Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.

Please help settle an argument that has been going on. Even with all of Ellsbury's heroics and wonderful season, if you were the Sox GM and Seattle called and offered you Felix Hernadez for Ellsbury and a prospect would you do it?
    Drew, Conyngham, Penn.
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.

Yes, not anything against Ellsbury, but an elite starting pitcher is always more important than a centerfielder.

Of course, then I'd regret my family naming one of our new puppies Jacoby Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.

Hernandez is established and a former Cy Young award winner (2010).  I'm not sure the Mariners would take Jake and a player to be named later.  I think Ellsbury can keep doing this, but also think it's still just one great season until he repeats. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

very tough decision glad I'm not the guy who would have to make that decision. An every day player with a lot of talent now blooming to get an every 5th game pitcher who will win 15+ GAMES.  I think I'd actually want them to give me a PTBNL and not the other way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would but only because I already have Crawford. Done deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Yes, and a free membership to API and hgh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yes. In  heartbeat.

Any time you can trade a position player for a front-line pitcher. The PTBNL could be a pitching prospect.

But would Seattle make the deal?  Why would they?

Etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Of course

The only players you don't pair Ells with for Felix are Beck, Lester, Buch, Youk, AGon and Pedroia.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Of course I'd trade Ellsbury in that deal, instantly.  But it would never be offered.

But if one wants to make absurd trade proposals everybody can go.  Would I trade Pedroia for Bartolo Colon?  Of course not.  Pedroia for Cano, Granderson and two major prospects? Of course.  That proves nothing other than anybody can make absurd trade proposals?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Would Seattle trade Franklin Gutierrez and a prospect for Adrian Gonzalez?

I would think so.

Since the start of the 2009 season, Gutierrez has been valued at 8.8 WAR* while Ellsbury, who is only seven months younger than Gutierrez, has been valued at 8.4 WAR. Of course, their trends are headed in opposite directions.

Two years ago the Mariners reportedly turned down a better Boston offer for Felix Hernandez when the righthander remained under his team's control for only one year and two months:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html

The value of Hernandez has only increased since he won a Cy Young Award and signed a contract extension through 2014. The Mariners would certainly get older in the trade discussed in the Cafardo chat because Ellsbury is over two years older than Felix Hernandez (and remains under his team's control only through the 2013 season).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you really, really, really, want Hernandez:
    Ells, Youk, Buch  in addition a choice of one other minor leaguer other than Middlebrooks or Rinaudo.

How much do you want him????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.:
    [QUOTE]By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff Please help settle an argument that has been going on. Even with all of Ellsbury's heroics and wonderful season, if you were the Sox GM and Seattle called and offered you Felix Hernadez for Ellsbury and a prospect would you do it? Drew, Conyngham, Penn. Yes. Yes. Yes.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

Not unless Kalish had established himself as a solid major league CF.  The Mariners would probably never offer their best SP for a CF anyway, but it's an interesting thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.:
    [QUOTE]Yes, not anything against Ellsbury, but an elite starting pitcher is always more important than a centerfielder. Of course, then I'd regret my family naming one of our new puppies Jacoby
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

i'd rather an elite everyday player. Els is making his mark now and won't need any throw in player. Would have to be King Felix and prospect for Els.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Ells is my fav player but King Felix might be the only player i would trade him for...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hard to not want Felix in a Sox jersey. He is the one pitcher other than Cliff Lee that I would take in a Tennessee milisecond

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hernandez ain't going any where...if he were Ells would be a guy they'd love Hill55, Guiterez is a great defender but he'd struggle if they let him put the ball on a tee. Ell's profiles a the perfect fit for Safeco...the problem as I see it is that we'd also have to include our 3 best prospects and maybe even Buccholz...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo? He would trade Ellsbury and a prospect for Felix Hernadez.:
    [QUOTE]Of course I'd trade Ellsbury in that deal, instantly.  But it would never be offered. But if one wants to make absurd trade proposals everybody can go.  Would I trade Pedroia for Bartolo Colon?  Of course not.  Pedroia for Cano, Granderson and two major prospects? Of course.  That proves nothing other than anybody can make absurd trade proposals?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

how is that an absurd trade proposal? 

An allstar centerfield with plus power for his position and insane speed. How many players in the league can steal 60-70 bases a year, hit .300 and hit 25 homers? And considering that ichiro is probably pretty close to retirement seattle could used a franchise outfielder. I would do the deal if i am theo only because we have crawford as another poster mentioned. Granted we would have to find someone to replace ells but that can be done. Maybe even grady sizemore assuming he hits free agency which he likely will. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Only and ONLY if I was 95% certain that I couldn't retain Ellsbury........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

All of you people that are jumping on this deal ask yourselves this would you trade Adrian Gonzalez for King Felix and then go look at Ells line and Gonzos line then get back to me!!!!!!!!

All things equal IF I can keep Ells here awhile I WOULD!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

insider, Sox had Adrian Beltre, Jason Bay, Victor Martinez, and didn't want any of them. No one it seems is irreplaceable on Sox. That's why the 142 million spent on CC will haunt us all. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Wont haunt me!!!!!! I could care less how much they pay CC !!!!!!!!!! There is no hard cap in baseball and no shortage of money in the Red Sox wallet !!!!!! As far as Beltre they just wanted Gonzalez more and in my opinion Victor and Bay are nowhere near the talent of ELLS!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

YES!!! ELLS IS DOING GREAT THIS YEAR, HIS CONTRACT YEAR, NOT SURE IF HE EVER PRODUCE LIKE THIS AGAIN. IF IT IS TRUE IT WOULD BE AWESOME! WE CAN THEN SIGN BELTRAN FOR A COUPLE YEARS TO FILL CF. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

That's a very very tough call. May depend on who the prospect is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ells is not in a contract year lol. He has like 3 arb years left. But thanks anyways. I think the guy you are referring to is jose reyes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]ells is not in a contract year lol. He has like 3 arb years left. But thanks anyways. I think the guy you are referring to is jose reyes.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    Jacoby Ellsbury remains under his team's control for another two years (through 2013) while Felix Hernandez remains under his team's control for another three years (through 2014).