Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong

Nick Cafardo/Boston Globe

The Red Sox have discussed the possibility of Adrian Gonzalez playing the outfield in the upcoming nine-game interleague trip, starting Friday in Pittsburgh.

The Sox would never consider a reporter’s advice, but if asked, this man’s answer would be a resounding, “Don’t do it!’’

The goal, of course, is to get the hot David Ortiz playing time in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Houston. That’s understandable. But baseball players can get injured at any time, doing anything. Gonzalez could get hurt while playing the outfield, just as he could get spiked by a runner at first base or pull a hamstring trying to leg out a triple.

You might be thinking, “C’mon, a professional ballplayer should be able to play the outfield for a game or two.’’ But it’s different when you’ve played just one of 930 career games in the outfield, six years ago. In that game, playing right field for the Rangers on Sept. 30, 2005, Gonzalez committed a throwing error.

It’s always fun to watch players play out of position. Like the time Mike Greenwell had to catch, or the time Jose Canseco pitched. It wasn’t so nice for Jerry Remy, who went from second base to right field during a game in Cleveland and tore up his knee.

OK, it’s a negative way to think, but what’s worse: Holding your breath that Gonzalez might get hurt or having Ortiz sit for up to nine games and pick your spots as a pinch hitter? The second option is the better one.

While Gonzalez made it clear yesterday that he would be willing to move to the outfield, you know he was just being a team player. There’s probably no chance in Hades that Gonzalez wants to patrol right field at PNC Park or Citizens Bank Park or Minute Maid Park.

“I’ve done it before and if I was approached on it and Tito [Francona] wanted to do it for a couple of games, I’d be OK with it,’’ Gonzalez said. “I know I’m not an outfielder and I wasn’t an outfielder, but if it meant to get Papi in the game and get him a few more games, it’s definitely something I would do.’’

Gonzalez is a noble man and he meant what he said.

“I played one game in Texas and I played winter ball [in right field]. I’ll do whatever is needed for the team,’’ he said.

The Red Sox have a lot of offense. More than most teams. Even without Ortiz, they can easily go into a National League ballpark and have a better lineup than the team they’re playing.

National League teams like Philadelphia and San Francisco and Atlanta have an average to below-average offense and win a lot of games with very good pitching.

There’s no question that the Sox are at a disadvantage without the DH. But who would sympathize? You play the schedule.

Using Gonzalez in the outfield and Ortiz at first base would weaken the Sox at two positions. Not the best alternative.

It’s understandable that the Sox probably feel a little short on offense with Carl Crawford and Jed Lowrie on the disabled list. But between pinch hitting and replacing Gonzalez when the Sox have a big lead, Ortiz may get a few more at-bats than first expected.

Nobody wants to break up the offensive mojo the Sox have going right now.

“Everybody knows hitting’s contagious and the last few weeks we’ve been able to do really good things offensively and everybody feeds off of that,’’ Gonzalez said. “And everybody is able to have good approaches. I’ve always said when you’re facing the long relief guy for the fourth, fifth, or sixth inning it’s a lot easier than the setup guy in the eighth. That makes hitting easier as well.’’

There’s obviously great karma with Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis, and Ortiz in the middle of the order, another reason you’d even consider such a drastic move.

Gonzalez is also a very experienced first baseman in the NL.

“In the National League you got the pitcher, the bunt situations, and a lot of things like that, so there’s a lot of different aspects in that sense,’’ said Gonzalez. “I was always an aggressive first baseman, which was taken away in the American League here because of the bunt situations.’’

Sometimes it is the little things that win games, not necessarily the big bat.

Take that chance, not the one that puts your best player in peril.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong

I'm not worried about an increased opportunity for injury.

Is added Papi Offense worth a Huge Defensive drop at 1B and RF(or LF)

In the end its only the run differential that matters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong:
    [QUOTE]I'm not worried about an increased opportunity for injury. Is added Papi Offense worth a Huge Defensive drop at 1B and RF(or LF) In the end its only the run differential that matters.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to risk an injury to AGon by playing him out of position.  Not even to keep Papi in the lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Crawford, Jenks, Lowrie, and plenty of others have hurt themselves playing their normal game in their normal positions.

One could hurt themselves just as well in practice and simple training exercises.

Increased injury RISK is pretty insignificant...outside of a bruised ego perhaps by some gaffe on a routine play.

I'm not really FOR this idea though myself simply because I don't think the OFFENSIVE increase will dwarf the DEFENSIVE liability. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I really dont want to see Gonzo in RF..I think this offense is so potient, you can split playing time..As long as the pitching is on, this shouldnt be a concern..Just another reason I dont care for interleague play..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Makes no sense to play Agon in the OF. None. This team isn't hurting in the standings and there's plenty of offense to sit one or the other any given night. Has Adrian even had a day off yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from benn. Show benn's posts

Gonzalez in RF

Fielder in 1B

in 2012

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IT IS A ROLL OF THE DICE FOR SURE !!  HOWEVER, YA CAN'T GO 9 GAMES WITHOUT YOUR D H PLAYING. ALSO, I HATE TO SAY IT, BUT EVEN A-GON CAN'T PLAY ALL 162 GAMES !!  TITO WILL WORK IT OUT !!  WE ARE SPOILED ALREADY WITH A-GONS PRODUCTION !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

no way does Tito put Agon out in right field. I'm sure that Tito will figure how to split time with the two sluggers during this trip.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Man, A-Gon in RF is a disaster waiting to happen.  I don't care if he just sprains an ankle, it is not worth the risk at all.  A-Gon is need on defense in these NL games, and he is used to hitting NL pitchers.  Ortiz will have to wait for his opportunities and make the best of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Personally I would not move Gonzo to right. He's a gold glove first basemen, keep him there. Sorry David, but even without you, we have a better lineup than anyone were going to play. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Even A-Gon concedes that he is slow of foot.  He can catch a ball, true, but he has to get to it first.

Not a bad idea, necessarily, but not a great one either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Play both of them every day at 1B. Papi for half then Agon for half, or, alternate them. Let Agon play 5 and Papi 4 games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

No!! Adrian could not get to any balls in RF unless they were hit directly to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Personally I can't see it happening. A-Gon hasn't had a day off yet so I would suspect we will see him get one or two games off during the 9 game road trip. Ortiz will be limited to pinch hitting in between but that is a very potent pinch hitter because a DH is a pinch hitter that gets 3-5 PAs a game.

And with the pitcher hitting those opportunities will increase greatly. While the RS may have considered the option and be tempted because their OF production aside from Ellsbury is challenged and compounded by the Crawford hammy, in the end IMo they will take the conservative route and use the interleague road trip to get A-Gon a couple of days off.

The greatest single complication for Tito will be how hot Adrian is. When a hitter is this hot the players doesn't want to sit and the manager doesn't want to sit him either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Cafardo:An interim move to right for Gonzalez would be wrong : It doesn't make sense to risk an injury to AGon by playing him out of position.  Not even to keep Papi in the lineup.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I agree especially since Ortiz is barely adequate at 1B. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Play AGonz at 1B for most part, and let Papi spell him some relief in some game.  Afterall, AGonz has played in all the games so far, and he could use some resting.  Say 2-3 games in the 9 game road trip.

When AGonz or Papi are not in the lineup, they could PH in a situation that warrants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

come on.  this guy has been playing baseball all of his life.  certainly he can play the outfield for a couple of games even if he is not the best of outfielders.  his injury rate does not go up because he will chase a few fly balls around.

are you going to sit big papi if he continues to hit like he has for the rest of the season in the world series, too?

injuries can happen in baseball and are not guaranteed because of what position a guy is playing.  puljos just broke his arm playing "his" position.  buchholtz got hurt last year running the bases, youkilis injured his thumb swinging a bat, pedroia hit a ball off his foot, ec, etc and those are only a couple of examples.

there have been hundreds of "hitters" who have stood around in the outfield for years and the general opinion was always that their bat far outweighed their bad/mediocre/terrible defense.  vladimir guerrero comes to mind in recent years.  should youkilis and pedroia no longer be allowed to hit because they got hurt hitting last year?

just let him go out there and shag the routine balls like so many other big hitters have done over the years.  guaranteed, he has a fielders glove already in his bag.

gonzalez may not be a first class outfielder like he is a first baseman, but having  another .320 hitter with almost 20 HRs and over 50 RBIs in the line up is huge over a 9 game stretch. 

let drew, cameron and/or mcdonald handle the pinch hitting for the pitcher and if papi's bat is not needed late in the game francona can pull the double switch to improve the late inning defense at two positions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

In the series against the Astros and Pirates, AGon plays 2 in each and Papi plays 1  No need for both of them in the lineup.  Especially against the Astros.  My goodness the PawSox can beat them!

Against the Phillies, AGon plays all 3 with Papi off the bench.

Case closed.

Sections
Shortcuts