Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine

No Valentine!  I cannot even begin to think of him as an option.  I shudder to think, actually.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

somebody that gets pi s s e d. more ejections.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Ryan Sandberg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

Showalter would leave Baltimore in a heartbeat for this job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from indysox11. Show indysox11's posts

pudge fisk, he would beat the sh*t out of the lazy loafers, i mean he went after yaz for not running ground balls out........plus he would fight all the opponets too it would be great tv

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Valentine is know-it-all jerk. Bring in Leyland or La Russa.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine:
    Showalter would leave Baltimore in a heartbeat for this job.
    Posted by murphylo

Buck working for/with Theo after his preseason comments. That would be...interesting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

whoever takes the job will be one of two types. someone with a name that loves a challenge or someone desparate for a chance/job. what has happened to tito would make any name manager want to clean out the clubhouse. no one with a rep like valentine is taking this job without knowing what happened and who done it and when will they be gone. i dont think you want another grady little, so a no name just seems unlikely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

According to all the early reports if Theo is still here Hillman will be given strong consideration,however there seems to be a question as to whether Theo will still be the GM. So then you are looking at replacing the GM as well as the Manager. It could get very interesting!!!! By the way the guy in the Sox front office supporting Valentine is probably Larry Lucchino.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Buck Showalter and Jim Leyland are under contract with other teams. Tony La Russa will likely be extended by the Cardinals. Let's be realistic here.

DeMarlo Hale is as big a part of the problem as Terry Francona in the sense that he was a member of the coaching staff that lost control of the team. He won't be respected, and his preexisting relationships with various players will make it difficult for him to project a sense of fairness in his leadership. The 2012 manager needs to be someone from outside the organization.

The only reasonable names I've read or heard so far are Tony Pena and Joe Torre, with Pena being a better choice between the two because of his younger age. Torre would ask for a lot of money and probably wouldn't want to manage for more than a couple years. If the Red Sox are eyeing a younger guy for Torre to groom as an eventual replacement, then maybe a short-term deal would be mutually acceptable to them. If not, then they need to find someone with more vigor.

I don't know much about Ryne Sandberg as a manager. He's apparently been very successful at the minor league level. As a player, he was obviously among the best to ever play the game, which ought to command instant respect and credibility. He probably deserves an interview.

Peter Macklin receives a lot of attention as bench coach of the Phillies, as does Dave Martinez with the Rays. It can't hurt to invite them for interviews. Keep in mind Joe Maddon was a "mere bench coach" before the Rays plucked him for the top job and he's worked out fantastically well for them.

Don Baylor is a former manager and ex-Red Sox player with a reputation for toughness. I don't know if he's a numbers guy. If he is, he might merit consideration.

That would be my short list for now: Joe Torre, Tony Pena, Ryne Sandberg, Peter Macklin, Dave Martinez, and Don Baylor. I think I'd ultimately pick between Pena and Sandberg.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is Gordon Edes list from ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7041416/theo-epstein-tough-task-replacing-terry-francona

Here are some of the possible candidates:

Joe Torre
    TORRE
    Joe Torre

-- 5th in all-time wins (2326)
    -- 2nd in all-time playoff appearances (15)
    -- 4 World Series wins
    -- Current executive vice president of baseball operations for MLB

Bobby Valentine
    VALENTINE
    Bobby Valentine

-- Last managed the New York Mets in 2002
    -- In 7 years with the Mets, average finish was 3rd place, including one World Series appearance.
    -- Never finished in 1st place.
    -- .534 winning pct with Mets.
    -- Current baseball analyst for ESPN

Tony LaRussa
    LaRUSSA
    Tony La Russa

-- Managed 16 seasons for the Cardinals (longest current tenure in MLB)
    -- Most games managed in Cards history (2591), most wins (1408)
    -- 4-time manager of the year
    -- 3rd all-time postseason wins (59)
    -- 3rd all-time wins (2728)
    -- Two World Series wins

Joe McEwing
    McEWING
    Joe McEwing

-- Manager at Triple-A Charlotte (White Sox) in 2011, went 69-74
    -- Manager at Class-A Winston-Salem (White Sox) in 2009-10, went 154-123 and finished 1st both years
    -- Hitting coach at Triple-A Charlotte (White Sox) in 2008
    -- Played 9 major league seasons, hit .251 with 25 HRs and 158 RBIs in 754 games
    -- Named top managerial prospect in South Atlantic League by Baseball America in 2009.
    -- Signed a minor league deal with Red Sox in 2007 before retiring the next January.

Pete Mackanin
    MACKANIN
    Pete Mackanin

-- Phillies bench coach 2009-11
    -- Reds interim manager in 2007; at time of his hiring, team had worst record in NL, had 2nd-best record in NL during his tenure (41-39) including 5 series sweeps
    -- Pirates interim manager in 2005 (12-14)
    -- Pirates bench coach 2003-05
    -- Expos third-base coach 1997-2000
    -- Managed 13 minor league seasons from 1985 to 2001, his teams finished 1st or 2nd on eight occasions
    -- Went 917-849 and won league championships in 1995 (Ottawa, International League) and 2002 (Lynchburg, Carolina League)

DeMarlo Hale
    HALE
    DeMarlo Hale

-- Red Sox bench coach 2010-11
    -- Red Sox third-base coach 2006-09
    -- Rangers first-base coach 2002-05
    -- Managed Texas' Triple-A Oklahoma club to 2nd-place finishes in its division in 2000 and 2001
    -- Went 491-471 in seven seasons as minor league manager in the Red Sox system from 1993-99, reaching postseason 3 times
    -- His 1999 Double-A Trenton team was named minor league team of the year by Baseball America
    -- Batted .267 with 26 HRs, 206 RBIs and 67 steals in 482 minor league games

Torey Lovullo
    LOVULLO
    Torey Lovullo

-- Blue Jays first-base coach 2011
    -- 9 years as manager in minor leagues (2002-10), going 661-609 with six different teams
    -- Finished 1st in first four seasons as minor league manager, won league title in 2004 and 2005
    -- Played 303 major league games with the Tigers, Yankees, Angels, Mariners, Athletics, Indians and Phillies, hit .224 (165-737)

Eric Wedge
    WEDGE
    Eric Wedge

-- Mariners manager in 2011 (67-95)
    -- Indians manager 2003-09 (561-573), won AL Central in 2006 for only postseason appearance (lost to Red Sox in 7 games in ALCS)
    -- Manager at Triple-A Buffalo 2001-02 (178-108), made playoffs both years, including finals in 2002
    -- Manager at Double-A Akron 2000 (75-68)
    -- Manager at Single-A Kinston 1999 (79-58), made Carolina League playoffs
    -- Manager at Single-A Columbus (59-81)
    -- Played 39 games in the major leagues with the Red Sox and Rockies, hit .233 (20-86) with 5 HRs

Alan Trammell
    TRAMMELL
    Alan Trammell

-- Diamondbacks bench coach in 2011
    -- Cubs bench coach 2007-10
    -- 35th manager in Tigers history, went 186-300 from 2003-05
    -- Padres first-base coach 2000-02
    -- Tigers hitting coach 1999
    -- Tigers SS for 20 seasons, hitting .285 with 2,365 hits, 185 HR and 1,003 RBIs
    -- Second in MVP voting in 1987
    -- MVP of 1984 World Series which Tigers won in 5 games; hit .450 (9-20), 2 HR, 6 RBIs

Joey Cora
    CORA
    Joey Cora

-- White Sox bench coach 2007-11
    -- White Sox third-base coach 2004-06
    -- Manager of Class A Savannah (Montreal Expos) in 2003, going 58-80
    -- Manager of Kingsport (New York Mets Advanced Rookie League) of the Appalachian League in 2001-02, going 54-79
    -- Played 11 major league seasons with the Padres, White Sox, Mariners and Indians, hit .277 with 30 HRs, 294 RBIs, 624 runs in 1,119 games

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

From the above blurbs, I'd say Mackanin definitely deserves consideration. Some of the others don't impress me the least bit. Joe McEwing? For real?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bill James, Henry, Theo approach to winning baseball games is an absolute must, but to reply only, or primarily on stats, for the very most part, is a mistake.  There must be a balance between the Bill James, Henry, Theo stat approach AND old time baseball smarts, such as, but not limited to.... in game managing strategy, small ball, playing guys who have a "hot bat", and/or OBP (Scuttoro in September) higher up in the order, not having a weak/cold bat (Lowrie) batting 4th in front of your best hitter, not having Bard as the absolute, automatic 8th inning guy (Bard had a terrible, unlike Bard September), playing guys in the outfield who can't hit a cut off man (Crawford/Reddick), having guys who can run steal, or try for the extra base when its called for (Els, Peddy, Crawford), not guys like Gonzalez, or Ortiz, who in particular tried to stretch a single into a double at a critical time of a game and got thrown out (again), to a Manager and/or Coach who will call out a player in the privacy of the club house, a Manager who will not be afraid to say it like it is to players, especially the "old timers" and "fat cats",  who don't run out grounders, or screw up in any other way, etc, etc.  That's why I think a guy like Bobby Valentine would be just what the Doctor ordered, and if that were to be, with full backing of Mr Henry and the GM, whom ever that may be, it would be a refreshing splash of cold water on players/club house needing it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

how's bout GREG Valentine, the wrestler from the 80's?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

JOHN FARRELL WOULD BE PERFECT!  AND, IT MAY TAKE GIVING UP A TOP PROSPECT FOR HIM...BUT, I WOULD DO IT!

AGAIN...GO TO HELL, JOHN HENRY, GO TO HELL!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Most of the New York press either gagged or laughed when George Weiss hired Casey Stengel to manage the Yankees in 1949.  Casey has been managing the Oakland Oaks of the PCL, regarded as close to an exile from baseball as possible while you're still in uniform. Casey had a reputation as a loser when he managed the Dodgers and the Braves, as a clown, as an umpire-baiter ( he was almost banned from baseball when he managed the Toledo Mud Hens ), as a disaster with the press, in part because he made monkeys out of reporters. What Weiss really knew was that Casey was a highly intelligent man, a shrewd student of the game, an innovator, and a manager who brooked no nonsense from his players. In Toledo he kicked off the team players who dogged it. 
    Weiss and Casey had the last laugh. Weiss also knew that Casey, for all the other stuff, was reputed to be a brilliant teacher of the game. When my coach was in high school, Casey was his mentor during winter baseball in Griffith Park. Rod called him the best mind in the game. On occasion Rod would invite Casey to hold court in the living room. It was quite a show. 
    There are some similarities between Casey and Bobby Valentine, and, of course, many differences. No, I am not saying that Valentine would be my first choice for the job.  I don't have a preference because I don't know enough about the prospective candidates, or others. But the idea that he might be considered is not on its face outlandish.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine:
    Most of the New York press either gagged or laughed when George Weiss hired Casey Stengel to manage the Yankees in 1949.  Casey has been managing the Oakland Oaks of the PCL, regarded as close to an exile from baseball as possible while you're still in uniform. Casey had a reputation as a loser when he managed the Dodgers and the Braves, as a clown, as an umpire-baiter ( he was almost banned from baseball when he managed the Toledo Mud Hens ), as a disaster with the press, in part because he made monkeys out of reporters. What Weiss really knew was that Casey was a highly intelligent man, a shrewd student of the game, an innovator, and a manager who brooked no nonsense from his players. In Toledo he kicked off the team players who dogged it.  Weiss and Casey had the last laugh. Weiss also knew that Casey, for all the other stuff, was reputed to be a brilliant teacher of the game. When my coach was in high school, Casey was his mentor during winter baseball in Griffith Park. Rod called him the best mind in the game. On occasion Rod would invite Casey to hold court in the living room. It was quite a show.  There are some similarities between Casey and Bobby Valentine, and, of course, many differences. No, I am not saying that Valentine would be my first choice for the job.  I don't have a preference because I don't know enough about the prospective candidates, or others. But the idea that he might be considered is not on its face outlandish.
    Posted by expitch

Fascinating stuff. It often takes a visionary to see a diamond in the rough.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Leyland turned us down once before...I can't remeber exactly when...but he did.  I think his wife didn't want to come here or something to that nature.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

expitch .... do u still play baseball?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

expitch...let me clarify...I've seen a couple of your posts and you make alot of sense.  Just trying to picture if you are Schill Bill Lee or Dick Mills.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo: hearts should be set on Valentine : Fascinating stuff. It often takes a visionary to see a diamond in the rough.
    Posted by harness
    As long as I've dragged Casey into this discussion, I'll tell a funny story that might be entitled facetiously "Casey and Me."
    One year he ( ahem ) "invited" several of his players to a pre-ST camp at Casey Stengel Field ( where else? ) in Glendale. He also invited his pal Rod to bring his boys to "scrimmage" with his boys. ( Casey had brought the Yanks to the SC campus in 1951 for a game. Yogi was there. DiMaggio was there. Rizzuto was there. And a rookie named Mantle, who hit two homers, one a gargantuan blast. The Yanks won 13 to 1. On Monday, Rod said, typically, "You didn't make any mental mistakes." ) In Glendale, Rod instructed us pitchers not to throw Bill Skowron a FB in the strike zone.  One kid, who had a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain, didn't listen. Moose hit a shot over a big gulley beyond the leftfield fence and deep into an adjacent parking lot. I was all ears. So was my pal Jerry, who was behind the plate. Jerry's plan was to start Moose with FB's well off the plate inside and, get ahead if Moose would buy, then work junk low and away. Moose was a free swinger. He bit -- and pulled the FB's a mile foul. ( Still made me wince. ) Both times AB he dribbled changes and sliders back to me. ( Thank God, they were not line drives. ) The second time, as he was running to first, he yelled at me, "Throw the [ bleeping ] ball."
    In our shower room, I was amazed to see a naked old guy, with bumps on his bowed legs, coming my way. He poked a bony finger into my chest, and said, "You little sh t. You liked to break my big guy's back." With that, he toddled back to his own shower room. ( I guess both were really his, since the park was named after him. ) We were all dumfounded. Afterwards, Rod said, "Casey loved it." Yeah, well if I'd been wearing pants, he would have scared them off.
    BTW, all those bumps on his legs, some looking the size of baseballs, came from his days as a wild man on the basepaths. He was a man to steal a base. He was also a very good outfielder and a respectable batter. Long before he was a master in the dugout, he could play the game. So much for people who have said that he wasn't very good. He played fiercely.
    So, Harness, not only was he a diamond in the rough, but he was also a rough on the diamond. Sorry about that.
    In those sessions in Rod's living room, he'd be mock tough with us kids -- but we saw the twinkle in his blue eyes. Rod said, "Casey loves young players. Loves to work with them." One of them was named Mantle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

expitch...let me clarify...I've seen a couple of your posts and you make alot of sense.  Just trying to picture if you are Schill Bill Lee or Dick Mills.
    Posted by schwank
    I haven't pitched in a game for a very, very long time. The last time I even tried to play catch, with a friend's kid, I thoroughly embarrassed myself. So much for "My friend will show you a few tricks." Big mouth, that father. Even worse, me not bowing gracefully to the cruel realities of age. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I din't even bother to read the article. Valentine is a loser. If the Smilin'Sage becomes Mgr, this 87 year old  life-long fan in gone, until HE's gon e. What a joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Uh, uh.

Say no to Valentine's Day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In a word no. The first guy to get an interview should be Demarlo Hale.

Sections
Shortcuts