Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?

With the loss of Buchholz, we don't have a quality number 3 starter. Can the Sox still defeat the Giants or Phillies?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?

Sure. Anything's possible. The question is, will they get to the World Series?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-The-Babe-(. Show )-The-Babe-('s posts

Re: Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?

In Response to Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?:
    With the loss of Buchholz, we don't have a quality number 3 starter. Can the Sox still defeat the Giants or Phillies?

Posted by Mr.Bump

I doubt they will have to worry about that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Bedard will emerge as a quality number 3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The simple, direct answer is no way. Now if Bedard emerges as a "quality" #3 then yes, IF we make it to the World Series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look at some of the recent past WS winner's 3rd starters (by most IP/season).

'10-SF:
    Barry Zito  9-14  4.15 (NL)
     (J. Sanchez  13-9  3.07 - 33 starts)

'09-NYY
    #2 Burnett (33 starts) 13-9  4.04/1.401 WHIP
    #3 Pettitte (33 starts) 14-8  4.16/1.382
    #4 Joba       (32 starts)  9-6  4.75/1.544

'08-Philly
    #3 Myers (30)  10-13  4.55/1.379 (NL)
    #4 Kendrick (30) 11-9 5.49/1.612  

'07-Bos
    #1 Dice-K  15-12  (32) 4.40/1.324
    #3 Wake    17-12  (31) 4.76/1.349
    #4 Schill       9-8    (24) 3.87/1.245
    #5 Tavarez 7-11  (23)  5.15/1.500

'06-StL (NL)
    #2 Marquis (33)  14-16  6.02/1.523
    #3 Suppan  (32)  12-7   4.12/1.453
    #4 Mulder   (17) 6-7 7.14/1.794  

'05-CWS
    4 starters all with 32-33 starts & below 3.61 ERA ans 1.250 WHIP

'04- Bos
    #3 Wake  (30) 12-10  4.87/1.381
    #4 Lowe   (33) 14-12 5.42/1.615

Looks like many teams have won with queestionable 3rd starters.

This year, Philly has 3 top starters all with 24-25 starts and all under 2.83 ERAs! All with under 1.087 WHIPs. Their 4th/5th starters;
    Worley  (16) 8-1  2.85/1.116
    Oswalt  (15) 5-7  3.84/1.375

The Yanks have some good numbers from Garcia and Colon so far, but Burnett has about 25 IP more than each of them. (Burnett 8-9  4.60/1.359)

Texas has 2 of their top starters with ERAs over 4.00 and Holland has a 1.411 WHIP.

Bedard has nice numbers for a #3, but they are effected by the big Seattle home park and he has been hurt.
    Lackey and Wake would not be great #3 starters for the playoffs, but Wake's numbers are better than many on the list of WS winning #3s in recent years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

One thing I've learned about baseball is that you can't depend on what you've learned. 

CAN they win it?  Sure.  Granted, it'd be tougher against the Phillies, but there's no ironclad guarantee that the Phils will even be there.  Strange stuff happens.

I think I remember a series recently where Beckett, Wake, and Lester were scheduled to start and there was confidence in Beckett and Lester and much hand-wringing over Wake.  It's baseball and strange stuff happens.

The best memory I have of that is '04.  Just think of the $$$ I could have made had I bet on Lowe to win two games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No. 3s are overrated ask Schilling/Johnson for Arizona.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

NO!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wake's numbers are better than many on the list of WS winning #3s in recent years.

Wake came up big as #3 starter in 2004 playoffs.

Lester wasn't on 2007 team. Wakefield was #3 or #4. Wakefield is a rock. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The answer is yes. The question is, do we have a quality number three? And we won't know that until November.

I doubt the Giants expected Madison Bumgarner to go 2-0 with a 2.18 ERA in the postseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?:
    Posted by Mr.Bump

Is it not possible that a good manager move could overcome not having a great #3? What if you start our #3 against their #1 then our #1 against their #2 and our #2 against their #3?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?:
    In Response to Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter? : I doubt they will have to worry about that.
    Posted by )-The-Babe-(

So you think it'll be the Brewers in the NL?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The way I see it, the sole reason that Bedard is not seen as being in the upper echelon of pitchers in the A.L. is because of his inability to stay on the field.  But when he is onthe field, his numbers are pretty darn good.  So, as long as he is on the field and healthy (knock on wood), no reason to think he is not going to be a real solid #3.  I think the vague notion about  his heart not being in it or whatever, I don't buy into any of that press-driven hocum.  He has been in Seattle and B-More.  Verdict is still out.  I think he will take to being in a pennant race at long last the way a tick takes to a coon dog's azz.  I have liked the way he has looked out there(if it is possible to glimpse into a player's soul when you watch him play).  Calm and collected.  Call it poise.  And, in what should really still have been AAA rehab starts for him, he has pitched smart and pitched well, if not totally sharp yet.  And I like an AL East vet.  Different intro to the Sox world than say, Beckett or Lackey.  Erik stays healthy, he is our real solid #3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Re: Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter?:
    The way I see it, the sole reason that Bedard is not seen as being in the upper echelon of pitchers in the A.L. is because of his inability to stay on the field.  But when he is onthe field, his numbers are pretty darn good.  So, as long as he is on the field and healthy (knock on wood), no reason to think he is not going to be a real solid #3.  I think the vague notion about  his heart not being in it or whatever, I don't buy into any of that press-driven hocum.  He has been in Seattle and B-More.  Verdict is still out.  I think he will take to being in a pennant race at long last the way a tick takes to a coon dog's azz.  I have liked the way he has looked out there(if it is possible to glimpse into a player's soul when you watch him play).  Calm and collected.  Call it poise.  And, in what should really still have been AAA rehab starts for him, he has pitched smart and pitched well, if not totally sharp yet.  And I like an AL East vet.  Different intro to the Sox world than say, Beckett or Lackey.  Erik stays healthy, he is our real solid #3.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

A healthy Bedard pitching like he can would certainly be a plus and Francona and Epstein will obviously be evaluating how he and Lackey pitch against playoff caliber teams heading into the postseason.  That being said, Lester is the unquestioned ace of the staff, Beckett is showing signs of being the number 3 type of guy he is (bombs away) and has been for most of his career (his  numbers strongly compare to Kevin Millwood and his current teammate Lackey).  The Texas Rangers might be the biggest obstacle to getting deep into the postseason assuming they hang on in the west.  The 4 game series next week at Texas will provide some insight as to how the 2 playoff bound teams match up late in the season when healthy.  Even then, pitching matchups in regular season series generally do not match up with likely postseason pairings. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Posted by Mr.Bump

1st you have to get by detroit, texas or ny

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If your #1 and 2 starters are really getting it done then you certainly have a chance in the World Series.  They could win games 1, 2, 5 and 6 for you.  Or, your #3 starter could have a better than normal performance and win a game for you.  Or, you could outslug them in game 3 or 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Do you feel the Sox can win the World Series without a quality number 3 starter? : 1st you have to get by detroit, texas or ny
    Posted by Bralon

Absolutely, you can't take anything for granted.  The Yankees and Rangers are just tough opponents, and the Tigers have Verlander.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WC5842. Show WC5842's posts

They can't even win a series against Seattle without a #3 Starter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The playoffs are always a crapshoot.  Since the dawn of the WC, I believe that the WC has won the WS as often as the best record in BB.

Even after that, you have to define what a quality #3 is.  Bedard, on ERA, qualifies as a #2, when healthy.  Lackey has won 6 in a row with a 3.92.  If Lackey continues to pitch like this, and Bedard is healthy in October, I think they are as good as anyone, except Philly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, I have my doubts about Beckett and Lester after recent outings. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Only if your #1 and #2 pitch like 1's and 2's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Actually, I have my doubts about Beckett and Lester after recent outings. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Sabathia has given up 12 earned runs in 14 innings in his last 2 starts.  All these guys have rough patches. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

The Sox offense being able to hit good pitching is what should hopefully carry them in October.  And then the number 3 starter won't be an issue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

solid post spaceman

I agree a healthy bedard come PO time

is in the  least a v good #3

Sections
Shortcuts