Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?:
    In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Understood and I don't really think agon is to blame, but passing the buck and saying it wasn't in god's plans doesn't hold much water IMO. Either say nothing or lay the blame squarely where it is deserved.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969

If he says nothing, some will blame him for saying nothing.

If he blames Pedroia, the pedroia fans will blame him for blaming the wrong person.

If he says 'so-and-so' shouldn't have talked out of turn, he'll be blamed for that.

You weren't going to like his response no matter what he said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Understood and I don't really think agon is to blame, but passing the buck and saying it wasn't in god's plans doesn't hold much water IMO. Either say nothing or lay the blame squarely where it is deserved.
    Posted by TBSHBT1969

IMO, saying that it wasn't in God's plans isn't passing the buck.  Again, I'm only guessing, but I suspect that Adrian feels that there is a reason why it wasn't in God's plan, and that reason falls on the shoulders of the team.

Anyway, enough about that.  

Sorry to hear about your father.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : True, but, this speaks to the quality of our venerable board.  The mighty yankees don't even have a passable board.  So, they flock over here. Posted by SpacemanEephus

I take the Yankees fans being on a Red Sox board as a compliment.   As I've said before, they either spend all their time with their own kind, or they spend time with us wonderful Red Sox fans.  Who can blame them for being here?  IMO, it's a no brainer!   ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think sometimes there is a tendency to disect every little thing that is said or done way too much. We need to lighten up a bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : IMO, saying that it wasn't in God's plans isn't passing the buck.  Again, I'm only guessing, but I suspect that Adrian feels that there is a reason why it wasn't in God's plan, and that reason falls on the shoulders of the team. Anyway, enough about that.   Sorry to hear about your father.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Thanks Kimmi.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : If he says nothing, some will blame him for saying nothing. If he blames Pedroia, the pedroia fans will blame him for blaming the wrong person. If he says 'so-and-so' shouldn't have talked out of turn, he'll be blamed for that. You weren't going to like his response no matter what he said.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Nope, some guys, take Jeter for example, just have a knack for saying the right thing, while others, like Arod, just seem to say the wrong thing. Look at how john henry is trying to backpedal once again. Some guys have it, some don't.

I think Abe Lincoln said it best, 

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Nope, some guys, take Jeter for example, just have a knack for saying the right thing, while others, like Arod, just seem to say the wrong thing. Look at how john henry is trying to backpedal once again. Some guys have it, some don't. I think Abe Lincoln said it best,  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    Posted by TBSHBT1969

First you said he should shoulder the blame, now you're implying that it was better that he remain silent, and now bringing Henry and Jeter and Arod into it.

The reason why you're striking out so much is that you can't keep your feet still.  You're all over the map on this one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

"Lighten up"?!? Exactly what's that supposed to mean there buddy??? :-p 

Just kidding! I couldn't agree with ya comment more. We get enough of that word parsing nonsense from our political "leaders", who pounce on each others every miss statement as if a puppy were just slaughtered. Good advice there dgalehouse!

I think sometimes there is a tendency to disect every little thing that is said or done way too much. We need to lighten up a bit.
    Posted by dgalehouse

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What really bothers me about Adrian's comments is that he just assumes everyone has to eat chicken or steak.  What about tofu?  Fish?  Seitan?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBSHBT1969. Show TBSHBT1969's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : First you said he should shoulder the blame, now you're implying that it was better that he remain silent, and now bringing Henry and Jeter and Arod into it. The reason why you're striking out so much is that you can't keep your feet still.  You're all over the map on this one.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Once again you display that reading comprehension is not your strong suit (not that we are really sure that you have one). Try reading this again and I will type it really slow so maybe you can follow along.

First: 2/20/2012
    Last: 2/22/2012
    In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You?:
    In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Not really agreeing with this.  A leader finds out where the problem is.  He takes the blame if it is his to take.  Saying 'it's my fault' takes away attention from those whose fault it might be.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Understood and I don't really think agon is to blame, but passing the buck and saying it wasn't in god's plans doesn't hold much water IMO. Either say nothing or lay the blame squarely where it is deserved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

The way that the Sox lost their last game and TB won their last game can easily have you scratching your head and thinking about Bad Karma It wasn't meant to be It wasn't in the cards Such thoughts ran through the minds of many in RSN And probably through the minds of many Red Sox players For a player to state such feelings Has nothing at all to do about leadership
    Posted by lowelll

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

seriously?  this thread has 6 pages of responses???!!!
    disappointing....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I am more concerned with what he does between the white lines than what he says when somebody shoves a mike in his face and asks him what went wrong.  I like that he says what he feels and not what everyone wants to hear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

I am more concerned with what he does between the white lines than what he says when somebody shoves a mike in his face and asks him what went wrong.  I like that he says what he feels and not what everyone wants to hear.
    Posted by traven

Good for you. Now you know that the forum this winter wasted hours of everyone's time wondering why Valentine couldn't contact Crawford. It turns out that Crawford kept changing his phone #. Once they talked to each other, Crawford admitted that Valentine was correct about his horrible batting stance. Once again the forum was much ado about nothing - fed by the trolls. Every fan and Beckett also knew how slow Beckett was between pitches. Once again - much ado about nothing. We were fortunate that Babe wasn't here over the winter to troll about that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Adrian is (seems to me) a nice guy who simply answers questions with some naivety, which is a big reason I like him. He appears to be honest and sincere. For that the media wants to twist his words or make fun of him.

Why we (the media and some fans) want to make it difficult on one of the good guys and one who produces is beyond me.  If you want a target the team has a couple of jeks and a couple of non-producers that are better options, if you want to spit venom.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Adrian is (seems to me) a nice guy who simply answers questions with some naivety, which is a big reason I like him. He appears to be honest and sincere. For that the media wants to twist his words or make fun of him. Why we (the media and some fans) want to make it difficult on one of the good guys and one who produces is beyond me.  If you want a target the team has a couple of jeks and a couple of non-producers that are better options if you want to spit venom.
    Posted by BurritoT
    spot on Rito'...plus i don't think the beat guys in SD ever really got after the players...the Boston beaters are obviously going to dig harder and micromanage your answers..it's a shame that it'll probably make an open guy like AG more guarded....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Adrian is (seems to me) a nice guy who simply answers questions with some naivety, which is a big reason I like him. He appears to be honest and sincere. For that the media wants to twist his words or make fun of him. Why we (the media and some fans) want to make it difficult on one of the good guys and one who produces is beyond me.  If you want a target the team has a couple of jeks and a couple of non-producers that are better options if you want to spit venom.
    Posted by BurritoT

Very good post Burrito!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : IMO, saying that it wasn't in God's plans isn't passing the buck.  Again, I'm only guessing, but I suspect that Adrian feels that there is a reason why it wasn't in God's plan, and that reason falls on the shoulders of the team. Anyway, enough about that.   Sorry to hear about your father.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

If there is a God, I think he/she has better things to concerns themselves with than the Red Sox play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : If there is a God, I think he/she has better things to concerns themselves with than the Red Sox play.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yeah, no doubt Jess, like Tim Tebow's play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

No problem here with AGon's comments.  Agree with poster(s) who recognize he is a quiet, low key guy who isn't comfortable talking with media.  He simply doesn't articulate his thoughts very well and these days, every single word or turn of phrase is overly scrutinized.  What I picked up on as the most important thing was that he was not defensive about Valentine's opinion that he might need to change his stance at the plate.  Gotta like a high paid pro athlete willing to put ego aside and consider that maybe Valentine's opinion has merit.  The more we see and hear of the daily goings on in ST, the more I like the prospects for 2012.  Everybody seems motivated and focused to prove their worth as a team.

One last comment...about the food and beverages in the clubhouse during games...these guys burn calories and I have no problem with any sort of food fare being available...as for beverages, seems to me there should be plenty of options that address hydration, electrolytes, etc., but see no reason for alcoholic beverages until the last out.  Just because it isn't "your night to pitch" does not mean that you may not be needed. We've all seen plenty of marathon games that had to utilize every warm body at some point..we've seen off-day starters be called in to pitch in some crazy 14th or 15th inning....so the excuse that it is an "off day for a starter" doesn't hold water for me. If you can't make it through a ballgame without alcohol, you need to question why that is. Furthermore, sounds like a lot of people think alcohol is readily available during games for every MLB team. That is not so. Don't have the statistics to post a link, but a lot of teams do not alcohol in clubhouse during games. Why would any mgr think it is still okay this day and time to allow players to drink something that dulls the senses, slows reaction time and makes them feel bloated. Party till the cows come home after the game...but have enough respect for your team and yourself to abstain during the game. These guys are paid millions to be responsible and professional and drinking during the game is neither responsible nor professional.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

No problem here with AGon's comments.  Agree with poster(s) who recognize he is a quiet, low key guy who isn't comfortable talking with media.  He simply doesn't articulate his thoughts very well and these days, every single word or turn of phrase is overly scrutinized.  What I picked up on as the most important thing was that he was not defensive about Valentine's opinion that he might need to change his stance at the plate.  Gotta like a high paid pro athlete willing to put ego aside and consider that maybe Valentine's opinion has merit.  The more we see and hear of the daily goings on in ST, the more I like the prospects for 2012.  Everybody seems motivated and focused to prove their worth as a team. One last comment...about the food and beverages in the clubhouse during games...these guys burn calories and I have no problem with any sort of food fare being available...as for beverages, seems to me there should be plenty of options that address hydration, electrolytes, etc., but see no reason for alcoholic beverages until the last out.  Just because it isn't "your night to pitch" does not mean that you may not be needed. We've all seen plenty of marathon games that had to utilize every warm body at some point..we've seen off-day starters be called in to pitch in some crazy 14th or 15th inning....so the excuse that it is an "off day for a starter" doesn't hold water for me. If you can't make it through a ballgame without alcohol, you need to question why that is. Furthermore, sounds like a lot of people think alcohol is readily available during games for every MLB team. That is not so. Don't have the statistics to post a link, but a lot of teams do not alcohol in clubhouse during games. Why would any mgr think it is still okay this day and time to allow players to drink something that dulls the senses, slows reaction time and makes them feel bloated. Party till the cows come home after the game...but have enough respect for your team and yourself to abstain during the game. These guys are paid millions to be responsible and professional and drinking during the game is neither responsible nor professional.
    Posted by michaelsjr

Great post Michael and I agree with all of it. Welcome aboard. There is a problem in this forum however with how a few posters have taken this beer and chicken issue and magnified it one hundred times. In fact, they have gone as far as to blame the Sept. collapse on it. They fail to address the fact ( many players concur) that the on the field performance of twenty players was the cause for the collapse. The perceived lack of leadership by players carries no merit for causing the huge collapse. Of course, in an Internet forum you will find a certain percentage of posters who enjoy playing the devil's advocate, contrarian, and 24 / 7 house pessimist. That is to be expected. Many posters place those types onto their ignore list.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Sorry, I think that's a complete load. I've done lots of backpacking, swimming, team softball, etc. and especially in mountain backpacking I haven't had a between innings bench sitting break. There is no waiting for the next pitch or waiting for a ball to be hit to you. Not everyone is the pitcher or catcher involved in every pitch. The need for nourishment during the game does not extend beyond maybe a chocolate bar or energy bar if that. A catered clubhouse is just plain B.S. What other sport requires this? It's nothing more than reinforcing the baseball players as prima dona belief. Total hogwash. As is said in many sports--suck it up.
    Posted by Flattiehater

Au contraire, when I swim or backpack, I always have to eat chicken or steak.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In Response to Re: Do Adrian's Comments Bother Anyone of You? : Sorry, I think that's a complete load. I've done lots of backpacking, swimming, team softball, etc. and especially in mountain backpacking I haven't had a between innings bench sitting break. There is no waiting for the next pitch or waiting for a ball to be hit to you. Not everyone is the pitcher or catcher involved in every pitch. The need for nourishment during the game does not extend beyond maybe a chocolate bar or energy bar if that. A catered clubhouse is just plain B.S. What other sport requires this? It's nothing more than reinforcing the baseball players as prima dona belief. Total hogwash. As is said in many sports--suck it up.
    Posted by Flattiehater

No arguement there for your particular scenario...guess my point was that I can see offering a variety of snacks, foods for that many guys with varying needs as far as calories or tastes...easy for you as a single person to know what you will or will not want or need during your strenuous activities...but a large group needs a bit more latitude and variety just to cover all the bases...it certainly would not be a bad idea for whoever orders up the food to do so in a way that offers plenty of variety prepared in a health conscious sort of way. my comment was more about the ridiculous notion that alcoholic beverages should be available during games. that is just nonsense.

Sections
Shortcuts