Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

Agree. I believe you should run out everything. No excuses.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]by Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe ..."Old-schoolers like me believe it’s not the way you play the game. Act like you’ve been there before. If you’re going to admire homers, stare at a guy who throws a first pitch a little inside, swing at 3-0 pitch with a 10-3 lead in the eighth, and fail to run out your popups and grounders, somebody might call you on it. We all applauded madly when Carlton Fisk called Deion Sanders a “piece of [expletive]’’ and told him to run out a popup. How is this different?"
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

How is this different?

NINE SEASONS with the Red Sox

310 HRs, 985 RBIs ... ,287 BA, .959 OPS ....

AND ONE MOMENT OF IRRITATION GETS HIM LABELED LIKE THIS?

EXACTLY WHY I PERSONALLY CANNOT STAND CHB's "style" ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Apparently Dan is on his soapbox again..He threw 3 pitches inside, with the 3rd being the obvious one trying to hit him. I wouldve tried to hit the ball on the Mass turnpike if that happened to me too. He hit a routine fly with runners on. he did nothing he hasnt does for years, which is drop the bat and trot down the line. Most guys in MLB know this and know he isnt trying to show anyone up. Gregg was sent out there to do a job. Hes a closer coming in the 8th in a mop up situation, and just happend to be the biggest guy? Then the 180mil comment just like good ol' Bucky said in ST? yeah, that wasnt planned (sarcasm).  The hustle "theory" in this situation is weak IMO..Dan is painting a black and white picture when there is a grey area he forgets to include..Like the circumstances of the situation..Showalter can change a losing mindset, but just cant win on the field..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : How is this different?   NINE SEASONS with the Red Sox    310 HRs, 985 RBIs ... ,287 BA, .959 OPS ....    AND ONE MOMENT OF IRRITATION GETS HIM LABELED LIKE THIS?    EXACTLY WHY I PERSONALLY CANNOT STAND CHB's "style" ....
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I guess you conveniently forget about when he popped off at the reporters last year....or when he denied that he took PED's. He's a phony and everyone but members of the red flops nation such as yourself knows it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : I guess you conveniently forget about when he popped off at the reporters last year....or when he denied that he took PED's. He's a phony and everyone but members of the red flops nation such as yourself knows it.
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

I guess you conveniently forget you're supposedly a NYuck fan ... but you INSIST on hanging here.

The conversation isn't with you.

But remarkably, you can remember things that Boston players do even years earlier.

But still, it's a Boston sportswriter about a Boston player and you ... are what???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]by Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe ..."Old-schoolers like me believe it’s not the way you play the game. Act like you’ve been there before. If you’re going to admire homers, stare at a guy who throws a first pitch a little inside, swing at 3-0 pitch with a 10-3 lead in the eighth, and fail to run out your popups and grounders, somebody might call you on it. We all applauded madly when Carlton Fisk called Deion Sanders a “piece of [expletive]’’ and told him to run out a popup. How is this different?"
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Shaughnessy is a tool.  He does not even belong on NESN since he is not even a fan of the Red Sox.  His greatest disappointment is Boston made that amazing comeback in 2004.  It screwed up his plan to write another book, "The Curse of the Bambino Continues."   I refuse to read his column or listen to a single word he utters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Look, CHB is a jerk and we all know it.  Since when is Papi the first player to admire a homerun.  Go look at Reggie during the all star game in Detroit or any home run in the world series.  This is all nonsense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : How is this different?   NINE SEASONS with the Red Sox    310 HRs, 985 RBIs ... ,287 BA, .959 OPS ....    AND ONE MOMENT OF IRRITATION GETS HIM LABELED LIKE THIS?    EXACTLY WHY I PERSONALLY CANNOT STAND CHB's "style" ....

Yeah, but he was doing it before he hit 310 home runs. And Ortiz does it all the time, standing there and watching his home runs. This wasn't just one moment with Ortiz.

Some people are going to disagree simply because they don't like Shaughnessy. But Dan is right. I love Papi as a player, but he does pizz me off when he stands and watches his home runs. And not just him. All players who watch their home runs. We've seen a few times where players lose an extra base because the ball didn't go out and they weren't hustling from the start.

Swing the bat and run, regardless if it's a home run, fly ball or routine grounder. Ortiz runs hard when he knows it's not going or is going to be an out which is great, but there have been situations where had he been hustling out of the box, he might have had 1B when the fielder bobbled the ball or made a bad throw or had an extra base when the ball didnt go out (or the fielder made an error).

As for the Gregg situation, I had no problem with Gregg sending a message on the first pitch. But don't come inside on the first pitch, even more on the second pitch and even more on the third pitch, then whine later that you weren't trying to hit him. At least be man enough to admit what you were doing instead of sounding like a big crybaby.

I'll say the same thing to Gregg as he said to Ortiz -- play the game right. If you're going to hit the guy, hit him with the first pitch. Don't miss and try two more times then whine when he swings on 3-0. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : I guess you conveniently forget you're supposedly a NYuck fan ... but you INSIST on hanging here. The conversation isn't with you. But remarkably, you can remember things that Boston players do even years earlier. But still, it's a Boston sportswriter about a Boston player and you ... are what???

The conversation is with anyone who posts here.

And you are what....a blind homer? So that makes your posts here or time here more relevant than mine? You are starting to sound like piker aka kim.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

If after being thrown at 3 straight times, had Ortiz blasted one into the seats he should cartwheell arond the bases. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Well, sorry to bring this up SY, but Girardi was irritated by Ortiz' antics as well about a month ago, FWIW. Here's guessing you remember that. The point is, it's not an isolated incident; so Dan's opinion is not completely out of LF.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Girardi can be annoyed if he wants.  Annoyance is partly a product of getting beat on a particular day.  Buck was annoyed for the same reason.  As I said, to think this is a Papi only issue is not being realistic.  Plenty of players do the exact same thing.  Albert Puljos does it on every HR.  Arod, same thing.  This is much ado about nothing.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Yeah, but he was doing it before he hit 310 home runs. And Ortiz does it all the time, standing there and watching his home runs. This wasn't just one moment with Ortiz. Some people are going to disagree simply because they don't like Shaughnessy. But Dan is right. I love Papi as a player, but he does pizz me off when he stands and watches his home runs. And not just him. All players who watch their home runs. We've seen a few times where players lose an extra base because the ball didn't go out and they weren't hustling from the start. Swing the bat and run, regardless if it's a home run, fly ball or routine grounder. Ortiz runs hard when he knows it's not going or is going to be an out which is great, but there have been situations where had he been hustling out of the box, he might have had 1B when the fielder bobbled the ball or made a bad throw or had an extra base when the ball didnt go out (or the fielder made an error). As for the Gregg situation, I had no problem with Gregg sending a message on the first pitch. But don't come inside on the first pitch, even more on the second pitch and even more on the third pitch, then whine later that you weren't trying to hit him. At least be man enough to admit what you were doing instead of sounding like a big crybaby. I'll say the same thing to Gregg as he said to Ortiz -- play the game right. If you're going to hit the guy, hit him with the first pitch. Don't miss and try two more times then whine when he swings on 3-0. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree Roy, I would prefer to see Papi, and every other player, run hard out of the box on every ball put into play.  If a batter is going to 'style', then he really shouldn't be surprised if he is thrown at during a later at bat, not that I agree that it is okay for a pitcher to do so in that instance.  But I do understand it.

If the pitcher doesn't like having moonshots hit off of him, he should make better pitches.  And, if a pitcher does throw at a batter in that type of situation, then his team should expect, and rightfully so, some retaliation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Absolutely right, Fielder, Howard, too many to list.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I hadn't even thought of them but perfect examples!  If everyone wants old school, then hit each of the stylers upon their next plate appearance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Girardi can be annoyed if he wants.  Annoyance is partly a product of getting beat on a particular day.  Buck was annoyed for the same reason.  As I said, to think this is a Papi only issue is not being realistic.  Plenty of players do the exact same thing.  Albert Puljos does it on every HR.  Arod, same thing.  This is much ado about nothing.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

I agree, I was just pointing out to SY that this wasn't the only incident, based on him saying it was an isolated incident; blown up as it may be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Shaughnessy is probably just laying the ground work incase Ortiz leaves next year. Then he can write one of his "now that he's gone, here's why you should be happy to see him go and why you shouldn't have liked him in the first place" stories that everyone else gets on their way out of town.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]Girardi can be annoyed if he wants.  Annoyance is partly a product of getting beat on a particular day.  Buck was annoyed for the same reason.  As I said, to think this is a Papi only issue is not being realistic.  Plenty of players do the exact same thing.  Albert Puljos does it on every HR.  Arod, same thing.  This is much ado about nothing.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

So because other players do it that makes it ok?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : The conversation is with anyone who posts here. And you are what....a blind homer? So that makes your posts here or time here more relevant than mine? You are starting to sound like piker aka kim.

What are you doing here anyway?  You don't care what Sox fans think about anything, right?  How miserable do you have to be to hang out amongst people you don't even want to talk to? 

FTR, I can't speak for all Sox fans here, but Yankee fans who continually try to group Sox fans together who question Yankee fans here will never have any effect on me. That might have worked in the past, but the past is over.

Get a job, get a life, get a girlfriend, get a wife...whatever. Just find something to do with your life other than what you do here.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : What are you doing here anyway?  You don't care what Sox fans think about anything, right?  How miserable to you have to be to hang out among people you don't even want to talk to?  FTR, I can't speak for all Sox fans here, but Yankee fans who continually try to group Sox fans together who question Yankee fans here will never have any effect on me. That might have worked in the past, but the past is over. Get a job, get a life, get a girlfriend, get a wife...whatever. Just find something to do with your life other than what you do here.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

LOL....so being an overweight middle aged house frau who comes in here just to complain about other posters and throw around Yankee fan conspiracy theories is quality time in your book?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : LOL....so being an overweight middle aged house frau who comes in here just to complain about other posters and throw around Yankee fan conspiracy theories is quality time in your book?

KIm, now you know how it feels when he calls me a sawx fan. (Of course, he blew his BS pike cover, unless he thinks pike is a twisted 50 yr old 400 lb female)

Babe------ or whatever idiotic name you are these days, I shall save you a post. But you are a sawx fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : KIm, now you know how it feels when he calls me a sawx fan. (Of course, he blew his cover, unless pike is a 50 yr old 400 lb female in his eyes) Babe------ or whatever idiotic name you are these days, I shall save you a post. But you are a sawx fan.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

LOL...you continually bash the Yanks and praise the sawx and you are from NH....not too hard to figure out that you are a member of the red flops nation.

And pike is a 50 yr old 400lb woman who goes by the name of kim

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : LOL...you continually bash the Yanks and praise the sawx and you are from NH....not too hard to figure out that you are a member of the red flops nation. And pike is a 50 yr old 400lb woman who goes by the name of kim

Nice BS on the fly to cover your mistake; however, I suggest you go hit on pike; sounds like good mating material for you if you can pull it off; good luck !!

Sections
Shortcuts