Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

"Cherington said the team would have some sort of definitive resolution on veterans Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield by next week."

I do hope that the definitive resolution is made so that there will be no more threads on this topic.

The Cubs compensation stalemate is the collective fault of Cherrington and Epstein to reach an agreement ( not just Cherrington). They could not and that is why it is now in the hands of Selig.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

With the lack of pitching wakefield might not be the worst call.

In regards to Varitek its a tough call he was my favorite player when i was a kid...after Mo Vaugn. Im glad i dont have to make it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

These two are almost 100 years old combined.  The Red Sox deserve better than having to publicly embarrass these two.  It's like when you don't call a girl you were dating for two months do you really have to explain to her that it's over?

It happens to everyone, you get old and you either retire with dignity or you wait for someone to tell you that youre done.  It isn't the Red Sox fault that neither Tek nor Wake decided to choose dignity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtap66. Show jtap66's posts

Compensation for Theo?  Tek and Wake in limbo?  I had not heard about these developments.  Why were there not 500 threads created dedicated to these topics?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413657. Show user_4413657's posts

I think they're both showing how difficult it is to simply step away from million dollar plus paydays.  Wakefield should have quit a couple of years ago at least and Varitek last year, would be a fine swan song for him.  But they just can't declare it all said and done.  Truth be told, I don't think I could either if I was in their shoes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    [QUOTE]These two are almost 100 years old combined.  The Red Sox deserve better than having to publicly embarrass these two.  It's like when you don't call a girl you were dating for two months do you really have to explain to her that it's over? It happens to everyone, you get old and you either retire with dignity or you wait for someone to tell you that youre done.  It isn't the Red Sox fault that neither Tek nor Wake decided to choose dignity.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

85 is not almost 100, and while I agree that Varitek should retire, I am not so sure about Wake. He is still an effective pitcher who can get guys out, and given the state of the Red Sox rotation, having him available to pitch and probably secure you 10 wins, isn't the worst thing that could happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]These two are almost 100 years old combined.  The Red Sox deserve better than having to publicly embarrass these two.  It's like when you don't call a girl you were dating for two months do you really have to explain to her that it's over? It happens to everyone, you get old and you either retire with dignity or you wait for someone to tell you that youre done.  It isn't the Red Sox fault that neither Tek nor Wake decided to choose dignity.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Depends what sort of person you are, courageous and honourable, or not.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtap66. Show jtap66's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : 85 is not almost 100, and while I agree that Varitek should retire, I am not so sure about Wake. He is still an effective pitcher who can get guys out, and given the state of the Red Sox rotation, having him available to pitch and probably secure you 10 wins, isn't the worst thing that could happen.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Agree on Wake.  He's flexible.  Can start and pitch relief.  As long as he's willing to accept a limited role and a smaller pacheck, there's really not much downside.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The money to be made in pro sports is better than anything these two can get on the outside. They continue to try and hang on to a game that has past them by.

Let go, for Chrisakes!!! There is more to life than playing a kid's game until you ar 50! Live life, find something else.

Why do so many athletes want to be like Gordie Howe nowadays? In Gordie's day it was the love of the game. It couldn't be the money, could it?

Only a handful of great players play beyond 40 years old. In my wildest dreams as good as they were, I would never place Varitek and Wakefield among the all time greats...or even in the top 1,000 baseball players ever. Time to hang it up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Zilla, what makes you assume it's the money?  While I feel Wakes could be useful for the Sox this year, perhaps until Matsuzaka returns, I think he is more interested in the Sox all time win list then about money.  And I don't blame him.

I would never criticise a player for wanting to play forever, who wouldn't?  I understand that some people think it would tarnish a legacy, but why should Tek and Wakes (or anyone else) care what internet yahoos like Mr. Hanky think?  If they want to play and a team wants to pay them, fine by me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

No. Its time to move on and they should be able to see it but they're both to proud to see it. Posada saw it and made the right call for all involved.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No...no roster spot for them.  Why you want to waste two roster spots for these guys if you have two other young future star is soon to be ready to play in the major league level?   These young stars deserve a shot and try to prove the organization that they can play like Larvanway, Middlebrook, Iggy, any future young pitcher, etc.  

Tek is more likely going to just sit on the bench for 75% to 85% of the games anyway!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]No...no roster spot for them.  Why you want to waste two roster spots for these guys if you have two other young future star is soon to be ready to play in the major league level?   These young stars deserve a shot and try to prove the organization that they can play like Larvanway, Middlebrook, Iggy, any future young pitcher, etc.   Tek is more likely going to just sit on the bench for 75% to 85% of the games anyway!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

No spot for Tek.....two spots for Wake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Tek is only 3 years from his last divorce and has been making only $2 million per year since.  Not that $2 million is chump change, but relatively speaking, he doesn't have any money.  He should have followed in Posada's foot steps and juiced up last year, hoping to cash in on a $10 million deal for this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : Depends what sort of person you are, courageous and honourable, or not.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

I cant think of a single large corporation that is courageous and honorable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Wakefield's contributions to the community cannot be disputed. In that regard, he at least needs to be told to his face whether or not the RS plan to offer him a deal. He should at least be offered a non-guaranteed invite to ST to try and earn a spot.
    BC has not handled this well. I don't even think he has met with Tim. More and more, I think BC is a weasel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

"Cherington said the team would have some sort of definitive resolution on veterans Jason Varitek and Tim Wakefield by next week."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield's contributions to the community cannot be disputed. In that regard, he at least needs to be told to his face whether or not the RS plan to offer him a deal. He should at least be offered a non-guaranteed invite to ST to try and earn a spot. BC has not handled this well. I don't even think he has met with Tim. More and more, I think BC is a weasel.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

It doesn't seem that any major league gm has met with Wake.  Some might take that as a sign of some sort.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If these guys weren't long time members who contributed mightly to the successes of the past, they would have been dumped with yesterday's trash.

It is only out of respect for them as human beings, good human beings, good team mates that they are still even in the mix.

It is not because either one has the ability to play at the major league level anymore. We can see this, managemnet can see this, the two players do not believe they are done. They are living in a world of make-believe....hoping to hang on for another season.

Out of respect for two really good guys, management is stalling, shuffling their feet and not pulling the plug abruptly. They are surely hoping that one day these two wake up from their dream and realize it's all over. Find a hobby , retire to ESPN or NESN broadcast or analyst booth, maybe coach somewhere, but please do not try to play a game that you were once good at, but now cannot keep from embarrassing yourself trying to play.

It's not that I like saying this, but truth sometimes hurts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I cant believe anyone is serious about resigning these two fossils...no one wants them so why should we? Just more corporate wellfare for the rich I suppose...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

At some point during the year Wake will get an opportunity to pitch once the inury bug hits.

Varitek needs to come to grips that his playing days are behind him, and that the role best suited for him helping the team at this point is in some type of coaching capacity, which im sure the the front office would love to give him.  In 4-5 years once you see some of the players move on who Tek used play with, he will emerge as the teams new manager down the line, much like Joe Giradi with the Yankees only better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]The money to be made in pro sports is better than anything these two can get on the outside. They continue to try and hang on to a game that has past them by. Let go, for Chrisakes!!! There is more to life than playing a kid's game until you ar 50! Live life, find something else. Why do so many athletes want to be like Gordie Howe nowadays? In Gordie's day it was the love of the game. It couldn't be the money, could it? Only a handful of great players play beyond 40 years old. In my wildest dreams as good as they were, I would never place Varitek and Wakefield among the all time greats...or even in the top 1,000 baseball players ever. Time to hang it up.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]WELL SAID ZILLY......  HECK, I HAVE BEEN THERE.....  AS AN 8 YEAR OLD "ALL WORLD' 2ND BASEMAN IN LITTLE LEAGUE.....  AND AFTER 5 YEARS I HAD TO GO..... NOW TIMMY AND V-TECK NEED TO GO HOME AND GET THE FISHING GEAR GOING AND ENJOY !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]It is only out of respect for them as human beings, good human beings, good team mates that they are still even in the mix. It is not because either one has the ability to play at the major league level anymore. Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Neither one of them has the ability to be an everyday player or regular starter anymore, but in a backup role or a spot starting role, we could do a lot worse. 

With the signing of Shoppach, there is unfortunately no longer room for Varitek on the team.  However, I would have been happy to have him back as our BUC this year.  Wake should not be making 23 starts, but I would be fine with him making 10-12 starts for the team.