Do the Sox Haven Enough HR Power?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Do the Sox Haven Enough HR Power?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Gomes, Naps, Ortiz (if healthy) Salty and Middlebrooks should all be plus 20.

Ells, Victorino, Pedey should all be 10 to 15, if Drew is healthy he should be too.

I don't see power being a big problem for this team

Ortiz isn't healthy, but I project him to be 20 to 25, with a plus or minus of 3.

I do see lack of power being a big problme for this team, in the title contending context. They should contend for a WC spot, though.

Drew isn't healthy, and my projection for him is 8 to 13HR with a plus or minus margin of error of 3.

The Giants hit 103 HR last year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ells, Victorino, Pedey should all be 10 to 15, if Drew is healthy he should be too.

Ortiz isn't healthy, but I project him to be 20 to 25, with a plus or minus of 3.

I do see lack of power being a big problme for this team, in the title contending context. They should contend for a WC spot, though.

Drew isn't healthy, and my projection for him is 8 to 13HR with a plus or minus margin of error of 3.

The Sox hit 167 HRs in 2007. Ortiz had 35 home runs and no one else had more than 21. In fact, the Sox had just six players in double figures in home runs and just three with 20 or more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The Sox hit 167 HRs in 2007. Ortiz had 35 home runs and no one else had more than 21. In fact, the Sox had just six players in double figures in home runs and just three with 20 or more.

the 2007 sox and 2012 Giants also had fantastic pitching staffs to lean on (especially in the post season). So far our 2013 staff is looking good but it's wishful thinking to expect them to apporach top calibur numbers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

the 2007 sox and 2012 Giants also had fantastic pitching staffs to lean on (especially in the post season). So far our 2013 staff is looking good but it's wishful thinking to expect them to apporach top calibur numbers.

On the other hand, it might not be as far-fetched as you might think. Yes, the Sox pitching hasn't been good in recent years, but that doesn't mean it's never going to get better. So let's look at 2007.

Beckett: 20-7, 3.27 ERA. Lester could match that if what he's shown in the spring is real. He's twice had ERAs in the 3.2s.

DiceK: 15-12, 4.40 ERA. Buchholz certainly is capable of being 15-12 with a lower ERA. All he has to do is pitch like he did after his first six starts last year 3.68 ERA (something like that) and his ERA will be lower than DiceK's. Again, Buchholz has pitched better than 3.68 so it's not like we're asking for a career year.

Wakefield 17-12, 4.76 ERA. Dempster certainly could have an ERA lower than that, maybe around 4.40.

Curt Schilling 9-8, 3.87 ERA. (Lackey? Why not?) Or put it his way Dempster and Lackey could combine for what Wake and Schilling did -- 26-20 with a 4.25 ERA.

Julian Tavarez 7-11, 5.15: Felix?

Lester: 4-0, 4.57 ERA. Alex Webster?

2007 had a 3.87 ERA, which was helped a lot by the bullpen, which is supposedly a strength this year. So who knows?

Of course, even w/o hitting more home runs, the 2007 lineup had better hitters top to bottom and scored a lot of runs. Still ... it's interesting to look at the numbers and compare.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

156+  homeruns would work out pretty well, and concur with those numbers.  I think that, or perhaps even closer to 2007 power numbers, could make this team a real contender. 

No way do the Sox finish last in the AL East, as the majority of the baseball writers are projecting.  Perhaps more than anything, this adds to my passion for this year's team.  Admittedly, I really liked this team before these predictions, but this will be the frosting on the cake for me when the Sox finish in 2nd place with 88 - 90 wins.

Again....

Lester with 18+  Buch 17+   Doubie 13ish  Lackey with 10+  Demp with 10+ = 68 - 70

BP  with 18 - 20

86 - 90 wins   Avg.  88 wins  :)

If I keep at this long enough I might get up to 95 wins  :)

I really think this is going to be a fun year, with great guys to root for!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm going to do my projections soon, but off the top of my head...

C  25-30

1B 22-27

2B 20-25

3B 15-25

SS  2-15 (Iggy or Drew?)

LF 15-20

CF 15-25

RF 10-15

DH 15-25

Total: 165-185

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm going to do my projections soon, but off the top of my head...

C  25-30

1B 22-27

2B 20-25

3B 15-25

SS  2-15 (Iggy or Drew?)

LF 15-20

CF 15-25

RF 10-15

DH 15-25

Total: 165-185

We're in the ballpark, except that I see 20 HR as the top mark for Pedroia, and I think 25 is the minimum for Middlebrooks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox will score runs this year.  As for HR power, not as much as before. 

The 2012 SF Giants had only 103 HRs.

Sections
Shortcuts