Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

The Orioles are just jealous because they are living in poverty, compared to those uptown Sox boys. 

Those Sox all make 8 figures a year, while those ghetto Orioles have to learn to live on only 6-7 figures a year....it's tough to live off of only a few million a year....really really really tough.  Yeah those Sox are evil, and those dirt poor Orioles are the underdog saviors of baseball.....God I hope we crush them today. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

Seriosuly, Kevin Gregg needs to stop fighting for pride and maybe concentrate on the fact that he has been the worst closer in baseball over the last several seasons...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    [QUOTE]The Orioles are just jealous because they are living in poverty, compared to those uptown Sox boys.  Those Sox all make 8 figures a year, while those ghetto Orioles have to learn to live on only 6-7 figures a year....it's tough to live off of only a few million a year....really really really tough.  Yeah those Sox are evil, and those dirt poor Orioles are the underdog saviors of baseball.....God I hope we crush them today. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Do the Orioles realize  how collectively stupid they look with their repeated references to the Sox payroll?  "Oh yeah, they are $180mill snobs!"

Excuse me, Mr. Showalter, but your team does make $85mil, which is not exactly chump change, even in the MLB salary scale.

So pardon the Sox for thinking their $163mill team is better than your $85mill team that will be lucky to finish 4th...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Baltimore is a much larger market than Boston.  Boston may have the 3rd or 4th highest payroll but they hardly play in the largest market.  Baltimore has an unfair advantage of playing in a larger market; it's their own fault that they squandered this innate advantage.  Smoke on that Buck!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Do the Orioles realize  how collectively stupid they look with their repeated references to the Sox payroll?  "Oh yeah, they are $180mill snobs!" Excuse me, Mr. Showalter, but your team does make $85mil, which is not exactly chump change, even in the MLB salary scale. So pardon the Sox for thinking their $163mill team is better than your $85mill team that will be lucky to finish 4th...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

It's as if they think the average American might think "those evil red sox make so much money yet Gregg only makes a miserable 5 million a year" 

At the end of the day all these guys are overpaid,  It's one thing when a fan complains about it but a Player (whose making 5 million) those just ridiculous. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from koncretekite. Show koncretekite's posts

Maybe if Baltimore fans supported baseball the way Boston, New York, and Philly fans do, they wouldn't have such a terrible roster? Don't blame Boston for their payroll. We go to the games, buy the merch, and support the team. The Orioles have been a joke for quite some time now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]Seriosuly, Kevin Gregg needs to stop fighting for pride and maybe concentrate on the fact that he has been the worst closer in baseball over the last several seasons...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Papi was totally off base charging the mound. Gregg was just trying to pitch Papi outside. 
    Gregg: "I dont know why he charged the mound. Someone needs to ask him. I was just trying to paint the outside corner. Its not my fault I suck that badly. If I wanted to hit him I would try to throw one over the middle of the plate."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Tell him to stop eating his manager's lines word for word.  This is the same rhetoric the Buck started ST with .... and then apologized to Francona for sounding like the last cheerleader selected for JVs when she was sure varsity could not survive without her - or him (Don't want to be sexist here.) I USED to respect Showalter, but after hearing his sophomoric efforts to charge up his guys - and watch his facial expressions when three close ones came at Papi last night - I find he's trying to use the lowest denominator for motivation he can.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

That's the first thing that came to my mind.  The fact that he said it was $180M, when it isn't really $180M, tells me that Buck told him to say it.

Buck wouldn't have told him to say it unless Buck thought he'd have a reason to say it in front of a crowd of reporters.  Buck must've suspected there would be a big post-game news conference.  Kind of interesting also that you put your closer in for a blowout.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe----. Show --The--Babe----'s posts

But harness said the orioles would finish in second place and take the wild card.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The only whining I'm hearing is from Gregg and the Orioles. 

What a big man he is. Normally you'd think the way to show a team "you're not afraid of them" would be to play well and beat them on the field, not start pathetic little fights like this when you're down by 7 runs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : exactly so why do so many assume he was trying to hit him and not just  moving him back & changing his comfort level "To me it's a situation where the place to get Ortiz out is in," he said, explaining his three pitches that all narrowly missed Ortiz in the eighth inning. "He acted like it was at his head. ... He's real comfortable in there. The place to get him out is in. So I'm gonna pitch him in ."
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Because when you hit someone, it's a bit more obvious.  Schowalter wanted to start a fight because his rah-rah speech went by the boards.  But he wanted it to look like it was the big, bad RS that started it.  He put in his closer in a blowout.  He told him to start a fight and made him memorize a post-game speech.  He threw three times inside to goad Papi.  When that didn't work, he became frustrated and started yelling at Papi as he ran.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I dont agree with what Gregg said after the game, but I think Papi was out of line during the game.  Pitchers do have the right to move a guy off the plate and pitch inside so:

1) I heard people say well he doesnt have to do that 3 times in a row.  Well if you throw a pitch insdie to back a guy off the plate and he DOESNT back off, what do you do?  You THROW INSIDE AGAIN.  Its part of baseball.

2) I heard people say oh he did it three times he must have been trying to hit him.  First, see 1.  Second do you really think he couldnt hit papi if he wanted too on 3 tries?

3) Not sure why Papi was upset as this time the pitches were all at the hip level.  I remember earlier this here Youk got plunked on the hip in retaliation and after the game he said he understood that was part of the game and that he appreciated the guy hit him on the HIP and not the HEAD. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Here's another note for Gregg:

"If those Sox players and their salaries really annoy you that much, here's a reminder:  If you were good enough to play for The Sox you could make some of that big money too."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : There's a reason Gregg's not on a contending team and is so well traveled,because he's not a very good pitcher.It's obvious what he was trying to do but he just couldn't get it done even with 3 attempts.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Anyone not seeing it for what it was is either a homer of another allegiance, blind as a bat or in complete denial. Gregg's closest inside pitch was the one he targeted for Papi. The others set it up for an alibi ("pitch him inside"...)Once Ortiz warned him, Gregg felt his backbone turn to jello. His actions once Papi headed down to first were that one who was intimidated.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Although it's part of a calculated strategy on the part of a manager who figures he has something to instill in his young players and nothing to lose, the more I think about it, the more I think it was a bad decision.  If you're going to do this sort of thing, it would make more sense to do it on your home turf with the fans behind you.  If the Sox finish off this series with a sweep and the O's continue their slide, this tough guy and "we won't be intimidated by you" act will have little or no residual effect by the time the two teams meet again in Baltimore. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Papi was totally off base charging the mound. Gregg was just trying to pitch Papi outside.  Gregg: "I dont know why he charged the mound. Someone needs to ask him. I was just trying to paint the outside corner. Its not my fault I suck that badly. If I wanted to hit him I would try to throw one over the middle of the plate."
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12[/QUOTE]

Lackey drilled Lee tonight in the 7th with 2 out in retaliation even though Gregg missed Ortiz.  Lol.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Imagine a Red Sox fan complaining about another team's payroll.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Although it's part of a calculated strategy on the part of a manager who figures he has something to install in his young players and nothing to lose, the more I think about it, the more I think it was a bad decision.  If you're going to do this sort of thing, it would make more sense to do it on your home turf with the fans behind you.  If the Sox finish off this series with a sweep and the O's continue their slide, this tough guy and "we won't be intimidated by you" act will have little or no residual effect by the time the two teams meet again in Baltimore. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

I think this whole Showalter thing is blown out of proportion.
    I've been involved in bench-emptying scenarios, and I can tell you it's usually player motivated. Managers get involved if they give a direct order to a pitcher to hit so-and-so or else. I don't see any indication of this in this case.

Weiters/Gregg intended to hit Papi. They used the oldest trick in the book. Make it look like they are pitching him inside. Then they have an alibi. I think after Papi warned Gregg that Weiters, when he went to the mound, told Gregg to cool it.
    But Gregg couldn't let go of it.

Players and fans get caught up in the moment, and then talk as if it was planned from day one of the season. Tempers simply got out of hand. Like when Paps went after the ump after Tek got thrown. There was baiting and there was a short fuse involved.

Calling it right or wrong isn't accurate. It's human nature.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings soup

What's up Zac? Whatever happened to the "Reply" feature on these boards???

if you hold down the 'enter ' button

while you refresh the page ''reply'' should show up

after 1 or 2 times

if not try doing it while clicking your heels together ;-)

or use foxfire

Gregg was trying to hit Papi. Watch the highlights. The sucky part is he couldn't get the job done. To be fair, though, Gregg wasn't headhunting; he did it the "right" way. But he was definitely trying to plunk Papi.

we will have to agree to disagree

no shock there

I think he was trying to do exactly what he did

close, closer and closest

Does Showalter make the same comments about the Yanks or Mets? He sure hates the fact that the Sox are loaded with cash and talent. He's a good manager stuck on a dead end team, but honestly, his comments reek of contempt. When the season started, he commented that he "...loves beating up on this team (the Sox) and their payroll." That's a paraphrase.

no doubt he's no sox fan

Enjoy your summer, Zac. I'm pulling for Jeter...

thanks U2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Learn to draft. they literally have no decent prospects.  Or learn to find good deals.

on the Red Sox right now: yes i know we spend a ton, but we still have homegrown guys, cheap options, and players traded in the minors for like:

Ells, Pedroia, Youk, Tek, Lester, Buchholz, Reddick, Bard, Papelbon, Miller, etc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Because when you hit someone, it's a bit more obvious.  Schowalter wanted to start a fight because his rah-rah speech went by the boards.  But he wanted it to look like it was the big, bad RS that started it.  He put in his closer in a blowout.  He told him to start a fight and made him memorize a post-game speech.  He threw three times inside to goad Papi.  When that didn't work, he became frustrated and started yelling at Papi as he ran.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are saying JB

was he trying to hit him or not ?  I think not

was he trying to goad / play with him

not a doubt in my mind

he threw the bait out and ortiz jumped on it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : I think this whole Showalter thing is blown out of proportion. I've been involved in bench-emptying scenarios, and I can tell you it's usually player motivated. Managers get involved if they give a direct order to a pitcher to hit so-and-so or else. I don't see any indication of this in this case. Weiters/Gregg intended to hit Papi. They used the oldest trick in the book. Make it look like they are pitching him inside. Then they have an alibi. I think after Papi warned Gregg that Weiters, when he went to the mound, told Gregg to cool it. But Gregg couldn't let go of it. Players and fans get caught up in the moment, and then talk as if it was planned from day one of the season. Tempers simply got out of hand. Like when Paps went after the ump after Tek got thrown. There was baiting and there was a short fuse involved. Calling it right or wrong isn't accurate. It's human nature.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Showalter made a direct order, just that he communicated to his pitchers that they should to send a message to the Red Sox hitters like Papi who were getting too comfortable at the plate.   He sort of gave them license, setting the tone for something like this to happen. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE] we will have to agree to disagree no shock there I think he was trying to do exactly what he did close, closer and closest Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

I think you give Gregg too much credit.  His control is not that good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : I don't believe Showalter made a direct order, just that he communicated to his pitchers that they should to send a message to the Red Sox hitters like Papi who were getting too comfortable at the plate.   He sort of gave them license, setting the tone for something like this to happen. 

I have no doubt that Showalter was behind this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : I don't believe Showalter made a direct order, just that he communicated to his pitchersthat they should to send a message to the Red Sox hitters like Papi who were getting too comfortable at the plate.   He sort of gave them license, setting the tone for something like this to happen. 

A coach, especially a manager like Showalter, gets this message across in ST.
    He will not tolerate being intimidated. Whether he reiterated it at that point in time is conjecture. 

Putting myself in his place, no way I put my best reliever in to risk suspension.
    That's like asking Bobby Orr to play J. Wensink's part. Not that I'm comparing a worm like Gregg to a HOF'er...