Do You Like This One Game PlayOff.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Do You Like This One Game PlayOff.....

Or 2 Out Of 3

Or 3 Out Of 5

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Re: Do You Like This One Game PlayOff.....

I don't too much care for a one game winner take all, however in the case of the wild card, maybe it is fitting.

Since they didn't win their division, it makes it tougher to get in. It doesn't put them on the same footing as the division winners, which isn't really fair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't too much care for a one game winner take all, however in the case of the wild card, maybe it is fitting.

Since they didn't win their division, it makes it tougher to get in. It doesn't put them on the same footing as the division winners, which isn't really fair.

[/QUOTE]

I like it, actually.

How exciting are all those one game playoff games, when teams are tied for the division, at the end of the season?

The only thing that worries me is a blown call by an ump.

That would be a lousy way to lose a shot at the LDS.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Morning Mike,  i wonder if something like that affects game decisions, in a game like that you don't want to be the team that's trailing late game...i think it would be hard to not press a little..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or 2 Out Of 3

Or 3 Out Of 5

[/QUOTE]

I would like this one game playoff much better if the Red Sox were in it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

BTW: is anyone else using IE8 having problems with this site?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think it's rinky-dink, but it probably succeeds in adding some excitement at the end of the season.  Just don't tell me it's all about fairness.  Detroit is in with 88 wins.  Baltimore or Texas is going home with 93 wins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's rinky-dink, but it probably succeeds in adding some excitement at the end of the season.  Just don't tell me it's all about fairness.  Detroit is in with 88 wins.  Baltimore or Texas is going home with 93 wins.

[/QUOTE]

Unless MLB goes back to the days of one division for each league, you're always going to have that inequity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Morning Mike,  i wonder if something like that affects game decisions, in a game like that you don't want to be the team that's trailing late game...i think it would be hard to not press a little..

[/QUOTE]

Morning Jete, Texas just better not let the O's take them into extra innings.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Not me, and not in 2-3 or 3-5. IMHO it cheapens the whole playoffs rather than add excitement.

I liked the one W/C team because it gave a 4th team to make playoff scheduling come out "even", but having two W/C teams puts those two teams at such a pitching disadvantage that I see no way any W/C team will ever win the WS. 

It does nothing but raise false hopes for the fans of two teams. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

It's a matter of perspective, Zac. 

I liked the single WC because it recognized that one division may have the two best teams, and I want the two best teams in the playoffs.  At the same time I don't want that WC team to be at the huge pitching disadvantage they're at now. 

Maybe I'll eat these words (and I almost hope I do for the sake of the game) but I think this current setup almost guarantees the team playing the WC winner a spot in the LCS.  That works ok as long as the WC winner and the team with the most wins aren't in the same division, but if they are then the team with the next best record gets (IMO) almost a "free pass" to the LCS while the team with the best record has to fight to get there. 

For me it's all about pitching matchups and rotations and I think this screws up everything. 

But... it's...

JMHO! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I for 1 like it.  It does add more value to winning the division.  I wondered though (prior to getting into this year) did MLB come up with the idea because, atleast in the AL, so someone other than the RS get the post season opportunity,because they kept getting into the playoffs as the WC.  Also, would the Orioles season be cheapened by the fact the RS didn't put a team on the field against the Yankees that could win a game and they didn't get in. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

It's like the stupid play in games in March Madness.

Let's win this one, so we're guaranteed to lose the next game!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I have no idea what they planned on doing in the past if two teams tied for a WC spot! :-)

Yup, agree to disagree, and it all comes out in the wash.

And you know what?  No matter what happens, it's just baseball!  :-))

I'd like to be able to wish your Yankees good luck in the playoffs, but how's about if I just say I hope they don't have any BAD luck?   LOL

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or 2 Out Of 3

Or 3 Out Of 5

[/QUOTE]

I would like this one game playoff much better if the Red Sox were in it.

[/QUOTE]  Don't hold your breath for the Red Sox to be in that position any time soon.  As for the one game knockout, I like it. It makes winning the division all the more important and gives the division winners a much deserved advantage over the 2 wild card teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I liked the single WC because it recognized that one division may have the two best teams, and I want the two best teams in the playoffs.  At the same time I don't want that WC team to be at the huge pitching disadvantage they're at now. 

Maybe I'll eat these words (and I almost hope I do for the sake of the game) but I think this current setup almost guarantees the team playing the WC winner a spot in the LCS.  That works ok as long as the WC winner and the team with the most wins aren't in the same division, but if they are then the team with the next best record gets (IMO) almost a "free pass" to the LCS while the team with the best record has to fight to get there. 

For me it's all about pitching matchups and rotations and I think this screws up everything. 

But... it's...

JMHO! 

[/QUOTE]

They actually got rid of this restriction under the new format.  The team with the best record will play the WC winner even if they're in the same division.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But... it's...

JMHO! 

[/QUOTE]

They actually got rid of this restriction under the new format.  The team with the best record will play the WC winner even if they're in the same division.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I (obviously) didn't know that!

Ok, I like it a little better now.... but I'm still not crazy about it!  :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

No, not at all.

The playoffs should, as accurately as possible, determine the best team.  Not the best team on one particular day.  If MLB must have an other round of playoffs then they should shorten the season to 158 games and hold legitimate series to find a champion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to never1954's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I for 1 like it.  It does add more value to winning the division.  I wondered though (prior to getting into this year) did MLB come up with the idea because, atleast in the AL, so someone other than the RS get the post season opportunity,because they kept getting into the playoffs as the WC.  Also, would the Orioles season be cheapened by the fact the RS didn't put a team on the field against the Yankees that could win a game and they didn't get in. 

[/QUOTE]

Didn't those same Red Sox lay down in Baltimore before vanishing in New York?  Seems both teams received three easy victories, how is one more problematic than the other?