DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

Re: DL or DFA Varitek and Wakefield Call-up Lavarnway and Doubrant

It's a off day, the Sox are winning, Nothing to Read here!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Went to 2 games last week saw Lavarnway play, can tell you this he has thrown out 44% of the baserunners, and he sure can hit. Shouldn't be in Double AA

Thank you for a fine report that shines through all the drivel from other posters on this thread. While they should have replaced Varitek with a solid defensive veteran catcher who wasn't 39 years old, they didn't. They should stop wasting two roster spots on Mac/Sutton and Wakefield and call up a catcher with a decent arm. Give Varitek some humble pie and tell him to DL and rest up some during the middle part of the year. If he complains and does a MLBPA "I"m not hurt and I'll file a grievance or call the press", DFA him.

Signing Hall for almost no cost allows them to get rid of Sutton/Mac and allows for another catcher. Right now, they have one catcher who has taken about 1/3 of the season to finally improve his plate work, but is still a butcher behind the plate (meaning blocking, catching the ball and throwing the ball), and another geriatrics guy who is so wooden behind the plate he is a human passed ball with a paper arm.

Any competent GM takes reasonable steps to improve the team, long and short term.

1. Get a catcher who has a strong and accurate arm and soft hands and good agility (A look at Lavarnway part-time hurts nothing and there are veteran catchers with strong and accurate arm and soft hands and good agility who are weak hitters who most certainly could be acquired at a reasonable cost. No, I'm not doing the research for million of dollars GM office budget Theo)

2. Get a solid young RH OF'er

3. Get a solid young pitching talent and shelf Wastefield

This team has underachieved, big time, in the first two months of the season. Just because it has enough potential to contend, without any moves, is no reason not to make the obvious moves to shake up this blue smoking gas guzzler with a lot of horsepower and terrible efficiency.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Clearly any intelligent GM sticks with both Tek and Wakefield. The pitchers do quite well with Tek and Wake has pitched pretty well. To go to a AA catcher and a pitcher who is coming of an injury is a sure path to destruction. Silly Silly thought.

I read this thred title and thought it was a joke. Really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The pitchers have coughed up 44 ER in Varitek's last 8 squats. So much for the notion "the pitchers do well with Tek".

"Sure patch destruction" is a pitiful bugaboo. A split time catcher who has a tonof talent and smarts, has good plate work approach, strong arm, is hardly "a patch to destruction".

Wastefield and his 5 plus ERA since the last half of 2009 is an injury per se. Doubrant is off the DL and if he needs to be pampered than Wastefield needs to be 6 feet under.

The post, directly supra, is the only joke. Really.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Continue to use the small CERA type sample size to disprove the large sample size. All the while feel free to say that catchers have no effect on pitching success. Don't worry no one will notice that your playing both sides of the fence. You don't, why should we.

Wakefields ERA is 4.5 this year...you know the one the Sox are curently playing. The one where he's been healthy. That year.

Clearly the FO does not agreee with your assesment of Lavernway. I trust Mr. Epstien and Cherington et al. over a banned interweb personality.

The amazing thing is you will still think your right long after I've won the argument. It's baffling, really.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Yes, the 2011 ERA one where he averages sitting for a week or two between use.

You and your deadhead has no brain cells. Who is "Lavernway"? You don't even know how to spell the guys name, much less what kind of player he is. I'm not a banned interweb personality, but you should be.  

Put on your ape suit on and go sign Lugo, Scutaro and Slackey based upon a career year. Lick Inepstein and Cherington's feet, and light up a doobie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

Name caling only. I guess it's official, the argument is mine. Don't worry Softy, no concession speach is required.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

You lose, deadhead, Softy isn't needed to debunk bunk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

You create bunk. How could you debunk it?
    I wiped the floor with you on this one. The best you have been able to come up with is that I mispelled a double A catchers name. Well that and you thought up some odd ape suit foot licking fantasy. Really bizarre. Just weird.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now softy is making evaluations and judgements based on statements made by someone else who saw just two games.

This is really getting more and more absurd.

(No offense bobbysu, but if you had said the opposite, we all know the names softy would have called you.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

What the frig is with this thread?  Softy, the Sox are not going to DFA a pitcher who has helped them in spot starts no matter how many times you whine about it or twist logic.  It is not happening.  Also, Whether you like it or not, the organization feels very comfortable with Tek as the backup catcher.  i feel very comfortable with Salty as the #1.  If Salty needs a day here and there, I'm fine with Tek catching a few more games.  If the Sox don't win, it will not be because of Tek.  This is a false flag operation on your part.  You are becoming the new Captain Dunsel.  Give it up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Moonslav, your evaluation was based upon a cut and paste old scouting report from Redsoxprospects.com. I'll take the report from the guy who recently saw Lavarnway play two games, as well as the current AA metrics. 

Invest innings and time in the future, turn the lights out on the the ugly picture of the recent past.