Do you agree with Shaughnessy?:"Red Sox in chaos"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Do you agree with Shaughnessy?:"Red Sox in chaos"

No. Reporters trying to create hype during the off season. Things will even out soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Shaunessy has an audience out there but unfortunately they all have a low IQ and are busy calling WEEI talk radio. The Globe wants him to draw flies like a fresh cow dump does on a hot July afternoon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Shaughnessy?:"Red Sox in chaos":
    [QUOTE]Mr. Shaugh-negativity has never said a good thing about the Sox, even when they finally won the World Series in 2004.  He throws BS and controversial issues around just so he can have something in the paper; I don't remember any original thought he has ever had.  Have you ever heard a good word, thoughtful suggestion that might help the team, or discussion of any positives about the team?  A lot of people like the BS and since it sells papers, the editors eat it up.  Look at the Sports pages over the next week.  You'll have trouble finding sports articles; most of it is player legal problems, drug problems, chid abuse allegations, NCAA inquiries, labor disputes (of the rich and famous), etc.  Unfortunately, I'm 67, so I've seen a lot of  Mr. Shaugh-negativity's junk for years. The Sox will be fine and will be in the running again next year.
    Posted by Brown615[/QUOTE]

Shaugnessey is usually always very negative about all Boston sports teams, not just the Red Sox.   I will read his articles, but usually don't agree with him.  He very rarely writes anything positive about Boston sports teams. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Notwithstanding Shaugnessy's natural tendency towards hyperbolic, Chicken Little-style sports journalism, his observations about Cherington scouting Cespedes in the Dominican Republic (what is probably a real long-shot signing for the Bosox), while Lucchino and company were deeply involved at home in the managerial search, is not easy to dismiss.  Shaugnessy seems to think Larry L. is the de facto GM, and the Front Office is bumbling the PR issues surrounding same......To dub this all "chaos" is classic Shaughnessy....

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community 

organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i was far from elated with the CC signing, far from elated when Beckett got 50 mil when he didn't prove he was back yet, and certainly not elated by not re-signing Beltre.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's not even thanksgiving yet...and we're on chaos?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The chaos of the Sox is nothing compared to the chaos the last couple years in the Globe sports department and the transition from investigative sports reporting to the opinionated hack jobs Dan himself has now perfected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i just look at shaughnessy and he looks like an as s hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

shaughnessy is a clown

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What I always find amusing is the predictable way people go off the deep end when then disagree with a columnist.

I agree with many of Shaughnessy's points. This ownership group has done a great job overall since they've been here, but the last couple of months have been far from their best moments.

There's no doubt that the way the manager search has been handled makes them look like they're bumbling. And I thought they should have aggressively pursued Papelbon.

I haven't liked anything that has happened since the end of the season. Even though there were real problems that developed, I thought there was a tremendous overreaction. But before I pass an overall judgement, I'm going to wait and see how everything shakes out -- from the manager and new coaches to any trades and FA signings.

I'm going to give them the chance to right the ship, but for now, Shaughnessy has made some very good points IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]What I always find amusing is the predictable way people go off the deep end when then disagree with a columnist. I agree with many of Shaughnessy's points. This ownership group has done a great job overall since they've been here, but the last couple of months have been far from their best moments. There's no doubt that the way the manager search has been handled makes them look like they're bumbling. And I thought they should have aggressively pursued Papelbon. I haven't liked anything that has happened since the end of the season. Even though there were real problems that developed, I thought there was a tremendous overreaction. But before I pass an overall judgement, I'm going to wait and see how everything shakes out -- from the manager and new coaches to any trades and FA signings. I'm going to give them the chance to right the ship, but for now, Shaughnessy has made some very good points IMO.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
    Dan Shaughnessy hit the salient points, but the columnist addressed those issues in the manner of a petulant child.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In the 90's I used to love reading his columns, which were often on turmoil. There was actually real turmoil to write about in the 90's here, nearly a full decade of it. Now it seems he is in his element but I do not find myself "loving" reading it.

I have gotten the impression the last 3 or 4 years he sounds more like a hater than a reporter/writer that is only trying to tell us something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I was lost after the first sentence of the thread. I'll be interested in what Shaughnessy has to say when he loses his devil's advocate role and starts to report like he actually likes the Red Sox, and cares about what happens to them. This beating up the team is getting old. And I don't believe he's selling papers as I don't believe fans enjoy reading constant negative stories about their team. So that's a myth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Are the Sox in Chaos  - sure looks like it   a bit more every day.

If I am a free agent  am I going to come amidst the chaos?  If they open their check book, I'll go to the team willing to pay baby... It's all about the Benjamin's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Shaughnessy?:"Red Sox in chaos" : You do realize we have cell phones, video conf. and many other new technological devices where being any where but on Yawkey way means nothing. He can still do every thing from the DR that he can in Boston.This is not 1966 when they hired Williams nor is it the 70's when a cell phone looked like a modified brick and weighed as much.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I guess you could say the same thing by sending a top scout down to look at Cepadis (unless he doesn't trust him) certainly a acount would know how to use modern technological equipment.
    I mean, if finding a manager is the primary task at hand, then all Ben's efforts should be pured into it, instead of scouting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't know if I agree with Shaughnessy or not because I don't read his columns.  I did up until a few years ago, but not any more.

I was at City of Palms Park several years ago when I came upon CHB sitting at a small table on the edge of the concourse, writing in a notebook.  I went up to him, extended my hand, and said, "Good afternoon.  I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for what you do for us Sox fans in the Globe." 
    I remember it like it was yesterday.  He didn't even look up.  He just said, "Ya, sure" kept on writing, and left me standing there like feeling an idiot. 

To take a page from BILL's book, my mom used to tell me that you can tell a lot about a person's makeup by how they treat people who can't do them any good.
    If he doesn't have the time to treat his readers with respect and a smidgen of appreciation I don't have the time to read his column. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think it's more of a time to purge the Globe staff more than Sox vets.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Shaughnessy?:"Red Sox in chaos" : I guess you could say the same thing by sending a top scout down to look at Cepadis (unless he doesn't trust him) certainly a acount would know how to use modern technological equipment. I mean, if finding a manager is the primary task at hand, then all Ben's efforts should be pured into it, instead of scouting.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of this new thing they call a smart phone? I would hope that Cherington has the ability to multi-task and not sure that he has to spend all of his waking hours pouring over the qualifications of the managerial candidates.

As for Shaunessey and his ilk, they're all simply feeding on the media invented hysteria and doom and gloomer fans of the Red Sox. Who as a rule are like Lemming's and will follow he and his band of gypsies to the edge of ruin...The Joke's on those that actually believe what he writes as fact. When in fact all of his "findings" are his own hypothiticals and are not in fact based on what is truly happening on Yawkey Way!

It's only November...Not sure that losing Sveum to the Cubs and allowing Papelbon to walk are signs that armagedon is at hand....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Haha! That's Shaughnessy alright. He actually gets meaner if a fan continues to engage him...it's painful to watch. I agree with your mothers wonderful quote wholeheartedly, it's sooo very true. But I'll judge his words on their merits, not on my opinions of him as a person.

[QUOTE]I don't know if I agree with Shaughnessy or not because I don't read his columns.  I did up until a few years ago, but not any more. I was at City of Palms Park several years ago when I came upon CHB sitting at a small table on the edge of the concourse, writing in a notebook.  I went up to him, extended my hand, and said, "Good afternoon.  I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for what you do for us Sox fans in the Globe."  I remember it like it was yesterday.  He didn't even look up.  He just said, "Ya, sure" kept on writing, and left me standing there like feeling an idiot.  To take a page from BILL's book, my mom used to tell me that you can tell a lot about a person's makeup by how they treat people who can't do them any good. If he doesn't have the time to treat his readers with respect and a smidgen of appreciation I don't have the time to read his column. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

First: 11/21/2005
    Last: 11/20/2011

Shaughnessy is an idiot! Has alot of time on his hands...

I second that!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The FO, manager, coaches, and players should all invoke a gag order and never talk to CHB. Ignore the clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Shaughnessys a curmudgeon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

"Control of chaos" of perturbations. Dan tells it how it is...like his style...