DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield  Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

Lavarnway is in AA and Doubrant is coming off an injury great plan...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lavarnway is not a major league catcher, never will be. Maybe will someday be a dh, but never a catcher.
    Doubrant is out of shape and still needs to build up his arm to not deplete the bull pen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Can anyone tell me which catcher has the best OPS in the league in May?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant:
    Can anyone tell me which catcher has the best OPS in the league in May?
    Posted by Joebreidey

Russell Martin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Man these threads are gettin gold

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Stop living in the past Joe, this is June now.  He hasn't gotten a hit yet this month (1 game).  Of course, Salty had an OPS of over .900 before today (that could only go up after a 3-4 with a triple). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Typical nonsense from softlaw SoxSoldRed.  Neither of those guys is ready for MLB.  Wake and Tek are proven quantities--older, granted, but still capaple of helping to win games.  The prospect of Doubront and Lavarnway trying to contribute to a pennant race is downright frightening. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant:
    Typical nonsense from softlaw SoxSoldRed.  Neither of those guys is ready for MLB.  Wake and Tek are proven quantities--older, granted, but still capaple of helping to win games.  The prospect of Doubront and Lavarnway trying to contribute to a pennant race is downright frightening. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

The funny part is that, pre-season, I didn't want any part of Saltek, and I also wanted Doubront over Wake.  And i thought my call was pretty good early on.

But now that we need a #5 SP instead of a #7 RP, and given Wake's penchant for really good 1st halves, he makes more sense right now than Doubront.  And since the end of April both Salty and Tek are hammering pretty good.  I don't think either Wake or Tek will last past about the ASB, but no reason to mess with the order of things right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hey, Joe, neither did I.  Well, I was willing to go along with the great expertise of the Sox system, but thought this guy was a huge risk, only made worse by a horrible April. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

this is just a guess - but there is no way that the Sox DFA Tek or Wake. mainly because it is a massively stupid idea.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant...

STUPIDITY RUN AMOK

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I never cease to be amazed at the lameness of some of the threads here sometimes. People can't be this brainless, surely it's just someone trying to get attention for themselves? TIP: It's the wrong kind of attention, I mean, if you actually care what others think--and obviously you do or you'd keep these kinds of "look at me, I have an idea" thoughts to yourself and not post anything at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Great plan! The problem is usually the backup catcher and former 7th man in the pen. 

So the Sox should DFA the backup catcher and call up a minor league prospect to be the backup?  Or do we move to backup and hope Lavernway does better?

What is the plan if Lavernway, who, by the way, is not an adequate defensive catcher, cannot handle the job or struggles at the plate early on?

If the Sox go to the minors for a catcer, I hope they try McKenry first...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

In Response to DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant:
    DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield  Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

Melt down coming any day should have a new login anyday. Lavarnway was brought to AA late last year lets just skip AAA and see if if AAA is needed at all. After this experiment we can just eliminate AAA ball all together.

Softy get a new Team to root for, this one doesn't seem to "think" thank god the same way you do so please leave it alone. You have NO idea what a business is so try another team, This one is too good for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

i think that Softy (or whoever he is) is enraged that Varitek, Salty, Jed, Jake all keep proving him wrong...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I think that Varitick's performance is proving he's washed up. Salty was a good pick up, as a split time catcher. Jed is poor v. RHP and is butcher at SS and is a pretzel who needs a lot of tired days off. Bellsbury's career averages make Greenwell look like Ted Willaims. Bellsbury continues to show why he's a weak defensive CF'er, as he plays deep in CF and pulls up early as he counts the days towards FA.

You forget Wastefield, null, his ERA is over 5 since the last half of 2009. Yes, that would send any other pitcher to the dumpster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think that Varitick's performance is proving he's washed up.

Yeah, a .900+ OPS over the last 28 days is proving it's time to cut ties.

Salty was a good pick up, as a split time catcher.

Wow! An admission of a mistake, or will you deny you ever said Salty was a terrible choice.

Jed is poor v. RHP and is butcher at SS and is a pretzel who needs a lot of tired days off.

He's played 42 out of 48 games since becomming a "regular", and I believe only 2 were because of illness. Tito did what you want him to do: sat him vs tough righties the other 6.

Bellsbury's career averages make Greenwell look like Ted Willaims.

Yes, Cam's career averages are much closr to Teddy.

Bellsbury continues to show why he's a weak defensive CF'er, as he plays deep in CF and pulls up early as he counts the days towards FA.

He dives a lot, but has to because of late breaks and playing too deep (agreed).

You forget Wastefield, null, his ERA is over 5 since the last half of 2009. Yes, that would send any other pitcher to the dumpster.

How's he done since you said dump him this spring?

Take a look at how many pitchers are hanging on with ERAs at about 5.00. Take a look at Miller's career ERA: the guy you want instead of Wake.

More clown logic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Varitek and 28 days of part-time work does not a season make. He's washed up, and losing it mentally, as well.

How old is Miller? Is he squatting on a MLB roster?

How many pitchers with a 5 plus ERA over 2 full seasons are "hanging around". Not many.

No, Lowrie's missed more than 2 days. But "since becoming a regular" means nothing. The guy has been platooned early in the season and is a young guy who should now be able to play 99% of every game from here on out. I'm glad he can't do that, and you should be glad, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Varitek and 28 days of part-time work does not a season make. He's washed up, and losing it mentally, as well.

Hey fool: he's a bck up catcher. Of course he will get "part-time work"

How old is Miller? Is he squatting on a MLB roster?

No, and for good reason: he has about as many BBs as IP in AAA. You still want him strting instead of Wake? Give it up man! You lost the argument 3 starts and a few quarts of potato salad ago.

How many pitchers with a 5 plus ERA over 2 full seasons are "hanging around". Not many.

Not the one you want here anyway (Miller), yes.

No, Lowrie's missed more than 2 days. But "since becoming a regular" means nothing. The guy has been platooned early in the season and is a young guy who should now be able to play 99% of every game from here on out. I'm glad he can't do that, and you should be glad, too.

I never wanted Jed to play FT.  I never said he should. I never wanted him to be our SS. You know that, even though you pretend to think you are the only one who knows limited range SS can kill a staff (or team). 

I took issue with your false claim that Jed had "no pop" and for that you assume I am someone who thinks Jed is "elite". He is not. He is a great hitter vs LHPs and a decent fielding 2Bman and maybe 3Bman. He's a better fielding IF'er than BHall, and we have a 5th OF'er now who barely plays.
    I'd love to have a defensive SS, but get over it. Theo lost that vision the year we lost with Gonzo at SS, and thinks we won in 2004 because Cabrera could hit, when in reality, it was his glove that helped us win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

When was Lowrie's last homer? How many does he have in his career? He has no pop, pal. You made the false claim that he did. He does not.

28 days isn't 28 days of work. Hey, fool, don't list 28 days when it's more like a week or two of games actually played.

The Red Sox have better fielders on the farm, and the butcher is a better fielder than Lowrie. The 5th OF'er was a mistake and a waster roster spot. Get rid of Wakefield, trade Lowrie, put Mac through waivers, and get Hall for almost zilch. If Scutaro gets hurt, Iggy, Navy can handle the job with Hall as the UIF'er. Hall was hardly unable to handle part-time IF duty.

The Red Sox should offer Lowrie and Bellsbury for Kemp or Upton, for long term reasons. 

OF would be:

Kemp
    Crawford
    Drew/Cameron 

Hall was fine as a 5th OF'er and would be fine as backup IFer.

Doubrant should take Wastefield's spot, which gives a spot starter, lefty matchup and long relief guy.

Since Varitik isn't going anywhere, they could use a roster spot for a veteran catcher who is still young enough to provide quality defensive catching part-time duty, late in some starts against teams that feature small-ball.

Right now, the 25 man roster is effectively a 23 man roster. Frankly, it's pitiful the way Theo is using roster spots.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When was Lowrie's last homer? How many does he have in his career? He has no pop, pal. You made the false claim that he did. He does not.

You claim "pop" means only HR%: that is an opinion, not a fact.
    I claimed Jed had "pop" last year, and you tried to compare him to BHall. It turned out Jed had an HR% very similar to BHall last year. My "No pop" thread was about 2010.

28 days isn't 28 days of work. Hey, fool, don't list 28 days when it's more like a week or two of games actually played.

I assume most of us have a brain and know that 28 days for guys like VTek and Jed does not mean 26-28 games. We know the difference between "games" and "days". Sorry, if you don't.

The Red Sox have better fielders on the farm, and the butcher is a better fielder than Lowrie. The 5th OF'er was a mistake and a waster roster spot. Get rid of Wakefield, trade Lowrie, put Mac through waivers, and get Hall for almost zilch.

You blasted me in late March & early April for saying Tito would not play DMac, so they should move him. "I was the leader on..."

If Scutaro gets hurt, Iggy, Navy can handle the job with Hall as the UIF'er. Hall was hardly unable to handle part-time IF duty.

I never said he wasn't. All I said was that Jed is a better fielding IF'er than BHall, and at least can hit one third of ML hitters well.

The Red Sox should offer Lowrie and Bellsbury for Kemp or Upton, for long term reasons. 

Finally a name given.

OF would be:

Kemp
    Crawford
    Drew/Cameron 

Hall was fine as a 5th OF'er and would be fine as backup IFer.

We have Cam and Lowrie. What's your plan for the extra slot? A3rd catcher? A 13th pitcher?

Doubrant should take Wastefield's spot, which gives a spot starter, lefty matchup and long relief guy.

So, you gave up on Miller and Wally?

Since Varitik isn't going anywhere, they could use a roster spot for a veteran catcher who is still young enough to provide quality defensive catching part-time duty, late in some starts against teams that feature small-ball.

Right now, the 25 man roster is effectively a 23 man roster. Frankly, it's pitiful the way Theo is using roster spots.

I agree, but the issue is Theo and Tito, not the productive Wake and VTek.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Lavarnway is not a major league catcher, never will be. Maybe will someday be a dh, but never a catcher.
    Posted by rkarp

Chill!  Why say stuff like that?  I hope the kid makes it as a catcher.  Why root against him?  He's a good kid and, as you know, has a major league stroke.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sections
Shortcuts