Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?

Are you concerned with any position(s) the way this team is currently constructed?  When I say "concerned", I mean like "needs to be addressed or it could lead to this teams' downfall".

The only thing that was anywhere close to this was the catching situation.  I expect Salty to now continue to emerge as one of the better catchers in the AL.  Now for the rest of the team.

Rotation:  Beckett/Lester/Buchholz are the best 1-3 hands down in the AL right now.  Only the Phillies have a better 3.  The back end of the rotation is somewhat concerning but not really.  I expect Lackey to come back and at least pitch like a 4 or 5 which is something that the Sox can only hope for at this point.  Aceves is emerging as a candidate for the #5 spot and worse case it's Wakefield or Doubront.  Not a bad way to round out the group.  Talk to me if there's an injury to one of the top three.

The lineup is the best in MLB.  The one position to be concerned about is RF because it's the only position keeping this lineup from being virtually impossible to stop.  I'd be very interested to see if JD Drew gets demoted to the short end of the platoon and the Sox either find a guy like Jeff Francoeur to bring in or try their luck with a guy like Reddick or Kalish (if healthy).  Either way, it's not hard to improve at that position and seeing as how it's the only weakness right now in that lineup... I think the Sox will live.

2010- the weakness was 3-5 in the rotation, lineup depth due to injury
    2009- the weakness was catcher, SS
    2008- the weakness was the rotation in general, hitting from the 7-9 holes
    2007- 3-5 in the rotation, SS... They still got hot and won the WS but they were not the best team going into the playoffs that year.
    etc. etc. etc.

I just don't see any major concerns with this 2011 Boston Red Sox team.  Do you agree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?

Jenks and Bard need to regain their mojo to solidify the bullpen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The construction looks excellent at this point.  Kudos again to Mr. Epstein and the brass.  The only concern is continued good health. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I didn't mention bullpen either.  Bard is somewhat concerning but Papelbon appears to be back, Hill and Albers are having great seasons thus far... Jenks can only be a plus when he returns and even Atchinson turns up good innings.  Not a great bullpen but a good bullpen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

The depth of the starting staff is cause for concern. Sox really need Lackey back and chewing up innings and keeping Sox in games. If Sox get Lackey back and he can throw at about a 4.50 clip they should be good to go the rest of the way. They can fill the # 5 slot but having to fill the #4 and 5 slot could be dicey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Pen, Pen, Pen...
    2) Depending on Wake and Aceves all year as starters. Needing just one to do OK is one thing: needing both is probably too much to ask.
    3) RF (Reddick has not proven to be ML caliber...yet.)
    4) Catcher (on a good streak, but still a concern)
    5) Manager's stuck inside old paradigms.
    6) Possible budget issue come July trade deadline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I agree, Sox need to spare the bullpen ... they are rackin up too many hours.   Lackey will be back, and he is an innings eater.  With the offense clicking they should be in every game, even if the starters are not at their best.   Fun to watch now, huh?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

None but we all watched the season melt away last year because of injuries to key players.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?:
    [QUOTE]Are you concerned with any position(s) the way this team is currently constructed? ... Rotation:  Beckett/Lester/Buchholz are the best 1-3 hands down in the AL right now.  Only the Phillies have a better 3.
    Do you agree?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    Hands down?

By some measures, the Seattle Mariners have a better 1-2-3 in Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda (or Doug Fister or Jason Vargas); the Detroit Tigers in Justin Verlander, Phil Coke and Max Scherzer; the Los Angeles Angels in Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana; or even the Tampa Bay Rays with David Price, James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson.

Here are the WAR* rankings for AL starters this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

... and for May alone:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=5&season1=2011&ind=0

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season? : Hands down? By some measures, the Seattle Mariners have a better 1-2-3 in Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda (or Doug Fister or Jason Vargas); the Detroit Tigers in Justin Verlander, Phil Coke and Max Scherzer; the Los Angeles Angels in Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana; or even the Tampa Bay Rays with David Price, James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson. Here are the WAR* rankings for AL starters this season: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 ... and for May alone: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=5&season1=2011&ind=0 * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

C'mon hill. You have been here long enough to know that mongo the fanboy doesn't see facts through his red flops colored glasses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

We are probably pretty well into the other side of the panic - euphoria continuum. It tends to make the darkness seem absolute and the light becomes blinding. (look at Drew Sutton's OPS, then pinch yourself if you think that is real). 28 runs in two games while allowing 3? It is no more reality than the 2-10 start was. 

If one of the weaknesses of the 2007 RS was their SS, while the issues are different so it is again in 2011. Where the problem in 2007 was offense, in 2011 it will be defense. Not errors just a general lack of range.

Catcher has the potential to become an issue and no not CERA which is a nice way to say we'd have pitching issues but depth and offensive production. Our back-up is too old to start the vast majority of the games so Salty being able to suit up and no be awful will be a key.

Bullpens are always a concern because they are so day-to-day as guys health can erode quite quickly. Often they don't go on the DL they just go south like MannyD and Ramon Ramirez did last year.

The RS absolutely can not afford to lose another starting pitcher and need to get Lackey back.

Personally I am not too worried about RF. Drew will have his spurt like he always does, he will get on base if he has a bad year 35% of the time and where he will be in the line-up keeping the line moving will be enough, he isn't needed to put up 20 HR and 85 RBI.

In addition to Moon's concern about the budget come deadline, the other issue will be just what the market will have, what those that have it will require to trade it and if it lines up to the RS needs. Conventional wisdom is that you put together a team and play for 3 months and then adjust before the deadline but the market regardless of a team's will does not always allow this to work.

Lat thought about the OP. The 2007 RS were the best team in the tournament that year. Not just because of their eventual win, they simply had a deeper starting staff, a money #1 starter, a money #2 in his twilight, a nasty 1-2 punch coming out of the BP and a thunder packed line-up. Relative to the league that year they were the best and it reflected in their seeding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The sox are 4+mil lower in payroll this year than last..If they need someone come the deadline, i think they can get it done without going over the threshold of 178mil(?)..No concerns with the bullpen..they got lots of depth there. If Aceves can keep pitching the way he has and Lackey can at least give us 6-7 innings and a 4.5 era, we'll be ok. I think Theo & Co have done an incredible job constructing this team..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Money will be the last thing preventing the Sox from doing a deadline deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

The concern in the bullpen is with overreliance on Bard and Papelbon.  It would be nice if Jenks got it together or if Lackey and Wakefield pitch with any consistency so that the Sox could bolster their pen with Aceves.  If any of these things happen, assuming the big three (Beckett, Lester, and Buch), Bard, and Paps stay healthy, the minor flaws in the lineup are of little concern. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?:
    [QUOTE]Are you concerned with any position(s) the way this team is currently constructed?  When I say "concerned", I mean like "needs to be addressed or it could lead to this teams' downfall". The only thing that was anywhere close to this was the catching situation.  I expect Salty to now continue to emerge as one of the better catchers in the AL.  Now for the rest of the team. Rotation:  Beckett/Lester/Buchholz are the best 1-3 hands down in the AL right now.  Only the Phillies have a better 3.  The back end of the rotation is somewhat concerning but not really.  I expect Lackey to come back and at least pitch like a 4 or 5 which is something that the Sox can only hope for at this point.  Aceves is emerging as a candidate for the #5 spot and worse case it's Wakefield or Doubront.  Not a bad way to round out the group.  Talk to me if there's an injury to one of the top three. The lineup is the best in MLB.  The one position to be concerned about is RF because it's the only position keeping this lineup from being virtually impossible to stop.  I'd be very interested to see if JD Drew gets demoted to the short end of the platoon and the Sox either find a guy like Jeff Francoeur to bring in or try their luck with a guy like Reddick or Kalish (if healthy).  Either way, it's not hard to improve at that position and seeing as how it's the only weakness right now in that lineup... I think the Sox will live. 2010- the weakness was 3-5 in the rotation, lineup depth due to injury 2009- the weakness was catcher, SS 2008- the weakness was the rotation in general, hitting from the 7-9 holes 2007- 3-5 in the rotation, SS... They still got hot and won the WS but they were not the best team going into the playoffs that year. etc. etc. etc. I just don't see any major concerns with this 2011 Boston Red Sox team.  Do you agree?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Though the Sox are hitting now, I still think that they are vunerable to left-handed pitching. They might consider adding a power right-handed bat in July or August, who can platoon with JD Drew in RF...and/or with Papi at DH.

Pitching is always a concern. But, as long as Josh Beckert stays healthy, and continues to pitch like a true #1 starter, I like their chances.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season?:
    [QUOTE]1) Pen, Pen, Pen... 2) Depending on Wake and Aceves all year as starters. Needing just one to do OK is one thing: needing both is probably too much to ask. 3) RF (Reddick has not proven to be ML caliber...yet.) 4) Catcher (on a good streak, but still a concern) 5) Manager's stuck inside old paradigms. 6) Possible budget issue come July trade deadline.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Point number 2 can be solved by alternating every 2 starts between Aceves and Wake, points Nos.4 and 6 im no so worried about the budget the main thing we need is a good role player to come off our bench possibly a Catcher and a Super Utility guy who can play Most infield and outfield positions the whole Salty/Tek platoon is very worrisome I'll go back to my Benjie Molina idea and raise you a Martin Prado? if Atlanta is out of it with their deep Farm System they could move him

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season? : Point number 2 can be solved by alternating every 2 starts between Aceves and Wake, points Nos.4 and 6 im no so worried about the budget the main thing we need is a good role player to come off our bench possibly a Catcher and a Super Utility guy who can play all infield and outfield positions the whole Salty/Tek platoon is very worrisome I'll go back to my Benjie Molina idea and raise you a Martin Prado? if Atlanta is out of it with their deep Farm System they could move him

Posted by bbenton87[/QUOTE]

Yup, you find them in aisle 3 halfway down on the left side, top shelf at Shaw's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season? : Point number 2 can be solved by alternating every 2 starts between Aceves and Wake, points Nos.4 and 6 im no so worried about the budget the main thing we need is a good role player to come off our bench possibly a Catcher and a Super Utility guy who can play Most infield and outfield positions the whole Salty/Tek platoon is very worrisome I'll go back to my Benjie Molina idea and raise you a Martin Prado? if Atlanta is out of it with their deep Farm System they could move him

do you really think its a good idea to alternate starters? i would think that would just mess with their regular routine.
    I think the salty/Tek project is starting to turn out good from where Im sitting. But if something did go wrong I dont think Molina is that much better of a solution. I know you love the sox and Im with you..I just dont think there is a real concern right now that would suggest a trade or aquisition be needed..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Pig-pen...Jenks...

Sox going on another losing streak...

Lackey...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season? : do you really think its a good idea to alternate starters? i would think that would just mess with their regular routine. I think the salty/Tek project is starting to turn out good from where Im sitting. But if something did go wrong I dont think Molina is that much better of a solution. I know you love the sox and Im with you..I just dont think there is a real concern right now that would suggest a trade or aquisition be needed..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do the Red Sox have any serious concerns to this point of the season? : Hands down? By some measures, the Seattle Mariners have a better 1-2-3 in Felix Hernandez, Erik Bedard and Michael Pineda (or Doug Fister or Jason Vargas); the Detroit Tigers in Justin Verlander, Phil Coke and Max Scherzer; the Los Angeles Angels in Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana; or even the Tampa Bay Rays with David Price, James Shields and Jeremy Hellickson. Here are the WAR* rankings for AL starters this season: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0 ... and for May alone: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=5&season1=2011&ind=0 * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of using metrics and adjusted statistics to judge the real value and performance of players, but the fact that Phil Coke has a hair better WAR this year than Jon Lester tells me everything I need to know about why I've never trusted WAR as a metric.

I've always believed that WAR is built on a number of fundamentally flawed assumptions, which can lead to the kind of wonky result as "Coke has contributed more towards wins than Lester". Pretty silly...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

My concern is overusing Aceves maybe not alternating starts but atleast giving him a few starts over the next few months if I am not mistaken he is first time Arb eligible for '12 and hand him the 5th starter role next year full time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bullpen.  Papelbon has been good, but not as good as his first three years.  Hill has been terrific, but I don't think Francona can make him the key setup guy.  And the other five--including those some of them replaced--have been erratic, including Bard. 

What is this stuff from moonslav about Francona being in old paradigms?   

Lineup looks awfully good if the real CC is emerging and Pedroia's foot doesn't ruin his season.  Catchers are hitting, and having Salty and Tek alternate, with Salty doing 3 to Tek's 2, is working great.    Drew, even in a bad year like now, is still adequate, and I'm hoping Reddick stays, hits, and takes more of his starts.  

I think the most serious concern isn't the bullpen, but the possibility of injuries to anyone of four guys--Lester, Buchholz, Lester, and AGon.  Injuries killed us last year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]My concern is overusing Aceves maybe not alternating starts but atleast giving him a few starts over the next few months if I am not mistaken he is first time Arb eligible for '12 and hand him the 5th starter role next year full time.

Im with you on that. I think you give him the #5 job and if he can have the same success, you stay with him..Good thing is is Aceves doesnt have a ton of mileage on that arm and was stretched out this spring and in AAA. If Wake should get the job, i would say the same. Aceves IS arb1 next year..What a steal he could turn out to be..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

to soxmeister   Lackey is an innings eater?? In what world, four years ago? He is killing the pen with his early exits, and has not been healthy for several years. He is an albatross of a contract!

Sections
Shortcuts