Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -theyazzer-. Show -theyazzer-'s posts

Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat?

In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat?:
    In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat? : The way Crawford plays the monster, he makes Manny look like Tori Hunter. The guy appears to be about as bright as a 2 watt bulb. Can't figure the angles out, then when he gets his glove on the ball , he has that Dewey Evans arm, that being Mrs Dewey Evans. He's hitting a weak .257 , take out the bloops to left and the infield hits, and he's batting .150 at best. He can't lay off a lefties breaking ball in the dirt, Hellooooo Carl , guess what's coming. Dah a fastball down he middle?  No Carl guess again. A high fastball above the letters? Yes maybe Carl we know you like them, but not yet. Guess again Carl. I give up, what's coming next ? Yada yada yada.  Now wasn't that a scintillating conversation. I'd rather talk to a box of rocks. 
    Posted by aussiewill

as for crawford's arm, i've never seen mrs dwight evans throw a baseball, but there is one person i have seen who reminds me of carl. that would be ANTHONY PERKINS in the movie FEAR STRIKES OUT.
    if you haven't seen it, check it out; perkin's throwing motion is very similar to crawford's. i remember commenting while watching this film about couldn't they have signed a more athletic actor tp play jimmy piersall, at least an actor who didn't throw the ball like a girl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat?:
    Saw this note. Boston is 23-5 its last 28 games versus a left-handed starter.
    Posted by royf19

I do believe we need a RHH OF which is why I don't see both Kalish and Reddick ever breaking our starting lineup together.  McD isn't the answer and Aviles isn't a true OF.  You may see a trade in the off season involving Kalish or Reddick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Of course we need a RH bat, unless you think DMac .176 and Aviles .222 at KC are adequate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat? : hey aussie, do you think that this crawford signing will be the one that finally gets ARROGANT THEO fired after so many bad, expensive FA signings? or am i just getting my hopes up?
    Posted by -theyazzer-

Sorry theyazzer, they won't be firing Theo. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Fenway has been full to capacity for almost 9 years now. As long as that continues , Epstein has an unlimited supply of cash to speculate with. I don't see that changing . The Sox have an exciting team to watch, some great players, so Theo will dodge the bullet for now.

However, when it comes time to sign Ellsbury, his agent Boras, knows very well what Crawford got, and will want the same. can they afford it? Will they pay it? The only thing that will be Theo's undoing, are the benchmark contracts  he sets.

Paying Crawford that much for seven years, is mind blowing. he has locked up left field for 7 years. So now where are the outfield prospects going to play? Right field that's about it, you'll never see Crawford in right , with his arm. The other spot is center if Jacoby walks. If he walks that will be inadvertently because of the Crawford deal. Theo has painted himself into a corner on this deal, Crawford better come good.

The fact that Crawford, is having a bad year, is not the major issue.  The major issue is the precedent, money and length of contract wise, this deal sets on future development of players in the system , and the signing of free agents.

The deal blocks the pipeline for prospects and raises the bar for future free agents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

They definately need, no desparately need a RH bat, and the failure to add one is intentional and delusional. The contributions of Reddick are nice, but will not be maintained, which will only make the need more glaring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes, next question 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

They definately need, no desparately need a RH bat, and the failure to add one is intentional and delusional. The contributions of Reddick are nice, but will not be maintained, which will only make the need more glaring.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

The next question is. If they need a right handed bat, where will they play him? Not Left, not center, right,  Reddick deserves playing time, can't bench him, or at least they shouldn't. They may have no choice. Thanks to the Crawford deal. 

The only position spots available for several years, are shortstop, catcher , and right field , DH in a couple of years .  Reddick looks like he belongs. So now what? Did Theo ever think about this big block in the system, committing to one player for seven years can cause, if said player is a dud? Nooooooooooo.

They would have been in the Hunter Pence sweeps, were it not for the Crawford deal. Trust me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The contract may ultimately push Ellsbury out of town. They won't be able to short-change Jacoby on money when the time comes. It's why I am against long-term contract signings to marginal talents--it impacts the contracts of current Sox who are performing at much higher levels. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Bring "Jack the Ripper" Clark back!www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-290157-jack-clark-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-boston-red-sox-mla-978.jpg" alt="" width="430" height="535" />

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat? : The next question is. If they need a right handed bat, where will they play him? Not Left, not center, right,  Reddick deserves playing time, can't bench him, or at least they shouldn't. They may have no choice. Thanks to the Crawford deal.    The only position spots available for several years, are shortstop, catcher , and right field , DH in a couple of years .  Reddick looks like he belongs. So now what? Did Theo ever think about this big block in the system, committing to one player for seven years can cause, if said player is a dud? Nooooooooooo. They would have been in the Hunter Pence sweeps, were it not for the Crawford deal. Trust me.
    Posted by aussiewill

The price for Pence was so cheap, it was ridiculous, the Astros sold from weakness, he sure would look nice in RF wouldn't he?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I know it is super small sample sizes, but it is intersting that 2 of the 4 AL parks the Sox have higher ERAs than in Fenway are Seattle and Oakland. (The others are Texas and Toronto.) Highest park OPS against? 1) Tex  1.183 2) Sea    .781 3) Oak    .739 4) MN     .728 5) Bos    .718 Before today's game Sox hitters had a higher OPS than Fenway (.855) in just 3 parks: Totonto  1.001 Seattle     .982 NYY          .867 Their worst parks? 1) Philly  .585 2) Tex     .609 3) TB       .630 4) Oak    .634   Again, some small sample sizes here.
    Posted by moonslav59

Which is why I went back 8 years.
    You get a much better read.
    Facing one pitcher who has a horrid outing can skew the numbers of a given series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

You may see a trade in the off season involving Kalish or Reddick.

Very stupid. Need to see Ellsbury's 2 years of arbitration traded to a big market team who has a RH OF star who will also be a FA a year sooner and who will cost more and arbitration and more in FA. That's right, Kemp. Ellsbury and one or two from  Lowrie or  Hassan or Brentz and Doubrant or Weiland will most surely do the trick.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Dannycater : Your exactly right, about long term contracts, especially for marginal players. Who was Theo bidding against for Crawfords services? The Yankees ? No way. The Angels , that's the rumour. They were offering 5/15 so he comes out with 7/20 where's the middle ground? 

The DiceK 50 million to negotiate, next highest offer 39 million. Unreal , Dice was never worth 100 mil , for six years, untried in MLB. That's what he cost the Sox. Hope the money pit never runs dry. Theo doesn't do the job with his brains, he does it with his checkbook, or John Henry's checkbook. That's okay, it's not but so what. What's not okay , is signing mediocre players for huge dollars and blocking the road for good prospects, with unlimited potential. That's the real downside of long term contracts.

Then back to the initial question, Do the Sox really need a right handed bat? Well that's immaterial, they have no place to play one. Dumb planning .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You may see a trade in the off season involving Kalish or Reddick. Very stupid. Need to see Ellsbury's 2 years of arbitration traded to a big market team who has a RH OF star who will also be a FA a year sooner and who will cost more and arbitration and more in FA. That's right, Kemp. Ellsbury and one or two from  Lowrie or  Hassan or Brentz and Doubrant or Weiland will most surely do the trick.  
    Posted by softylaw

Who the hell is going to be motivated to pay Jake's two arb. years...and give up a top RH outfielder to boot?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat? :  The price for Pence was so cheap, it was ridiculous, the Astros sold from weakness, he sure would look nice in RF wouldn't he?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

You know why Pence went so cheap? One reason, Epstein wasn't in on the bidding. How did the Phillies sign Lee for little more than the Sox paid for Lackey? The Phillies are clever, Theo's out, their in. Theo wasn't in on the bidding.

You look at the contracts where Theo or Cashman aren't in the bidding, they are 20% less than the contracts when they are in on the bidding. Cashman by the way, looks like he has gotten the word, don't throw money away anymore. He has pulled his horns in. Got Garcia and Colon for peanuts. Brings up Nova and Robertson. Cashman can't wait to see the ars.. end of AJ Burnett. 

That leaves The Kosher Butcher from Brookline to bid against himself. His spending and judgement , cost any opportunity to get Pence, who would have fit like a glove. It will come back to haunt him, that I guarantee. Crawford's deal could be the straw that breaks the Camel's back. One can only hope.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Sox Really Need a RH Bat? : You know why Pence went so cheap? One reason, Epstein wasn't in on the bidding. How did the Phillies sign Lee for little more than the Sox paid for Lackey? The Phillies are clever, Theo's out, their in. Theo wasn't in on the bidding. You look at the contracts where Theo or Cashman aren't in the bidding, they are 20% less than the contracts when they are in on the bidding. Cashman by the way, looks like he has gotten the word, don't throw money away anymore. He has pulled his horns in. Got Garcia and Colon for peanuts. Brings up Nova and Robertson. Cashman can't wait to see the ars.. end of AJ Burnett.  That leaves The Kosher Butcher from Brookline to bid against himself. His spending and judgement , cost any opportunity to get Pence, who would have fit like a glove. It will come back to haunt him, that I guarantee. Crawford's deal could be the straw that breaks the Camel's back. One can only hope.
    Posted by aussiewill

Oh, I get it now, you're an anti-semite, makes total sense, 88.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Pitchers who are around the plate will give up dingers.
    If the home runs were that detrimental, he wouldn't be nearing 200 wins.

Your arguing with a hollow empty glass, the only way to win is to break the glass my friend!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pitchers who are around the plate will give up dingers. If the home runs were that detrimental, he wouldn't be nearing 200 wins. Your arguing with a hollow empty glass, the only way to win is to break the glass my friend!
    Posted by promise4you

I know. But, hey, breaking glasses is supposed to represent good luck at weddings!
    I do admit, however, that marrying logic to blind ignorance is a recipe for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPYZxIg2HsI&feature=related

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the Red Sox can pick up Jason Bay via waivers, should they do it? Although he's been an overall disappointment in Queens, he's posting a .317 AVG, .441 OBA, .941 OPS in 82 at-bats against lefthanded pitchers. It seems like everyone stops hitting homeruns when they play for the Mets, so I'd expect the power numbers to increase in a return to Boston. Bay is signed through 2013 at $16 million a year, which would make him a very expensive platoon option. If the Mets would agree to absorb at least 1/2 of his remaining salary, I'd consider adding him as a righthanded complement to Crawford in LF, frequent late inning PH, and occassional DH.
    Posted by davidap
    If they are going to try and get a guy who has already played in Beantown they should see what the A's want for Crisp he's a switchitter and he might offer just what the Sox need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Who the hell is going to be motivated to pay Jake's two arb. years...and give up a top RH outfielder to boot?

A team that would have to be Kemp 10 to 12M or 4 to 6M more than Ellsbury, and a team that will be losing Kemp to FA and 20M a year for 2013.

A team that is rebuilding and would like to get 2 or 3 high level prospects in addition to 2 years of a starter OF'er.

AGon isn't in San Diego anymore, Harness. Get a clue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Who the hell is going to be motivated to pay Jake's two arb. years...and give up a top RH outfielder to boot? A team that would have to be Kemp 10 to 12M or 4 to 6M more than Ellsbury, and a team that will be losing Kemp to FA and 20M a year for 2013. A team that is rebuilding and would like to get 2 or 3 high level prospects in addition to 2 years of a starter OF'er. AGon isn't in San Diego anymore, Harness. Get a clue.
    Posted by softylaw

I know. I said he wouldn't be by July 31st.
    As for Kemp, LA can still get two more years from the retirement league stud and then get the picks. If they get Jake, same thing.

Again: Where is the motivation? Considering your stance that Jake is having a "career year", the monetary differential won't balance the scales...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Kemp is FA at end of next year. Wrong again. Picks arent guaranteed or as good as seasoned high level prospects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

You look at the contracts where Theo or Cashman aren't in the bidding, they are 20%

Jayson Werth?

less than the contracts when they are in on the bidding.

Got Garcia and Colon for peanuts.

Sometimes you hit gold most of the time you don't.

That leaves The Kosher Butcher from Brookline to bid against himself. His spending and judgement , cost any opportunity to get Pence, who would have fit like a glove. It will come back to haunt him, that I guarantee. Crawford's deal could be the straw that breaks the Camel's back. One can only hope.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

Wow. A lot of anger about baseball decisions!  Where did you stand on trading low for Salty?  Resigning Beckett? Picking up Aceves?  Letting Bay, Pedro, Lowe, or Manny walk? etc etc

How about not short-term thinking and keeping the prospects like Lester, Paps, Buchholz, .................?

There have been good and bad moves like every GM.  How does way over-paying for Howard look now in Philly? 

How about some balance from you?

Sections
Shortcuts