Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine

Gabe Kapler

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

My only question to Nick is...."Where Francona accepted a lot of input from Epstein and the front office"   According to Shaughnessy, that wasn't the case and he frustrated John Henry. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Nick Cafardo is an idiot and recycles other writers' ideas.

I do like Bobby Valentine though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I couldn't agree less. Two playoff appearances in 15 years as an MLB manager. Had two good years with the Mets. Fired twice in Japan. What Cafardo and others see in this guy completely escapes me. But I guess he's on TV, so he's flavor of the month.

Best name I've seen so far is Tony Pena.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't agree less. Two playoff appearances in 15 years as an MLB manager. Had two good years with the Mets. Fired twice in Japan. What Cafardo and others see in this guy completely escapes me. But I guess he's on TV, so he's flavor of the month. Best name I've seen so far is Tony Pena.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd you're saving me from posting about Valentine. There's a reason he had to go to Japan to manage. To say he wouldn't be a good fit in Boston, is more than an understatement. He'd last all of two weeks...if that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE SPARE ME/US .......  VALENTINE IS LIKE THE "BIG O".....  A DIVIDER & FINGER POINTER !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Yeah I'd say Tony Pena..or John Farrell, but I know he's probably not an option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Valentine is a clown and I GUARANTEE they are not looking at him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine:
    [QUOTE]  PLEASE SPARE ME/US .......  VALENTINE IS LIKE THE "BIG O".....  A DIVIDER & FINGER POINTER !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    I always heard Oscar Robertson was a fine teammate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Valentine or Pena, but bring rick peterson with them for pitching coach and bring back paul lessard as the trainer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

damarlo hale. and yeah, I think that cafardo and shank shannasshole both suck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

It's too bad Farrell isn't still around. I think he'd be a great candidate. He seems scary enough to fix what are clearly some serious issues in the clubhouse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

not sure about Bobby V..he was a grating prsence on ESPN and I don't trustthat smile...

but if half the bushwah we are hearing is true,  the new Skipper is better bring a whip and a chair

and the 2012 Sox motto should be: " Don't Tase me, Skip!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He should stay at ESPN. I like him there.

Jim Leyland is our man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

An emerging problem in this discussion is that how do we hire a tough Manager who is a puppet for John Henry and Theo? That notion seems a huge disconnect. I totally agree we need a tough Manager who under no circumstances will put up with any player's sophomoric behavior, but of the available candidates who fits that mold, which one is willing to be a puppet and is a Sabermatics disciple? I have no idea.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

OH GOD, NO!

I DID LIKE BOBBY V BEFORE I HEARD HIM TALK ON ESPN ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS AND HE JUST DRIVES ME NUTS.

AND I'M ALREADY NUTS.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

CAPS INTENDED ....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]He should stay at ESPN. I like him there. Jim Leyland is our man.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

By far and away the best option I've heard.

I read it, Moon, and something said, "Yeah, that's the ticket."

But we will never again have the closeness that Theo and Tito had ....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No on Valentine! Manager does not have a great deal to do with success over a 162 game. Playoffs are a different story. Players leadership and GM acquisition, dumping and retention of players is the primary factor in 162 game success.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think Carfardo wiffs here. The enxt manager will still be a person with a strong command of BABRmetrics and will apply that to his managing from line-up construction to in game tactics. This team has been built that way from low A to MLB since 2002. The manager's tactics need align to the way players have been developed and the criteria on which they are acquired.

Now to some extent the chemistry and commitment issues aren't as big a deal as the media has and will make them out to be, at least in terms of correcting them. It was going to be hard for Francona who had set a culture in place that had worked for years to set a different tone.

But for a new manager this will be easier. Francona's departure will intensify self-policing for one thing and no team really goes very far if the room doesn't have that element in it. Those who are truly crest fallen by Terry's fate will intensify their voices. Many who were problems will self-reflect and change. Others will modify their ways believing there is a target on their backs. And with a few one on one's in ST for those lagging behind will probably clear the air.

But somebody's ability to understand the data the RS use, how they believe it should be put into action will be the key criteria IMHO and in this regard Valentine is a total non-fit. That and he'd be a car wreck with the media and the RS have become quite comfortable with how Francona handled being the voice of the organization.

Just my take

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]  PLEASE SPARE ME/US .......  VALENTINE IS LIKE THE "BIG O".....  A DIVIDER & FINGER POINTER !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

That describes you to a "TEA", Bill.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I don't see Valentine as a good fit. He should keep the job he has now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bootis4745. Show bootis4745's posts

Roll The Dice - Take A Chance!

Could we do any worse than this Year?

If it doesn't work out consider it a Rebuilding Year.

This Undisciplined Mob needs to get straightened out and some players in this Toxic Mix should be let go ASAP. I know that is easier said than done, but we need to start somewhere and sometime, like now.

Maybe Bobby V can get it done???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Could we do any worse than a guy who won two world championships in eight years? Yeah, probably.

Sections
Shortcuts