D.L. and bullpen.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

D.L. and bullpen.

We currently have four pitchers on the D.L.  All are expected back before long. Some decisions will have to be made. Obviously , Wilson and Wright go down. That still leaves two extra pitchers. Barring more injuries , I think a trade will have to be made. Who would be likely to go ?  Aceves? Mortensen ?  Morales ? Breslow ?  Hanrahan? What say you ?  Bailey , Uehara and Tazawa will certainly stay.  Miller probably stays.  My guess is that either Breslow or Morales is dealt. Then it will be either Aceves or Mortensen. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe we rotate different guys on the D. L. for a while to stall for time. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: D.L. and bullpen.

i don't see Morales or Breslow getting dealt at all. Especially when they haven't thrown a pitch so far this season.. If we were to deal them it would have to be a few weeks after coming back and show that their injuries haven't affected them. So IMO it would have to be 2 guys from the current staff. Like you said Taz, Bailey, Uehara are not going anywhere so that leaves:

Aceves

Mortenson

Miller

The obvious 2 choices to me are Ace and Miller. Carrying 3 lefties is a bit redundant so Miller is expendable (also Morales and Breslow are lefties who are better than him IMO) and Morales is a longman/spot starter so that makes Ace expendable.

Ace is also a commodity... one of the best longmen in the game, very talented and now has shown he can be a starter. Opposing teams would love to have a guy like him to fall back on if a spot in the rotation opens up. He probably has the highest value out of the 3 i mentioned.

Miller probably has the least value out of the 3.. spotty control but throws fire. Capable of being more than just a LOOGY.

Mortenson is also an option if we are interested in keeping 3 lefties in the pen (not a bad plan B because if a starter goes down Morales would then go to the rotation and then that would leave just 2 lefties in the pen). Consider this: the Rockies gave up Mort for Scutaro. Since then, Mort has been fantastic and posted these numbers: 17 ER in 50 innings, 1.168 WHIP, 2.4 SO/BB ratio and an oppBA of .212 oh yeah and his ERA+ in 2012 was 133! We could get a very good pitching prospect in return for Mort.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i don't see Morales or Breslow getting dealt at all. Especially when they haven't thrown a pitch so far this season.. If we were to deal them it would have to be a few weeks after coming back and show that their injuries haven't affected them. So IMO it would have to be 2 guys from the current staff. Like you said Taz, Bailey, Uehara are not going anywhere so that leaves:

Aceves

Mortenson

Miller

The obvious 2 choices to me are Ace and Miller. Carrying 3 lefties is a bit redundant so Miller is expendable (also Morales and Breslow are lefties who are better than him IMO) and Morales is a longman/spot starter so that makes Ace expendable.

Ace is also a commodity... one of the best longmen in the game, very talented and now has shown he can be a starter. Opposing teams would love to have a guy like him to fall back on if a spot in the rotation opens up. He probably has the highest value out of the 3 i mentioned.

Miller probably has the least value out of the 3.. spotty control but throws fire. Capable of being more than just a LOOGY.

Mortenson is also an option if we are interested in keeping 3 lefties in the pen (not a bad plan B because if a starter goes down Morales would then go to the rotation and then that would leave just 2 lefties in the pen). Consider this: the Rockies gave up Mort for Scutaro. Since then, Mort has been fantastic and posted these numbers: 17 ER in 50 innings, 1.168 WHIP, 2.4 SO/BB ratio and an oppBA of .212 oh yeah and his ERA+ in 2012 was 133! We could get a very good pitching prospect in return for Mort.

It is a tough call. You really don't want to lose any of those guys. You know there will be more injuries as the year progresses. We may try to play around with the D.L. for a while to avoid making the decision. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Aceves

Mortenson

Miller

It is a tough call. You really don't want to lose any of those guys. You know there will be more injuries as the year progresses. We may try to play around with the D.L. for a while to avoid making the decision. 

another option could be optioning someone who has them left (Aceves and Tazawa) and storing them in the minors until they are needed. Aceves would most likely decline and request to be traded or released. Which is understandable. Tazawa would probably do whatever is asked of him. Especially if we tell him he is going to the minors to be stretched out and become a starter again. I am all in on this move in particular. He has the best stuff on the staff IMO and would be a fantastic starter. The only downside is that is that we sacrifice an integral part of our BP in the present to upgrade our future plans. Then again, Breslow/Morales are fantastic relievers so we really wouldn't be losing a ton of talent in our BP and it would still keep our stockpile of quality relievers intact. Ben has some very tough decisions going forward but it's hard to come up with a wrong answer to this scenario.. no matter how you slice it we are going to have an above average BP. Some plans upgrade our future (prospects) at the expense of very good BP components and others keep our biggest asset -depth- intact. Either way, i believe we will be in good shape.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hate to sound negative, but my guess is that when someone is ready to come off the DL, another will be ready to go on it. Maybe even a phantom injury will be "created".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I hate to sound negative, but my guess is that when someone is ready to come off the DL, another will be ready to go on it. Maybe even a phantom injury will be "created".

yeah, maybe Hanrahan will experience a "setback" or Miller will have "shoulder inflammation" and work on his control in the minors

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

These things have a way or working themselves out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I don't know if I call it "negative", Moon.  Maybe just call it management, although it is a negative to the reliever who loses his chair when the music stops.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

My one concern about the Sox , their DL and the plethora of pitching from AAA and the MLB team is whether Ben can make trades--without the anguish of losing a family member? I have this feeling he is a hoarder and he doesn't like letting people go...Case in point 5 catchers on the 40 man roster...20 pitchers(4 on the DL). 

I like BenC and Farrell together and perhaps between the two they will make a solid deal in the coming months.

My feeling is it will come down to Aceves or Mort after they see Lackey in a few outings.

I like Gomes but I think they will have to part with Gommes or Carp eventually; there is not enough playing time when you add Nava into the mix. If ShaVic is out for any length of time they will have to resort to Nava in RF. Injuries are a huge part of pro sports and you try to be cautious in making trades for fear of that injury concern.

Personally I liked the way JF managed time without Ortiz for the DH slot. I think Nap in front of Ortiz followed by WMB in the 6 hole---might give Nap better pitches to see esp. with Ells, Vic and Pedroia as table setters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Too much pitching is never a problem. Remember last time RS thought they had too much pitching they traded Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena, how did that one work out? These things have a way of working themselves out, either bad performance or injuries usually do the trick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

We currently have four pitchers on the D.L.  All are expected back before long. Some decisions will have to be made. Obviously , Wilson and Wright go down. That still leaves two extra pitchers. Barring more injuries , I think a trade will have to be made. Who would be likely to go ?  Aceves? Mortensen ?  Morales ? Breslow ?  Hanrahan? What say you ?  Bailey , Uehara and Tazawa will certainly stay.  Miller probably stays.  My guess is that either Breslow or Morales is dealt. Then it will be either Aceves or Mortensen. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe we rotate different guys on the D. L. for a while to stall for time. 

Mortensen stays.......... With Webster pitching tonight and if "he is what we think he is" then things will get interesting for sure !!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Either someone gets Fenway Flu or Tazawa also heads to Pawtucket temporariliy...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lots of prospects will not be able to be protected from the rule-5 draft this offseason and I would think that BC has a few names on the bottom of that list to add to a trade and even a couple on the top of that list for the right return.

If a reliever were to be traded, it might make more sense that its a part of a package for a better return.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Mortensen stays.......... With Webster pitching tonight and if "he is what we think he is" then things will get interesting for sure !!!

wish you would shut up about a trade.

Just asking,  what country are you from ???   Perhaps the  Government needs to take a look at you ??  Just wondering !!

dude..........

Sections
Shortcuts