Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

I lose respect for the Yankee management/front office team every time I see him batting first.  What a joke!  

Someone adeptly stated that 3000 hits is more important than winning games...yeah, DJ is really unselfish. rolleyes

I imagine the conversation would go something like this...

Joe Girardi: "Mr. Jeter, I was, ummm, I mean, I was thinking about, ummmm, maybe, ummm, if it was ok with you, ummm, batting you ninth today (Throws arms up and shouts..."Don't hit me!")

Derek Jeter: "You know what Joey...we won't be needing your service anymore...you're fired.  Oh, and take that f%*&ing binder with you jacka$$"

Joe Girardi: "Thank you Mr. Jeter."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

bp, that sounds about right.  now that george is dead jeter is running the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]bp, that sounds about right.  now that george is dead jeter is running the team.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]
    jete " you talking to me?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

jeter is the don, no doubt about it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I just can't tell him...I can't.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

sad state of affairs in NY these days, the fall is coming look out below.  proof is proof.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]jeter is the don, no doubt about it

Captain Jeter is the face of the Yankees.   He sells the t-shirts, hats and Yankee memorabilia.  Yankee fans will have to live with him for 2 years while Jose Reyes is batting for the Boston Redsox.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Good grief. Sox fans on parade. Fivekatz, I'll leave you out of this illustrious group. Soxmeister, you're in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

hey hey hey, who friggun cares, ask joe torre the spankee expert who could never have enough short stops, whydoncha

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]this is why the sox are so much  better then the yankees.   yankees are old and over rated.  they cant compete with quality teams like the sox.  check the standings for your proof, sox in first place yankees not.
    I'm still trying to understand why the Yanks are old and the Sox not. The Sox average age is 30.7 while the Yanks are 29.5. That's factoring in Wake 44 and Mo at 41. Phillies are the oldest at 31 even. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]his defense is an embarrassment to the yankees.  check his history on defense.  He has what, One gold glove.  Proof is proof.

He has 5 Gold Gloves; nothing to sneeze at, (especially since no RS SS ever had as many) get your facts straight; especially when you coin any proof slogan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Below average isn't accurate. Average is probably more like it. He is fraction of the player he was as recent as 2009. If you freeze his numbers at the point of the injury the argument could be made he is slightly below average. But he had a slow start (.582 OPS for Mar-Apr). Some good that may come out of the injury is that Giardi may be more apt to reduce Derek from the 157 games he played in 2010 and get him more rest. He is 37 years old after all and SS is a very active position. Defensively you will always get arguments because each of the defensive stats have bigger holes in them than offensive stats do. Derek fans will look at what they see with one view, his detractors yet another. But he may well be below average this year unless Jed Lowrie's 2011 performance is what you consider league average. None of this should be a shock. It is why Cashman was in such a bad spot. No heir apparent, the single most iconic player of the great run the NYY have had for over 16 years and Jeter's expectations all mucked up by the insane A-Rod contract. Because truth be known, Jete was a 2 year - $16M player and $4M of that was for the Jeter brand and his hitting his 3000 hit in your uniform. But even if he was below average, it is harsh IMO to write about as NY writer. Just my take
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Brilliant take; I was actually glad Derek got hurt (as long as it isn't serious), because this shall force him to rest, and his ego is too big for him to admit his age related limitations. You know how many HOF SS's at his age played 157 games? I believe there was at most one (Trav Jax NYG, but I'm not sure).

I also agree with how you articulated the new fangled defensive measures; they shall continue to evolve, I'm guessing. There is no doubt that his range at this point is bad; but everything else is still supreme. The bat's another story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

DEREK JETER

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

The Yankees are considered old and the Red Sox not because all of Boston's old players are no longer key players. For old players, the Red Sox have:
     J.D. Drew, starting right fielder and number 7 hitter, 35
    David Ortiz, starting DH and number 5 hitter, 35
    Mike Cameron, backup outfielder, 38
    Jason Varitek, part of catching platoon, 39
    Tim Wakefield, #5 starter, 44
     Other than Papi, none of these guys are key players, and all are eligible for free agency next year.
     These are the Yankees' old players:
    Alex Rodriguez, starting third baseman and cleanup hitter, 35
    Derek Jeter, starting shortstop and number 1/2/9 hitter, 37
    Jorge Posada, starting DH, 39
    Mariano Rivera, closer, 41
     The Red Sox do have one more guy over the age of 34 (so Burnett barely made the cutoff) but all of the Yankees' old guys are key, as A-Rod is just as key as Papi to their respective teams, Jeter is clearly more key than Drew, Posada is just as key to his team as V-Tek is to the Sox, and Rivera is more key to the Yankees than Wake and Cam together.
     The worse part for NY is how Rivera is here through 2012, Jeter through 2013, and A-Rod through 2017. Posada is the only one who is a free agent after this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]Good grief. Sox fans on parade. Fivekatz, I'll leave you out of this illustrious group. Soxmeister, you're in.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Deal ... I am honored.  Imagine Sox fans on parade in a Sox forum?!?  How strange.   

LOL ... he catches everything that comes directly to him.  So does a little leaguer.  Not really a resounding argument for his remaining skills.

Yes, he is a 1st ballot HOFer.  No doubt.  

For NOW Jirardi has to deal with him in this stage of his career.  Now we get to see what Joe is made of ... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

jeter can at least pull his own weight, which is mthan can say for rest of yanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.--sindarin-erebor The writer says, "Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.” Not sure what lines you're reading between. At any rate, the writer makes the startling point that players get older and that they're not as fast and strong in their 30s as they are in their 20's. Breakthrough journalism. Aside from impeccable first ballot Hall of Fame credentials, one thing Jeter does very well, to the delight of Yankee fans,  is that he catches everything and rarely muffs a play, a concept that no shortstop on the Sox is even remotely familiar with. It's the guys who have worlds of acrobatic range but can't catch a ball hit right at them in a big spot that are the killers.   Let the Jeter trashing continue. You don't have him, so there's no need for you to suffer with him. We'll take him, and Davethe knave, we'll take A-Rod, too.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Diehard Sox fan, but can't disagree with a single word you said.  Personelly, I love the way Jeter plays (still), and only "hate" him because he's a Yankee.  And your comment about our shortstop is so spot on.  I bet a ton of Sox fans (me included) would welcome a SS of Jeter's caliber, but he'd have to hit in the lower third of the order.  One last thing.  For all the Jeter's this, Jeter's that nonsence, if you ask most Sox fans this scenario:  Sox up by one in the 9th, Yankees at the plate, bases loaded, two outs, Jeter stepping in at the plate - would you be experiencing the pucker facter to the nth degree?  I'm betting most Sox fans would.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

gr82bme, well said. Same pucker factor that a Yank fan gets with Pedey, Youk, or Papi.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

LOL ... he catches everything that comes directly to him.  So does a little leaguer--soxmeister
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Little leaguers, maybe. Current Sox shortstops, no.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

if you ask most Sox fans this scenario: Sox up by one in the 9th, Yankees at the plate, bases loaded, two outs, Jeter stepping in at the plate - would you be experiencing the pucker facter to the nth degree? I'm betting most Sox fans would.

In the above scenario, with an out at any base a groundball would be ideal.

MLB leader groundball rate by 5 % points! 

Jeter

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop? : Diehard Sox fan, but can't disagree with a single word you said.  Personelly, I love the way Jeter plays (still), and only "hate" him because he's a Yankee.  And your comment about our shortstop is so spot on.  I bet a ton of Sox fans (me included) would welcome a SS of Jeter's caliber, but he'd have to hit in the lower third of the order.  One last thing.  For all the Jeter's this, Jeter's that nonsence, if you ask most Sox fans this scenario:  Sox up by one in the 9th, Yankees at the plate, bases loaded, two outs, Jeter stepping in at the plate - would you be experiencing the pucker facter to the nth degree?  I'm betting most Sox fans would.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]
    4 yarsw ago, yes
    mow, no

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think MLB needs a new stat.  If a fielder gets to a ball that if he had not, it would have been scored a hit, but as a result throws the ball away, it should be classified as something other than an error.  You look at Jeter compared to a guy like Alcides Escobar - Escobar has not made a fielding error all year.  He's made six throwing errors, but in twice as many chances.  How many of those balls do you think Derek Jeter or Jed Lowrie get to?  If he finishes the year with a .980 FP, he might not even be considered for a GG.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop? :  So he threw six balls away on grounders Jeter or Lowrie "wouldn't have reached." The batter ends up on second base. Who do you want at short?
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

I'll take Escobar.  Once again, Jeter costs his team more runs by his lack of range than other shortstops do by their errors. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]LOL ... he catches everything that comes directly to him.  So does a little leaguer--soxmeister --------------------------------------------------------------------- Little leaguers, maybe. Current Sox shortstops, no.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Good point ... although Jeter has that contract, something you guys have to deal with for quite awhile. 

Sections
Shortcuts