Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

What would you like to say to him?

Kevin Gregg:"They are going to whine and complain about it because they think they are better than anybody else, but we have just as much right to pitch inside. You get tired of going out there and getting your butt kicked when you come in here you have to stick up for what is ours. I think we showed them we are not backing down. We are not scared of them and their $180 million dollar payroll. We are here to play the game, and we have every right to play the game and do everything we can to win.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

In Response to Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    [QUOTE] What would you like to say to him? Kevin Gregg:"They are going to whine and complain about it because they think they are better than anybody else, but we have just as much right to pitch inside. You get tired of going out there and getting your butt kicked when you come in here you have to stick up for what is ours. I think we showed them we are not backing down. We are not scared of them and their $180 million dollar payroll. We are here to play the game, and we have every right to play the game and do everything we can to win.”
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Tell him to stop eating his manager's lines word for word.  This is the same rhetoric the Buck started ST with .... and then apologized to Francona for sounding like the last cheerleader selected for JVs when she was sure varsity could not survive without her - or him (Don't want to be sexist here.)

I USED to respect Showalter, but after hearing his sophomoric efforts to charge up his guys - and watch his facial expressions when three close ones came at Papi last night - I find he's trying to use the lowest denominator for motivation he can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

Your manager has lead you the wrong way...by the way..hows 5 teams in 6 years make you feel like? pretty unwanted I would guess..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Tell him to stop eating his manager's lines word for word.  This is the same rhetoric the Buck started ST with .... and then apologized to Francona for sounding like the last cheerleader selected for JVs when she was sure varsity could not survive without her - or him (Don't want to be sexist here.) I USED to respect Showalter, but after hearing his sophomoric efforts to charge up his guys - and watch his facial expressions when three close ones came at Papi last night - I find he's trying to use the lowest denominator for motivation he can.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Sooooo....  I guess I was not the only one who thought that sounded completely the same as his manager's comment ages ago.  Seems the O's are firing themselves up with a little old fashioned hate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd make the suggestion for him to learn how to pitch.If he can't hit a target as big as Ortiz with 3 pitches,he should spend some time in the minors. I'd also tell him to get his facts straight.The Red Sox payroll is NOT 180 million,it's $163,822,475.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    [QUOTE]Your manager has lead you the wrong way...by the way..hows 5 teams in 6 years make you feel like? pretty unwanted I would guess..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

LOL 777

of course the other side of that is  5 teams wanted him ;-)

showater is clearly desperate here,

if he thinks his team is somewhat intimidated by the sox

not sure we should be to hard on him

oakland owned the yanks when he became our mgr

I can't remember the details

but it ended up with buck & LaRuso face to face in a very heated discussion

for what ever reason everything changed

and the yanks started to own the A's

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]I'd make the suggestion for him to learn how to pitch.If he can't hit a target as big as Ortiz with 3 pitches,he should spend some time in the minors. I'd also tell him to get his facts straight.The Red Sox payroll is NOT 180 million,it's $163,822,475.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

exactly

so why do so many assume he was trying to hit him

and not just  moving him back & changing his comfort level

"To me it's a situation where the place to get Ortiz out is in," he said, explaining his three pitches that all narrowly missed Ortiz in the eighth inning. "He acted like it was at his head. ... He's real comfortable in there. The place to get him out is in. So I'm gonna pitch him in."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]I'd make the suggestion for him to learn how to pitch.If he can't hit a target as big as Ortiz with 3 pitches,he should spend some time in the minors. I'd also tell him to get his facts straight.The Red Sox payroll is NOT 180 million,it's $163,822,475.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Great response. Even half of those on this forum forget what our payroll is.

$164 mil. everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : LOL 777 of course the other side of that is  5 teams wanted him ;-) showater is clearly desperate here,   if he thinks his team is somewhat intimidated by the sox not sure we should be to hard on him oakland owned the yanks when he became our mgr I can't remember the details but it ended up with buck & LaRuso face to face in a very heated discussion for what ever reason everything changed   and the yanks started to own the A's
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

very true Zac, yet they all realized the same thing the team before them did..and all within 1 season..He throws a straight FB that is very hittable IMO..Why bring a 6'6 250lb closer in the game in that situation without having intent? BS is a desperate little man-ager..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's not like the players pay themselves,  and I'm pretty sure there is no correlation between payroll size and the event of being upset and possibly charging the mound when someone pitches you inside and inevitably hits you.  I have no statistical data to back this up, but it just seems logical and reasonable to me. 

pitching inside is part of the game, and players who feel like they've been hit on purpose often charge the mound.  Maybe some think that is classless but personally I don't think it is.  People have lost their careers and even their lives due to being hit by a pitch and If I felt like I've been hit on purpose (and we all know it happens all the time)  then I'll take that as a personal attack, and you can bet I'd be charging the mound. 

What happens when two people get into a bad fight?  Their tends to be a lot of smack talk;  that's all this is, just a bunch of trash talking Orioles.  Gregg has a big mouth and I hope it wakes up (as if they need it) the Sox and they just bury them into the ground today.

Sox 25 - Orioles 1

that would shut them up. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : LOL 777 of course the other side of that is  5 teams wanted him ;-) showater is clearly desperate here,   if he thinks his team is somewhat intimidated by the sox not sure we should be to hard on him oakland owned the yanks when he became our mgr I can't remember the details but it ended up with buck & LaRuso face to face in a very heated discussion for what ever reason everything changed   and the yanks started to own the A's

Will you make up your mind if you are a Yankee fan or a Red Sox fan? Jessetyeric and NHSteven seem to have that problem also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : exactly so why do so many assume he was trying to hit him and not just  moving him back & changing his comfort level "To me it's a situation where the place to get Ortiz out is in," he said, explaining his three pitches that all narrowly missed Ortiz in the eighth inning. "He acted like it was at his head. ... He's real comfortable in there. The place to get him out is in. So I'm gonna pitch him in ."

There's a reason Gregg's not on a contending team and is so well traveled,because he's not a very good pitcher.It's obvious what he was trying to do but he just couldn't get it done even with 3 attempts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure that throwing at a guy does much in the way getting another teams respect. Unless it's done in the time honored tradition of protecting your own hitters. Not sure that Gregg's comments about "pitching inside" for a guy that's been in the league for some 5 years lends credence to his teams mantra...unless he somehow decide last night that it was time to take away the inner half...please. It's bush league stuff at best...

I get what Showwalter's doing, just not sure he's taking the right approach. He's taking a page right out of the how to develop a young team to compete at a high level manual and doing many of the same things that Maddon did in 2008 with the Rays and that's trying to instill some aggressision in the teams play and to get them to believe they belong on the same field. Although Maddon did it by having his guys run over a couple of catchers in spring training that year and also implented the same aggresive baserunning game he learned from Mike Sociccia in Anahiem. He didn't chirp in the press about the advantages of the other teams, not did he make statements about playing hardball, he simply allowed his team's play to speak for itself and after about a month into the season everyone took notice...the difference between the two teams approach is Showalter's arrogance and his desire to be the front man and the operall lack of talant on the Orioles roster makes him look like he's fightin the wrong fight. There's a reason he's been canned twice and my guess is that he's on his way to a third...He might actually want to start developing his pitchers how to pitch and to throw the ball over the plate intead of "pitching inside" in an attemp to send a message, cause belive it or not, the league just like in 2008 already got the message and the reply is you guys still stink!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

so exactly what did he say to ortiz as david was running down the first base line that got david so upset? all I saw was the pitcher pointing to david and saying something and then all hell breaks loose.

and for the clown that said the red sox players are poor role models??????

this is the american league east pal.......the toughest division in all of the big leagues. this team comes to play hard every day. they will fight and scratch for every at bat. they are currently in first place after starting out 2-10. you want role models? go root for the fkn oriholes.

message to buck: what goes around comes around eh buck? who you gonna go manage for after balt throws your sorry azz to the curb? loser.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Hi Hammah.

"I think there are some ethics to this game, guidelines that you got to stay within," Gregg said. "You know, run. You hit a lazy fly, you've got to run the bases. Apparently he didn't like me telling him that stuff and he came out there. That's part of the game, he has the right to come out there, and I'm going to defend myself if he comes out."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Sooooo....  I guess I was not the only one who thought that sounded completely the same as his manager's comment ages ago.  Seems the O's are firing themselves up with a little old fashioned hate.
    Posted by HankukSox[/QUOTE]

You're dead on, HK ...

It was a stupid thing to say anyway, but then he nearly kirtsied before the press in apologizing to openly to tito.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Shohwalter should be ashamed of himself, ginning up his players like that.

He is trying to make them feel good about themselves by encouraging their combativeness. 

They lose the game; they win the fight.  So they can feel really good about themselves.

This is baseball, Buck. Not hockey.

So this is what a MORON looks like.

Hey, Mr. Anger Management: how's that 36-50 record workin' out for ya?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Buck is to blame ... his comments ater the game show that.  Gregg has a huge ego for a loser.  My advice to him is make sure you hit the guy you throw at. 

How about Bucky-boy gets his players to play some defense and stop booting balls and missing plays?   There is a thought for him.  Even the Pirates play good defense, what is his lame excuse?  He has no control over that team, they are down to the pathetic level.

Now, if only Lackey could pull off a solid start today.  Why do I feel like this is going to be a long day?

Sox bats better be smoking. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I hope you pitch in the Wednesday June 20th game vs the Red Sox in Baltimore!     I am sure you will be getting a lot of boos at "home"!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Ive always hated when batters are thrown at! But the pitchers do deserve the inside of the plate. Maybe three insiders (Each time closer) is wrong. But the real issue is the lack of class that Greg showed by yelling at a player on another team telling him basically to hustle. With the Ump throwing out immediately because of his comments, shows me that this was intent to start the problem and may also lend that indeed he was throwing inside to intimidate and possibly hit Papi. While this should be water over the dam it wont be. Lackey pitches today and has already shown this year that he will not tolerate a pitcher on another team doing this to a teammate. I hope the Sox keep their cool and concentrate on winning. I think beating the O's solidly again will prove the point that the Sox back up their mouths with their game and not their game with their mouths, which some of the O's are trying to do! Another sorry day for baseball. As far as Greg? He is not all that bad of a reliever compared to all the relievers out there, maybe he should work on his pitching instead of his baiting other players. He could even stick with a team longer that way and extend his career!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Here's my message for Kevin Gregg:

View Image

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Savard91dangles. Show Savard91dangles's posts

It's not our fault that you aren't good enough to play on a good baseball team. Quit whining that you don't make enough money on the Orioles. You had 4 other teams with good payrolls that would pay you more. Ortiz doesn't need to learn anything. He is slow to get to first anyways. You failed twice to hit him and you missed. It's almost as bad as the Vancouver riots. They don't know how to take a loss and neither do you. So take that loss and shove it up yours Gregg!!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

My message for Gregg and Buck:

"Now you've done it!  Now you've got this Red Sox team, who's thus far been playing only with their talent - and in the process embarrassing your team - NOW you've got them so they'll play with emotion too.  Let's see how that works out for you."

"My prediction is that the Sox will pour it on and pour it on and pour it on to you the rest of the season.  No lead will be big enough, and in the end the Sox will make the O's look worse than they are, if that's possible."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Exactly, it is 165 million and there are a few teams that have a much higher payroll....so......I'd like to see Gregg make these same statements about the yankees, phillies, and i believe the tigers............

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=550abfb83dc14be6dc591f4af5218b42&plckUserId=550abfb83dc14be6dc591f4af5218b42">
    First: 2/4/2011
    Last: 7/9/2011
    I'd make the suggestion for him to learn how to pitch.If he can't hit a target as big as Ortiz with 3 pitches,he should spend some time in the minors. I'd also tell him to get his facts straight.The Red Sox payroll is NOT 180 million,it's $163,822,475.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

exactly

so why do so many assume he was trying to hit him

and not just moving him back & changing his comfort level

What's up Zac?  Whatever happened to the "Reply" feature on these boards???  Love your new-ish picture.  One of my favorite ads.

Gregg was trying to hit Papi.  Watch the highlights.  The sucky part is he couldn't get the job done.  To be fair, though, Gregg wasn't headhunting; he did it the "right" way.  But he was definitely trying to plunk Papi.

Does Showalter make the same comments about the Yanks or Mets?  He sure hates the fact that the Sox are loaded with cash and talent.  He's a good manager stuck on a dead end team, but honestly, his comments reek of contempt.  When the season started, he commented that he "...loves beating up on this team (the Sox) and their payroll."  That's a paraphrase.

Enjoy your summer, Zac.  I'm pulling for Jeter...

Sections
Shortcuts