Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : I have no doubt that Showalter was behind this.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Well, I understand he has a reputation as a control freak. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg?:
    Learn to draft. they literally have no decent prospects.  Or learn to find good deals. on the Red Sox right now: yes i know we spend a ton, but we still have homegrown guys, cheap options, and players traded in the minors for like: Ells, Pedroia, Youk, Tek, Lester, Buchholz, Reddick, Bard, Papelbon, Miller, etc
    Posted by btownteamsrking

The high Red Sox payroll helps acquire the "homegrown guys" in that the Sox can afford players that other teams cannot in the players' arbitration years. The Sox pay the arbitration-salary and then let the free agent walk in exchange for draft picks. Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz and Daniel Bard were selected with compensatory draft picks. The Sox had eight compensatory first-round draft picks in 2005-06, a number that increases a team's chances of draft successes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : A coach, especially a manager like Showalter, gets this message across in ST. He will not tolerate being intimidated. Whether he reiterated it at that point in time is conjecture.  Putting myself in his place, no way I put my best reliever in to risk suspension. That's like asking Bobby Orr to play J. Wensink's part. Not that I'm comparing a worm like Gregg to a HOF'er...
    Posted by harness

Bad comparison.  It's not like the O's are going anywhere and have so much to save him for. 

So, it's conjecture on my part.  Just like it is for you or anybody else with an opinion here.  Nobody has any evidence of what really went on.  That gives us something to discuss on these threads. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I thought his last pitch to Poppy was a little iffy, but as a Sox fan I have no problem if some of the other teams in our division show some spine and attitude. It makes for a better rivarly. The spending disparaties within baseball don't make for a better product, the NFL's system is much better, and I have no problem with Gregg talking some smack. I had no problem with him calling Poppi out for his lazy baserunning either. Bring it on. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I think he was trying to do exactly what he did close, closer and closest

I think you give Gregg too much credit.  His control is not that good.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

so how do you explain the 4th pitch ?

-he was still trying to hit him but threw it over the plate

-he wanted to hit him but was afraid to walk him ?

-or he reached his goal and it was time to move on

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm not sure what you are saying JB

was he trying to hit him or not ?  I think not

was he trying to goad / play with him

not a doubt in my mind

he threw the bait out and ortiz jumped on it

Yup, trying to goad him.  They wanted to look like the victim.  Like it was the big bad RS picking on them.  Gregg just didn't know what to do when he couldn't get Papi to react.  So he yells at him for not sprinting down the line on a popup in a blowout.  My guess is the MLB declares the Os at fault and they get the big suspensions.  Basically, all you need to know is that Gregg was booted by the ump before the fight even started.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Bad comparison.  It's not like the O's are going anywhere and have so much to save him for.  So, it's conjecture on my part.  Just like it is for you or anybody else with an opinion here.  Nobody has any evidence of what really went on.  That gives us something to discuss on these threads. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

That's how we see it. But I guarantee you, that's not how Showalter sees it.
    The O's were solid once he took over last year. The very thing that worked for him then is working against him now. And the pitching is going in the wrong direction. But he didn't give up a cushy, lucrative job as analyst to give up on the next 80 games. I say he would not place his closer at risk of suspension by one foolish act.

As for the incident, we can analyze it all night, which is the fun of it. But when UR involved in it, it's simply a situation where the players get caught up in the moment. I don't agree with how many were involved with planning it. Nor do I see it Joe's way, that Gregg was trying to make himself/his team the victims.

I think it was simply a matter of Gregg saying to Weiters "I'm gonna plug Papi. Let's make it look good". And the chips fell where they did once Gregg got shown-up. It unravelled in more of a heat-of-the-moment incident.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : Will you make up your mind if you are a Yankee fan or a Red Sox fan? Jessetyeric and NHSteven seem to have that problem also.
    Posted by Your-Echo

LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for Kevin, We’re not scared of them and their $180 million payroll’, Gregg? : I think this whole Showalter thing is blown out of proportion. I've been involved in bench-emptying scenarios, and I can tell you it's usually player motivated. Managers get involved if they give a direct order to a pitcher to hit so-and-so or else. I don't see any indication of this in this case. Weiters/Gregg intended to hit Papi. They used the oldest trick in the book. Make it look like they are pitching him inside. Then they have an alibi. I think after Papi warned Gregg that Weiters, when he went to the mound, told Gregg to cool it. But Gregg couldn't let go of it. Players and fans get caught up in the moment, and then talk as if it was planned from day one of the season. Tempers simply got out of hand. Like when Paps went after the ump after Tek got thrown. There was baiting and there was a short fuse involved. Calling it right or wrong isn't accurate. It's human nature.
    Posted by harness

I agree. I think it was totally player-motivated. I also believe it was intentional to try to get Papi to react. Maybe they wanted him out of a few games, who knows?  But I don't see it as being something encouraged by the manager. This Gregg guy seems like an arrogant dude, and doesn't need much encouragement from anyone. And FTR, he's probably heard everything his manager has said, and agreed with him. It doesn't mean he was told to say it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well Kim, if the motivation was to get Papi grounded, they could have gone after AGONE. The fact Papi put them out of the game early and then KO'd Bergenson made him a target, IMO. And Papi knew it after the first pitch.

Gregg showed his colors when he continuedto bait Papi. He's 6'6" tall, but he's small.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Imagine a Red Sox fan complaining about another team's payroll.
    Posted by hill55

I can only speak for myself, but I've never complained about the Yankees' payroll. More than once on this board I've pointed out to others that not only is it really lame for the #2 spending team to be whining about the #1 spending team, but that the Yankees shouldn't have to apologize for having more resources than other teams and for using those resources as they see fit. Neither should the Red Sox have to apologize for spending. Until MLB puts in a salary cap, people will just have to get used to the fact that some teams just have more spending ability than others, and should stop demonizing those teams for it.

These comments from Gregg just sound like the whinings of a bitter sore loser on a loser team. A much smaller payroll hasn't stopped the Rays from being competitive in the AL East the past few years...it's time for the Orioles to get off that excuse and accept that they just plain suck.

Regardless, it's all really a moot point since the Red Sox payroll has zero to do with what went on between Gregg and Ortiz on Friday night, and it was just a BS attempt to justify Gregg's immature and punk-like behavior.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

so how do you explain the 4th pitch ? -he was still trying to hit him but threw it over the plate Posted by pinstripezac32

That could be.  I told you that he doesn't have the best control. 

Actually, I think that after Papi called him out for the 3rd inside pitch, Gregg was smart enough not to try to hit him again.

Sections
Shortcuts