Do you agree with Peter Abraham? He says forget the playoffs; just try to finish with a winning record.And that being the case, gives some suggestions.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

Re: Do you agree with Peter Abraham? He says forget the playoffs; just try to finish with a winning record.And that being the...

Yes i think its a good idea. get value for what we might lose and give the kids a chance to maybe get an idea for the future

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Re: Do you agree with Peter Abraham? He says forget the playoffs; just try to finish with a winning record.And that being the...

Agreed. the best thing Bobby V and co. can do is STOP talking about being a playoff team...they aren't even a .500 team.  Accept the reality of this year, trade what you can trade, play the young guys, and look ahead to 2013.

I personally would rather keep Shoppach and trade Salty.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Why not tank the season and get a top ten pick???? Just kidding.....but seriously! (Ben Stiller in the movie dodgeball voice)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He's mostly right.  The rotation is broken, and the playoffs could well be out of sight.  Doubront should be shut down, granted.  Playing Lavarnway at C, agreed.  Trading Shoppach, ditto.  Sign or trade Ross, agree.  Council of leaders, silly.  Bringing up Iglesias to give us hope doesn't compute with Ciriaco already here and Bogaerts, a better prospect, now moving up to AA. 

Abraham's commentary is timely because these last three losses have reconfirmed how bad this team is.  Mostly, it's the pitching.  Last night it was again the pitching, but the hitting was like 1 for 13 with RISP.  Salty had his obligatory 3 K's.   Ellsbury in the 1st inning was sitting on 3B with one man out and the mighty, indomitable Pedroia struck out. 

Right now the Sox have one pretty good starter, Buchholz.  Beckett, Lester, Doubront, and Cook are all unreliable.  Morales is going back into the rotation, but he is not enough.

I honestly thing the offense is about to pick up, especially when Ortiz returns to the lineup.  But the pitching,  which right now has an ERA, 4.30, just a tiny bit better than 11th best KC's, will continue to make wins difficult. 

I don't completely disagree with trotternixon that the offense is important because it is.  But no offense can overcome a rotation this bad. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Oh, I also loved Abraham's apt phrase about the team in deep negotiations to surrender to their fate. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Abraham certainly has some points worth looking at.  His idea of a player's council probably should have been put into effect in the season when it was obvious that Valentine was struggling with getting the players into his corner.

I can agree with most of them.  The ownership does not want to pull the plug on this season which is exactly what they would be doing if they inserted Lavarnway and Iglesius into the lineup.

From their actions the other day (vote of confidence for Valentine) I predict that they will not do anything as far as making trades to get back some prospects for guys like Shoppach, Aviles, etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think he is basically spot on....this team needs to look to the future. If you can get Minor League Depth and future trade chips for some of the veterans who wont be here next year, makes total sense. Many on this board have been calling for this since before the 7/31 deadline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Have to agree with Abraham on all points.  It's over. Very discouraging to watch these games and see the team fall behind right off the bat , night after night. As for Doubront , he may be better suited to be a reliever. He seems to lack the stamina to be a starter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

But, but,...Bailey is almost ready to join the pitching staff! Surely he will make the difference!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The trading deadline passed.  So if you want to trade Ross, you can only trade him to the team that claims him.  Because of the inverse order of the standings rule, the team that claims him is probably not going to be in the playoff hunt.  This means they are not going to get prospects for him.

Regarding playing Bradley Jr, who do you bench?  Bench Ellsbury and kill his trade value?  Bench Crawford because he is finally looking like he has a little game left?  Bench Ross and ruin your chances of retaining him?

Inglesias?  If Inglesias was the future , we wouldnt have drafted Marrero.

The time to make a move has passed.  At the deadline , we should have either bought or sold.  Standing pat made a bad situation worse.  Its ugly, and I cant really think of any solutions.

Playing the kids is not a solution.  We dont have elite prospects.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The way they are playing who cares whether they have a winning record or not.  If they don't care why should we?  But things better change before next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Peter Abraham? He says forget the playoffs; just try to finish with a winning record.And that being the case, gives some suggestions.:
    [QUOTE]The trading deadline passed.  So if you want to trade Ross, you can only trade him to the team that claims him.  Because of the inverse order of the standings rule, the team that claims him is probably not going to be in the playoff hunt.  This means they are not going to get prospects for him. Regarding playing Bradley Jr, who do you bench?  Bench Ellsbury and kill his trade value?  Bench Crawford because he is finally looking like he has a little game left?  Bench Ross and ruin your chances of retaining him? Inglesias?  If Inglesias was the future , we wouldnt have drafted Marrero. The time to make a move has passed.  At the deadline , we should have either bought or sold.  Standing pat made a bad situation worse.  Its ugly, and I cant really think of any solutions. Playing the kids is not a solution.  We dont have elite prospects.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

I agree Drewski...The time to trade has passed...Sure, we can put guys on waivers and see what happens (maybe one will sneak by) and we can make a trade, but most teams will block the other ones...My guess is MAYBE we will get lucky on the waiver game, but most likely there will be a LOT of action this off season...I dont mind letting a few kids play this september and give a couple guys a little rest just to give the "kids" an idea of what its like, but probably nothing BIG will happen til this winter...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Win...Lose...Win...Lose...Win...Lose...OOPs, that would make a .500 record and I don't believe we are even a .500 team.  So many of the teams competing for a while card are at the 50-50% level and maybe that level will be enough for a wildcard spot.  And in a one game playoff with say Buchholz pitching, who knows if we'd get in for a 3 out of 5 I think in the next round.

I recall, different sport of course, the Seattle Seahawks winning a wildcard with under a .500 record in 2010 with a 7-9 won/loss.  But it was the mediocre western  division championship and 2 other teams with 10-6 records didn't make it. In fact, they hosted the previous year super bowl winner, the New Orleans Saints, and won their first playoff game.

Again, can the Sox get to .500 ? And will that be enough ? Dunno !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I agree with the forget the post season part, but not the part about disassembling the team.  Its a trite comment, but just play and try to win this one game each day, and don't worry about going on that long awaited 10 game winning streak that will get us back in the race.

Ross is someone you should try to keep, but why negotiate during the season.  Dubs should move to the pen for the rest of the year, not be shut down.  Morales takes his turn in the rotation.  At this point, what is to be gained by giving away Aviles, Shopp or others?  Only moves that clear significant future payroll should be considered.  As for the minor league prospects, I would rather most not be showcased.  If they already have solid market value, they can really only hurt their case.  Fixing the 2013 rotation will involve trades and those trades will include some of these key prospects.  Looking at the FA market and the current staff, there's really no other option.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

The following players need to be gone by the start of next spring training:

1. Beckett
    2. Punto
    3. Lackey ( I know that will be impossible, but one can only hope)
    4. Shoppach (only to get Lavarnway as the second or first catcher)
    5. Albers....oh that's right, he is gone already :)
    6. Sweeney
    7. Lester, if he doesn't get his head out of his a@@, or out of Beckett's a@@.
    8. I hate to say it, but probably Papi only because he wants too much money
       and he is breaking down.  High paid DHs are a thing of the past.
    9. Tim Bogar, if Bobby is going to be the manager.
    10. Gary Tuck....see #9.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree w/ most of it. This team is toast and not going anywhere. Time to let Lavarnway catch everyday. Doubront should probably be shut down. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Peter Abraham? He says forget the playoffs; just try to finish with a winning record.And that being the case, gives some suggestions.:
    [QUOTE] Regarding playing Bradley Jr, who do you bench?  Bench Ellsbury and kill his trade value?  Bench Crawford because he is finally looking like he has a little game left?  Bench Ross and ruin your chances of retaining him?  The time to make a move has passed.  At the deadline , we should have either bought or sold.  Standing pat made a bad situation worse.  Its ugly, and I cant really think of any solutions. Playing the kids is not a solution.  We dont have elite prospects.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury's trade value is what it is, he would not fetch what people think. But you keep him in the line up and have CC get his elbow taken care of. I agree they should've chosen a road at the deadline. Lavarnway should play everyday from here on out and Ciriaco should also as he has earned it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

whatever Peter Abraham.  you know who else has a "council of team leaders" or a "council of elders"?  that's right.  the god d@mn taliban. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with the forget the post season part, but not the part about disassembling the team.  Its a trite comment, but just play and try to win this one game each day, and don't worry about going on that long awaited 10 game winning streak that will get us back in the race. Ross is someone you should try to keep, but why negotiate during the season.  Dubs should move to the pen for the rest of the year, not be shut down.  Morales takes his turn in the rotation.  At this point, what is to be gained by giving away Aviles, Shopp or others?  Only moves that clear significant future payroll should be considered.  As for the minor league prospects, I would rather most not be showcased.  If they already have solid market value, they can really only hurt their case.  Fixing the 2013 rotation will involve trades and those trades will include some of these key prospects.  Looking at the FA market and the current staff, there's really no other option.
    Posted by phxvlsoxfan[/QUOTE]

Excellent Post!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts