Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : LOL....so being an overweight middle aged house frau who comes in here just to complain about other posters and throw around Yankee fan conspiracy theories is quality time in your book?
    Posted by --The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe that you calling me a middle aged house frau makes me one? LOL

I'll complain about anything I want. You put it up, it's my right to comment on it.  Don't want a comment, don't put it up. As for Yankee fan conspiracry theories, I'm willing to bet there are no other team boards on the entire Internet that have rival team fans make their team board their home. Nowhere -- as in not anywhere. Only Yankee fans seem that arrogant and "entitled" to set up camp on a rival team's board, and spend 24/7 of every day of their lives there. You're the one that's odd. jsyk

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Do you honestly believe that you calling me a middle aged house frau makes me one? LOL I'll complain about anything I want. You put it up, it's my right to comment on it.  Don't want a comment, don't put it up. As for Yankee fan conspiracry theories, I'm willing to bet there are no other team boards on the entire Internet that have rival team fans make their team board their home. Nowhere -- as in not anywhere. Only Yankee fans seem that arrogant and "entitled" to set up camp on a rival team's board, and spend 24/7 of every day of their lives there. You're the one that's odd. jsyk
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe that you calling me a middle aged house frau makes me one?

No, but being an overweight middle aged house frau does make you one. jsyk.

I'll complain about anything I want. You put it up, it's my right to comment on it.

LOL...that's classic coming from someone that wants the rights of other posters to post here taken away. Think much before you post?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : No, it shouldn't hurt coming from me, but it should pain you when you glance in the mirror. And your constant rants about who should post here are what I'm tlking about, not whether you have reported anyone, pike.

Oh. Another good one. You really got me there. lol

Again, what part of I'll give my opinion about anything I want don't you understand?  And the fact you think I'm a guy says more about you than it does about me. Don't start crying now, I know how bullies can really be very sensitive.
     CryCryCry ^---Babies

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : LOL...exactly my point. You think you should be allowed to give your opinion but yet you don't think others should be allowed to voice theirs. Geez you really are a dumb broad. Are you blonde by chance? I never said you were a man. You may look a little mannish, but never said you were a man, pike.

OMG. The trifecta. You managed to add "dumb broad", a blonde joke, and even threw in your tired old I'm Pike routine. Extra points for the effort, dude. Seriously. That really must have taken a lot of brain power on your part, and let's face it, how much do you really have to spare?  lol  Just keeping it real.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : OMG. The trifecta. You managed to add "dumb broad", a blonde joke, and even threw in your tired old I'm Pike routine. Extra points for the effort, dude. Seriously. That really must have taken a lot of brain power on your part, and let's face it, how much do you really have to spare?  lol  Just keeping it real.

Well....if the shoe fits.......Just keepin' it real.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Well....if the shoe fits.......Just keepin' it real.

Do you know I have family who live on the beach -- in multiple states. Do you know what they're not doing? Sitting on a computer monitoring a rival team's message board. Hell, I don't know anyone who lives on the beach who spends their time the way you do. Just thought you should know to give you some perspective on what your life could be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Yeah, I think Dan got this one right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : LOL...well considering that it's 88 out with oppressive humidity that makes it feel like it's 99 out, I'll take the comforts of indoors with the a/c. I spent a good portion of the day yesterday at the beach. See, when you live on the beach it's not a must do. When you live in a miserable place like you and only have a limited amount beach days I can understand the need to make every beach day count. That's not the case down here. Do you have a problem when you go to the beach with the other people constantly trying to roll you back in the water? And one thing I know your family is not doing.........talking to you. They must dread when your name shows up on the caller ID. 

OMG. It's so true. Everyone hates me, and I'm so enormous they hate having to drag me back up to the shore. It's terrible.

And I'm so sorry that humidity (LOL) keeps you away from the beach. Maybe one day you can go to a beach and see that humidity is not that big of an issue given the ocean breeze, and, of course, there's always the water. But you might not know that since you never go to the beach. I'm sorry, I mean the beach you live on. I just thought I'd help you out, and maybe get you to give it a try since it's right at your door, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : That's nice aside from the fact that there's almost no breeze to speak of and the little that there is is coming from the south east...it, much like you, is nothing but hot air. Not too mention that the water is like bathwater at this point in the summer, not that you would know anything about a bath anyway. I'm sorry that you live in a miserable place and are jealous of where I live. I wouldn't think they would drag you back to the shore as much as they would try to roll you back into the water. I'm all for saving the whales.

You know, they do the best they can with me being enormous and all. What more can you expect? Although, they do let me occasionally be on the beach, and I have to tell you, humidity is not really a complaint of mine. Maybe you should see someone about that though, seeing as you chose to live by the water, and never really want to be near it. That seems to be your mantra no matter what the season, so I'm not sure it's all about weather. Could just be you don't really actually live on the beach, and just don't realize it yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Well, sorry to bring this up SY, but Girardi was irritated by Ortiz' antics as well about a month ago, FWIW. Here's guessing you remember that. The point is, it's not an isolated incident; so Dan's opinion is not completely out of LF.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Girardi was annoyed because the Yanks were on their way to being swept at the Stadiuim.  On their way to losing 8 of 9.  Plus Swisher forgot to bring him a spicy meatball grinder before the game. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : So because other players do it that makes it ok?

"OK" is a matter of who decides what is "OK".  It used to be "OK" to drill anyone you wanted whenever you wanted.  It is no longer "OK".  So, I don't know the answer to your question.  I guess it is not ok but many players do it.  Maybe the Sox should DFA Ortiz because he doesn't run out every ball.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk :   "Stylers"...?? ..is that what "hot dogs" are being called now..?? Ortiz is hated by pitchers for his bat flips and whining at called strikes. You know it, we all know it...and he should run everything out, just like he learned when he was a kid. Likeable guy, but a whiner. If he were a Yankee, that's all we'd be hearing/reading  here...
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

I simply added the "ers" to the word style.  Please don't read more into it than there is.  If he is a hot dog, so what!  Do you think you are the first guy to realize that the guy on your team gets a pass?  Do you think I would love Youk if he were on the Yanks?  Again, this whole thread is a waste of breath.  BTW Papi doesn't complain about strikes any more than any other player.  If you think he does prove it.  Does any other player flip his bat?  I watch Torii Hunter do it all the time, Fielder, Howard, Reggie, Arod, Puljos, and on and on.  Please get over it.  And if the pitchers don't like it, police it.  But when you do, be ready to take your own medicine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Maybe Papi should walk out the mound and give the pitcher a hug instead. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Shaughnessy is and always will be a WANNA BE! Not only that he is not even a good writer, who cares what he says? My understanding is that he was so unathletic he could not play T'Ball!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk:
    [QUOTE]by Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe ..."Old-schoolers like me believe it’s not the way you play the game. Act like you’ve been there before. If you’re going to admire homers, stare at a guy who throws a first pitch a little inside, swing at 3-0 pitch with a 10-3 lead in the eighth, and fail to run out your popups and grounders, somebody might call you on it. We all applauded madly when Carlton Fisk called Deion Sanders a “piece of [expletive]’’ and told him to run out a popup. How is this different?"
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    DAN OSHAUGHNESSY is a RAG WRITING HACK!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : DAN OSHAUGHNESSY is a RAG WRITING HACK!
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

He has spent so much time on bar stools that he's written off as a tax deduction for furniture. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : Yeah, but he was doing it before he hit 310 home runs. And Ortiz does it all the time, standing there and watching his home runs. This wasn't just one moment with Ortiz. Some people are going to disagree simply because they don't like Shaughnessy. But Dan is right. I love Papi as a player, but he does pizz me off when he stands and watches his home runs. And not just him. All players who watch their home runs. We've seen a few times where players lose an extra base because the ball didn't go out and they weren't hustling from the start. Swing the bat and run, regardless if it's a home run, fly ball or routine grounder. Ortiz runs hard when he knows it's not going or is going to be an out which is great, but there have been situations where had he been hustling out of the box, he might have had 1B when the fielder bobbled the ball or made a bad throw or had an extra base when the ball didnt go out (or the fielder made an error). As for the Gregg situation, I had no problem with Gregg sending a message on the first pitch. But don't come inside on the first pitch, even more on the second pitch and even more on the third pitch, then whine later that you weren't trying to hit him. At least be man enough to admit what you were doing instead of sounding like a big crybaby. I'll say the same thing to Gregg as he said to Ortiz -- play the game right. If you're going to hit the guy, hit him with the first pitch. Don't miss and try two more times then whine when he swings on 3-0. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% roy.  I hate when he argues a strike call.  It drives me nuts. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

royf19 I wanted to say this on my own but knew people here would say I was "bashing". I agree with you, and I too am grateful to gave Ortiz on the team.

He presents an attitude many at bats wehter he hits a homer or gets called out looking.  That is all I will say as you said it perfectly well already.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I may have missed this part, but did Dan call out Gregg at all for trying to take out Ortiz's ribs on 3 straight pitches?  Or for shouting at him as he popped out? Did Gregg act like he's been there before?  Did Dan mention at all the quote about payroll?

Seriously, I hope Ortiz hits the homerun that wins this year's WS, stands to admire it, and then I get to read DS's column the next day.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : How is this different?   NINE SEASONS with the Red Sox    310 HRs, 985 RBIs ... ,287 BA, .959 OPS ....    AND ONE MOMENT OF IRRITATION GETS HIM LABELED LIKE THIS?    EXACTLY WHY I PERSONALLY CANNOT STAND CHB's "style" ....
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Steroids go a long way in Fenway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Dan Shaughnessy: Memo to David Ortiz: Style at your own risk : OMG. The trifecta. You managed to add "dumb broad", a blonde joke, and even threw in your tired old I'm Pike routine. Extra points for the effort, dude. Seriously. That really must have taken a lot of brain power on your part, and let's face it, how much do you really have to spare?  lol  Just keeping it real.

This made me laugh. Priceless timing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I may have missed this part, but did Dan call out Gregg at all for trying to take out Ortiz's ribs on 3 straight pitches?  Or for shouting at him as he popped out? Did Gregg act like he's been there before?  Did Dan mention at all the quote about payroll? Seriously, I hope Ortiz hits the homerun that wins this year's WS, stands to admire it, and then I get to read DS's column the next day.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]

Love it. As a homer, I hope other teams suck it up.
    I agree with S.Y. - Papi has earned the right.

Furthermore, players know him, and most like and respect him. They realize watching dingers is a part of who he is. I'll take the fact he argues with umps (he's usually right. He's a great hitter who knows his zone) and doesn't run out
    pop-ups as part of the overall Papi-package.

Gregg is a wuss. And Shaughnessy would wet his panties if he ever stood up to those inside pitches.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxinCali. Show SoxinCali's posts

I will tell my kids one day about Papi's hr antics.

Just one of the many stories I will raise my kids up with from the RS seasons of past and future...

take it for what it is... showmanship (wether justified or not) and a love of the game.

We all will miss him in some capacity when he finally hangs up his cleats...