Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer

The Red Sox inquired on Kansas City closer Joakim Soria, according to Rob Bradford at WEEI:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/12/17/sources-red-sox-called-on-kansas-city-closer-joakim-soria/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer

I think Bailey is going to be cost prohibitive, as his market value climbs daily while his intrinsic value stays where it is. 

Why is his value climbing?  Madson, KRod, Cordero, and Soria are still available.

Can anyone have imagined the Boston Red Sox not even being in a position to give consideration to Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Yu Darvish, et al? Wasn't it known that these players would be available this season, and might it not have been possible to have planned accordingly?

1-Did something happen to Gonzo that I am unaware of?

2-Who in their right mind would want the Pujols contract.  His and Gonzo's production should be about the same over the next 7 years, with Gonzo earning ~ $26M less, and then LAA gets stuck with a weak player for ~ $76M over the final three years.

Maybe the RS correctly anticipated this and astutely signed Gonzo when they did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

We couldn't afford Papelbon. Why can't people realize that and move on. Will Melancon replace him, who knows. Don't have a cow over it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer:
    [QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut : We already had a great closer in Papelbon. Do you agree that it was a mistake to let him go?
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't a "mistake."  He had zero interest in staying, which meant the Sox would have needed to significantly overpay past the ridiculous contract Philly gave him.  No way.

Melancon is an excellent addition and the deal was a sharp one.  He could be the closer, but even if not yet, its a great deal.  One more real-deal starter or experienced closer is all they need to add.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

There are no stud closers on the market. End of story. There are some fools gold profiles like Mad Dog Mad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Of course I realize we can only have one 1st baseman at a time Joe, just remarking about the staggering amount of talent drifting by us that we are unable or uninterested in going after. I do think we shoulda gone after Heath Bell, rather than trade prospects for Bailey, but you know where I stand there. I also am stunned we made,(as far as I know), no effort to bid for Yu. As for Gonzo and Pujol's production being the same over the next 7 years, I strongly disagree. I'd expect at least 100 more homers from Albert, and a 20+ point higher batting avg over the period. But make no mistake, I'd rather have him at our price than Albert at theirs. The real fun will be yrs 7 and above. Finally, I do find myself lusting after the talents of one Prince Fielder. He coulda been a monster at Fenway in our line-up, and we could have played him some at 1st on Gonzo rest days, and DH's him the rest. I know, I LOVE Ortiz and consider him a bargain. Just can't stop thinking of what he could do for us for the next 5 or so yrs at probably $18 per. I realize the pen needs to be our focus, but we'd be an almost mutant run producing team that could just club other teams into oblivion.

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer:
    [QUOTE]I think Bailey is going to be cost prohibitive, as his market value climbs daily while his intrinsic value stays where it is.  Why is his value climbing?  Madson, KRod, Cordero, and Soria are still available. Can anyone have imagined the Boston Red Sox not even being in a position to give consideration to Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, Yu Darvish, et al? Wasn't it known that these players would be available this season, and might it not have been possible to have planned accordingly? 1-Did something happen to Gonzo that I am unaware of? 2-Who in their right mind would want the Pujols contract.  His and Gonzo's production should be about the same over the next 7 years, with Gonzo earning ~ $26M less, and then LAA gets stuck with a weak player for ~ $76M over the final three years. Maybe the RS correctly anticipated this and astutely signed Gonzo when they did.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Of course I realize we can only have one 1st baseman at a time Joe, just remarking about the staggering amount of talent drifting by us that we are unable or uninterested in going after. I do think we shoulda gone after Heath Bell, rather than trade prospects for Bailey, but you know where I stand there. I also am stunned we made,(as far as I know), no effort to bid for Yu. As for Gonzo and Pujol's production being the same over the next 7 years, I strongly disagree. I'd expect at least 100 more homers from Albert, and a 20+ point higher batting avg over the period. But make no mistake, I'd rather have him at our price than Albert at theirs. The real fun will be yrs 7 and above. Finally, I do find myself lusting after the talents of one Prince Fielder. He coulda been a monster at Fenway in our line-up, and we could have played him some at 1st on Gonzo rest days, and DH's him the rest. I know, I LOVE Ortiz and consider him a bargain. Just can't stop thinking of what he could do for us for the next 5 or so yrs at probably $18 per. I realize the pen needs to be our focus, but we'd be an almost mutant run producing team that could just club other teams into oblivion. In Response to Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Years ago when I played the Monopoly Board game, I always wished that I owned :

Boardwalk
    Park Place
    Pennsylvania Ave.
    North Carolina Ave.
    Pacific Ave.

After all I was entitled to having all of them. I was told that my attitude was unrealistic. I got up and threw my paper money in the air and went home in a tantrum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

No one is saying that Melancon is garbage or not worth of a RS bullpen spot.  He is not ready to close in a market like Boston.  Maybe in two years he may develop into that guy.

Id like to see them go after a veteran closer like Ryan Madsen or Fransico Cordero to be a stopper for the next three years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]No one is saying that Melancon is garbage or not worth of a RS bullpen spot.  He is not ready to close in a market like Boston.  Maybe in two years he may develop into that guy. Id like to see them go after a veteran closer like Ryan Madsen or Fransico Cordero to be a stopper for the next three years.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]

He pitched just fine for NYY before they traded him for Berkman.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Pitching in NY in the sixth inning of a reg. season game does not mean you can close 40 games for Boston and be relied upon in the playoffs.

There is a huge difference and everyone knows that.

Saving 20 games in Houston does not mean he can do it 40 times in Boston.  It doesnt work like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Pitching in NY in the sixth inning of a reg. season game does not mean you can close 40 games for Boston and be relied upon in the playoffs. There is a huge difference and everyone knows that. Saving 20 games in Houston does not mean he can do it 40 times in Boston.  It doesnt work like that.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he closed in NYY, I said he pitched effectively.  Paps only ever saved 40 games once during his time with Boston (41 saves in 2008) and only had 31 saves last season, so maybe you need to adjust your expectations for the Red Sox closer (whomever that may be).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

You know I and sick and tired of the naysayers on this site. I do not believe the Sox have said that Melancon is the closer. dont forget there is Jenks available and there are pieces still to acquire including a starter or 2 and a right handed hitting right fielder. So give Ben a chance before you start tearing things apart. You folks said Gonzo and Crawford could nt play in Boston. Gonzo did ok and Crawford will be ok in 12. Give them all a chance. Tomorrow is not opening day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Of course I realize we can only have one 1st baseman at a time Joe, just remarking about the staggering amount of talent drifting by us that we are unable or uninterested in going after. I do think we shoulda gone after Heath Bell, rather than trade prospects for Bailey, but you know where I stand there. I also am stunned we made,(as far as I know), no effort to bid for Yu. As for Gonzo and Pujol's production being the same over the next 7 years, I strongly disagree. I'd expect at least 100 more homers from Albert, and a 20+ point higher batting avg over the period. But make no mistake, I'd rather have him at our price than Albert at theirs. The real fun will be yrs 7 and above. Finally, I do find myself lusting after the talents of one Prince Fielder. He coulda been a monster at Fenway in our line-up, and we could have played him some at 1st on Gonzo rest days, and DH's him the rest. I know, I LOVE Ortiz and consider him a bargain. Just can't stop thinking of what he could do for us for the next 5 or so yrs at probably $18 per. I realize the pen needs to be our focus, but we'd be an almost mutant run producing team that could just club other teams into oblivion. In Response to Re: Do you agree with Sean McAdam? Melancon deal doesn't solve Sox problems-they still need a closer :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

No particular order-

Don't know about Bell.  I like him, but he is already 34.  So you would be paying him until he is just about 37.  His K/W is good, but not great, and has dropped two years in a row.  SD has skewed his stats, with a career 2.56 at home and 3.61 on the road.

IRT Fielder, I don't see the excitement.  He has a career .929 OPS.  He's at a reasonable age, but his conditioning doesn't argue for longevity.  And I'm not sure what kind of pressure we can put on the other players to get in better condition if we hire someone 80 pounds overweight.

IRT Yu, we should've made a bid, though making a bid and paying him a good salary makes his equivalent salary the equal of an ace pitcher, with none of the ace security.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why doesn't Idiots2004 ever spend his hours searching the Internet for a positive article? It seems that he always searches for and prefers to post negative articles. Why is that? Is it because he knows that positive columns won't play in Peoria / BDC forum. I believe we all know why and we as a collective group  only respond to negativity, doom-and-gloom, cynicism, skepticism, pessimism,  and bashing. Sad but true. Is he like Alibi Ike who found a  $20 bill on the sidewalk outside his house last month and later complained that it was soiled and wrinkled. Poor Ike.