Do the Sox need to make a trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?

First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 5/20/2012
    Maybe...

Trade:
    Youk- 12:$12M, 13:$13M club option ($1M buyout)
    Buch- 12:$3.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.245M 
    Ross- 12: $3M
    Kalish/Gomez or Ranaudo/Anderson

+$2M in cash to even out 2012 cost after deadline.

For:
    Justin Upton- 12:$6.75M, 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M
    Joe Saunders- 12: $6M (FA in 2013)

Pretty comical---be realistic--- Diamondbacks will not trade Upton--- dream on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pretty comical---be realistic--- Diamondbacks will not trade Upton--- dream on.

They tried to trade him last winter, so what do I know. 

(I do think we'd have to give more than what I offered to get him, but it could be the starting point for an offer.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

cleveland has been mentioned as a trade partner for the sox as they have an obvious need for youk and have been monitoring his minor league progress. In terms of what we could get back from cleveland for youk, what would guys think about proposing a youk for jimenez trade? perhaps we toss in a prospect or 2. We would be getting a potential front of he rotation starter who has struggled but could very well turn it around. what do you guys think?

I didn't wany Jimenez last July, and he has not done anything to change my mind since then. He's still over 5.00 now and has over a 1.500 WHIP since joining Cleveland last summer (19 GS  5.09  1.554). One good thing is his salary...

12:$4.2M, 13:$5.75M club option ($1M buyout), 14:$8M club option ($1M buyout)

If we give them Youk at the deadline for Jimenez, we'd save about $2.5M for 2012. The Tribe alsoi needs OF help, and maybe we could give them one of our cast-offs once Ells and CC return (Byrd, DMac, Nava, or maybe even Ross if Jimenez is doing better by July 31st). 

I just don't think we need another big question mark starter. Zito is a better bet and his salary cost makes him more tradable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Let's face it, moonslav just likes to make trades.  The lousy lineup he disparages as having too many so-so players is second in the AL in runs scored.  Philly is supposed to have good pitching, but the Sox scored some runs in all three games and won two of them in Philly. 

I have no objection to trading Youk or CC, but don't like the idea of also paying their salaries after they leave.    I also have no objection to trading Melancon or Bailey or both because I think the bullpen is doing well without them and with Mortensen ready for a callup.  Trading Albers, Atchison, Morales, Padilla, Aceves, Hill, et al, is unlikely to bring much in return. 

I also agree that a good starter would be useful.  Lots of luck with that.  Oswalt has never pitched in the AL East, ditto Zito.  Aren't they both used to throwing in those spacious western ballparks? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkdew763. Show mkdew763's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe... Trade: Youk-  12 :$12M,  13 :$13M club option ($1M buyout) Buch-  12 :$3.5M,  13 :$5.5M,  14 :$7.7M,  15 :$12M,  16 :$13M club option ($0.245M  Ross- 12: $3M Kalish/Gomez or Ranaudo/Anderson +$2M in cash to even out 2012 cost after deadline. For: Justin Upton-  12 :$6.75M,  13 :$9.75M,  14 :$14.25M,  15 :$14.5M Joe Saunders- 12:  $6M (FA in 2013)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Wow is your Moon made of edible green cheese?  I suspect the Diamondbacks would be on LSD to do that trade.  I would ask for Ellsbury, Pedroia and Middlebrooks for a routine MVP candidate and stud starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkdew763. Show mkdew763's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : Andre...do you truly belive that the Sox will be in last place 10GB in June?  If you're a betting man I'll take some of that action...even if you say June 1 that's still a bold statement but I'll take you up on it...let's say a gentleman's bet winner can say I told you so...my bet is come Aug. 1 we'll be in the thick of the Wildcard and within shouting distance of 1st place...any other predictions out there?
    Posted by daveymo1234[/QUOTE]

I will take that action too.  Anybody noticing the Sox in spite of winning 7 of 9 are still in LAST PLACE???  All the major sports analysts are convinced the Sox and Phillies need to be sellers at the deadline.   The track record for streaks means a losing streak is around the corner.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]do we need to make a trade? heck yes. we need a reliable front of the rotation starter. neither beckett or lester are aces. they are both number 2 pitchers, buchholz is a 4, and bard/doubront/dice k can be the 5 (bard should go to the pen when dice comes back, trade doubront in a deal for a starter). The guy we need to go after is zach grienke. I very much doubt the phillies trade cole hamels, so grienke is easily the best pitcher who will likely be available at the deadline given how bad milwaukee is doing. (16-24) What would it take to land grienke is the question, but i think something like this could get the job done: boston gets: SP Zach Grienke Milwaukee gets: SP Anthony Ranuado SP Felix Doubront 1B Lars Anderson OF Brandon Jacobs The sox would get the ace pitcher they need while milwaukee would get a top pitching prospect in ranuado, another quality pitcher with upside in doubront, a 1B of the future is lars anderson and a high upside outfield prospect in brandon jacobs. Another scenario that could unfold is a 3 team deal in which youk is dealt to someone like the d-backs for prospects and then those prospects plus some of the sox prospects go to milwaukee for grienke. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Grienke has an anxiety disorder and I recall hearing him voice against going to a big market team in the past.  This however does look like the type of deal that would net a quality starting pitcher that could really make a difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's face it, moonslav just likes to make trades. 

The offers I post are just suggestions. I'm not even sure I am for some of them. I hear rumors of teams looking at so and so, and think of possibilities. It interests me, but I am not always serious about some of my suggestions.

The lousy lineup he disparages as having too many so-so players is second in the AL in runs scored.  

Umm, I never said our offense needs help...that would be softy. The so-so players are our #3-6 starters and bottom relief guys who some are at their peak in trade value right now.

Philly is supposed to have good pitching, but the Sox scored some runs in all three games and won two of them in Philly.  

The only recent trade I have mentioned for an offensive player is the Upton deal.

I have no objection to trading Youk or CC, but don't like the idea of also paying their salaries after they leave.   

I agree, and that is why I look for deals like CC for Zito, where save some cash longterm and get a player in an area we need more help than offense.

I also have no objection to trading Melancon or Bailey or both because I think the bullpen is doing well without them and with Mortensen ready for a callup.  Trading Albers, Atchison, Morales, Padilla, Aceves, Hill, et al, is unlikely to bring much in return.  

My point is that, for example, trading Albers and Atchison together should net us a better pitcher than either alone. We then bring up Mortensene or melancon and they are basically equal to Albers or Atchison, so we break even at one slot and gain at the other.

I also agree that a good starter would be useful.  Lots of luck with that.  Oswalt has never pitched in the AL East, ditto Zito.  

I have never wanted Oswalt exfept for maybe $2-3M with incentives, which basically means we'd never get him. Zito has pitched in the AL (mostly long ago). He did poorly vs NY and Boston, but Ok vs Tor, Tb and Balt. My idea of trading CC for Zito was not for the idea that Zito is going to do great things, but more out of the fact that I think Ross/Nava can do close to what CC can do, and we'd save a ton of money longterm. Anything Zito gives would be a plus. If we cut him, we'd still make out better than paying CC $20+M for 5 more years.

Aren't they both used to throwing in those spacious western ballparks?  

St.L is not a spacious western park.
    Yes, Zito has pitched in a big park division (except for Colorado) in the NL and AL, but like I said, it's not about expecting greatness from barry, but more about dumping CC without paying for him per se. (BTW, Zito is not the only salary dump out there. There is Jake Peavy, Wandy Rodriguez, and others.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wow is your Moon made of edible green cheese?  I suspect the Diamondbacks would be on LSD to do that trade.  I would ask for Ellsbury, Pedroia and Middlebrooks for a routine MVP candidate and stud starter.

Yeah, I agree that was a lowball offer, even considering Upton's slow start.

I think you've gone overboard the other way with your offer. Ben would be "trippin' to take your offer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think we may see Punto moved to the Dodgers this week--he might be the perfect fit replacing Ellis at 2 B  for the next 6 weeks, for a PTBNL.

It's not so much what they get back for some of these players but whether they have options. Moon is looking for the CC or Buch or Beckett or Dice for other teams big contracts--which I fully agree is the only way these people get moved. This may be the time to move on Peavey, a Rios, Wells, Wandy, Floyd or Zito-

I would not look for Grienke---I would look for Marcum with the Brewers--a proven AL East starter with the Jays. I would also look for a guy that is the Tom Brunansky type, Corey Hart for perhaps Youk and Sweeney  and/or a prospect.

I see Buch, Ciriaco/Gomez and Anderson OR other prospects  to Houston for Wandy, his contract and an A prospect. Reuniting with Brad Mills could be a huge plus for these guys.

Guys like Stolmy Pimental,Lars, Mauro Gomez, Drake Britton and Oscar Tejada who may be stymied in AA and are on the Sox 40 man roster, which means the Sox are protecting them from the Rule 5 and they believe they are good prospects but need protection while they get more experience:

I could see Melancon to Seattle for Brandon League and a prospect.

There are moves that BenC can make that could strenthen the roster--why wait til the deadline--be proactive not reactive. We are 6.5 games out with 3 against the O's and then the Ray's at home--time to pick up a game or two, currently 1 behind the Yanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When all these guys come off the DL, we will have some decisions to make. I really think we need to make a 3 for 1 deal to make room on the roster and upgrade at a pitching slot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

[QUOTE]When all these guys come off the DL, we will have some decisions to make. I really think we need to make a 3 for 1 deal to make room on the roster and upgrade at a pitching slot.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree.  As much as I like homegrown talent...With Beckett and Lackey "untradeable", Bard, Buch, or Dubront need to go.  Maybe 2 out of 3.  We need a solid, provem, consistent 2-3 starter.  A marcum type.  If a high salary guy like Youk can also be shipped out(CC, Lackey, Beckett also examples) than so much the better.  Our core and offense are fine.  It is our SP that is just plain not good enough.  Lackey was a mistake, but a mistake that most GM's would have made.  Extending Beckett for all of those years was a head scratcher.  CC was way too big of a gamble.  At least Ortiz is a year to year gamble...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Honestly, if I was to make a trade, I'd package up Middlebrooks with a starter for a better starter.

If Youk has a good second half of the year, we could consider resigning him to a 2 year, team friendly contract.  If Youk doesnt, then we could slide Aviles over to third (his natural position) and call up Iggy.  We also have good organizational depth at 3B beyond Middlebrooks.

I'm not saying that I'd pursue this, but if a rival GM falls in love with Middlebrooks and makes a solid offer, Middlebrooks isnt untouchable.

Sections
Shortcuts