Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

Wakefield is a laughing stock. Can't pitch or field! Release him during this game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I guess the 18 people who voted yeas are Yankee fans.
    I appreciate what Wake has done for this club, but now that he has his 200 wins, it is truly time to go, and i mean that immediately after the 200th win he shouldn't be in the game today.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

[QUOTE]Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

That really isn't even the question, the real question is... Is Wakefield man enough to retire ? He has to know all he is doing is hurting the club, the club that has been so good to him for so many years... Man up Wake and do the right thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah Wake... make way for lackey, Miller, and Weiland. These guys can do much better! You are holding back their progress!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Only way he is extended is as a reliever...   If he can't get through   5 innings    now what's the point   He got 200 wins... and to be the  winnigest in Sox history   a lot of guys would have been if they  pitched  18 years here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Only way he is extended is as a reliever...   If he can't get through   5 innings    now what's the point   He got 200 wins... and to be the  winnigest in Sox history   a lot of guys would have been if they  pitched  18 years here.
    Posted by jackyldo[/QUOTE]

He's got past 5 IP more than any other starter on the team, except Beckett and Lester. 

You guys keep expecting ace numbers from our #6/7 guy!

You guys keep wanting to boot our 4th or 5th best starter before we figure out what to do with the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th best starters.

Until theo locks up 3 more solid starters for next year (highly unlikely), Wake is a good value as a 7th starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wakefield isn't a good value as a grounds crew member.

Wakefield was a laughing stock. Management needs to think twice before bringing back this joke for ceremonial tour Part 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Talk about questions that don't deserve a serious answer

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some clowns have no sense of humor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Doubrant looked good, and was quite fair in 2010.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Enough wakefield. He can barely walk at this point and is not able to field his position whatsoever. Not to mention that he is a terrible pitcher. He needs to retire. He got win number 200. Call it a career. All he is doing at this point is hurting the team and taking up a roster spot that could be given to someone useful. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

[QUOTE]NOOOOOOOO!!!! Enough wakefield. He can barely walk at this point and is not able to field his position whatsoever. Not to mention that he is a terrible pitcher. He needs to retire. He got win number 200. Call it a career. All he is doing at this point is hurting the team and taking up a roster spot that could be given to someone useful. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

i m with you on this one pride, he is 1 and 5 this month, a blind drunk in a bar can have that record, and the manager is in love with this guy, when i saw him in todays game i knew it was a loss so i didnt waste my time watching game one. hopefully we can get someone from the minors, maybe doubrant will step up. i dont think we will be spending a lot on pitching next year with the c.c. contract

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Wakefield has 2 camps; the supporters and naysayers; while he's not a premium pitcher anymore, he's still an innings eater, and I can almost guarantee that another team would pick him up; including you know who.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wake looks uncatchable by Salty. I doubt Salty is replaced, which doesn't bode well for Wake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield has 2 camps; the supporters and naysayers; while he's not a premium pitcher anymore, he's still an innings eater, and I can almost guarantee that another team would pick him up; including you know who.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tang1. Show tang1's posts

steve ,i dont know how many teams would want wake, hes cheap but you also need a catcher that can handle the knuckle ball, wake is all over the place and stolen bases are another problem when he is pitching, innings eater is not a good idea if you give up 5 runs in two innings, hes more of a mop up pitcher, we have enough of those now, we have guys in pawtucket that can handle his role

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

While I think Moon has some valid points about Wakefield, He will be another year older next year, and eventually it isn't there anymore. I would try to fill that spot with someone younger.

LesPaul: Do you need to be so caustic in your opinions? You seem to be using these opinions to attack and insult, instead of to discuss and analyze. What good does that do? It seems that you have both knowledge of the game and a passion for it, so why not focus on those things instead of being so vitriolic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While I think Moon has some valid points about Wakefield, He will be another year older next year, and eventually it isn't there anymore. I would try to fill that spot with someone younger.

I'd love someone younger and or better, but good pitchers are not cheap. If our budget allows us to get 2-3 solid starters this winter, then fine... adios Tim. I just don't see that happening, so I'd like to have Wake in the wings in case Douby and Weiland don't pan out. If a kid looks good in ST or AAA, bring him up and sit Wake down or find a phantom DL for him.

This is such a minor issue we are talking about. Think about it: we are spending all this time discussing next year's 7th starter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : I'm hoping Wake makes the decision to retire but when you look at Lackey, Miller, Tazawa, Weiland, Dice and probably replacing Bedard.  Wakes stats don't look so bad at number 6 or 7 for the price.  It all depends on where Wake may be standing when Theo decides to bring that "big broom" in to sweep up the mess.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Where have you been?  Craze, Theo will be under the broom, not wielding it this time!  Wake gets extended only if he agrees to pitch for the Lowell Spinners.  He is unacceptable anymore and has pitched atrociously for 3 months now. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Paul Byrd was in the wings. Wakefiled can wait in the wings from his house.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Yes,

for somewhere around 1.25 million, however he is probably a spot starter at best and insurance for injuries to the presumptive front 5 and as previously stated 15 starts at most otherwise we are probably in injury trouble again.  The 5 starters will include:

1. Beckett
    2. Lester,
    3. Buchholz
    4. Lackey
    5. Dubront, Bedard, Tazawa, Miller, Weiland, or a free agent pickup
    6. Wake

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Paul Byrd was in the wings . Wakefiled can wait in the wings from his house.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That could be an option, but Wake may play elsewhere if not offered a contract. At about $1M, he's a good gamble.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Yes, to a personal services contract, do the same with Tec.  Can be 2-3 yrs!
    Bring both to spring training.  If not needed on the roster, Wakes to PR, Tec: to coaching...Bench Coach?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Yes,   for somewhere around 1.25 million, however he is probably a spot starter at best and insurance for injuries to the presumptive front 5 and as previously stated 15 starts at most otherwise we are probably in injury trouble again.  The 5 starters will include: 1. Beckett 2. Lester, 3. Buchholz 4. Lackey 5. Dubront, Bedard, Tazawa, Miller, Weiland, or a free agent pickup 6. Wake
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Bedard is a FA.
    Tazawa is a FA.
    Miller has a $3M option.
    Lackey is a bigger question mark than Wake.
    Dice-K may be back in August
    Buch has back issues-known to reoccur.
    Beckett is hurt every other year.
    Weiland and Doubront are huge question marks.
    Lester is a cancer survivor.

Wake is a cheap insurance policy.