DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY?

In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY?:
    [QUOTE]The real danger of this whole story is a business man who has a different opinion is being attacked by Politicians in Chicago and Boston. they want to put a guy out of business for have a different opinion. It's weird - but it is always the left that wants to use strong-arm totalitarian tactics to drive people out of business. I think it is central to the left's tolerance movement. That's my last post on the subject - because this is a baseball board.  I'd rather talk baseball. My apologies for encouraging political chatter on a baseball board.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

I have read all your posts and agree with everything you say.  I just wish you would tone down the anger a bit, maybe you would make a greater impact.  Just a thought...don't yell at meLaughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]If the gov't is wrong for guaranteeing gays the same rights as starights, then they are erring on the side of being fair. God, being omnipotent, is the one that gives life to the gays All men and women have the same rights and protections. It is a total bugaboo to claim that equal protection means a man has the right to marry one man and a woman has the the right to marry one woman. Stop using the childish politically designed artifice of "straights" and "gays". There are males and females as sexual identity, and there is sexual conduct. There are no "gays" and "straights" as physical class identities.   Rome is the paradigm to study, when it comes to moral decadence of The State.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

We are heading down the same road as Rome and the same end unless we change our ways.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Cathy has a right to his opinion. Thomas has a right to his opinion. Menino has a right to his opinion. Not really.  Free speech is not quite universal.  As mayor of Boston, he is not supposed to oppose businesses from opening in Boston, simply because they disagree with their religious or political views.  It is disgusitng and anti-American for him to use his political office to punish those who disagree with his politics.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.  If a republican mayor said he wouldn't allow a business to open because their pro-ssad stand the world would be up in arms.  I can only imagine the public outcry, the riots!  A number of democratic mayors want to break the law because Cathy is pro-family and I can hear the crickets.  Not a peep from the fair minded left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]I like gay people, which means "happy" people. I disdain the mental midgetry of using "gay" as a class identity of a bunch of males and females who engage in or profess to engage in or desire to engage in same-sexual relations. To institutionalize with public license relationships based upon same-sexual conduct issues is patently perverted and absurd.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

I use SSAD (same sex attraction disorder) because that is the correct medical term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : We are heading down the same road as Rome and the same end unless we change our ways.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

Rome was a little tiny village that ruled the world for about 400 years, and had outsied influence for something closer to 800 years.

It collapsed because the world that it ruled was about 100x larger than it.

It collapsed because it became a dictatorship.

And it collapsed because they used lead pipes for water, and used lead as a sweetener.

What was completely remarkable was that they lasted as long as they did, not that they collapsed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It got decadent and lost its original grip on the democratic Senate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Rome wasn't built in one day, and neither is the Sox starting rotation...:-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : Rome was a little tiny village that ruled the world for about 400 years, and had outsied influence for something closer to 800 years. It collapsed because the world that it ruled was about 100x larger than it. It collapsed because it became a dictatorship. And it collapsed because they used lead pipes for water, and used lead as a sweetener. What was completely remarkable was that they lasted as long as they did, not that they collapsed.

Hedonism contributed greatly to the collapse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Andres Hedberg contributed to the collapse?? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : My thoughts exactly.  If a republican mayor said he wouldn't allow a business to open because their pro-ssad stand the world would be up in arms.  I can only imagine the public outcry, the riots!  A number of democratic mayors want to break the law because Cathy is pro-family and I can hear the crickets.  Not a peep from the fair minded left.

You're drawing a false equivalence.  Cathy's remark express intolerance toward Gays.  In your hypothetical, a 'pro ssad stand' would involve a company openly supporting common marriage rights for all, and a Republican mayor taking offense.  In both scenarios, the conservative is displaying the intolerance.  Your argument seems to be that being intolerant of intolerance makes the left intolerant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Your argument seems to be that being intolerant of intolerance makes the left intolerant.

The inability of the left to accept opinions divergent from their own is what defines them.  You rarely hear of RW demonstrations against LW speakers.  If Biden gives a graduation speech, it generally goes off without a hitch.  If a RWer gives a commencement speech, there are usally LW groups demanding that he be replaced.  RW agitators rarely interrupt LW speeches.  The LW does that frequently.

The LW is highly intolerant of freedom of speech and diversity of opinions.

Menino's actions are an affront to the constitution.  If the ACLU had the relevency it had in the old days, they'd have been all over this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Your argument seems to be that being intolerant of intolerance makes the left intolerant. The inability of the left to accept opinions divergent from their own is what defines them.  You rarely hear of RW demonstrations against LW speakers.  If Biden gives a graduation speech, it generally goes off without a hitch.  If a RWer gives a commencement speech, there are usally LW groups demanding that he be replaced.  RW agitators rarely interrupt LW speeches.  The LW does that frequently. The LW is highly intolerant of freedom of speech and diversity of opinions. Menino's actions are an affront to the constitution.  If the ACLU had the relevency it had in the old days, they'd have been all over this.

I don't think that's true - if we're talking about a college campus, that's a liberal hot-bed consisting of young adults under the age of 23.  Even then, I think if your RWer is on par with Biden - say a Tim Pawlenty, there is relatively little uproar.  If it's Ann Coulter, or somebody with a history of racist or insensitive remarks, you're going to get protests at a level commensurate with the liberal makeup of school.  

But if you switch to a heavily conservative venue, the protests will be at least as loud in the other direction.  Imagine the reception Van Jones would get, for instance, at a tea party rally.  Or how about Michael Moore at a gun show?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : We are heading down the same road as Rome and the same end unless we change our ways.

Let us not forget the biggest issue with Rome that caused their demise: concentration of wealth

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : You're drawing a false equivalence.  Cathy's remark express intolerance toward Gays.  In your hypothetical, a 'pro ssad stand' would involve a company openly supporting common marriage rights for all, and a Republican mayor taking offense.  In both scenarios, the conservative is displaying the intolerance.  Your argument seems to be that being intolerant of intolerance makes the left intolerant.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Cathy's remarks express his christian beliefs, you interpret that as intolerance, others view it as being loyal to his faith.
    What the mayors threatened to do is illegal. Everyone should be outraged that  elected officials would so readily and easily break the law.  You should be outraged also.  Not a peep from the left about these law breaking mayors, still listening to the crickets.

Christians still have the right to practice their faith in this country, that may not be true for the next generation but it is still the law.  I will say yet again Cathy serves and employees those with SSAD.  He has broken no laws, he is simply true to his faith.  If you don't like what his faith teaches that those with SSAD are going against God's will then you have a right to state that. You don't, however, have the right to call me names such as intolerant. You are indeed the intolerant one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : What makes you think they are afraid of them?  Maybe they believe that what they are doing is wrong.

Read the quote from the Cathy guy at the beginning of the thread, he invokes "God's wrath" b/c of Gay People wanting marriage equality.  That is fear and fear mongoring, nothing more.  When those who oppose equal rights for Gay people talk about "preserving the institution of marriage" or how Gay people getting married is "evil" or will harm society, that is all fear based.

If people "think what they are doing is wrong" that is their right I suppose, I'd call it judgmental and ignorant at best, bigotry at worst but they can think what they want. However, when they want to deny equal rights, that goes beyond thought and infringes on the rights of other citizens and the number one tool for denying these equal rights is fear based rhetoric. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

god doesnt care how people have sex...i am almost certain of this....

but i know that i am now doomed to eternal hellfire to think that the supreme being makes no list of who is being nice, naughty, or super naughty in the sack...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : Cathy's remarks express his christian beliefs, you interpret that as intolerance, others view it as being loyal to his faith. What the mayors threatened to do is illegal. Everyone should be outraged that  elected officials would so readily and easily break the law.  You should be outraged also.  Not a peep from the left about these law breaking mayors, still listening to the crickets. Christians still have the right to practice their faith in this country, that may not be true for the next generation but it is still the law.  I will say yet again Cathy serves and employees those with SSAD.  He has broken no laws, he is simply true to his faith.  If you don't like what his faith teaches that those with SSAD are going against God's will then you have a right to state that. You don't, however, have the right to call me names such as intolerant. You are indeed the intolerant one.

He can believe whatever he wants but it doesn't change the fact that his end goal is to deny equal rights to gay people, which is not a tolerant position, it is a position that imposes his beliefs on the lives of others,  which is the definition of intolerance.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Breaking news.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]god doesnt care how people have sex...i am almost certain of this.... but i know that i am now doomed to eternal hellfire to think that the supreme being makes no list of who is being nice, naughty, or super naughty in the sack...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

You are certain of it, how can that be?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : He can believe whatever he wants but it doesn't change the fact that his end goal is to deny equal rights to gay people, which is not a tolerant position, it is a position that imposes his beliefs on the lives of others,  which is the definition of intolerance.  
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

You are imposing your beliefs on me, that makes you intolerant of my beliefs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : You are imposing your beliefs on me, that makes you intolerant of my beliefs.

I have no problem with Cathy believing whatever he wants to believe.  It may or may not be god's will for him to pay a financial price for speaking his mind.

What I do know, is that 67redsox is an obnoxious self righteous dweeb who says the same things over & over, ad nosium. 

I love supposed righteous Christians WHO LIVE TO make judgements about gays. It's one of the few "sins" they absolutely "know" they haven't committed, therefore they can wax obnoxious on said topic AD NOSIUM...... These self righteous twits have NOTHING TO SAY about the other sins spoken of in the Bible 10's of thousands of times more than homosexuality........ i.e.

Their own prideful ways
    Their obnoxious gossiping wives
    Their secret lust of the _____________
    Their covitting of their neighbors ____________
    Their hatred of __________________
    Their constant casting of the first stone.
    THIS LIST COULD GO ON ALL DAY LONG with guys like 67 & softy!!!!!!!

Me thinkith thou protestith too much ladies!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DO YOU AGREE WITH TIM THOMAS AND THE CATHY FAMILY? : Cathy's remarks express his christian beliefs, you interpret that as intolerance, others view it as being loyal to his faith. What the mayors threatened to do is illegal. Everyone should be outraged that  elected officials would so readily and easily break the law.  You should be outraged also.  Not a peep from the left about these law breaking mayors, still listening to the crickets. Christians still have the right to practice their faith in this country, that may not be true for the next generation but it is still the law.  I will say yet again Cathy serves and employees those with SSAD.  He has broken no laws, he is simply true to his faith.  If you don't like what his faith teaches that those with SSAD are going against God's will then you have a right to state that. You don't, however, have the right to call me names such as intolerant. You are indeed the intolerant one.

Faith is just one aspect of a person's identity.  There are devoutly religious men and women of all religions across the country who have varying opinions on this subject.  Some can express their opinions without using phrases like "inviting God's judgement" or refering to the sexual orientation of others as a disorder.  Some can show love and respect for those different from them, while others use their faith as an excuse to be vile and insulting.  Some walk the walk, are charitable with their time and money, and work to cure society's ills.  Others make casual holocaust references on Red Sox message boards.  Some are the solution, others are the problem, and think they are the victim.