Do you extend Varitek?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Do you extend Varitek?

yep, perhaps he would make a good bench coach. This team could use a few new coaches.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

I would not extend Varitek... The Sox need to save as much $$$ as they can to extend Ellsbury...the best player on the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mick711. Show mick711's posts

this guy is the captain. it is absolutely imperative to resign him. no excuses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Do you extend Varitek?:
    [QUOTE]You are proving your idiocy with every post. An 8 game sample size with a staff decimated by injuries is "proof" to the silly clown.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

It's not idiocy, it's obsession.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the fact that it's time for Tek to go, and since he is still a Type B FA, I'd have a genetlemen's agreement to offer him arb and have him decline it, if he wants to continue, or offer him a coaching job, if that's what he wants.

OTOH, it's still a pretty good year.  The CS % is really weak, but the hitting has been good and his W/L excellent.  But I think we got a little lucky this year that he has, for the most part, played the entire year.

A third option, for those not obsessed with having Tek retire, is to signing him with the intent that he'll only play half a season.  He's generally been an above-average catcher for the first three months.  That might be of value to us as it'll give us production, rest Salty, and teach Lavarnaway a bit more in AAA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Opposing pitchers laugh when he comes to the plate and opposing players salivate when they reach base with 'Tek behind the plate.  He's a symbol of the past from which it's time to move.  Nostalgia doesn't win games.  If he's such a great signal caller, let him do so as a bench coach.
    Posted by walterjohnson07[/QUOTE]

I'm curious.

Is Tek's OPS above leage-average for a catcher, or below?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The man is obviously washed up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Then you would risk what you have set as the gold standard to successful catching - CERA.

Burrito, harness and I have never said CERA was the "gold standard". We have both said it is a flawed and highly restrictive stat in that it's usage is very limited. 

How many catchers would be of quality and readily available to be traded for, probably zero.

How many can we pick up this winter for cheap? I'm all for getting a better catcher than VTek, but how that catcher gets the most out of his staff is part of the equation.

We have to move on at some point, why wait is what I say.

Maybe because the team is 41-22 with Vtek and 47-46 with Salty. A trend that has continued for years and years. Pitchers have better ERAs, WHIP and W-L records when VTek catches them. You can choose to not believe it, or think it is voodoo, but it just keeps happening over and over.

I am ready for 2012 already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wakefield and Varitek cant field the position. Two jokes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you extend Varitek? : I'm curious. Is Tek's OPS above leage-average for a catcher, or below?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

2 catchers per team = 60 catchers.
    Out of the top 60 catchers by PAs, here is the breakdown:
    (remember, some of these guys like Napoli and VMart are not really catchers anymore.)
    Salty is 19th out of 60 in OPS at .752.
    VTek is 29th out of 60 in OPS at .718.
    That makes VTek about an average catcher in OPS in MLb this year.

If you go by the top 30 catchers by PAs (In theory the 30 FT catchers in MLB) or all catchers with over 240 PAs, here's the breakdown:
    Salty is #13 out of 30.
    Vtek is #19 out of 30.
    The point is, VTek is our back-up catcher and yet he is better than 11 team's #1 catcher! He's just .030 from being #14/15 or averaage for FT'ers.

You guys want to have a top hitting catcher as your back-up? Your going to have to spend big and have to let someone else go, thereby creating a hole elsewhere.

He's our back-up catcher!

We are 41-22 in his starts.

He's our back-up catcher!

He is our back-up catcher.

Stop comparing him to full-timers and you'll see the value. Stop looking at just CS% to judge a catcher's worth behind the plate.

We are 41-22 in games VTek starts.

This is not a fluke. This has been going on through all of his recent poor offensive seasons. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Yankees have Montero getting some reps and post season work. Red Sox have Varitek getting some reps.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, good thing too. He got the biggest hit of the season so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No, he doesnt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Then you would risk what you have set as the gold standard to successful catching - CERA. Burrito, harness and I have never said CERA was the "gold standard". We have both said it is a flawed and highly restrictive stat in that it's usage is very limited.  How many catchers would be of quality and readily available to be traded for, probably zero. How many can we pick up this winter for cheap? I'm all for getting a better catcher than VTek, but how that catcher gets the most out of his staff is part of the equation. We have to move on at some point, why wait is what I say. Maybe because the team is 41-22 with

Vtek and 47-46 with Salty.
    A trend that has continued for years and years. Pitchers have better ERAs, WHIP and W-L records when VTek catches them. You can choose to not believe it, or think it is voodoo, but it just keeps happening over and over. I am ready for 2012 already.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a gold standard to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Sounds like epic September collapse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tek didn't start majority of games in Sept.
    Team w/Tek:   .651
    Team w/Salty: .505

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This "voodoo" stuff works every year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I wish I had similar criteria for the stock market.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sure nuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Tek didn't start majority of games in Sept. Team w/Tek:   .651 Team w/Salty: .505
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Why not? If he is so good why the hell wasn't he catching te majority? If the team won't use him then why keep him?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Tek was a fine catcher but has not been for at least 3 years now - remember when he went 1 for like 23 in the playoff series we lost v Rays?  He should have been gone then!  Next year it is Salty and Lavernway - the Yale man.

Let Tek and Wake play on Bill Spaceman Lee's barnstormers or they can coach in Sox minor league system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's probably the best back-up catcher in MLB. He has more innings caught than most back-ups. We win when he catches. Even if you take away Becket's wins, we still win more with VTek than Salty. True, he can't catch 130 games anymore. True, if Salty gets hurt, we will need to find someone else next year or force Lavarnway to catch MLB prematurely. At his salary, he's a steal at $1.5M for next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you extend Varitek? : Why not? If he is so good why the hell wasn't he catching te majority? If the team won't use him then why keep him?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I asked the same exact question last September...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you extend Varitek? : That cant be winning percentage. In Sept? He got a big hit last night granted but before that hit was batting .042 in Sept. You can throw all kinds of different numbers, but bottom line he was hitting .042 before that hit. Kudos to Salty for doing fine job with BP, that one play Morales threw that Salty made I just dont think a 39 yr old would make. might have saved the game. (Ball thrown very high, with runner on 3rd.)
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Bobbysu, the bottom line is not hitting with a catcher. It never was.
    That's why most catchers don't hit well.

The RedSox actually did better with Cash catching over VMART catching the same pitchers...and Cash didn't drive in a run until the very last game he played!

Numbers I posted with Tek/Salty reflect the season, not the month of Sept.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When it gets to crunch time, Tito reverts to putting the best hitting team on the field. He doesn't respect "catcher relevance". Perhaps he never will, harness.

I thought the Crawford to the two slot was desperation and wrong.

I've had philosophical differences with Tito for years, but never pretended to know better than him. Now, I am not so sure if he is the right guy for this team anymore.

Sections
Shortcuts