. If they bother you so much, why don't you put me on ignore or skip over them, instead of your personal attacks?

[/QUOTE]

JBay:  You like to stir the pot at times with the best of them.  You think anyone who speaks up against you or pete has issues.  Miscricket did mention something about your Missy comment.

I have never made a link to a past name.  Stay in the present, it is the best place to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Stay in the present, it is the best place to be.

Says the guy that just brought up the past.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.................................

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BmoreCommie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was reading the last few pages of the Moderator thread and am puzzled by what Mod2 and RedsoxKimmi are talking about when she says " Is it okay to instigate, flame, and insult, as long as it is not a poster's PRIMARY purpose".  First of all what does this mean? Please translate.

I believe that Kimmi thought differently about it than Mod2 did. I have no opinion on this until you explain it and provide an example.

I'd like to hear from both Mod2 and Kimmi on this since " instigating, flaming, and insulting" are prevalent on many sports forums.

In other forums, I've seen threads that are designed to flame posters as a group who are are pro or against management, chronic pessimists or those with irrational exuberance, or loyalists or bashers. Threads started to annoy either side should be treated equally and not just favor or ptotect the majority of the forum.

The primary purpose of a thread is often to flame a group and not an individual poster. The target is wide. A large net is cast to catch many fish. I don't see where that poster should be reprimanded or banned. Most threads in Internet forums are designed to instigate, flame, and annoy.

[/QUOTE]

PIKE!

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

Sections
Shortcuts