Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

I still think he eats innings, he just isn't effective anymore.  He came in handy this year because of the devasting losses to our front line starters.  Let's say we didn't lose Buchholtz and DiceK.  He wouldn't have pitched.  I think, sadly, this is it.  Heck if we can spend $$$ on Crawford when we already have Ellsbury, I wouldn't put it past them to seek out another FA pitcher this offseason.  They WILL hold onto Lackey and try to fix him.  Beckett and Lester are returning.  I don't know of Dice-K's contract status, but it takes starters two years to bounce back from TJ surgery.  Sure he will pitch somewhere next year, beit Japan or in MLB, but he'll be less than 100%.  So I think he's out.  They may take a page out of the Yankees book ..... look how they pieced together a staff this year.  Maybe they got luckey, but it worked.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I didn't finish .....so it'll be Beckett, Lester, Buchholtz, Lackey and someone.  Then they bring in their usual list of has beens and reclamation projects to fill out and provide depth at AAA.  Looking back they could of used Millwood for a start or two. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]I still think he eats innings, he just isn't effective anymore.  He came in handy this year because of the devasting losses to our front line starters.  Let's say we didn't lose Buchholtz and DiceK.  He wouldn't have pitched.  I think, sadly, this is it.  Heck if we can spend $$$ on Crawford when we already have Ellsbury, I wouldn't put it past them to seek out another FA pitcher this offseason.  They WILL hold onto Lackey and try to fix him.  Beckett and Lester are returning.  I don't know of Dice-K's contract status, but it takes starters two years to bounce back from TJ surgery.  Sure he will pitch somewhere next year, beit Japan or in MLB, but he'll be less than 100%.  So I think he's out.  They may take a page out of the Yankees book ..... look how they pieced together a staff this year.  Maybe they got luckey, but it worked.
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]If they do the NYY thing, bringing Wake back would likely be part of that patchwork and let it sort on in the sprong.

But I doubt the FA market will have any front line - big splash answers. Get by the guys with options and this isn't any more impressive a list than the onbe was that headlined Lackey in 2010:

Starting Pitchers
    Mark Buehrle CWS
    Chris Carpenter STL *
    Bruce Chen KC
    Aaron Cook COL *
    Kyle Davies KC
    Ryan Dempster CHC *
    Justin Duchscherer OAK
    Zach Duke ARI *
    Jeff Francis KC
    Freddy Garcia NYY
    Jon Garland LAD *
    Aaron Harang SD
    Rich Harden OAK
    Livan Hernandez WAS
    Edwin Jackson CWS
    Kenshin Kawakami ATL
    Scott Kazmir LAA
    Hiroki Kuroda LAD
    Rodrigo Lopez CHC
    Paul Maholm PIT
    John Maine COL
    Jason Marquis WAS
    Kevin Millwood NYY
    Scott Olsen PIT *
    Roy Oswalt PHI *
    Brad Penny DET
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Joel Pineiro LAA
    CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
    Carlos Silva NYY
    Javier Vazquez FLA
    Adam Wainwright STL *
    Tim Wakefield BOS
    Chien-Ming Wang WAS
    Brandon Webb ARI
    C.J. Wilson TEX
    Chris Young NYM

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Michael Bowden could fill Wake's role next year - spot starter, mop up duty.  Plus, you don't have to worry about him coming in with men on base.  But I'm with Moon - for a 7th starter, how much can you ask?  You're not going to land somebody good who's dying to be buried in the bullpen or AAA, waiting for one of the 6 guys in front of him to get injured.

I think Weiland will be better next year, too, and I still have hope for Miller.  Also, I wouldn't mind trading Ellsbury to the Giants for one of their starters - I was thinking Lincecum, but Bumgarner or Cain + extension would work too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : If they do the NYY thing, bringing Wake back would likely be part of that patchwork and let it sort on in the sprong. But I doubt the FA market will have any front line - big splash answers. Get by the guys with options and this isn't any more impressive a list than the onbe was that headlined Lackey in 2010: Starting Pitchers Mark Buehrle CWS Chris Carpenter STL * Bruce Chen KC Aaron Cook COL * Kyle Davies KC Ryan Dempster CHC * Justin Duchscherer OAK Zach Duke ARI * Jeff Francis KC Freddy Garcia NYY Jon Garland LAD * Aaron Harang SD Rich Harden OAK Livan Hernandez WAS Edwin Jackson CWS Kenshin Kawakami ATL Scott Kazmir LAA Hiroki Kuroda LAD Rodrigo Lopez CHC Paul Maholm PIT John Maine COL Jason Marquis WAS Kevin Millwood NYY Scott Olsen PIT * Roy Oswalt PHI * Brad Penny DET Oliver Perez NYM Joel Pineiro LAA CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out) Carlos Silva NYY Javier Vazquez FLA Adam Wainwright STL * Tim Wakefield BOS Chien-Ming Wang WAS Brandon Webb ARI C.J. Wilson TEX Chris Young NYM
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I vote all teams keep their hands off CJ Wilson so we can have him :)  Slim pickens outside of that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, Softy must be trapped in a cave or something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

[QUOTE]im going to actually say yes...why not use him as a spot starter? OR LONG RELIEF...THAT's what his role was supposed to be before every pitcher went down for the count...i have no problem with a wake start every ten-twelve games
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Cos he hasnt been able to pitch for two years and can hardlyy wealk maybe. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Sorry, but it's time to part ways, It happens to everyone, it's just his time to go,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : Cos he hasnt been able to pitch for two years and can hardlyy wealk maybe. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

What part of your body do you use to type?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : What part of your body do you use to type?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Maybe you shouldn't ask...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : I'm hoping Wake makes the decision to retire but when you look at Lackey, Miller, Tazawa, Weiland, Dice and probably replacing Bedard.  Wakes stats don't look so bad at number 6 or 7 for the price.  It all depends on where Wake may be standing when Theo decides to bring that "big broom" in to sweep up the mess.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I've been defending Wake for 4 years. I'd be happy to see him go this winter ...

...right after Theo has lined up 6-7 starters who are better than him on the roster.  (It ain't happening on a restricted budget.) Until Theo has the horses signed, I'll take Wake back at about $1.5M to be an insurance policy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But I doubt the FA market will have any front line - big splash answers. Get by the guys with options and this isn't any more impressive a list than the onbe was that headlined Lackey in 2010:

Starting Pitchers 
    Mark Buehrle CWS 
    Chris Carpenter STL * 
    Bruce Chen KC 
    Aaron Cook COL * 
    Kyle Davies KC 
    Ryan Dempster CHC * 
    Justin Duchscherer OAK 
    Zach Duke ARI * 
    Jeff Francis KC 
    Freddy Garcia NYY 
    Jon Garland LAD * 
    Aaron Harang SD 
    Rich Harden OAK 
    Livan Hernandez WAS 
    Edwin Jackson CWS 
    Kenshin Kawakami ATL 
    Scott Kazmir LAA 
    Hiroki Kuroda LAD 
    Rodrigo Lopez CHC 
    Paul Maholm PIT 
    John Maine COL 
    Jason Marquis WAS 
    Kevin Millwood NYY 
    Scott Olsen PIT * 
    Roy Oswalt PHI * 
    Brad Penny DET 
    Oliver Perez NYM 
    Joel Pineiro LAA 
    CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out) 
    Carlos Silva NYY 
    Javier Vazquez FLA 
    Adam Wainwright STL * 
    Tim Wakefield BOS 
    Chien-Ming Wang WAS 
    Brandon Webb ARI 
    C.J. Wilson TEX 
    Chris Young NYM 

If we keep Papi and paps, we'll be lucky to get one good guy off this list. If we let one go, we may get 2. If both go, we may be able to get 3, and not 3 top ones either... so again, someone tell me how we keep the budget about the same and get 3 of these starters, so we can cut Wake loose...

Crickets

(Also, if we let Paplebon walk, we'll need to spend on the pen anyways... we might need to even if we keep him. We can't use his money on a starter.)

We have 3 near sure bets next year: Beckett, Lester, and Buchholtz. As most years have shown us, we will need 7-9 starters, of which after those bis 3, 2 more should be quality #4 type starters at worst. 

Someone come up with a plan with a detailed budget breakdown, where we can stay at about the same budget we are now, and can have a better #6-7 guy than Wake. (BTW, there are no better #6/7 starters in MLB for $1-2M, unless it's a freaky find.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I'm with Moon, but Wake might have somethng to say about it. 

I glanced at the free-agent crop for next year and there doesn't seem to be much there. 

If we could get Bedard back healthy, he might be our best other option. 

As for a trade? Who do we trade for pitching?

I am wondering if this month might even make some Red Sox fans pine for Dice-K? 

-Daf.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

This stiff has been a millstone for the Sox for the last two years....he's been  a ten ton anchor for a dingy during the second half of the season for the last 4 or 5 years...he's done...if they need an incompetent pitcher to eat up innings to save their bullpen late in the season just keep Lackey in the games - maybe we can get that ERA up to 10 runs a game...LMAO!

This is a foolish question and a ridiculous thread...send this guy to the Glue Factory...give him a nice Day in his name, a portrait and a nice car/truck, and say, with the utmost gratitude and love, "bhu-bye!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

No this season was it.  More so than in the past couple seasons, it has taken too much for him to get some wins.  Basically his abilitiy to win has gone from every few games to every too many games.  He's a class act, my sense is that he won't be happy with thiese past few seasons and he will retire, wiothout struggling to best Youg and Clemens for the all time Sox win total.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]But I doubt the FA market will have any front line - big splash answers. Get by the guys with options and this isn't any more impressive a list than the onbe was that headlined Lackey in 2010: Starting Pitchers   Mark Buehrle CWS  Chris Carpenter STL *  Bruce Chen KC  Aaron Cook COL *  Kyle Davies KC  Ryan Dempster CHC *  Justin Duchscherer OAK  Zach Duke ARI *  Jeff Francis KC  Freddy Garcia NYY  Jon Garland LAD *  Aaron Harang SD  Rich Harden OAK  Livan Hernandez WAS  Edwin Jackson CWS  Kenshin Kawakami ATL  Scott Kazmir LAA  Hiroki Kuroda LAD  Rodrigo Lopez CHC  Paul Maholm PIT  John Maine COL  Jason Marquis WAS  Kevin Millwood NYY  Scott Olsen PIT *  Roy Oswalt PHI *  Brad Penny DET  Oliver Perez NYM  Joel Pineiro LAA  CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)  Carlos Silva NYY  Javier Vazquez FLA  Adam Wainwright STL *  Tim Wakefield BOS  Chien-Ming Wang WAS  Brandon Webb ARI  C.J. Wilson TEX  Chris Young NYM  If we keep Papi and paps, we'll be lucky to get one good guy off this list. If we let one go, we may get 2. If both go, we may be able to get 3, and not 3 top ones either... so again, someone tell me how we keep the budget about the same and get 3 of these starters, so we can cut Wake loose... Crickets (Also, if we let Paplebon walk, we'll need to spend on the pen anyways... we might need to even if we keep him. We can't use his money on a starter.) We have 3 near sure bets next year: Beckett, Lester, and Buchholtz. As most years have shown us, we will need 7-9 starters, of which after those bis 3, 2 more should be quality #4 type starters at worst.  Someone come up with a plan with a detailed budget breakdown, where we can stay at about the same budget we are now, and can have a better #6-7 guy than Wake. (BTW, there are no better #6/7 starters in MLB for $1-2M, unless it's a freaky find.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

How about going all out for Yu Darvish?  I don't think the Sox would mind a high posting fee - it's the luxury tax they despise, because it puts money in the pockets of other owners.  But his salary would probably be about what Cameron's was, and it would probably surprise most teams who might think the Sox are gun-shy after the soap opera that was Dice-K.  It might help keep Tazawa in a Sox uni, too, and I could see that as a better option than Wake in 2012.  And Dice-K himself could be back by the end of the year.  I'd also like to bring back Miller, and sign Webb to a minor-league contract.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about going all out for Yu Darvish?  I don't think the Sox would mind a high posting fee - it's the luxury tax they despise, because it puts money in the pockets of other owners.  But his salary would probably be about what Cameron's was, and it would probably surprise most teams who might think the Sox are gun-shy after the soap opera that was Dice-K.  It might help keep Tazawa in a Sox uni, too, and I could see that as a better option than Wake in 2012.  And Dice-K himself could be back by the end of the year.  I'd also like to bring back Miller, and sign Webb to a minor-league contract.  

Thanks for trying. Even if you don't count the posting fee, the salary differential would be at least $5M more if he gets "Cam" money. If we sign Papi and Paps, let Scutaro go, and don't upgrade SS, RF, or the pen, we could afford your plan. I'm not sure I'd trust Tazawa, although I like him, as a better option than Wake. I'd prefer to have both in the 6-8 starter slot. 

I don't think we can stay at about the same budget by letting everyone go except Miller, Papi and Paps and signing Webb and Darvish, but even so, I'd still want Wake behind them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411895. Show user_4411895's posts

It baffles me on how there can be so much hate from RSN for Wakefield.

He is by all accounts a great human being and an incredible team player, doing whatever is asked of him.  I get that he is not Pedro Martinez, but you could have (and *have* had) a lot worse pitchers on your staff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]How about going all out for Yu Darvish?  I don't think the Sox would mind a high posting fee - it's the luxury tax they despise, because it puts money in the pockets of other owners.  But his salary would probably be about what Cameron's was, and it would probably surprise most teams who might think the Sox are gun-shy after the soap opera that was Dice-K.  It might help keep Tazawa in a Sox uni, too, and I could see that as a better option than Wake in 2012.  And Dice-K himself could be back by the end of the year.  I'd also like to bring back Miller, and sign Webb to a minor-league contract.   Thanks for trying. Even if you don't count the posting fee, the salary differential would be at least $5M more if he gets "Cam" money. If we sign Papi and Paps, let Scutaro go, and don't upgrade SS, RF, or the pen, we could afford your plan. I'm not sure I'd trust Tazawa, although I like him, as a better option than Wake. I'd prefer to have both in the 6-8 starter slot.  I don't think we can stay at about the same budget by letting everyone go except Miller, Papi and Paps and signing Webb and Darvish, but even so, I'd still want Wake behind them.

How do you mean about the salary differential?   Do you mean after all is said and done, with the dropped salaries, extensions and arbitration factored in, if we retain everybody at their current salaries, we will be $4M under the luxury tax?  Does that include the loss of Okajima's 1.75 and Wake's 2.5?

I chose Cameron because I figured we had his $9M coming off the books.  Gonzalez will add $14M which is what is coming off with Drew.  I think we can re-sign Papi in such a way that saves another 3-4M off the luxury tax - I don't know the details exactly, but extra years with favorable club options?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm48. Show jm48's posts

For the price he is worth bringing back. He could do what he was supposed to do this year. Mop up and take a spot start here and there. No one expected the amount of injuries. And let's face it, he is 7-7 and the team has a winning record in games that he has started. More blame goes to the big guys not getting it done in Sept. The lead was big enough that the sox should not even be in this situation. He is what he is. 5th or 6th starter. For 1 to 1.5 million I don't think you can do better.      

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The problem with Wakefield isn't the cost, it's that you're handcuffed by his history with the team.  If it turns out half-way through the season that there are better options for the team, you can't DFA or trade him without blowback from the fans and media, and maybe team-mates.  You have to balance the needs of the team with respect for his career.  If you sign Wakefield, you're likely getting a serviceable 6-7 starter, but you're also guaranteeing the 6-7 spot to a guy all year - how many teams operate like that?  If you take some chances on Webb, Tazawa, Weiland, Miller, etc - even if none of them pan out, you're likely still in contention by the trade deadline.  What (among everything else) is Theo being criticized for now - not adjusting to injuries mid-stream.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But with the issues and question marks this club has to balance in the starting staff for 2012 and the fact that most MLB teams will use 8-10 starters over 162 games, it is hard to let him walk, even with the rather uncompelling stats he has put up since his back injury in mid 2009 IMO. 

I'd love to have 5-6 starters who are #1-3 slot MLB pitchers. It's just not too realistic with so much budget money tied up in Crawford and Lackey. We will be needing money later to extend Ellsbury and others.

I have documented Wake's numbers from 2007 to mid 2009 from nearly every angle. His numbers from age 40-42 were pretty impressive. Alot has been made of his decline from mid 2009 to now. I don't disagree. His numbers are down, but from 2007 to mid 2009, he was our #4/5 starter, who at times was putting up #2-3 starter numbers, From mid 2009 to now, he has been our #6-7 starter, yet people are still trying to judge him as a #4-5 guy. I went team by team and showed how many Al teams have a top 5 starter with a 5.00+ ERA. Some have more than 1. Almost every AL team who has gone to the WS the last 7 years has had a top 5 starter (by number of starts) with an ERA over 5.00. People seem shocked that the concept is acceptable by some GMs. They may not like it, but there's not much choice. Softy's concept that there are several pitchers available for the taking around the league, and several kids in our system being "held back" has been exposed as noithing short of insanity. Let's start one this Sunday: name names! 

Let's look closer at what Wake has given us since his injury midway through 2009:
    Start by start...

IP  ER  H+BB
    7.0  1  7
    6.0  4  9
    5.0  4  12
    3.0  5  9
    7.0  2  7
    5.1  5  11
    6.0  6  12
    6.2  2  8
    7.0  3  6
    8.0  0  7
    3.2  9  15
    6.0  6  8
    7.1  4  8
    7.1  1  4
    6.1  3  7
    7.0  3  13
    8.0  2  8
    5.2  6  10
    2.0  6  8
    6.0  3  5
    5.2  3  8
    5.0  4  8
    5.0  5  10
    5.2  1  4
    4.1  6  13
    6.2  1  5
    7.0  2  7
    6.0  4  8
    5.1  5  11
    7.0  1  9 
    8.0  3  4
    5.1  5  11
    7.0  3  10
    4.2  3  11
    6.1  7  11
    7.0  3  8
    6.2  3  7
    7.0  3  8
    8.0  4  11
    5.1  4  9
    4.0  4  10
    5.0  4  6
    6.0  5  8
    5.0  2  7

45 starts
    Good to Great:               11   (5+ IP 0-1 ER, 6.2 IP 0-2  ER, or 8+IP 0-3 ER)
    OK to Decent:                  8     (5 IP 2 ER, 6.2 IP 3 ER, 8 IP 4 ER)
    Not bad to Fair:               4    (5.2 IP 3 ER, 7.1 IP 4 ER) 
    Not good, but winable:  11 (Basically less ERs than IP)
    Horrible starts:               10 (More ERs than IP/almost impossible to win)

33 of 45 starts were winable.
    22 of 45 were not bad to great.

I'll take those numbers next year from our 7th starter.

Miller's average start with the Sox:
    4.9 IP  3 ER  9 H+BB (ERA: 5.55/  WHIP 1.800)
    It's worse if you expand his sample size to 2009-2011.

I don't need to post Weiland's or Lackey's numbers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

NO!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Not that any of us fans have anything to say about who the Sox sign or don't sign,but with that said I'ld bring him back until he passes Roger for the most wins in team history! Also he was OK up until about his tenth game and then things went sideways,if they don't re-sign him it would be funny if they brought Charlie Haeger in too replace him! No matter what happens Wakes has been one the most popular player on the Sox for almost 2 decades!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]Move on to what? Dice-K? Lackey? Miller? Weiland? Our budget is crippled by the CC and lackey signings. We can't afford 2-3 better starters via Free agency, unless we open holes at DH, Closer, SS, and elsewhere. Next year, we can only hope Lester, Beckett and Buch stay healthy. Without anyone better within the system, keeping Wake for about $1M to be an insurance policy is the right thing to do. The 200 win fiasco is past. Next year, we should know to use Wake for only 15 starts or so.

Good points moon.  For what the guy gets paid, it's a heck of alot better deal than we're getting from Lackey, Dice-K, etal.  For crying out loud, the guy's an emergency starter and potential long reliever.  He'll have his share of buttock-whippings and decent starts.  You might think we were paying him, oh, I don't know - LACKEY MONEY or something.  He's old yes, his best days are behind him yes, but at the end of the day, he serves a purpose on our staff that nobody else has seemed to step into with any aplomb.  Also, perhaps Tito can actually try playing the starters when Wake starts instead of resting two or three guys and playing our AAA squad in their place.

Sections
Shortcuts