Do you agree with Boston.com's Eric Wilbur?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Do you agree with Boston.com's Eric Wilbur?

Would have been a better article if they waited two days to see if the Sox will actually fallout of the post season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

"Red Sox fans don't wonder if the team can win any longer, but how it is going to lose next. Last night it was the Great Robert Andino's inside-the-park home run that magically disappeared out of Jacoby Ellsbury's glove. Tonight...who knows? It's like playing Red Sox Collapse Bingo. Let's go with Marco Scutaro error in the seventh. "

It was a shame that the ball came out of Ellsbury's glove but that's baseball. Does it warrant or justify the above columnist for staging a kiddy tantrum over it? An adult would attribute it to "tough breaks". The author must be targeting the part of the fanbase that loves to scapegoat and assign blame.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

good point jesseyeric

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the b's collapse was in one series ,not a whole month of choking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

The writers are loving this collapse.  It writes itself.  The other night Abraham wrote in the Extra Bases blog something like "See what it's like when a catcher has a strong, accurate arm.  Romine hosed Crawford."  They are lapping up hating on these guys and this team.  It's sad. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Ninety percent of the threads and posts here are lapping it up also. Only Dr. Phil would understand why supposed fans love to come here and bash their team. Makes you wonder if the "fans" are mostly "concern trolls" or closet enemy fans?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I enjoyed the article but it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to the worst collapse in Red Sox history:

1. Buckner...one word says it all
    2. 2003 Pedro! Thanks skipper!

These 2 are far above the rest. I wrote this season off along time ago and do not want them to mkae the playoffs and get embarassed. This team has some major, major problems and needs a complete overhaul. Keep the young pieces, out with the old, new GM and manager. Let's start fresh and rebuild the right way. Absolutely pathetic (and not surprising) end to a good start to the season!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

This could've waited until Thursday when the season is over. Anything can happen but with the Yankees clinching the best record in the AL they can play their AAA players and rest their key starters. This is also a way for the Yankees to hose the Red Sox. I would like to see them win their last 2 games but I don't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

you're still blaming buckner? get over it. there were plenty of gaffes in game 6-schiraldi throwing nothing but hits, stanley's wild pitches,no stapes at 1st.

A collapse takes more than one game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It is the worst collapse in Boston Sports history.

But it's far from the biggest sports disappointment.  The 2003 ALCS, 86 WS, 2007 Superbowl.  The 1980 High School Cross Country State Championship - we lost by 2 points.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Boston.com's Eric Wilbur?:
    It is the worst collapse in Boston Sports history. But it's far from the biggest sports disappointment.  The 2003 ALCS, 86 WS, 2007 Superbowl.  The 1980 High School Cross Country State Championship - we lost by 2 points.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Agreed, it is the worse, substantively.
    But if this happened prior to 2004, they (we) would be in a long line waiting to jump off the Tobin Bridge..
    The spectacular decade of Boston sports championships softens the blow ... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I can't completely blame Buckner but the ball did go BETWEEN HIS LEGS!!! However, i do agree, and most people forget that the score was 5-5 and we still had a very good chance of losing even if Billy makes that play. If you want to say that this collapse is different from disappointment then sure it is the worst multi game collaspe that I can remember in my lifetime. This is about as bad as opening 10-1 in the NFL and then losing 5 straight embarassing blowouts to not make the playoffs. I think the Jets did that once?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannimota. Show mannimota's posts

Is this team likable?  Not really sure.  Aside from Ellsbury and Pedoria, who else seems to be showing any real heart out there.  

It's hard to get a sense of their team personality.  Couple that with the fact that they were actually in first place less than a month ago and inspire so much hope, it's understandable how they elicit the ire of fans and writers.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Boston.com's Eric Wilbur?:
    It is the worst collapse in Boston Sports history. But it's far from the biggest sports disappointment.  The 2003 ALCS, 86 WS, 2007 Superbowl.  The 1980 High School Cross Country State Championship - we lost by 2 points.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Agree that losing the Super Bowl was the most disappointing loss in Boston sports, followed by 1986 World Series, 2003 ALCS and the Celtics not winning in 2010, (it took me the entire summer to get over the Celtics not winning) For fans who don't watch basketball, they only lost by 4 points.  Remember this the most since it was the most recent disappointment of Boston sports teams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

This thread is bringing back a lot of painful memories. When the Pats lost I couldn't sleep for 3 days (really, not exaggerating!) That one really will never be outdone. The C's loss a few years ago was terribly painful especially losing to the Lakers and Kobe after blowing a 13 point lead. Everyone has their sport of choice but I would gladly trade the Sox 2004 or 2007 Championships for the Patriots perfect season. With the Sox, let's rip the bandaid off and start making some wise financial decisions!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

I do believe that in the Buckner game that the point being made is that there were many other scapegoats. Is this a difficult concept to grasp? Spend a few moments and digest what is being said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

The thing with the Pats in the SB loss to the Giants was the shock factor.  History was on the verge....18-0 then...19- **poof** gone. It's not like they showed up and got beat 46-10 (that's another team).  That game hurt because we thought history was to be made and that we'd likely never see it again. 

The RS have simply played lousey since the last week of August.  Unprecedented.  Worse than the '64 Phillies (never thought anything could be that bad).  It actually bizarre.  The NY Yankees literally had no pitching and now who's laughing.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I agree 100%.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Write now Wilbur is righting his apology.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Wright now, I don't what is wight as I am wighting this post.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Correct that this writes itself - it's too preposterous to be invented by someone.  Only real life could be this exaggeratedly horrible.

Wilbur's disgust is one you hear from others - Nick Cafardo, never known for seeking controversy, has thrown everyone but Theo's grandma under the bus recently.

And why not?  A great many of these players simply aren't battlers.  They lack spirit and backbone, and those who are around them every day and also understand the pathetic emotional overinvestment of the fanbase call them out.

The Red Sox lack courage; they are spoiled; and now the Gods despise them.  You bet it writes itself.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts