Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled

By Kevin Cowherd / The Baltimore Sun

As a general rule, baseball players tend to fight about as well as hockey players knit.

That’s why bench-clearing brawls are usually pretty dull affairs. There’s a lot of cussing and grunting and groaning. There’s a lot of pushing and shoving. Maybe you’ll see a haymaker or two whistle harmlessly through the air, but that’s pretty much the extent of the action.

On the other hand, the Orioles are in such a death spiral right now that another melee with the Boston Rex Sox, who come into Camden Yards on Monday for a three-game series, might actually be the high point of the season for O’s fans.

Sure, Sunday’s 8-3 win over the Cleveland Indians was a break from the misery — back-to-back wins would almost call for a parade down Pratt Street, if it weren’t so choked with all the construction for the Baltimore Grand Prix.

But that doesn’t erase the inconvenient facts that the Orioles have lost 14 of their past 17 games and 23 of their past 31, making even another dust-up with the big, bad Red Sox [team stats] something to look forward to.

Has it been only a little more than a week since "Big Papi" David Ortiz [stats] bull-rushed Kevin Gregg and the Red Sox and Orioles traded nasty names and air punches at Fenway Park [map]? A little more than a week since Red Sox starter John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee with a pitch that everyone — even Lackey’s mom — knew was intentional?

Is it really only eight days since Boston right-hander Kyle Weiland, making his first major league start, plunked Mark Reynolds, then Vladimir Guerrero two innings later, cracking a bone in the designated hitter’s right wrist that has led to a stint on the disabled list?

Eight days since Jeremy Guthrie hit Kevin Youkilis [stats] with a dinky changeup that wouldn’t have dented a loaf of bread?

Eight days since Michael Gonzalez threw a heater behind Ortiz, earning a death stare from the big man, after which Gonzo got tossed by the ump along with manager Buck Showalter?

Boy, how times flies when you go through a crazy series like that.

But know this: The Orioles haven’t forgotten any of it. In fact, they’re still plenty steamed about all the Red Sox’s shenanigans over those four games.

They’re steamed at Big Papi for standing at the plate in the first game and admiring his towering home run off Zach Britton for so long you half expected Ortiz to whip out a video camera to film the whole thing.

They’re steamed at their former teammate, Matt Albers, for fist-pumping after strikeouts in that 10-4 Boston blowout July 8 like it was the seventh game of the World Series.

They’re steamed that even though Weiland wasn’t intentionally throwing at Guerrero, the kid’s wildness has cost the Orioles their veteran DH for a while.

"With Vlady out, it’s another thing that doesn’t seem fair about this stuff with Boston," Showalter said Sunday. "Our guy broke his wrist, basically."

Showalter was reluctant to get drawn into any kind of hissing match with the Red Sox, which makes sense after his team was spanked so thoroughly in Boston.

"In my position, you got to be the voice of reason," he said diplomatically. "Emotions run high — mine, too. But there’s a time and a place for everything. I got one very biased opinion on everything, and it’s the Orioles angle.

"It’s baseball. Turn the page. They had their way with us. They’re good. They’re really good."

But asked whether he was as upset as his players with, for instance, Albers’ fist-pumps — this seemed to enrage the O’s more than anything else that happened in Boston — Showalter nodded and flashed a tight smile.

"Here’s the bottom line," he said. "If the players care about something and it bothers them, then you (as the manager) better care about it, too."

At some point Monday, the Orioles and Red Sox [team stats] will learn will learn whether Gregg and Ortiz will be suspended — both appealed their initial four-game suspensions.

But Gregg appeared to have no qualms about his role in the fracas, whether it was pitching inside to Ortiz or jawing at the Red Sox DH after he swung at a 3-0 pitch in a lopsided game.

"The bottom line is, I pitched him in, I got him out and he got mad about it," the Orioles closer said. "He got mad at me the pitch before, I yelled at him the pitch before and he lost his cool and charged the mound."

Gregg said it was the first time in his career that anyone had charged the mound looking for a piece of him. But he didn’t exactly seem sad that it had happened.

"I’m more the believer in old-school baseball," Gregg said. "So every hitter, if they don’t like what’s going on, they have the right to come out there. I don’t condone it. I don’t want people to do it. But it’s what we do. If (hitters) don’t like what’s going on, come out. We’re all grown men, we can defend ourselves."

Yep, it’ll be just another series when the Red Sox come to town Monday.

No hard feelings between these two teams.

None whatsoever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled

I hope the only "message" we send is by mopping the floor once again with this whiny, jealous loser team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled

I didn't realize Cowherd had access to Lackey's mom. 

See you at Fenway South on Wednesday!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

IF MLB really wanted to punish Gregg,they could have made him sign a 2 year extension with the O's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well papi got his suspension reduced to 3 games. crawdaddy is back so looks like things are covered. we need timmy to do his thang tonite.

I got a message for the baltimore scribe............eat my red sox shorts!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Showalter inherited a bad team and his frustration and animosity towards the Sox is apparent. He has chosen to play thugball knowing full well that his team can't compete w/the Sox. The O's are 18.5 gms behind the Sox and there will be more Sox fans at the 3 gms than O's fans.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Good points.... I don't know what the heck happened to that team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

The Sox just need to "stay in their lane", take 2 of 3 and move on to the next thing.  We don't need broken hands from being hit by pitches.  Let the Orioles flare their nostrils.  The Sox have bigger fish to fry and I have more clichés to list.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It would appear the Orioles chose the wrong path as far back as signing Albert Bell. Its a mess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Orioles' theme song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjLkB7BlpA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wow.  Even the Orioles' writers are jaded amateurs.

Sox break out the bats and destroy this team.  Here's hoping the Rays take 3 or 4 from NY. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled:
    The Sox just need to "stay in their lane", take 2 of 3 and move on to the next thing.  We don't need broken hands from being hit by pitches.  Let the Orioles flare their nostrils.  The Sox have bigger fish to fry and I have more clichés to list.
    Posted by jimdavis

I just hope Youk gets thru this series without being hit, the way he hits he is the one that  worry's me

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah..I have a message..Move on and lets play ball..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled:
    ...making even another dust-up with the big, bad Red Sox [ team stats ] something to look forward to. Has it been only a little more than a week since "Big Papi" David Ortiz [ stats ] bull-rushed Kevin Gregg and the Red Sox and Orioles traded nasty names and air punches at Fenway Park [ map ] ? A little more than a week since Red Sox starter John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee with a pitch that everyone — even Lackey’s mom — knew was intentional? Is it really only eight days since Boston right-hander Kyle Weiland, making his first major league start, plunked Mark Reynolds, then Vladimir Guerrero two innings later, cracking a bone in the designated hitter’s right wrist that has led to a stint on the disabled list? Eight days since Jeremy Guthrie hit Kevin Youkilis [ stats ] with a dinky changeup that wouldn’t have dented a loaf of bread? Eight days since Michael Gonzalez threw a heater behind Ortiz, earning a death stare from the big man, after which Gonzo got tossed by the ump along with manager Buck Showalter? Boy, how times flies when you go through a crazy series like that. But know this: The Orioles haven’t forgotten any of it. In fact, they’re still plenty steamed about all the Red Sox’s shenanigans over those four games. They’re steamed at Big Papi for standing at the plate in the first game and admiring his towering home run off Zach Britton for so long you half expected Ortiz to whip out a video camera to film the whole thing. They’re steamed at their former teammate, Matt Albers, for fist-pumping after strikeouts in that 10-4 Boston blowout July 8 like it was the seventh game of the World Series. They’re steamed that even though Weiland wasn’t intentionally throwing at Guerrero, the kid’s wildness has cost the Orioles their veteran DH for a while. "With Vlady out, it’s another thing that doesn’t seem fair about this stuff with Boston," Showalter said Sunday. "Our guy broke his wrist, basically." Showalter was reluctant to get drawn into any kind of hissing match with the Red Sox, which makes sense after his team was spanked so thoroughly in Boston. "In my position, you got to be the voice of reason," he said diplomatically. "Emotions run high — mine, too. But there’s a time and a place for everything.  I don’t want people to do it. But it’s what we do. If (hitters) don’t like what’s going on, come out. We’re all grown men, we can defend ourselves." Yep, it’ll be just another series when the Red Sox come to town Monday. No hard feelings between these two teams. None whatsoever.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

They haven't forgotten a thing ... sounds so mature.  Cowherd can list all the offenses ... am I wrong, but were they one sided?  Am I wrong but didn't GREGG say something to Papi as he was going down the baseline?  Am I wrong that GREGG stepped off the mound toward Papi before Papi "bull rushed" him?

I could be wrong.  Probably am.  But what gives Gregg the right to be so demonstrative but Papi can't show his irritation at being thrown at three times (in his mind, I think ... but mine, too)

Showalter claims he's the voice of reason?  He's the instigator ....

Nice going, Cowherd.  You give the maroon who's standing in a patch of spilled gas a light ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled:
    The Orioles' theme song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjLkB7BlpA
    Posted by LloydDobler

Good pick, Lloyd.

Only they don't look nearly as good as Natalie ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

here's my message: Scoreboard

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled : I just hope Youk gets thru this series without being hit, the way he hits he is the one that  worry's me
    Posted by tc25

I was thinking the same thing.  His fingers and wrists are exposed if the Orioles send a message.  Plus Youk fouls pitches off his feet almost every game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled : I was thinking the same thing.  His fingers and wrists are exposed if the Orioles send a message.  Plus Youk fouls pitches off his feet almost every game.
    Posted by jimdavis

Hey Jim.  Nice thoughts.

I'm surprised this guy can even walk after some of those shots.  I love watching the reaction of the home-plate fans when he (or others) fouls off himself.  Their faces tell it all.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled : Good pick, Lloyd. Only they don't look nearly as good as Natalie ....
    Posted by SinceYaz

Oh no, not even close!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have a message for the Orioles? Orioles’ anger at Red Sox hasn’t cooled : Natalie is lovely, but this one may be more appropriate with the word "again" in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk8S6JNY--k
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Gotta admit, I like this song better. But Chris Robinson is no Natalie Merchant!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Posted by jimdavis

The sox don't need any more suspensions either. They need to ignore any provocations, unless out and out attacked. It doesn't matter to the Orioles if their players get suspended. They are not going anywhere, anyways. Fighting with the sox would be the most exciting thing their fans have to watch all season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

Just remember, Cowherd like most media types, is an ambulance chasing instigator.  They love to stir *&%$ up so they can then write/talk about it.  I am also concerned about Youk in any beanball fest.  I don't have the stats in front of me, and it may only seem like Youk gets plunked twice as many times as everyone else in baseball combined, but why is he so frequently the target of retaliation?  Hey, I understand we have hit a lot of guys this year.  Guys getting hit "to keep our pitchers honest" is part of the game.  But why is it always (or seem like always) Youk when it's obviously retribution (this Big Papi incident not withstanding)?  The guy plays hard...you'd think other teams would respect that...but they seem to detest him.  What gives?

Sections
Shortcuts