Re: Disrespect: where to draw the line here
posted at 7/15/2014 2:01 PM EDT
In response to Bill-806's comment:
In response to Kingface12's comment:
In response to Mod2's comment:
OK, I have tried to sift through all these comments (yes, all of them) to try to come up with a summary of where we are now. I sincerely appreciate the input and over the next few days I am sure that some modifications in the way the forum is moderated will occur, based on your feedback, after I have had a chance to discuss this with Modd1.
Of those who submitted actual numbers (1=anything goes to 10=gestapo) there were four 2's, one 3-4, and one 8. Most of the comments were in favor of less censorship, and here are some cuts from them (ie not full quotes):
"I like arguing and throwing crap" "there should be less censorship" "censorship is a slippery slope" "posters should be able to deal with minor annoyances" "banning should be kept to a minimum"" too much censorship" "no one should be banned" "banning should be reserved for threats or racism" "posts should be deleted only in extreme cases" "banning should be extremely rare/I am not in favor of removing posts" "the overpolicing should stop" "there should be a high tolerance for personal insults and zero tolerance for racism/sexism/homophobia" "the bar should be set high for (post) deletion/I like the wild west approach"
On the other hand, there were several calls for a more civil board:
"prefer civil discussions" "call for common courtesy" "I dislike the snark and trash talk" "a pattern of disrespect deserves a warning" "a call for semi-civil interactions-no changes in the current level of moderation"
There were also several requests that the moderators be "less biased" and some calls for us to reveal our other screen name. For the record, there is a reason we are doing it this way: its tough to switch hats quickly and put on a mod hat where there is an expectation that we will at least attempt to be fair, a requirement that is not present when you all post under your screen names (examples of this abound in this thread).
I will need to discuss the specific changes that should be made with Modd1, but I think its fair to say that an effort will be made on our part to do the following:
1. Take a less vigorous approach to moderating while taking into consideration the views of the minority here who would like a more civil forum.
2. Renew our efforts to be less biased in our approach. You can help by citing specific examples that you think reveal bias and we will certainly endeavor to correct it going forward (it would be too time consuming to go back and try to correct all the previous errors)
Still to be decided are the following issues:
1. How to handle posters who have already been permanently banned
2. How to handle Bill's political one liners- which some here find very objectionable
3. How to handle our two usernames: should we simply have one
If I have left something out or if you have other suggestions let me know. Personally, I have no vested interest in pushing the forum one way or another. I gave up that power trip years ago. I will be in contact with Modd1 over the next few days to try to iron out the remaining issues and make a plan going forward based on what you have told us.
1) Permanent means permanent.....
2) Bill has been warned several times. If he does it again then he's gone.... I don't come here to discuss my love of Golf or anything Mopar.....so why should I listen to somebody talk about politics.....
3) For the love of everything Holy...being a Mod and posting under another name is simply silly. There is no reason why you can't post under your screen name and have "mod" under it. EVERY forum does this.....no idea why this one (which is VERY SMALL compared to others) should be any different.
[/QUOTE]There ya go again !!! Crying, we,we,we all the way home !!!!
So I take you disagree with 'opinion #3'?
BTW....leave my bathroom habits out of this discussion Bill......