Do the Sox Need to Look for a Shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Do the Sox Need to Look for a Shortstop?

Lowry is hurt and Scutaro is ok, I guess.  Neither is great defensively.  I think the Sox need to look for a shortstop.

I saw an article about a month ago about the Mets might be selling at the deadline.  Is Jose Reyes a possibility?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Do the Sox Need to Look for a Shortstop?

SS used to be the premier player for most teams, not anymore. Not since Nomar have the RS had anyone who was good both offensively and defensively. Most of the SS's with stellar defensive, can't hit the ball out of the infield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The  Sox  "have needed"  a  SS  since  Gonzo/Cabrera.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No.  Scutaro/Sutton are adequate, and good prospects--Navarro, Iglesias--are in the system. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

if the SOX do go looking for a SS, please leave THEO at home.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I would rather have Pedroia at SS. What say you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

i would rather have IGLESIAS at SS right now, and i don't care what he hits.
    SCUTARO is strictly back-up, and LOWRIE isn't a SS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Red Sox are the best fielding team in the AL.  Is the SS position one of their weakest positions defensively?  Yes, along with catcher and LF.  But as a team, they have the best fielding pct in the AL and the fewest number of errors.

I think the area that needs help is SP and the BP.  If I were going to make a trade, it would be for pitching.

I would not make a trade for SS when I have a very good SS in the minors that is being groomed for the majors.

The Red Sox have the best infield in the AL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I TOLD THEO, THE NEXT TIME THE  "PHENOM" COMES UP FROM 3/A, HE WILL STAY......  AT THAT POINT THE PITCHERS ERA WILL DROP 2. PER GAME !!!!!  THE OTHER BATS WILL CARRY THE TEAM !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I LIKE REYES GREAT PLAYER BUT CAN NOT SEE SOX GOING AFTER HIM, BULLPEN HELP IS NEEDED MORE THAN ANYTHING AT THIS POINT. PLUS YOU WOULD HAVE TO SIGN REYES TO A NEW CONTRACT PLUS GIVE UP MORE PROSPECTS WHICH I THINK THEY GAVE UP FOR AGONE BUT I DO LIKE REYES ALOT. PLUS WHAT DO THEY DO WITH JOSE IGGY DOWN TRIPLE AAA. I LIKE HIM BUT THEY WILL PASS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Free Iggy!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Sox Need to Look for a Shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]The  Sox  "have needed"  a  SS  since  Gonzo/Cabrera.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I was actually upset they didn't re-sign Cabrera. He just seems to make every team that he goes to better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Not sure I see the urgent need here. The Sox are first in defense, so SS can't be THAT bad. Lowrie/Scutaro are far from perfect, but are doing the job. Can't think of too many games that were lost this year because of bad SS play. The two we have now are decent hitters too. Lowrie is scuffling a little, but will end up .280 or so, and Scutaro hit .270 last year, he's solid at the plate just give him time to get moving again. Reyes would be nice, but I don't know that I'd break my back getting to him. I think the team can survive as is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]  I TOLD THEO, THE NEXT TIME THE  "PHENOM" COMES UP FROM 3/A, HE WILL STAY......  AT THAT POINT THE PITCHERS ERA WILL DROP 2. PER GAME !!!!!  THE OTHER BATS WILL CARRY THE TEAM !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE] Would that mean that when Varitek catches that the opponent will get negative runs? (j/k couldn't resist that bit of twisted humor).

On a more serious note, it is hard to say today that the MRI will show that a 15 day DL visit is required. Problem is early in the season that so many teams think they are in it still that there aren't a lot of sellers out there.

The chances are the RS could catch a little hot streak with the rested Marco, who has every reason to want to get hot and return Lowrie to a platoon situation.

Wheeler hasn't allowed a run since he was reactivated off of the DL. Tito hasn't used in him in a lot of positions where there was leverage and this probably will force that issue. The guy was very consistent for a long time prior to his signing and he may well respond well. If there is a call-up the logical is Atchison, who despite being pretty decent last year and this has been riding the 95 corridor from Pawtucket because he has options. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather have Pedroia at SS. What say you?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
    Funny I was wondering the same thing ... I'll try some reverse psychiology and say I don't think he's capable of doing it.  Srsly though, unless Lowrie ends up on the DL ( />15) I don't think we have too much of a SS problem for now.  And FWIW, I think Navarro needs to get a chance before Iggy.  Iggy clearly needs more AAA time and Navarro might actually be a better prospect long term ... even if he isn't he is more MLB ready right now AINEC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Sox have a hitting SS (Lowrie) and a defensive shortstop (Iggy). Don't trade away anything when both of these guys will be everyday major leaguers either now (Lowrie) or in the foreseeable future (Iggy).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The Sox are just bidding their time for Iglesius but the question is that the kid can field but will he hit

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I shortstops and building a bullpen are not Theo's strongpoints he consistency gets both wrongn Response to Re: Do the Sox Need to Look for a Shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]if the SOX do go looking for a SS, please leave THEO at home.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]  The Sox are just bidding their time for Iglesius but the question is that the kid can field but will he hit
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]
    Would love to have Reyes but I doubt the Mets will trade him. Also, don't know if the Sox would be able to work out an extension with him. You can't have have everything you want. Iglesias should be ready pretty soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One of my best friends is a Mets fan from NYC. He says there is a lot of talk among fans and the radio media about Reyes going to the Sox. The ideas are:

1) Win next year: Lowrie, Reddick and Doubront or Weiland
    2) Look 2-3 years down the road: Iglesias, Britton or Tejada/Coyle

I don't see it happeneing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Lowrie is an elite MLB SS, just ask Tom-uk, he'll tell ya!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Bring "The Kid" up now!! Let him bat ninth, learn the ins and outs of ML pitching and field his position like a HOFer. I don't care if he ends up at .203, his fielding will help out our staff. When and if Lowrey comes back, he can be the utility man he is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree i think if lowrie is injured which it sounds like he is, then we should call up iglesias. I dont care about him not being ready offensively. He will hit 9th. What i do care about is all the runs he will save with his defensive abilities. Lowrie is brutal in the field. scutaro is not much better. there is a reason scutaro has been a utility player for the vast majority of his career. also i just checked his AAA stats and he is hitting over .300 in his last 10 games and has 12 hits in his last 10 games. we dont need jose reyes. save those prospects for a right fielder or a starter to replace dice k. iggy is the future. he just needs a chance to prove himself. he hardly played at all when he was up with the sox, the need to give him a legit shot. its not like scutaro is anything special. he will probably not hit much better than iggy would and iggy is far better defensively. the sox need to stop babying their prospects. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Tough call here. I tend to agree that Iglesias should be brought up and just plugged in. He's not going to learn to hit ML pitching unless he faces it.

For the naysayers who don't think Pedey can handle the job, David Eckstein survived many years as a solid SS and I think Pedey is head and shoulders above him.

As far as status quo, Lowrie is the best option. Get rid of Scut and keep Sutton around as UI

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I tend to agree that Iglesias should be brought up and just plugged in. He's not going to learn to hit ML pitching unless he faces it."

So why even have minor leagues if guys don't learn to hit ML pitching until they face it??