Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe the sox should make another stupid move and offer them arb. That way we can have three old players who scuk.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

We????? I doubt very much that you are a Red Sox fan.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    [QUOTE]Saw in Cafardo's column today that Ben Cherington thinks he might be able to make a decision on these guys by next week. I guess this shouldn't be surprising, considering Gentle Ben has been saying for months that the compensation issue with the Cubs will be settled "soon." But I think the team should show these guys enough respect to just tell them where they stand and be done with it. This has already dragged on long enough, even though the final outcome may be obvious.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Agree

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The truly sad part is that Cherry is now claiming a decision has to be made with these two old bums. Neither would listen to Cherry and just gracefully announce their retirement, they are both begging for contracts. No other team is willing to pluck these old men from the dumpster, except as tryouts and minor league contract profiles.

Very sad that Cherry has to tell them to go away, yet again. I certainly hope he does so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They both got what they deserved last year, a contract - it should have been their official swan song's. Why do we owe them more? Neither has held thir worth for the past two seasons.

Why do we have to keep starting threads on these two particular players?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Davetheknave starts many threads like this one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]They both got what they deserved last year, a contract - it should have been their official swan song's. Why do we owe them more? Neither has held thir worth for the past two seasons. Why do we have to keep starting threads on these two particular players?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

This part I wholeheartedly agree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Like Posada did, like IRod will do etc. And again, if they really wanted to play and thought they could, why aren't the other 29 teams knocking on their door?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

You just can't keep guys forever.  You have to move on.  I'd like to see them keep Wake to see what he can do this year but not if it is going to cost a few million.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

And why would you waste a roster spot on that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They both got what they deserved last year, a contrac...

I thought you were arguing last winter and the one before that to let them go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It's obvious the Red Sox don't want them. Cherrington waited as long as possible, hoping another team would sign them so that there would not have to be a decision by the Red Sox.
    But as everyone new, no one wants these guys and why would you? Who wants a 40 year old back up catcher and a 46 year old knuckleballer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Wakfefield's agent:

Tim Wakefield's agent, Barry Meister, told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald on Thursday that the knuckleballer will make a decision within the next few days whether he'll continue his playing career in 2012.
    "We’re discussing the options — and he has some options — and over the next few days, we’re going to try to figure it out," said Meister. "These next few days is just a period of introspection, where he’s trying to decide what to do, whether to play, who to play for." Wakefield has made it clear that he would like to pitch one more season in Boston, but it doesn't appear as though the interest is mutual. Meister said Wednesday that his client hasn't ruled anything out, including possibly accepting a minor league deal with a spring training invite. The 45-year-old compiled a 5.12 ERA and 93/47 K/BB ratio over 154 2/3 innings last year.

This is the same agent who said Tim Wakefield would win 15 games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]Wakfefield's agent: Tim Wakefield's agent, Barry Meister, told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald on Thursday that the knuckleballer will make a decision within the next few days whether he'll continue his playing career in 2012. "We’re discussing the options — and he has some options — and over the next few days, we’re going to try to figure it out," said Meister. "These next few days is just a period of introspection, where he’s trying to decide what to do, whether to play, who to play for." Wakefield has made it clear that he would like to pitch one more season in Boston, but it doesn't appear as though the interest is mutual. Meister said Wednesday that his client hasn't ruled anything out, including possibly accepting a minor league deal with a spring training invite. The 45-year-old compiled a 5.12 ERA and 93/47 K/BB ratio over 154 2/3 innings last year. This is the same agent who said Tim Wakefield would win 15 games.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

If agents always spoke truth about their clients, they wouldn't agents for very long.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I'd like to see them keep Wake to see what he can do this year but not if it is going to cost a few million.

Wastefield's taking advantage of fan sentiment has been called, and Wastefield's market has folded he and his agent. Pitiful comes to mind, which shows how out of touch Moonshlep and many Red Sox fans have been about Wastefield, for years! No more welfare contracts for Mr. No market!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

These next few days is just a period of introspection, where he’s trying to decide what to do, whether to play, who to play for."

No need of introspection is needed, you "he'll win 15 games somewhere" idiotic laughing stock agent!!!!!!!!!!

The market and new GM have kicked a beer gut paunched 45 year old goofball pitcher to the proverbial curb!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that he is still begging is about as pitiful as I have ever seen a former Red Sox player case get!

Retire you prideful and arrogant old man!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The solution with Wake is easy.  Officially, he retires.  Unofficially, we keep him on emergency standby for the next 10 years.  Works for everyone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Been a Sox Fan since 1967 therefor, I am a relatively Old Dude.  

During last season even at my advanced age, there were many times that I honestly believed that I could hit Wakefield.    :)

Wake, thanks but it's time to go.

Varitek was here to be Beckett's personal catcher.  I've lost a lot of respect for Beckett.  If a person gets paid 80 Kilgillian Dollars per year to be the best athlete he can be, one might think he would at the very least keep himself in excellent physical condition.   Beckett is just going to have to suck it up without Varitek. 

Varitek, thanks but it is time to go.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]You just can't keep guys forever.  You have to move on.  I'd like to see them keep Wake to see what he can do this year but not if it is going to cost a few million.
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

Wake cost $2M lasr year. His highest salary was $4.67M in 2005. He has hardly caused the RS to break the bank, and certainly would sign for <$1M for a chance to pitch again. With better defense and BP help he would easily have been 10-5 instead of 7-8.

Varitek, on the other hand, has cost the Sox />$67M over his 15 years. He also made $2M last year, but he did hit 11 dingers in only 250 PAs.
    You forget that Fisk played until he was 46, and while Varitek is no Fisk, he has certainly meant as much, if not more to the organization than Fisk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Wakefield would, I believe, sign for $1M. We have no proven 4th or 5th starter. He is at least in competition with the trash heap Ben signed over the winter and he knows the AL East. As far as age, lets look at the reitrement age of some other known knuckleballers:
    1. Phil Niekro 48
    2. Hoyt Wilhelm 49
    3. Ted Lyons 45
    4. Joe Noekro 43
    5. Charlie Hough 46
    6. Jesse Haines 45

A lot of you are making it sound like Wakefield is an extraordinary case at his age to be playing. First of all, the knuckleball puts little strain on the arm or shoulder. It can be thrown into the 50s if need be. Second, don't pass up a proven pitcher until you are positive that the MASH brigade will yield someone who can start. (Bard has never been a good starter at the major league or minor league level) Third, Dice K should be back by June (or so) Wake could act as a placeholder for him until them. Wake is traditionally better in the 1st half of the season. He could be somewhat effective until Dice returns.

As for Tek. He has just about had it. I wish the Sox could find a coaching job for him. He knows how to prepare and has an exceptional knowledge of the players in the league, especially the AL East. He could be a great mentor for Salty, Shoppach, and Lavarnway this year, just not as a player. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Varitek was here to be Beckett's personal catcher....Varitek, thanks but it is time to go.

You do know the team went 20-10 in games VTek caught pitchers not named Josh, right?

You do know that VTek caught more innings as a back-up than 28 other team's #2 catcher last year, right?

You do know that VTek had an OPS better than nearly half the starting MLB catchers last year, right?

OK, just checking...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Moon,

You have always made a good case for Varitek's worth, and I have always agreed with you.  But with Shoppach on board, I just don't see the need for Vaitek, other than as a coach.

As for Wake, I would like to see him given a shot to compete for the #5 starter slot (if he won the slot it would guarantee Aceves is in the bullpne, where he is almost irreplaceable as a swing man/long innings guy--who then could be Wake's savior in games where Wake loses effectiveness early).  And I wonder how his season would have gone with better defense and Bobby V. deciding when to change pitchers.  A $1 million contract seems a reasonable investment to me, especially compared with Silva and Padilla (who have been brought in to never make the big time, according to some posters on another thread).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

You have always made a good case for Varitek's worth, and I have always agreed with you.  But with Shoppach on board, I just don't see the need for Vaitek, other than as a coach.

I agree and have said so many times. I also said if we bring Papi back, we don't need VTek, because we have Lava.

I'm just setting the record straight on VTek's contributions over the past several years.