6. Tris Speaker, CF (1907-15), Hall of Fame

5. Pedro Martinez, RHP (1998-2004)

4. David Ortiz, DH (2003-)

3. Babe Ruth, LHP, OF (1914-19), Hall of Fame

2. Carl Yastrzemski, LF, 1B (1961-83), Hall of Fame

1. Ted Williams, LF (1939-42, 1946-60), Hall of Fame

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Do you agree with Bob Ryan?Picking the 25 greatest Red Sox of all time

I can do without Garraciparra & Ramiriz ......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

These 'best of all time' list are a slippery slope.  Is it the best stats of all time?  Is it most championships?  I'd move pedey up a bit...close to top 10. 

Hard to argue with the top 5 but I noticed that 1 and 2 played with some EXCELLENT teams yet never led their team to a title.  Number 4 led his team to 3 and was a HUGE part of all 3. Hard to replace Ted at 1....but I'd kick 2 and 3 down and move the 3 time champ to 2.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Fred Lynn should be on the cusp (maybe number 26).  And what about Curt Schilling?  I know he didn't play in Boston very long and was injured some of the time, but what an impact!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Schilling needs to be on this list

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Pedey is way too low, manny the roid boy should be taken off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Picking the 25 greatest Red Sox of all time

25. Smoky Joe Wood, RHP (1908-15)

24. Mel Parnell, LHP (1947-56)

23. Dwight Evans, RF (1972-90)

22. Harry Hooper, RF (1909-20), Hall of Fame

21. Jimmy Collins, 3B and manager (1901-07), Hall of Fame

20. Nomar Garciaparra, SS (1996-2004)

19. Dom DiMaggio, CF (1940-42, 1946-53)

18. Dustin Pedroia, 2B (2006-)

17. Luis Tiant, RHP (1971-78)

16. Carlton Fisk, C (1969-80)

15. Johnny Pesky, SS-3B (1942, 1946-52)

14. Joe Cronin, SS and manager (1935-45), Hall of Fame

13. Bobby Doerr, 2B (1937-51), Hall of Fame

12. Cy Young, RHP (1901-08), Hall of Fame

11. Roger Clemens, RHP (1984-96)

10. Wade Boggs, 3B (1982-92), Hall of Fame

9. Jimmie Foxx, 1B (1936-42), Hall of Fame

8. Jim Rice, LF (1974-89), Hall of Fame

7. Manny Ramirez, LF (2001-08)

6. Tris Speaker, CF (1907-15), Hall of Fame

5. Pedro Martinez, RHP (1998-2004)

4. David Ortiz, DH (2003-)

3. Babe Ruth, LHP, OF (1914-19), Hall of Fame

2. Carl Yastrzemski, LF, 1B (1961-83), Hall of Fame

1. Ted Williams, LF (1939-42, 1946-60), Hall of Fame

[/QUOTE]

Hall of famers followed closely by those that were impact players for the franchise over long periods, followed by those that were here for a brief stint that won championships..Hard to argue with those on the list...but we don't win it in 2004 without Schilling 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ortiz over Tris Speaker; that's what you get for playing 100 yrs ago; he was also one of the greatest defenders ever, and has a bunch of rings himself. One could arguably put him at No. 2. Cy Young and Pedroia should be higher also. Manny over Jimmy Foxx is laughable. No love for Lynn or Ruth either. Honorable mention for Tony C, Radatz, and Lonborg; they were instrumental for turning the franchise around, albeit short lived.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

rico petrocelli

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These 'best of all time' list are a slippery slope.  Is it the best stats of all time?  Is it most championships?  I'd move pedey up a bit...close to top 10. 

Hard to argue with the top 5 but I noticed that 1 and 2 played with some EXCELLENT teams yet never led their team to a title.  Number 4 led his team to 3 and was a HUGE part of all 3. Hard to replace Ted at 1....but I'd kick 2 and 3 down and move the 3 time champ to 2.....

[/QUOTE]

Disagree. In the end, it is a team game. Yastrzemski's postseason OPS is higher than Ortiz FWIW. So Yaz did his job in the postseason. In 1967, the Sox faced one of the best pitchers of all time (Bob Gibson), and the Cardinals needed him to win three games. Neither Cardinals team nor the Rockies had a pitcher anywhere close to Bob Gibson.

And in 1975, while the Sox could have won, the Red were far superior competition than anything Ortiz's Sox did on the postseason.

And if it were not for the wild card, the 2004 title might not have happened. The Sox had 97- and 99-win teams that didn't make the playoffs because of no wild card. Had there been a wild card team back then (and there were the same number of teams in the AL in 1977 and 1978 as there were in 2004), maybe the Sox would have won something in the 1970s.

This is a list of the top players, not players who played on the best team. The best individual players. Postseason performance is important, but you can't penalize or reward a guy because he played on better teams.

I have no problem with the list. Schilling didn't play long enough IMO to crack the top 25. And while Lynn was great, I can't find a player I'd drop so I can add Lynn -- or Schilling for that matter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Let me add ... the only possible change to add Lynn would be to drop Nomar out of the top 25, especially if you think Nomar might not have been clean.

And the more I think about it ... it is a change I MIGHT (still haven't decided) make.

Four years for Schilling with the Sox -- and just two full seasons healthy as a starter --- still isn't enough despite two W.S. titles.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yaz is a god in this town and he hasd a great career, was a plus defender and won a Triple Crown / MVP in one of the greatest seasons ever.

However, no offensive player did more for the success of the Boston Red Sox in history than David Ortiz.

If we are talking about total careers then yes, Yaz and Teddy Ballgame.  More valuable? Ortiz all day long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Clemens= lots of Ks and personal accomplishments.

Schilling= 2 WS wins.  Winner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Rico absolutely should be on that list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Duplicate

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Schilling needs to be on this list

[/QUOTE]

Yup!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz over Tris Speaker; that's what you get for playing 100 yrs ago; he was also one of the greatest defenders ever, and has a bunch of rings himself. One could arguably put him at No. 2. Cy Young and Pedroia should be higher also. Manny over Jimmy Foxx is laughable. No love for Lynn or Ruth either. Honorable mention for Tony C, Radatz, and Lonborg; they were instrumental for turning the franchise around, albeit short lived.

[/QUOTE]

Gentleman jim, one of my favorites!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Without shill no WS, and he had, one could argue career ending surgery to take the mound.  How many players do you know who would do what he did?  Not many I would think.  Shill should be on the list.

He was brought to boston to bring a long over due ring and he did what he was asked to do.

The man is a boston ledgen as should be on the list.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Babe Ruth absolutely should not be third. He was a great pitcher who was only here 6 seasons at most. His basis is rings I'm sure. Look how many great players in the history of baseball and other pro sports have not won rings??????I am getting so sick of that as a criteria. Let me start in baseball. Ernie Banks, Willie McCovey, Yaz, Ted, Mattingly. I know there are others. Football Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, and many others. Basketball-Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone. And what Babe did with the Yankees should have nothing to do with what he did here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Let me add ... the only possible change to add Lynn would be to drop Nomar out of the top 25, especially if you think Nomar might not have been clean.

And the more I think about it ... it is a change I MIGHT (still haven't decided) make.

Four years for Schilling with the Sox -- and just two full seasons healthy as a starter --- still isn't enough despite two W.S. titles.

Nomar is the best shortstop in the history of our team. Absolutely top 25. Love him or not, Clemens should be higher and possibly over Pedro. One person does not win it all for you. It is a team game if I'm not mistaken. One player doesn't win it all. Our only example of one two players carrying a team on it's back is Yaz and Lonnie in 67. Look at it this way. Greg Maddux is one of the greatest pitchers of all time. Better then Curt Schilling. But in the post season Greg has been a dissapointment while Schill has been phenomenal. If I'm listing greatest pitchers, I would have to rank Maddux over Schilling despite that. But.....who would I want for a big game.....I would have to go with Schill. But I would still rank Greg over Curt higher in the list by looking at the big picture.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I fail to see why being on a championship team should be given much weight as a criteria. Everyone who played between 1919 and 2003 did not get a ring. Championships are won through team effort and being on the right franchise at the right time.

[/QUOTE]

So I guess you think the Dan Marino is a better QB then Brady?  Face it people....you're wrong when you say that championships should not weigh as much.  Ortiz is a 3 time champ and DID play against some of the best....or is Rivera not the best reliever of all time?  Verlander is nothing? etc etc..... Yaz was my favorite....but he was on a lot of losing teams....look at the numbers.  Ortiz is a champion..... but that's ok...I understand...many of you prefer great stats over rings...that's cool.......if you're a moron that can't let go of the past....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Any time you make these kind of lists it will cause controversy. This is true no matter who you might name. The only thing I can feel sure of is that Ted Williams was the best ever. After that, rate them any way that suits you. He did not win a championship because there were other , more talented teams during his era. In team sports, that is how it goes. 

Sections
Shortcuts