Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : Same as regular folk.  Whe you get fat, or smoke, or don't exercise, you are putting your additions over your health, and that hurts the family, and in some cases, your job. I assume that you're in pretty good shape.
    Posted by Joebreidey

You are correct, I would probably walk on you physically. So please now explain how an athlete should not be in the best shape they can be in order to help their team win and equally as important - WIN A BALLGAME!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Babe Ruth was his idle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Varitek has been unable to stand up, for the finish to the final two seasons. Wastefield isn't effective, at all, first half or second half. So far, so good, it appears my campaign to get rid of these old begging bums is likely to end up successful.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

I was waiting for the monster of arrogance (yet for no apparent reason) to start claiming his internet BS was influential in the Red Sox' decisions.  Hilarious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

So was your president

Need an independent federal board to monitor the smoking activities of El Presidente, and fine him for lying and smoking. The board would be made up of the smartest minds from private education institutions that do not take federal money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

no more it is over .move on . i love them them both but lets go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why is anyone even debating this insanity...do we need Tek to be our 4th catcher? Wakefield???? really??? hasnt he pitched poorly long enough for us to say retire?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

why is anyone even debating this insanity...do we need Tek to be our 4th catcher? Wakefield???? really??? hasnt he pitched poorly long enough for us to say retire?
    Posted by georom4
      Quite true.  This so-called dilemma should not even be a current topic.  The problem is that both players apparently want another year in a baseball uniform.  They are both essentially worthless at this point in time and their presence would only serve to block a younger and potentially more effective and talented player from being on the field.  Dragging out the obvious apparently for PR purposes (treating them with dignity and respect supposedly) is not in anyone's best interest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    Varitek has been unable to stand up, for the finish to the final two seasons. Wastefield isn't effective, at all, first half or second half. So far, so good, it appears my campaign to get rid of these old begging bums is likely to end up successful.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

I was waiting for the monster of arrogance (yet for no apparent reason) to start claiming his internet BS was influential in the Red Sox' decisions.  Hilarious.

It's actually more sad than hilarious. 

Ben must have listened real hard when mr. hanky was saying "don't sign Ross", "don't trade for Melancon", "trade Jake", etc...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?":
    why is anyone even debating this insanity...do we need Tek to be our 4th catcher? Wakefield???? really??? hasnt he pitched poorly long enough for us to say retire? Posted by georom4
    Yes we need Wake more than ever. We have no 4th or 5th or 6th starter, unless you want the great Sean White, who our genius GM signed today. You, Burrito, and HWJ are cut from the same cloth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Not signing them up til this point is saying it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

No. They are stubborn and refuse to accept the reality that they're finished. They made plenty of money through the years, the Sox owe them nothing more. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

My guess - both make the team. Wakefield would be the 1st to go, however, depending on how he does relative to the other Pitchers, including whatever transactions occur. In that case, somebody will pick him up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes we need Wake more than ever. We have no 4th or 5th or 6th starter, unless you want the great Sean White, who our genius GM signed today.

Wake would match up well with the return of Dice-K, since like I said last year, Wake should not pitch more than 12-15 straight starts or have130+ IP. Wake has had some pretty good success at the start of the season or his first few starts. Other than 2010, his beginnings have been pretty darn good...

2011: Had a 4.14 ERA April & May combined, and once he joined the rotation FT, he led the team to a 10-4 record by letting up 3 or less ERs 9 times.

2010: The year after his back surgery was a rollercoaster aided by being jerked back and forth from the rotation a full 10 times! He still had a 4.44 ERA on May 23rd. In his first 6 scattered starts he let up 2, 5, 6, 2, 3, and 0 ERs in (18 ER in 40 total IP/ 4.05 ERA).

2009: His first 15 starts earned him an allstar slot.  The team went 12-3. He had a 4.18 ERA. He had 7 starts with 0-2 ERs, 3 with 3 ERS, 1 with 4 ER, 2 with 5 ERs, and 2 with 6-7.

2008: He actually started slow, but had a great stretch from May 28th to July 12th (9 straight starts with 0-3 ERs/ 7 with 0-2 ERs). His ERA on July 12th was 3.60 and he ended the season with the 5th best WHIP in the AL.

2007: Fantastic start to the season. He started the year with 26 straight games with zero no decisions! (16-10). He had a 1.79 ERA after 7 starts with 5 of those start with 0-1 ER!). He still had a 3.92 ERA by June 12th.

2006: After letting up 7 ER in 3.2 IP in his first start, he let up 0-3 ERs in his next 7 starts . After a couple bad starts (4 & 6 ERs), he then had 10 straight starts with 0-3 ERS, except one 4 ER game. He had a 3.82 ERA on June 20th.

2005: 1.75 ERA after 4 starts in April and a 3.61 ERA after 8 starts (May 15th).  He then had a 4 game bad stretch (5,6,4,7 ERs), then 4 nice ones (1,0,0,2 ERs)...3.94 ERA at the end of June.

2004: 3.97 ERA on July 10th (11 starts with 0-2 ERS out of 17 starts)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Don't state facts, moon. If you do, you end up forcing the ignorant to say things like "so, what does that matter, he's old! he's fat! he's not reliable!!!"...Facts and opinion seem to have no relation on most of these threads anyway. It's par for the course.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't state facts, moon. If you do, you end up forcing the ignorant to say things like "so, what does that matter, he's old! he's fat! he's not reliable!!!"...Facts and opinion seem to have no relation on most of these threads anyway. It's par for the course.
    Posted by dannycater

The other thing is that he not really that fat. 

He's not "old" for a knuckleballer.

His best 50 consecutive start stretch of his career was from ages 41-43.
      (Many clowns here wanted him to retire before that stretch as well.)

He'd probably sign for $800K and incentives.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I'd rather a big gaping hole in the Sox #5 spot than to waste it on another painful season of a fat, 45 year old, unable to field his position, 5+ ERA selfish clown from last year, carrying over his "the fans deserve to see me win" attitude, return to this team.

Wakefield... No, unquestionably no at any price.  You Wake Fans must get over your emotional attachment.  The team does not need anymore softball league players just because you loooooooove them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    Saw in Cafardo's column today that Ben Cherington thinks he might be able to make a decision on these guys by next week. I guess this shouldn't be surprising, considering Gentle Ben has been saying for months that the compensation issue with the Cubs will be settled "soon." But I think the team should show these guys enough respect to just tell them where they stand and be done with it. This has already dragged on long enough, even though the final outcome may be obvious.
    Posted by davetheknave

Tek and Wake have meant a lot to the franchise but like anyone past their prime, sooner or later its time to cut ties. 

Our team has struggled recently for a lot of reasons like:

- Injuries
    - Poor conditioning
    - More bad signings than good
    - Possible lack of discipline
    - Aging players

I think we may have done a decent job replacing Wake and Tek but still have yet to solidfy our starting rotation, or improve our club.  The Lackey and Crawford signings have forced us to make lessor moves.  With that said there are still concerns moving into 2012 that have yet to be solved. 

#1 How will the staff do without Tek?  Will his "game calling skills" really be a concern?
    #2 Have we improved over Wake and Lackey?  I say no but may have added depth.
    #3 Have we improved over Pap and Bard in the pen?  Not sure
    #4 Will Bobby V. be able to handle the pressure and and much needed discipline?
    #5 Can Beckett keep his cool or pitch well with anyone but Tek?
    #6 Will Bard succeed as a starter?  Could be huge for us
    #7 Will Dice return to give us a boost?
    #8 Where is Lavarnways place in our future lineup?
    #9 Will Iggy become decent an all round SS?
    #10 Do we have a solid RF for the future
    #11 Will any one or two of these new arms signed to minor league contracts help?

The list could go on by singling out people like Youks importance, but the bottom line is we could once again be a first or third place team that is very difficult to predict.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'd rather a big gaping hole in the Sox #5 spot than to waste it on another painful season of a fat, 45 year old, unable to field his position, 5+ ERA selfish clown from last year, carrying over his "the fans deserve to see me win" attitude, return to this team. Wakefield... No, unquestionably no at any price.  You Wake Fans must get over your emotional attachment.  The team does not need anymore softball league players just because you loooooooove them.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

He actually fields his position better than some of the other starters. He is hardly fat....Matt Albers and Bobby Jenks are fat.
    There are many #5 and some #4 starters with ERAs above 5, and yes, after 15 years of doing whatever was asked of him, he deserves a shot to become the all-time Red Sox win leader.

BTW: I haven't seen you post much on here. You avatar suggest you're a hockey fan so why don't you go back to that. You abviously know nothing about baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : Don't forget Wake is a chain smoker - FACT
    Posted by BurritoT

You may be aware that Yaz smoked like a chimney. As it turns out Yaz had a pretty good career. There are many players who did/do smoke and have played into their 40s. I am not recommending it, I just don't think that by itself it is a disqualifier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : The other thing is that he not really that fat.  He's not "old" for a knuckleballer. His best 50 consecutive start stretch of his career was from ages 41-43.   (Many clowns here wanted him to retire before that stretch as well.) He'd probably sign for $800K and incentives.
    Posted by moonslav59

By what standards???? Maybe by Red Sox club med standards where he has to compete with Jenks, Fat Albers, bloated Becket, and expanding Lester...but Wake is certainly pot bellied, and large...a silly observation Moon...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Folks, take a look at what is the essense of pitiful. Moonshlep is begging for 800,000, down from 1 mlllion, to be offered to Tim Wastefield!!!! No need to offer more than market value, which is a box of potato salad and a keg of beer and a minor league contract for $1 a month. 

Ben must have listened real hard when

I wasn't vocal about Cody Ross, who reminds me of a glorified Hermida, one of your cheerleader profiles.

Ben must not be listening to your latest begging plea, to sign "he's not that fat" for $800,000, down from 1 million. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Nothing is more arrogant, on this board, than post total thread counts and bumping, MoonShwemp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Nothing is more arrogant, on this board, than post total thread counts and bumping, MoonShwemp.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

You might want to...um...check the mirror.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm48. Show jm48's posts

Sign Wakefield. They will need him when the injuries bite. Cheap insurance policy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By what standards???? Maybe by Red Sox club med standards where he has to compete with Jenks, Fat Albers, bloated Becket, and expanding Lester...but Wake is certainly pot bellied, and large...a silly observation Moon..

I didn't say he wasn't fat, I said he wasn't "that fat". I guess that is subjective. Look around baseball. There are many "fat players" and many are starters, some of whom are pretty darn good.

Would I rather have seen Wake, Jenks, Albers, and Beckett  a few pounds lighter? Yes. Can we know for sure that they'd have done better? Probably, yes.

Sections
Shortcuts