Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the be...

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game. : You think?  I think the emails came from Theo --  Don't forget, Drew's the guy who had Theo twisting himself in knots explaining why rbis and average are over-rated.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]If you are into such things and read Baseball Abstracts by Bill James and any of the other guys active in SABR you'd know that guys have been "twisting themselves in knots" why RBI (no s please) and BA are over rated long before Theo ever came to Boston.

While it was poo-pooed here I think NU was the one who posted the RBI totals from 2007 for Pedey versus Lugo.

And average? It matters alright but it is less important than OBP. If you have two players with a .380 OBP the one with the .300 BA is likely to be more productive than the one with the .240 BA. But if you have a .300 hitter with a .320 OBP and another is a .265 hitter with a .400 OBP, the guy who makes out 8% of the time less and makes himself eligible to score a run by getting on is more valuable. It is simple really.

Now on the flip side, I do believe that if RBI are mater of luck, with Drew's career stats being what they are, he is an unlucky player indeed. But some years this is not without explanation once you dig deeper into the stats. In 2009 his OPS with RISP was .862, his OBP .399 but his BA only .213. Why? With RISP would you pitch to JD Drew or would you pitch to Nick Green and/or Jason Varitek? The pitchers ended up walking Drew 20% of the PAs with RISP in 2009, so their preference certainly can be inferred from that stat. 

I can respect those who just think SABR is voodoo. But if you do, you are going to question the manager and the GM of the RS a lot as long as John Henry is the managing partner of the RS. Because he doesn't.

Just my takes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the be...

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield has earned every penny of his 50 million. Drew didn't earn his, and doesn't care about the Boston community.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

playing devils advocate again are we....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What I want to hear from the J.D. Drew haters is how much money they THINK he's worth, and compared to what other players putting up similar numbers what he should of got on the free market several years back. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I do not agree at all with Abraham's cherry picked (AL only right fielders who have played each season during Drew's contract).  I do, however, agree with ESPN's objective player rater system which ranks Drew 27th among the 30 starting right fielders so far this year.  Jose Bautista is first with a 78.5 rating and Drew is at 5.5.  Fans who seriously compete in fantasy baseball and I do not this year having come off a season I won 3 of 3 championships in various formats would be considered fools if they had him on their rosters.  He is one of the least productive outfielders in the game today and has been for several years vis a vis his peers.  The good news is that the end of the J.D. Drew era is fast approaching and hopefully he will exit as quietly as he entered.   His legacy will be that he will always be considered one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history (certainly in the top 5 all-time). 
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

The problem with your logic is that fantasy baseball doesn't credit a guy for bases on balls or playing defense and doesn't dicern the difference between the three OF positions...points are awarded for score runs, homers, RBI, AVE and SB a double or a triple has the same value as a single in fantasy baseball...so please don't use that qualifier when accessing the value of an actual player. You come accross as uninformed.

Back to the thread.

Those that want to see the good in Drew will continue to do so, those that choose to dwell on the negetives will highlight his failings...In the end like it or not he's a lot better player than some will admit and not as good as we all had hoped for...He has something that neither Ted Williams or Carl Yazstremski have and that's a World Series Ring...

In his tenure in Boston, the guy's been a pro's pro, have you ever heard any of the players or members of the management throw the guy under the bus? Even once?...In town noted for having very obtrusive media how many negetive Drew stories have you read where he's bitched about not having a set spot in the lineup, blah blah...Which oh by the way, does effect his "numbers". Ever hear him say one negetive word about playing in Fenway, a park that's really not suited for his swing...no didn't think so...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game. :   Aubrey Huff could have been had for a fraction of what Drew got !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Huff in RF at Fenway? no thanks. Remember we had Manny already in LF under sontract thorugh 2010....I get that it's fun beatin' down drew, but like the guy above who cites fantasy stats as the penulimate judge of success...

Drew was not signed to be a middle of the order run producer (we already had Manny & David) he was signed to play RF in Fenway, one of the most challenging and spacious RF in the game and hit 5th or 6th and give us professional at bats, make the opposing pitchers work and serve to lengthen our lineup, Which is exactly what they got!

I know it's difficult for the Xbox generation to see the value in having a guy that has value with the glove...trust me that exactly why they passed on Abreu and Huff (both of whom are adequte at best defensive players, neither had the range to play RF in Fenway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I apparently cannot respond directly to those who "attacked" my use of the objective and certainly far from comprehensive ratings of players from the world of fantasy baseball to make a point that J.D. Drew is and has been essentially "unproductive."  I certainly understand intangibles like outstanding defense, being a good teammate and stats which are not directly valued in rating systems like .OBP based on a high walk to at bat ratio which is not always a fantasy statistic, but is in some formats.  Don't put too much emphasis into a player who is surrounded with a lot of talent and luck winning a WS ring.  Its meaningless and if great Red Sox players like Grove, Foxx, Williams, Cronin, Boggs, Fisk, Yaz, Evans, Rice and Clemens among others had not more often than not been surrounded by a bunch of stiffs, they would have had a ring or two.  Ted Williams probably said it best when he opined that had the Sox had a shortstop named Phil Rizzuto instead of Johnny Pesky, things would have been much different or words to that effect.  He was not throwing Pesky under the bus as they say, but simply observing the intangibles that sometimes culminate in championships.  Guys like the immortal Drew, Mark Bellhorn, B.Y. Kim, Ramiro Mendoza, Dave Roberts and Pokey Reese among others have more "rings" than the greatest players in franchise history.  Who cares?   Meaningless and simply being in the right place at the right time.  By any factual measure Drew has been a failure vis a vis reasonable expectations and I suspect that most "knowledgeable" Sox fans will be delighted not to see his name in the lineup. Were it not for the huge money involved, he would have been "Renterriad" or "Lugoed" which is essentially the "eating of bad contracts."  Henry has done a lot of that through the years and it seems not to bother him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

His BB's contribute to the OPS

That coupled with his inability to hit w/ RISP explains his serious lack of RBI

and his occassional hitting streaks increase the OPS which of course is an average and does not measure how incredibly inconsistent he is

he was paid to knock in runs and he's failed miserably at that

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game. : If you are into such things and read Baseball Abstracts by Bill James and any of the other guys active in SABR you'd know that guys have been "twisting themselves in knots" why RBI (no s please) and BA are over rated long before Theo ever came to Boston. While it was poo-pooed here I think NU was the one who posted the RBI totals from 2007 for Pedey versus Lugo. And average? It matters alright but it is less important than OBP. If you have two players with a .380 OBP the one with the .300 BA is likely to be more productive than the one with the .240 BA. But if you have a .300 hitter with a .320 OBP and another is a .265 hitter with a .400 OBP, the guy who makes out 8% of the time less and makes himself eligible to score a run by getting on is more valuable. It is simple really. Now on the flip side, I do believe that if RBI are mater of luck, with Drew's career stats being what they are, he is an unlucky player indeed. But some years this is not without explanation once you dig deeper into the stats. In 2009 his OPS with RISP was .862, his OBP .399 but his BA only .213. Why? With RISP would you pitch to JD Drew or would you pitch to Nick Green and/or Jason Varitek? The pitchers ended up walking Drew 20% of the PAs with RISP in 2009, so their preference certainly can be inferred from that stat.  I can respect those who just think SABR is voodoo. But if you do, you are going to question the manager and the GM of the RS a lot as long as John Henry is the managing partner of the RS. Because he doesn't. Just my takes
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

1) I prefer to call it/them RBIs -- thanks, anyway.

2) Up until recently I thought I'd heard every excuse possible for Drew, from he's often injured to the strike zone went all strange (last year) to he would have been more productive if Tito would only put him in one spot in the order and leave well enough alone, but with all the moving around and everything, sheesh, how do you expect a guy to put up decent numbers?  And of course last year Age became a new factor.  I even heard a new one today on some radio show, where two guys were lamenting the fact that Drew hasn't yet gone on one of his famous hitting streaks this year.  One fellow opined that now that Drew is being platooned vs. righties, he might not get the day-to-day continuity necessary to trigger a hitting streak.  Maybe it's the platooning, in other words, that's preventing him from catching on fire.  Like last year it was the Age, strike zone, climate change, etc.

Now you've got a new one, and thank you for that.  He's been unlucky, RBI-wise.  Good gosh-o-mighty. Well done.  Let's add that to the pile.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The bigger question is will Drew go on the DL just in time for the trip to Phillie? 

They do not like Mr Drew in Phillie..........I actually look forward to hearing him get booed so I hope he doesn't Nancy it up and stays in the line up......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]The bigger question is will Drew go on the DL just in time for the trip to Phillie?  They do not like Mr Drew in Phillie..........I actually look forward to hearing him get booed so I hope he doesn't Nancy it up and stays in the line up......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I'd say he's got his arm around the pillow right now as we speak, and has already conjured up the earache that will keep him out of the series.  Notice how he was lifted today after the first at-bat?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No way he gets on the field in Phillie - no way..........

Sections
Shortcuts