Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?

In Response to Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?:
    [QUOTE]  I cringe often when reading comments from Adrian as they occasionally come across as "don't question us" or "I know best" mentality.  Last year, I did care, call me a naive fan, but I did hope he was going to win the homr run contest, it is why i kept watching.  At the conclusion, his comment "no big deal" while correct, still made me question why be a fan.  His latest comment as to ya gotta eat something "if not chicken it would be steak" makes me feel even angrier about losing Tito.   DeValentine is a great hire.  I just wondered if those type of comments irritate others as much as they do me?
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

You are taking it way too badly.   What did you want from him playing the last half with a shoulder that was worn down?  He carried the team before that.  He finished with oneof the top 35 seasons in Sox HISTORY but you're P.O.'d???

So he doesn't get all maudlin ... don't we have enough WHINERS already???

He isn't pointing out players, calling anyone out, putting anyone down ... he isn't being outraged ... THAT YOU CAN TELL. Some people keep a calm demeanor in public. So?

His play isn't enough for you?

Sad.

Find someone that really may have failed the team if you want. Agon wasn't one.

So, to answer your question, NO!

But your attitude bugs the snot out of me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

No.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Gold glove, 300-400-500-900 hitter...was he does doesn't bother me in the slightest...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

this guy is a class act.nothing he says has bothered me yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

It's ironic that Pike quotes Marx and Fields, because he's exactly the kind of sanctimonious windbag that both of them despised. In an earlier time, his type was tarred and feathered and driven out of New England towns when people had had enough of being told what to think and what to say. One place to find Pike in literature is in Hawthorne's work. Dead to rights. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?:
    [QUOTE]It's ironic that Pike quotes Marx and Fields, because he's exactly the kind of sanctimonious windbag that both of them despised. In an earlier time, his type was tarred and feathered and driven out of New England towns when people had had enough of being told what to think and what to say. One place to find Pike in literature is in Hawthorne's work. Dead to rights. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

True. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I really dont think AGon is trying to be flippant...but like his earlier comment about playing so many night games because the Sox are on tv a lot, not the smartest comments to make....

i dont think articulation is a strength of his

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]gonzalez is j.d. drew with much more production imo....he doesnt get too down or too high...i dont see why it would bother anyone....i dont know what you would expect him to say.....either way it would be a story, if he went the other way when asked the questions, he would be crucified for throwing his teammates under the bus and people would say he wasnt a good team player....give the guy a break, he came to boston from the NL last year and absolutely raked all season
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Delete this post.

Quickly...

I don't think anyone really noticed yet...

And in the future, don't compare ANYONE to Drew unless you're painting them as a worthless lump.

I can't believe people were holding out hope through the last month of his career. And even funnier some referred to last year as a "contract year" for Drew. HAHAHAHAHA! He's been counting the days to retirement since getting his ring in 07, what a joke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Adrian's comments don't bother me.  I especially don't see what the issue was with his comment after last season that it wasn't in God's plans for the Sox to make it to the postseason.  I thought his comment in reference to the chicken and beer was funny.

While Adrian might sometimes comes across as aloof when he's giving an interview, IMO, he's an extremely smart baseball player who gets it on the field. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]And in the future, don't compare ANYONE to Drew unless you're painting them as a worthless lump. I can't believe people were holding out hope through the last month of his career. And even funnier some referred to last year as a "contract year" for Drew. HAHAHAHAHA! He's been counting the days to retirement since getting his ring in 07, what a joke.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

The last year of Drew's contract was bad.   Really bad.   Most long-term contracts end up being one or two years too long.   Outside of being one year too long, however, I would do the Drew contract all over again with no reservations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I find myself saying to my kids, "  you asked me a question and I gave you an answer, If you don't like my answer that now becomes your problem"  Asking these guys to give the perfect answer is an impossible task.  Someone is bound to be ticked off.  As my signature says:  dont forget the past...............but at the same time don't dwell on it either.  I for one don't care what they say because its all just smoke, I care how they play.
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  I've gotten old enough now to where I'll give that advice out to people that could actually cause trouble.  The owner of the company, the CEO, it doesn't matter.  Before I answer on sensitive questions, I'll ask if they want me to lie and say things are great, or do they want the truth?  I'll tell my wife if she wants me to intercede with the kids, don't expect me to side with her 100% of the time.

The idea that we have to parse every sentence coming out of the RS camp escapes me.

I'm looking forward to Beckett/Verlander, not universal truth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : The last year of Drew's contract was bad.   Really bad.   Most long-term contracts end up being one or two years too long.   Outside of being one year too long, however, I would do the Drew contract all over again with no reservations.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Too many people look to the size of the contraqct rather than context.  If the existing choices were to re-sign Nixon, or sign one of the other OFers available, CLee, Soriano, Matthews, Pierre, etc., then Drew was the best choice by a fair margin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : A lot of it sounds like stuff Manny would say...but Manny used to hit like a madman against the Yankees...that's what Adrian needs to do too.  Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE] Best post I've seen in a while

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : I almost find that shocking not that a sox fan would want to overlook it but to suggest you don't see why others would have an issue with it  Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Well without getting into a deep debate about religion, some people have a strong belief and faith that everything that happens is God's will, that everything happens for a reason.  IMO, he wasn't "blaming" God for the loss.  And in saying that it was not God's will for the Red Sox to make the postseason, I don't think that he meant that in the simplistic terms of a baseball game, but in terms of the much larger life lessons associated with it.  I'm only guessing, of course.

I'm not saying I have a problem with people disagreeing with Adrian's religious beliefs.  People are entitled to believe whatever they want.  What I don't understand is why people would have issues with Adrian having the religious beliefs that he has.   People thank God all the time for the blessings in their lives, including winning World Series.   And people also often say, "it wasn't God's will" when they suffer a disappointment.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

2004 ALCS Game 5
    The Yankees threatened in the top of the ninth when former Red Sock Tony Clark hit a ball to deep right with two outs, but the ball took a hop over the short right-field wall for a ground-rule double, forcing Rubén Sierra to stop at third base, where he was stranded to set up another extra-inning marathon.

Had the ball not taken the funny hop into the stands the Yankees would have won the game and the ALCS.

Millions of fans after the heartbreaking ALCS loss were saying to themselves " It wasn't meant to be". "It seemed like some spirit, karma, God was against the Yankees." "Red Sox had God on their side".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not saying I have a problem with people disagreeing with Adrian's religious beliefs.  People are entitled to believe whatever they want.  What I don't understand is why people would have issues with Adrian having the religious beliefs that he has.   People thank God all the time for the blessings in their lives, including winning World Series.   And people also often say, "it wasn't God's will" when they suffer a disappointment.

I think there are far, far, far more people that chalk things up to God's will, destiny, the fates, or anything else they believe in than those that beleive in randomness.  My own belief is that we are in control of our destiny, but that God has a plan for us.

But irregardless, I couldn't care less what Gonzo's opinion is on the subject.  I'd like to see a .950 OPS, particularly against the NYY, and GG defense.  I'd hope that he's a nice guy, and I guess it would be cool if he is a practicing Catholic, but honestly, I have no clue whether my friends go to Mass or not.  It's a non-starter for me.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]Millions of fans after the heartbreaking ALCS loss were saying to themselves " It wasn't meant to be". "It seemed like some spirit, karma, God was against the Yankees." "Red Sox had God on their side". good find pike I mean comparing fans to a player in a conversation stemming from  him being a leader what a concept
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

You mean not one of the Yankee players in the 2004 ALCS when they looked back at that series didn't wonder if the planets were perfectly alligned for the Red Sox. Did they all think that the Yankees were the worst team because that is what good leaders would have to say?

Is it poor leadership for a batter after hitting a HR to look to the sky and thank God for that hit? After all, the player should be thanking himself for his skills, his coaches, conditioning coach, and Spring training for his success since that is what a good team leader should do.

Why the need to bash a Red sox player like this. If a Yankee player said the same thing about God, karma, a higher being, or good/ bad fortune, would you be questioning his leadership? You are stirring the pot.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?:
    [QUOTE]  I cringe often when reading comments from Adrian as they occasionally come across as "don't question us" or "I know best" mentality.  Last year, I did care, call me a naive fan, but I did hope he was going to win the homr run contest, it is why i kept watching.  At the conclusion, his comment "no big deal" while correct, still made me question why be a fan.  His latest comment as to ya gotta eat something "if not chicken it would be steak" makes me feel even angrier about losing Tito.   DeValentine is a great hire.  I just wondered if those type of comments irritate others as much as they do me?
    Posted by RedSoxNation4Ever[/QUOTE]

Adrian isn't an issue unless you want to harp on lack of foot speed.  Sox fand haven't seen what this guy is capable of yet so enjoy and leave him be.  If he Papi and Youk can all have good seasons it will be a lot of fun to watch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The way that the Sox lost their last game and TB won their last game can easily have you scratching your head and thinking about

Bad Karma
    It wasn't meant to be
    It wasn't in the cards
    Such thoughts ran through the minds of many in RSN
    And probably through the minds of many Red Sox players

For a player to state such feelings
    Has nothing at all to do about leadership

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My fear with Adrian is that he might just have a little "JD Drew" to him.  At times JD came across as downright apathetic and while I'm not saying Agone is at that level, some of his comments border on what I would call "not getting it".  The "too many Sunday Night games" comment to me was inexcusable and it speaks to the JD Drew streak I'm talking about.  I don't question Agone's professionalism or effort but like JD, he presents with a certain amount of indifference, which can come off like he doesn't care "enough" about W's and L's, and that doesn't usually play well in Boston, where fans want their athletes to care as much as they do.  I'm not saying Adrian doesn't but at times he looks to me like a guy going about his job more than a guy in heated competition. 

As far as his religion, I vote a firm "Who cares".  I'm sure if there is a god he votes the same when it comes to professional sports, I seriously doubt god would have a greater plan for a child's game being played by adult millionaires.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]My fear with Adrian is that he might just have a little "JD Drew" to him.  At times JD came across as downright apathetic and while I'm not saying Agone is at that level, some of his comments border on what I would call "not getting it".  The "too many Sunday Night games" comment to me was inexcusable and it speaks to the JD Drew streak I'm talking about.  I don't question Agone's professionalism or effort but like JD, he presents with a certain amount of indifference, which can come off like he doesn't care "enough" about W's and L's, and that doesn't usually play well in Boston, where fans want their athletes to care as much as they do.  I'm not saying Adrian doesn't but at times he looks to me like a guy going about his job more than a guy in heated competition.  As far as his religion, I vote a firm "Who cares".  I'm sure if there is a god he votes the same when it comes to professional sports, I seriously doubt god would have a greater plan for a child's game being played by adult millionaires.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I see it differently with Gonzalez.  Surely, a comparison can be made between JD and Adrian in regard to there low-profile personalities and low-key energy.  But, I think with Adrian, he just a soft-spoken conservative spirit.  He doesn't want to ever rock the boat.  That is different than nonchallance i think.  His interview always seem awkward because of this.  Like, he has trouble even being smooth with the stock pat lines.  And, when he says anything he hasn't said before, he comes out with hilariously awkward things like that "whether its chicken or steak" comment.  I think he sees his duty as to not rock the boat.  But, you look at this guys work ethic and consistency and the fact that he played last year, without one complaint or even reference to, with residual shoulder pain from surgery which may have significantly affected his hitting, and you get a very different picture than that of one who doesn't care.