Do you agree with Tori Hunter?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Do you agree with Tori Hunter?

Did his Christian up bringing also teach, having four children with four women, who weren't his wife, and not in their lives?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Before 1947, some players probably cited biblical scripture to support the segregation the races in Major League Baseball. I don't doubt that some players were "uncomfortable" with the arrival of Jackie Robinson.

I don't agree with Torii Hunter, but I respect his candor. Perhaps Hunter will evolve just as some formerly racist white players did around the middle of the 20th century.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Is this the thread where "tolerant massachusetts liberals" bash the Christians?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you cant teach tolerance or empathy to someone who has made up their mind about someone...too bad considering he would've been the first person judged by his exterior rather than his character 50 years ago

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Before 1947, some players probably cited biblical scripture to support the segregation the races in Major League Baseball. I don't doubt that some players were "uncomfortable" with the arrival of Jackie Robinson.

I don't agree with Torii Hunter, but I respect his candor. Perhaps Hunter will evolve just as some formerly racist white players did around the middle of the 20th century.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Somehow I doubt, when it comes down to it, an openly gay ballplayer would "divide" a team in the way Hunter imagines, any more than the U.S. military has been thrown into chaos since the repeal of DADT, as many told us would happen. Sad that some people still think the way Hunter does, but history and culture are thankfully moving against them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you cant teach tolerance or empathy to someone who has made up their mind about someone...too bad considering he would've been the first person judged by his exterior rather than his character 50 years ago

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, geo. You'd think he would have more tolerance and understanding of who, not what

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't give a damn what Torii Hunter thinks.

He could prove more about his "intelligence" by learning to say "no comment."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did his Christian up bringing also teach, having four children with four women, who weren't his wife, and not in their lives?

[/QUOTE]

Ka-ching!

He's using the bible and religion to mask his homophobia.  And I like and respect the guy generally.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

no no no  not at all  sorry  he,s just one of the old fools   who needs to be fined . he should have shut his mouth  he should have done no comment

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

No more divisive than an overly opinionated new teammate using religion to justify prejudice.  I wonder what really compelled Hunter to raise the topic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

+1

Somehow I doubt, when it comes down to it, an openly gay ballplayer would "divide" a team in the way Hunter imagines, any more than the U.S. military has been thrown into chaos since the repeal of DADT, as many told us would happen. Sad that some people still think the way Hunter does, but history and culture are thankfully moving against them.

[/QUOTE]

So, so true.  It's just not a big deal unless someone has a particular axe to grind or, in Softy's case, a hatchet to hide.

You may have heard about Gareth Thomas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Thomas_%28rugby%29), one of the hardest (and best) players in one of the hardest sports, coming out a few years ago.

To a tiny minority of morons it was a big deal....but most people, and all decent people, just don't care about another's sexuality.  If an ultra-macho Welsh international Rugby player can come out to no fanfare, even in the much more conservative US I'm sure a player coming out would not generate interest after a week or two other than among the aforementioned morons and bigots.

BTW, both Thomas and John Ameche have said many of their teammates knew or suspected but - again, as most people are decent - just didn't care.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i don't think hunter is right but i respect his opinion. if you live your life by the bible then you naturally think homosexuality is wrong and would be uncomfortable about it. But then again, J-Bays point is pretty solid. He clearly doesn't hold the teachings of the Bible very dear if he has 4 children with 4 baby mamas.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i don't think hunter is right but i respect his opinion. if you live your life by the bible then you naturally think homosexuality is wrong and would be uncomfortable about it. But then again, J-Bays point is pretty solid. He clearly doesn't hold the teachings of the Bible very dear if he has 4 children with 4 baby mamas.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think every opinion from every person necessarily deserves respect.  For example, should I respect the opinion of those in favour of female circumcision?  Or that of Nazis?  Or Yankee fans?  ;-)))

I don't think Hunter is a bad guy at all, from what I know of him.  But I think he's dead wrong and have no respect for his opinion on this issue.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

religiously speaking he makes little sense - if he had said he was a Jew, then there is plenty written about homosexuality and morality in the Old Testament...but calling himself a Christian and then saying the Bible condemns being gay is just wrong...I know of no specific thing that his savior, Jesus Christ, said about being gay.....in fact he didn't have much to say about condemning anyone and judging them harshly....just another person who has twisted Chrsitianity into their own prejudices

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

homophobia.  And I like and respect the guy generally.

I'm sure Hunter doesn't fear "the same", in reference to the embarrassing coined epithet "homophobia". I'm sure his fear is sharing bathroom facilities with those who engage in sinful behavior as described in his religious beliefs and who suffer from same-sexual attraction disorder. The people who fear people like Hunter who pubicly express an aversion to same-sex sexual behavior suffer from "moralphobia". 

[/QUOT

Drop the mock wordsmithing;  you know the accepted meaning of "homophobia".

But, wow!  A new, creepy low from you (sharing bathroom facilities), plus your shocking, hilarious, yet sad acceptance of the disgraceful, lcd, phony term "same-sexual attraction disorder".  The legendary dimwit 67redsox stands by that phony term, but while we disagree on much I would have thought you'd want to distance yourself from such faulty "thinking".

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well put.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

While I can say I honestly couldn't care less who's sleeping with whom, I can say I grow weary of the left's incessant propagandizing over this issue. When they were in the minority on the subject of homosexuality, the message sreamed from the roof tops was "tolerance and respect for others views which might be different from your own". A very reasonable stance and one I agreed with completely. Once THEIRS became the majority view, and people were tripping all over themselves to prove how "tolerant" they were, any opposing views on the matter are now deemed unacceptable and the author of such views in need of villification. Bah! Hypocrites!! Whether it's global warming, religion, taxes,etc. the radical left allows for only one view-it's own. Not everyone will agree with you on every subject-get over it! And don't you dare attack someone for having the courage to speak his views in a reasonable, honest way even though I suspect he knew well he'd be attacked for it.  That's what tyrants and INTOLERANT folks do all over this globe. Don't be a Putin!!!!! Allow for divergent views to be freely expressed, and you'll not melt from hearing them I assure you. As for me, I just think boys and girls fit well together. Sorta like peas and carrots.Hope that's ok with everyone...but could care less if someone here doesn't agree. I accept your opposing views, should you be brave enough to have and express them.

Sections
Shortcuts