Do the Red Sox still have a spot for Jason Varitek?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Do the Red Sox still have a spot for Jason Varitek?

Sure, if he could play Leftfield and accept the min. wage

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Great thread, I really hope it goes somewheres.... as in away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

As a well compensated bullpen catcher or minor league coach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS A COACH !!!!         HANGING AROUND IS AN AWFUL THING......  JUST AS MOST OF OUR BOARD PEOPLE DIDN'T KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP T-BALL !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Sure, under the bus. Where all RS players are deposited by fans that no longer want them, regardless of what they have meant to the team in the past.
    I am not a Varitek fan but he, and guys like Wake, Lowell and Papi, are responsible for the two WS that the have, and should be treated with some respect.
    By far, the RS fan base is the best example of the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Respect doesn't mean wasting roster spots.  We don't need a 3rd catcher (Tek), or a starter with an ERA over 5.00 (Wake).  They have done so much for this organization, and I will always love them, but it's time for them to retire. Hopefully we will see them in the Red Sox Hall of Fame.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Red Sox still have a spot for Jason Varitek?:
    [QUOTE]Sure, under the bus. Where all RS players are deposited by fans that no longer want them, regardless of what they have meant to the team in the past. I am not a Varitek fan but he, and guys like Wake, Lowell and Papi, are responsible for the two WS that the have, and should be treated with some respect. By far, the RS fan base is the best example of the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]  ALBI.......  AS DAD WOULD SAY....... "SON, NEVER HANG ON TO LONG TO YOUR HEROS, THEY WILL ONLY LET YOU DOWN IN THE END" !!!!    THE TWILIGHT IS A BEAUTIFUL THING, ONLY WHEN YOUR LOOKING WEST WITH A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN ONE HAND, AND A BOTTLE OF WINE IN THE OTHER !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I personally think it's to bad when players just won't come to grips with reality.  These 2 have meant a great deal to the RS and I for 1 am very gratefull as a long time fan who like many ever thought we would see a ring. Time to go, not getting kicked on the way out but the door should be held open for them.  Tek would be a great coach in the RS system but I don't think his ego lets him at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

What? why?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

with Salty and signing Kelly Shoppick, you'd think not, but Boston Comcast sports.net reported "the Sox have not closed the door on bring Veritek back." 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Both Varitek and Wakefield will be back and show the soft spot Lucchino has in his heart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Even if Tek accepts coaching job, it's going to be minor league coaching and I don't think Tek will accept minor coaching job where he can get backup player contract from other teams.  I think Ben is trying to sign Tek as backup catcher for Shoppach which leaves Salty as a very good trade chip for a 3-4 starter.  And Lava will get more experience in minor and ready to take starting job in 2013. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

[QUOTE]Even if Tek accepts coaching job, it's going to be minor league coaching and I don't think Tek will accept minor coaching job where he can get backup player contract from other teams.  I think Ben is trying to sign Tek as backup catcher for Shoppach which leaves Salty as a very good trade chip for a 3-4 starter.  And Lava will get more experience in minor and ready to take starting job in 2013. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE

Tek and Wake made their money from the sox time to let someone else eat also. Concerning the possibility of trading Salty I hope the Red Sox exercise patience. Salty has raw power the only flow is he misses the ball alot. It was his first year he needs more bp. Defensively he was like a cat very quick for a big man. Its also comforting to know hitters will think twice about going to the mound after a Sox pitcher with big salty back there. leave Salty alone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Tek hasn't received any offers from other teams yet to my knowledge.  Having an aged, slow moving catcher that can't throw anybody out is not an ideal signing for anybody.   Tek needs to wind it down and get his head into coaching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Propaganda from Varitek's agent. Red Sox have zero interest in Varitek on the active roster, like virtually all of MLB. Varitek is a tryout for backup minor league contract type of player who disrespects the game by trying to get another FA gift contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Softy, the statement I quoted was from the Red Sox, not Tek's agent

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Statement from Red Sox is not in an active roster spot capacity:

"some capacity"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Statement from Red Sox is not in an active roster spot capacity: "some capacity"
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

some doesn't = not as an active roster spot.  comcastsports report just quoted what I did, without elaborating on it. I hope you're right, but when it comes to Veritek and Wake, you never know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

tek and wake dont deserve a spot on this roster...no other way to say it... surprising i know since wake will win 15 games and Tek's CERA is so amazing...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Signing Shoppach and retaining Salty and having Lavarnway called up and likely in 2012 plans makes it clear that "some capacity" is not an opening day active roster spot capacity. Translation, minor league contract at best, which will likely lead Varitek to be some other team's problem and cost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Sure, under the bus. Where all RS players are deposited by fans that no longer want them, regardless of what they have meant to the team in the past. I am not a Varitek fan but he, and guys like Wake, Lowell and Papi, are responsible for the two WS that the have, and should be treated with some respect. By far, the RS fan base is the best example of the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

What does respect mean? Keep paying them a salary until they decide to retire? Please.

If he was a worthwhile commodity, why aren't the other 29 teams knocking on his door.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Id like to see him back but not as a player, his playing days are done and he should know when to leave the game on his own terms.  He is one of the greatest catchers the RS have ever had and should be remembered so.

He should come back as a coach or an instructor during spring training or in the minors.  I just dont see him being with the big club as a coach with Gary Tuck already there as a catching instructor and bullpen coach.

24. This post has been removed.