Do you agree with Massarotti:"Red Sox bullpen just won't cut it"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Re: Do you agree with Massarotti:"Red Sox bullpen just won't cut it"

[QUOTE]Old baseball adage:  Good pitching beats good hitting. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

And vice versa...

-Daf. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Not only did the relievers look bad in the 9th (let's not forget about Padilla giving up a run too), but it was the very bottom of Tigers lineup. I'm sure Morales, Molancon and Padilla will have no trouble at all facing Cano, AROD, Tex in Yankee Stadium. Go to Costco and get some TUMS for this long season.

Oh, on the bright side bullpens can be fixed as long as we don't fall too far back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Apparently, NY, Detroit, and Boston all are missing closers they can count on.

The Yankees also need an Ace too.  Who would have thunk these payrolls could be so short sighted?

Good stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Massarotti:"Red Sox bullpen just won't cut it":
    [QUOTE]Apparently, NY, Detroit, and Boston all are missing closers they can count on. The Yankees also need an Ace too.  Who would have thunk these payrolls could be so short sighted? Good stuff.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

I also can't understand why these GMs with college degrees in Law from Harvard and Yale can be so short-sighted and at least ask the other brains in the FO for advice. What is this world coming to when Joe the plumber knows more about running a baseball franchise than they do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

a) we have a 1b playing third b)we have a set-up man in the rotation c)we have a long-relief man as a closer d)we have a middle reliever as a set-up guy e) we have a color analyst as a manager. 1 game or 50 games in, I think we are in trouble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Massarotti:"Red Sox bullpen just won't cut it":
    [QUOTE]a) we have a 1b playing third b)we have a set-up man in the rotation c)we have a long-relief man as a closer d)we have a middle reliever as a set-up guy e) we have a color analyst as a manager. 1 game or 50 games in, I think we are in trouble.
    Posted by feelec[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the "beer man" selling hot dogs and the popcorn man selling peanuts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I believe you 6k

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day the plan was for Bailey to be our closer with Morales, Melacon & Aceves in the set up roles. It's been less than two weeks since the news of Bailey's injury became public. Bailey who oh by the way is a pitcher that has has success in the role of closer, who is now unfortunately on the DL..Perhap Mazz should have prefaced his column with now that Bailey's injured our bullpen could be in trouble in the long term. Instead he chose to draw paralells to the 2003 team. when in fact the circumstances today are competely different. Must have been bored...or he's just tuning up his glass is half empty the sky is falling doom and gloom schtidt....

Mazz your better than that and I gotta say I am not digging your new MO...

So did you (Mazz) ever consider that if you start with the end in mind. Now that Bailey's is injured, that Cherington has already begun to put together a list of names that might be available and when the time is right (Not many teams are looking to trade players in the first week of the season). If the need to add another are rises to the level of critical importance, I'm pretty sure he'll make a move. In the meantime I am also pretty certain that Cherington, Valentine and the ownership team have already discussed and laid out a senerio in which Bard would be relegated to the closer's role. Maybe just maybe you might give them a chance to plan the work, then work the plan...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Maz is right, there are weaknesses in the bullpen and one was created when they purt Bard in the rotation. I never liked Ozzie Guillen but he was dea d on with this clown Jenks who last year looked like he ate himself out ofbthebkea gue. not Cherrington's problem on that one, that was the boy genus' pickup. Melancon has pitched in the weak NL Division. looked lousy in Spring Training and put Aceves in a rough position on Thursday. If they ate going to compete, changes are going to have to be made there. We are going to see the heart and makeup of this team on this current road trip. I like Aceves in a role but have no confidence in him closing out a game in New York with Arod at the plate and runners out the way I did with Papelbon out there. Changes will be made when the starters do their job and the bullpen gives it yp in later innings. What peeves me off was they had a chance to get a good reliever in Scott Downs and passed him up to get that idiot Jenks last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Massarotti is saying the obvious. 

But think about this.  The bullpen was just as bad last month, by which I mean September 2011 when Bard was setting up for Papelbon.  That's the month when the Sox went 3 for 9 on saves and had a team ERA of around 5.4, the worst in MLB. 

And this.  Bobby V knows he has a problem, which is why he has 13 pitchers, one more than most MLB teams and two more than teams like the Tigers.  You can get by with 11 early on because of the off days, but not if you have been served mystery meat in the bullpen. 

I give Cherington for getting two closers in the offseason even though neither has worked out yet. 

Other thoughts.  Lester was a little lucky yesterday and certainly helped by three DPs.  Verlander was dominant.  Lester was not.  We were supposed to lose that game. 

And, speaking of bullpens, Valverde, Mr. 49 of 49 saves in 2011, gave up 2 runs in the 9th to blow a save for the Tigers.  And look at the Yankees, whose ace, Sabathia, was reached for 5 runs and whose ace closer Rivera gave up 2 in the 9th to blow a save and lose the game. 

What's different for the Sox, I agree, is we were all worried about the bullpen in spring training.  We're still worried.  But it's still just one game.  Aceves was darn good last year, as was Albers early on.  Morales looked fine Thursday.  Melancon should be fine.  It just might be a serviceable bullpen.  I personally hope Bard works out as a starter because he did not have that great a year in 2011 and he has never shown himself to be a good closer. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]And vice versa... -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

No, it is not vice versa. The adage has been proven true throughout the years and especially in the postseason that

"Good pitching usually beats good hitting".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Seems like buster olney agrees with him.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]
    kimpikesaysthis calzone65 UticaClub Rutland76 lowelll Ft.Meade LadyLake Melnick WaldoBelfast BeaconHill NatickNed ChrisHouse Kbev pollyanna nuncirom pawsoxphil Dangerfeld pike2 Your-Echo bambinobabe silversteinsox losmedialoco 6k42lt913c Bellhorn Law2009A SmellyBehind 

Babe, amazing collection of Pike's many screen names. Simply ridiculous. Thanks for keeping track of them, I am sure Pike has even forgotten a few of them
    Surprised